Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 99 of 99

Thread: Attention Members with ADHD

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    682
    kindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to behold

    Quote Originally Posted by raindrop99 View Post
    I'm sure I've had other posts on the lists of non stimulents I have tried including stattera, clonadine and Wellbutrion . Before trying stimulants, only last year starting with concerta, Ritalin ( for less than a week) and then vyvanse . I had seizures on wellbutrion and became suicidal on straterra. It was not depression related. It was that med. I had never felt that way before and it was shortly after I started it and went away after discontinuing.
    I am on adderall xr now and it has helped my anxiety if anything . I don't feel the least bit jittery or jumpy on it. Or in anyway stimulated or high. I still have focus and concentration issues but it has improved my depression and anxiety so naturally the a.d.d symptoms are improving but nothing miraculous. I was diagnosed as an adult just a few years ago from a psycologist because I asked to be tested. It had became severve along with my depression and anxiety. My mom agrees I showed the symptoms all my life so I believe I'm correctly diagnosed but have other issues that go along with it and cause increased or decreased severity .

    Holy cow! another doppelganger? Sorry for the ramble but....You would think adderall would make those symptoms worse. BUT IT DOESN'T with me either. Like you said-not miraculous-and I was diagnosed as an adult with ADD-not ADHD. So I've only read this thread for a few minutes-come across TWO people that helps with anxiety. What about panic attacks though? I still get those-mainly related to sensory memories. I tried explaining to a friend how adderall helps with my anxiety-and it said NO WAY- it is speed- it should make it worse. But he uses it to party- where as I am prescribed and don't abuse (for the most part). Can you sleep after taking it? I can. Does it effect your appetite? I haven't noticed a difference. How does it work with people who are diagnosed ADHD? There is a clear difference between the two-being around children for 13 years-I sometimes feel like I can diagnose. I vaguely remember (this was WAY back) a teacher would give a student who had SEVERE ADHD a cup of mountain dew in the morning (with parent's permission) and he calmed down within seconds-so not a caffeine crash. But by lunch time-he was bouncing off the walls again. My friend who takes adderall to party can't eat or sleep on it-and gets jittery. Found this in an http://www.additudemag.com/adhd-web/article/11070.html

    Adderall is a mixture of four different amphetamine salts — dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, and amphetamine sulfate. The FDA has approved a generic version of both the immediate-release (Adderall IR) and extended-release (Adderall XR) versions.

    How amphetamine works to improve the impairments of ADHD is not known.
    But it doesn't mention anything about ADD and Adderall.
    "The famous psychiatrist and author of Man and His Symbols, Carl Jung, once said, 'The dream is the small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul…'" Sean Lysaght

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    682
    kindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to behold

    Quote Originally Posted by raindrop99 View Post
    I'm sure I've had other posts on the lists of non stimulents I have tried including stattera, clonadine and Wellbutrion . Before trying stimulants, only last year starting with concerta, Ritalin ( for less than a week) and then vyvanse . I had seizures on wellbutrion and became suicidal on straterra. It was not depression related. It was that med. I had never felt that way before and it was shortly after I started it and went away after discontinuing.
    I am on adderall xr now and it has helped my anxiety if anything . I don't feel the least bit jittery or jumpy on it. Or in anyway stimulated or high. I still have focus and concentration issues but it has improved my depression and anxiety so naturally the a.d.d symptoms are improving but nothing miraculous. I was diagnosed as an adult just a few years ago from a psycologist because I asked to be tested. It had became severve along with my depression and anxiety. My mom agrees I showed the symptoms all my life so I believe I'm correctly diagnosed but have other issues that go along with it and cause increased or decreased severity .

    Holy cow! another doppelganger? Sorry for the ramble but....You would think adderall would make those symptoms worse. BUT IT DOESN'T with me either. Like you said-not miraculous-and I was diagnosed as an adult with ADD-not ADHD. So I've only read this thread for a few minutes-come across TWO people that helps with anxiety. What about panic attacks though? I still get those-mainly related to sensory memories. I tried explaining to a friend how adderall helps with my anxiety-and it said NO WAY- it is speed- it should make it worse. But he uses it to party- where as I am prescribed and don't abuse (for the most part). Can you sleep after taking it? I can. Does it effect your appetite? I haven't noticed a difference. How does it work with people who are diagnosed ADHD? There is a clear difference between the two-being around children for 13 years-I sometimes feel like I can diagnose. I vaguely remember (this was WAY back) a teacher would give a student who had SEVERE ADHD a cup of mountain dew in the morning (with parent's permission) and he calmed down within seconds-so not a caffeine crash. But by lunch time-he was bouncing off the walls again. My friend who takes adderall to party can't eat or sleep on it-and gets jittery. Found this in an http://www.additudemag.com/adhd-web/article/11070.html

    Adderall is a mixture of four different amphetamine salts — dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, and amphetamine sulfate. The FDA has approved a generic version of both the immediate-release (Adderall IR) and extended-release (Adderall XR) versions.

    How amphetamine works to improve the impairments of ADHD is not known.
    But it doesn't mention anything about ADD and Adderall.
    "The famous psychiatrist and author of Man and His Symbols, Carl Jung, once said, 'The dream is the small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul…'" Sean Lysaght

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    682
    kindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to behold

    Did some research. Professionals prefer to call Sluggish Conitive Tempto (SCT) Concentration Deficit Disorder (CDD). Interesting.
    "The famous psychiatrist and author of Man and His Symbols, Carl Jung, once said, 'The dream is the small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul…'" Sean Lysaght

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69
    Alderon14 will become famous soon enoughAlderon14 will become famous soon enough

    I have never been diagnosed with ADHD. I never really gave much thought to it until the last year or so when I had my daughter. I've had all the classic troubles parents have: lack of energy, lack of quality sleep, trouble concentrating, trouble remembering things, clumsiness, forgetting what I'm saying mid-sentence, not being able to finish tasks, easily distracted by anything and everything etc. Most people just call this "mom brain" and it makes total sense because: baby. But my daughter is sleeping through the night now, I've worked with a nutritionist to come up with a solid eating plan that provides me with plenty of calories and all the right macros needed for my lifestyle, I exercise 5 days a week, meditate, avoid alcohol, and drink tons of water. My daughter is 18 months old now and I STILL feel like this on a day to day basis. I started looking up my "symptoms" online and of course came across ADHD. I can't say I have every single attribute I've seen listed on those online checklists, but overwhelmingly I seem to experience a majority of them, even after controlling for other health factors like diet and exercise. The symptoms I've been experiencing are way worse now, but when I think back even 10 or 15 years ago (I'm 35) these things were present, if more mildly. So I started considering that perhaps this could be the cause for some of my "fog" and lack of focus. But then I read that ADHD would have to have been present from the time I was a kid if I indeed have it currently. Although I can't say for sure if I remember feeling like this in, say, elementary school, I've talked to both my parents about it and they maintain they never saw any of these symptoms in me. So I'm not sure what to think. I've never brought it up to my doctor but I'm considering it because if there is something wrong with my brain I want to fix it. I just thought I'd share in case anyone has any thoughts on my sitch. Feel free to tell me I'm totally crazy and just a tired-ass mom because that may totally be the case :P
    Likes JacksonMT liked this post

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    406
    Tron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of lightTron28 is a glorious beacon of light

    Quote Originally Posted by Alderon14 View Post
    I have never been diagnosed with ADHD. I never really gave much thought to it until the last year or so when I had my daughter. I've had all the classic troubles parents have: lack of energy, lack of quality sleep, trouble concentrating, trouble remembering things, clumsiness, forgetting what I'm saying mid-sentence, not being able to finish tasks, easily distracted by anything and everything etc. Most people just call this "mom brain" and it makes total sense because: baby. But my daughter is sleeping through the night now, I've worked with a nutritionist to come up with a solid eating plan that provides me with plenty of calories and all the right macros needed for my lifestyle, I exercise 5 days a week, meditate, avoid alcohol, and drink tons of water. My daughter is 18 months old now and I STILL feel like this on a day to day basis. I started looking up my "symptoms" online and of course came across ADHD. I can't say I have every single attribute I've seen listed on those online checklists, but overwhelmingly I seem to experience a majority of them, even after controlling for other health factors like diet and exercise. The symptoms I've been experiencing are way worse now, but when I think back even 10 or 15 years ago (I'm 35) these things were present, if more mildly. So I started considering that perhaps this could be the cause for some of my "fog" and lack of focus. But then I read that ADHD would have to have been present from the time I was a kid if I indeed have it currently. Although I can't say for sure if I remember feeling like this in, say, elementary school, I've talked to both my parents about it and they maintain they never saw any of these symptoms in me. So I'm not sure what to think. I've never brought it up to my doctor but I'm considering it because if there is something wrong with my brain I want to fix it. I just thought I'd share in case anyone has any thoughts on my sitch. Feel free to tell me I'm totally crazy and just a tired-ass mom because that may totally be the case :P
    Could be lots of things. Sleep apnea perhaps. Maybe a hormone deficiency. Depression. Or it could be ADHD. You should definitely get to the bottom of it. I would start with talking to your doc and run blood work. Make sure you get a full thyroid panel including TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. Check your hormones including Estradiol, Total Testosterone, LH, FSH, Prolactin, DHEA, Progesterone.

    I would also check

    Vitamin D
    CBC
    Metabolic Profile
    Iron
    Ferritin

    Probably others but that is what I can think of off the top of my head. And get a sleep study if you snore or are overweight.
    Helpful Alderon14, JacksonMT Rated helpful

  6. There doesn't seem to be much action on this thread started several years ago but I hope we can fire it up again or start a new one because the topic is very important to me. I am an adult with ADHD and was diagnosed until several years ago (ADD really wasn't a thing when I was a kid.) Since diagnosis and finding the right meds it has been a real game changer. It truly affects everything you do.
    Likes NewarkCap liked this post

  7. @Alderon14 I would encourage you to talk with a psychiatrist about it because there are new meds (non narcotic) available that can really help, at least they did for me. But like @Tron28 said it can be other things.

  8. #88
    bupeybob is offline Banned Reason: Selling through forum, vendor middleman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    261
    bupeybob has a spectacular aura aboutbupeybob has a spectacular aura aboutbupeybob has a spectacular aura aboutbupeybob has a spectacular aura aboutbupeybob has a spectacular aura about

    off topic but it may help some of the folk that use ADHD med's, well worth using supplements to get the most out of your medications.
    l-tyrosine is an important one
    also once in a while have one of those protein shakes that gym junkies live off, heaps of essential amino acid's that help fuel the engine.
    co-enzyme q10 for mitochondrial energy
    good multi-vitamin such as swisse, mostly plant based mineral and vitamins
    fish-oil

    Eating healthy food and eating a massive breakfast has helped get rid of some of the side effects and lessened others. Low GI breakfast, and i rarely get bad anxiety and crashes.
    Magnesium @ night is also great

    anyway hope this helps some folk out there

  9. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child when my dad realized how long it took me to study and finish reading books. I was tested and put on medication and it was like night and day. I was the top of my class all through college. Then fast forward and I joined the military for 10 years and was on no meds. It was awful. Concentration and my ability to get anything done was out the window. Deployed several times and was diagnosed with PTSD and severe depression. My dad came down to visit me and asked why I wasn’t on medicine for it still. The military refused to treat me for it even though I was prescribed meds my whole childhood and young adult life. I always thought I was stupid and unable to focus once again. Finally now I am in the VA system and did the tests, but man it has been a nightmare getting back on meds. The protocol that the VA follows is ridiculous and has me very frustrated. Finally getting prescribed adderall at my next appointment.... hoping this will help with work and my forgetfulness, I feel like a child and I constantly have to write a note for everything just to forget about the notes all over again. Praying that this process is less painful as time goes on. The 5 hour test was awful.
    Helpful El Grandote Rated helpful
    Likes Ringmaster, dirtdevil9 liked this post

  10. I have had ADD my whole life but it was not diagnosed till late in life. I’m currently on vyvanse and it has changed my life. Happy to have found help for this.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Here and there, mostly Midwest, USA
    Posts
    104
    Ringmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura about

    I finally saw a psychiatrist this morning to address a lifetime of untreated depression. In the course of my two-hour evaluation, one symptom I described, among many others, was how my focus and task orientation goes out the window when I’m depressed.
    I’m not sure where the miscommunication happened, but this doctor seemed absolutely confident in diagnosing me with ADD based on the fact that my symptoms of depression can sometimes mimic those of ADD. I spent 15 minutes trying to walk it back. Honestly, I could have walked out of there with a fat script of Focalin if I’d wanted to.
    The reason I bring this up is to illustrate that, while many people find astounding relief with Adderall or Ritalin (and I mean it, of course, these medications can save saves!), I think this is one disorder that may be too often misdiagnosed due to slipshod or lazy diagnostic processes.

    My point is that, similar to opiates, amphetamines et al have a place in psych treatment and can work magic. Given to the wrong people or for the wrong reason, they can be addictive, downright dangerous, and end up ruining lives.

    There’s a definite flip side to all of these meds. I guess it just jarred me to actually encounter one of many medical professionals responsible for flooding our society with amphetamines.
    Again, when they’re called for and needed, they really can turn lives around, but there’s a balance that simply hasn’t yet been struck. When it comes to stims and opiates, both, doctors either misdiagnose, overprescribe, or (as is the current case with opiates) are forced to cut meds to deserving patients. Nothing about our healthcare system is perfect, but come on - we should be better at this by now.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Here and there, mostly Midwest, USA
    Posts
    104
    Ringmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura about

    Quote Originally Posted by bupeybob View Post
    off topic but it may help some of the folk that use ADHD med's, well worth using supplements to get the most out of your medications.
    l-tyrosine is an important one
    also once in a while have one of those protein shakes that gym junkies live off, heaps of essential amino acid's that help fuel the engine.
    co-enzyme q10 for mitochondrial energy
    good multi-vitamin such as swisse, mostly plant based mineral and vitamins
    fish-oil

    Eating healthy food and eating a massive breakfast has helped get rid of some of the side effects and lessened others. Low GI breakfast, and i rarely get bad anxiety and crashes.
    Magnesium @ night is also great

    anyway hope this helps some folk out there
    Sorry for the tangent rant.
    Methyl folate is a supplement that can be very useful for some people; for others, it does nothing. Many people who suffer psych disorders also have issues with DNA methylation. It’s the process your body uses to identify and mark mistakes and deleterious mutations when DNA replicates. Methyl folate can help correct this cellular mechanism and is definitely worth a try. It’s essentially a B vitamin, and there are very few interactions to worry about. But as with anything else, do your research, talk to a doctor, be safe.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    791
    dearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to behold

    As someone who at age 40 has only just been diagnosed APPARENTLY as having ADHD, here are my symptoms / perceptions.

    As a kid...I had no issues except I had a stutter so talked really fast to try to hide it. I was extremely shy. I was a good and well behaved student and fine at home too. No issues. Intelligent. Highly anxious with some OCD issues that I hid. Insomnia.

    As a teenager...still a good student despite often being bored out of my brain. I studied at the last minute on my bed with the TV and radio on (couldn't stand silence), found exams easy, had a great memory and wrote very eloquently at a fast pace. At university I was too bored and skipped many classes, though I still did well. Still self conscious and didn't talk much. Still anxious and with OCD issues as well as some depression and borderline personality disorder traits. Insomnia remains.

    As an adult...avoided most social stuff. Self conscious. Awkward. Anxious. Panic attacks now. Depression worsening. BPD symptoms appeared at times. OCD changed from mostly compulsive rituals to mostly physical tics. Insomnia remains. No ambition to have a career or work at all. Easily bored. Still had a good memory and an articulate written communicator. Addictive traits worsen. Shopping, smoking, shoplifting and other illegal activities (never caught as I was quietly good at them and look innocent and felt no guilt so acted normally), binge eating, picking at my skin (since I was 4 years old, but now picking at more things than just my fingernails).

    Only over the past 2-3 years, PTSD has been added to all of that, the depression is much worse to the point where I do not really enjoy anything, but just in terms of the possible ADHD stuff, I must quote part of what a previous poster said as it mirrors how I feel so accurately...

    "Talking really fast and switching between subjects very quickly during conversation. I don't talk much at all (very introverted person), but when I do, I tend to rant on and at a quick pace."

    "Mental restlessness. Constantly. On a related note, I get impatient and frustrated really easily. It's like my brain is moving so quickly that it makes everything around me seem like it takes forever. I can't stand when people talk slow -- I don't want to spend all this time sitting there and listening, just hurry up and finish your thought! I often find myself trying to finish other people's sentences because of this." (I also hate waiting at traffic lights and can't stand slow walkers). The more alert / awake I am, the more annoyed I am.

    "It takes me FOREVER to finish reading books (in the rare case that I actually do finish a book). I CONSTANTLY find myself re-reading sentences and paragraphs MULTIPLE times. It's like, I'll zone out mid-sentence or mid-paragraph and completely forget what was even said by the end of it."

    I find, with the above, it's my working memory that's shot. I can't even BEGIN a book (or even a magazine) due to total disinterest, but if I do read something, my eyes jump around the page. It's really hard to stick to just reading what I'm reading at that moment in time. And even if I do, I'll read 5 words and by the time I get to the 5th I've forgotten what the first 2-3 were, so the contextual continuity is gone. And thus so is any slight interest I might have had.

    I am SO easily distracted while talking. If a bird squawks or someone or something interrupts, I have literally NO idea what I was saying. Sometimes no amount of prompting will bring back my train of thought. It feels like it's just dissolved.

    I am fine at listening to someone else speak though.

    So...medication. I recently was prescribed medication (Ritalin) and YUCK! I had hopes this might help me, even if just a bit. Ahhh...no.

    My brain shuts down after 30 minutes and I can't think or focus. If I talk, I slur as I'm so tired and lethargic. If I try and write something, the words don't flow. I actually skip words like as, and and is. I feel literally STUPID.

    I feel like I'm not present in the world and like I'm not in my head. I am so sluggish and have NO motivation to do tasks, am slower to do tasks, still find things boring, still feel irritated and impatient with things, and still have no memory or decent attention span when talking.

    NO appetite (I already have minimal appetite due to chronic stress) and even long after the effects wear off, I am still not hungry and actually feel full.

    My eyes glaze over and it's obvious to other people. I seem to look through them. My pupils actually become tiny and constricted, which is VERY odd as on stimulants they are supposed to dilate / become bigger. On opioids or sedatives they are supposed to constrict.

    Physically, after 30 minutes, I feel short of breath and like my chest is tight. It feels like someone heavy is sitting on my shoulders with their legs wrapped around my neck and feet sticking into my chest. It feels like I can't do much physically (not that I want to), as my heart feels...easily tired.

    After 4-5 hours, it wears off and it's an obvious relief. It literally feels like a weight and tension has been lifted and my mind fog cleared. About an hour after that, my pupils return to normal.

    So. I don't know what any of this means.
    Helpful El Grandote, temmuz Rated helpful

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    212
    Doc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to all

    Just came across this thread and found it really interesting reading. I initially wasn’t going to chime in because I don’t like that I was diagnosed as having ADD @ 44 years of age. But since no one actually knows me here, and it may help someone else.. well here goes.
    I didn’t want to believe it when I was first told. And then when I started to come to terms with it, it angered me as I feel perhaps an earlier diagnosis would have helped me greatly in my younger years and especially in school.
    How I was diagnosed was I decided to see a counselor for a half dozen sessions to help me deal with the deep depression I was falling into while dealing with daily severe pain from the Ankylosing Spondylitis.
    At our last meeting she asked if I would see a psychiatrist friend of hers for a meeting. She didn’t tell me exactly why, I believe she said he may help add to my rehab of sorts in dealing with the depression.
    So I figured I’d oblige since I felt she had been great a great help for over me those last 6 weeks.
    Little did I know some of the items we discussed, led her to suspect that I suffered from ADD, and wanted me to meet with the psych without any nervousness or preconceived notions, knowing if I didn’t know why exactly she sent me to meet with him, I’d be more likely to answer truthfully without thinking about my answers to his questions.
    What I also didn’t realize in our 1 hr meeting was his questions were geared towards the questions like in those forms or tests to determine whether or not I indeed had it. Obviously she had discussed her suspicions with him when sending him the referral to meet.
    In the end, I find out from him every single question I answered confirmed the diagnosis.
    And no, at this point I’m not taking any meds for it. First I feel it would be beneficial for me to get off the pain meds. It feels like too much to deal with right now, and I feel like since I’ve dealt with it this long and found my own way to succeed in life, I may as well keep going this way for a while longer.
    Some of the questions I remember standing out:

    • Ha! I loathe slow anything. Slow talkers, slow walkers, slow drivers, slow ambling shoppers blocking the grocery isle (don’t remember if this is one of the issues with having ADD, but thought it interesting since I just read that in the prior post).
    • Did horrible in school, rarely was able to turn in a completed assignment.
    • Am late to every single appointment. I hate this one, and no matter what I tell myself I can’t seem to leave on time. This one really frustrates me and is extremely embarrassing, especially when I’m late getting to a meeting with a potential new client. And creates avoidable anxiety trying to get to my doc appointments early.
    • I’ll walk into a room to grab something only to stop & end up standing there, often never remembering what I went to go retrieve.
    • If in a discussion with my SO, or anyone I deal with in my business, during the conversation 1 of 2 things will happen: either something they said will lead me to think of something else that applies and I end up not hearing anything that was just said (embarrassing also as I have to ask them to repeat themselves), or if I try to remember to address it when they finish talking, I never can remember what it was.
    • I used to think I wouldn’t suffer from insomnia if I wasn’t dealing with the pain. But came to realize when I crawl into bed for the night, I won’t fall asleep for hours most nights as I basically go back through my entire day, and often that triggers other thoughts or memories. I’m amazed how often I’ll look at the clock thinking it’s maybe 1:30am, and discover its 5:30am. I have a terrible time shutting off my brain at night. And I usually can’t do that until I’ve analyzed every detail about my day.

    More I’m sure but that’s what stands out right now.
    I do wonder at times how much the above items would improve if I went on some ADD med.
    But at this point in my life I’m absolutely sick of popping pills and can’t stomach the thought of adding something else to the mix. Plus I’m not sure I would get my controlled meds prescribed if I went on a stimulant. Even if they did, it’s just not something I want to deal with right now. I have enough on my plate already trying to figure out other ways to deal with the nerve and spine pain.
    Helpful temmuz Rated helpful

  15. My add was more of the day dreaming kind. I was less hyperactive more just restless and couldn’t stay in the room. I take adderall now 15mg daily, and I feel more calm and directional. Less silly and vacant in the head.
    Likes creewillow liked this post

  16. I find it fascinating how ADD/ADHD meds work. My son has autism, with ADHD. He took meds for years and it made a tremendous amount of difference in our lives. He stopped taking the meds, by his decision, two years ago (he’s now 21) and found he’s good without them now. When he was younger, I had a routine of giving him his meds in the morning at the same time I took my own. One day, I got distracted between the time I put the meds in my hand to the point where I would normally give him his. Not thinking, I popped my own medication in my mouth and swallowed it down with water. As soon as I swallowed, it hit me that I still had his med (he was on Concerta) in my hand along with mine. Talk about a miserable experience! I felt AWFUL. It was like the worst case of coffee jitters ever. All I wanted to do was sleep it off, and that was impossible. I did get my house cleaned top to bottom, so at least that was a plus. I remember thinking “and people take this for recreational purposes? Why?!?” Lol! At any rate, truly interesting to me how differently it works on someone who really does need it, vs. someone who doesn’t.
    Helpful El Grandote Rated helpful
    Likes RunRunRiver liked this post

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    30,000 ft above sea level
    Posts
    732
    El Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant future

    Default Quick Antidote for getting confused and taking a double dose of ADHD meds !!

    Quote Originally Posted by creewillow View Post
    I find it fascinating how ADD/ADHD meds work. My son has autism, with ADHD. He took meds for years and it made a tremendous amount of difference in our lives. He stopped taking the meds, by his decision, two years ago (he’s now 21) and found he’s good without them now. When he was younger, I had a routine of giving him his meds in the morning at the same time I took my own. One day, I got distracted between the time I put the meds in my hand to the point where I would normally give him his. Not thinking, I popped my own medication in my mouth and swallowed it down with water. As soon as I swallowed, it hit me that I still had his med (he was on Concerta) in my hand along with mine. Talk about a miserable experience! I felt AWFUL. It was like the worst case of coffee jitters ever. All I wanted to do was sleep it off, and that was impossible. I did get my house cleaned top to bottom, so at least that was a plus. I remember thinking “and people take this for recreational purposes? Why?!?” Lol! At any rate, truly interesting to me how differently it works on someone who really does need it, vs. someone who doesn’t.
    @creewillow,
    I can understand, how a honest mishap can occur.............without a very strong sedative, which is not practical for nearly all of us, the best thing to do is keep a large bottle
    of Orange Juice in the frig, and as fast as you can pour at least a tall teaglass of OJ in the glass and gulp it down as fast as you can. Even a 2nd tall glass of OJ will not be a bad
    idea.

    This will greatly help neutralize especially the fast acting stimulant for ADHD, or ADD inattentive type. It also works for the ER meds for ADHD & Narcolepy as well.

    I am not a MD practicing medicine with out a MD license, just from the school of hard knocks and, my former attendance to hear a DFW M.D give a lecture about what to do
    if this happens to you. I have been under medical supervision for ADD combined type since I just turned 40 some years old, thus, even now I always keep some fresh Orange
    Juice in my refrig.....................sometimes some Grapefruit juice, but, that is not the number #1 choice, because some minor anxiolytic and some hypnotics / barbs it is
    alleged to BOOST the meds instead of weaken them, among other meds.

    My source of information came from Paul Elliott M.D. "Complicatons of Medicating" at a ADDA Annual National Adult Conference in Wash DC.
    Helpful creewillow, ludwig1961 Rated helpful
    Likes RunRunRiver liked this post
    "Death is not the greatest loss for life. The greatest loss is what dies inside of us while we live"
    Norman Cousins

  18. @El Grandote Good to know about the OJ. I’m going to store that in my brain as a “just in case”. This actually happened about a decade ago. Thankfully, I was a stay at home mom at the time and just sucked it up til I felt better. I almost panicked at first, then reminded myself I gave the medication to my child every day, I’d be okay. Thankfully, the chance of this particular mixup happening again is nil. No one in my household uses it anymore. It’s definitely one of those things I’ll never forget though!
    Likes El Grandote, ludwig1961 liked this post

  19. Hello fellow stay at home mom! Well former it sounds like!

  20.  
    Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Should School-Age children with ADHD Be treated with Ritalin and Other Stimulants?
    By LalaLand in forum ADHD and mental performace enhancing drugs (prescription stimulants)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 05:31 PM
  2. Can I join ROTC/Army if I've used Ritalin but have never been diagnosed with ADHD/ADD
    By amayajoblack in forum ADHD and mental performace enhancing drugs (prescription stimulants)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 12:02 AM
  3. The Neurology of Attention or Inattention (ADHD)
    By westcoastmagazine in forum ADHD and mental performace enhancing drugs (prescription stimulants)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
  4. Should School-Age children with ADHD Be treated with Ritalin and Other Stimulants?
    By LalaLand in forum ADHD and mental performace enhancing drugs (prescription stimulants)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
  5. Should School-Age children with ADHD Be treated with Ritalin and Other Stimulants?
    By LalaLand in forum ADHD and mental performace enhancing drugs (prescription stimulants)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Protected by Copyscape CopySentry. Do not copy.