Thread: Good choice of antibiotic for when it's really needed ?

Default Good choice of antibiotic for when it's really needed ?

The title suggests a bit where I'd get it from ...

As background: while I've never needed antibiotics, this may change. The emergency department in the local hospital has been closed (!) and I really don't like 'my' doctor.

So I'm thinking about a broad spectrum antibiotic, whether it's for a post apocalyptic scenerio or lack of available local healthcare. I know a reliable source, wide assortment. Since I'm a bit of a novice in this area, any suggestions ? I could just pick one ...
    Likes rainey51 liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brax View Post

As background: while I've never needed antibiotics, this may change. The emergency department in the local hospital has been closed (!) and I really don't like 'my' doctor.

So I'm thinking about a broad spectrum antibiotic, whether it's for a post apocalyptic scenerio or lack of available local healthcare. I know a reliable source, wide assortment. Since I'm a bit of a novice in this area, any suggestions ? I could just pick one ...
    Please take my advice as what it is- coming from a woman with no medical training whatsoever that is speaking only from personal
    experience... that said...
    I really like Keflex (Cefalexin) as a broad spectrum antibiotic. For me, it's more easily tolerated than sulfa drugs and they seem
    to get the job done better than sulfas, imo. As always, do your own due diligence, as I'm sure you will, but Keflex might be
    a good jumping off place for your research. Good luck.
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, b_tches!

After looking for a bit I noticed this chart: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ge_diagram.jpg

It seems that some antibiotics that have (?) the broadest spectrum are not easily available from 'commercial' sources.
    Just in case someone has any comments, in a way it may seem logical to choose a drug with the broadest spectrum but obviously there are also other considerations. Some even appear to be neurotoxic.
    Helpful Mrs Parker, rainey51 Rated helpful

5. good old amoxicillin works for me every time. i'm sensitive to most antibiotics, so it's a safe one IMO.
    Helpful Mrs Parker, pmpl, Brax, rainey51, Ellyn Rated helpful
    Likes Binky liked this post

After looking for a bit I noticed this chart: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ge_diagram.jpg

It seems that some antibiotics that have (?) the broadest spectrum are not easily available from 'commercial' sources.
    Just in case someone has any comments, in a way it may seem logical to choose a drug with the broadest spectrum but obviously there are also other considerations. Some even appear to be neurotoxic.
    That's a great chart! Thank you for sharing it!
    Likes Binky, rainey51 liked this post
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, b_tches!

Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
    Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't trust wiki on anything because anyone can update the site.
    Likes Brax, rainey51 liked this post
    September 9, 2015

Whatever you do, be sure to avoid the fluoroquinolone class - Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin and any generics of these. This particular class of antimicrobials can also produce some of the worst adverse effects of any class of antibiotics. The adverse effects do not happen to everyone, but for some people they are life-changing, and not in a good way. It is a neurotoxin for some people; it causes severe tendon damage for some people; for some people it causes a combination of these effects that is permanent. I will not take any of these drugs for any reason other than to save my life or a limb, and I mean that literally. Only for an infection that is not responsive to ANY other antibiotic. Most people who take them are fine, and the drugs are effective, but for that subset of people who end up "floxed," life can become basically a daily endurance test, and it does not always get better.
    Helpful Brax, Gullible, Mrs Parker, rainey51 Rated helpful
    Likes bluu liked this post

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellyn View Post
    Whatever you do, be sure to avoid the fluoroquinolone class - Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin and any generics of these. This particular class of antimicrobials can also produce some of the worst adverse effects of any class of antibiotics. The adverse effects do not happen to everyone, but for some people they are life-changing, and not in a good way. It is a neurotoxin for some people; it causes severe tendon damage for some people; for some people it causes a combination of these effects that is permanent. I will not take any of these drugs for any reason other than to save my life or a limb, and I mean that literally. Only for an infection that is not responsive to ANY other antibiotic. Most people who take them are fine, and the drugs are effective, but for that subset of people who end up "floxed," life can become basically a daily endurance test, and it does not always get better.
    I was prescribed one of these for a sinus infection that wouldn't go away. Before I took it, I read about it since I'd never heard of it before. I read about the "black box" warning and the tendon issue so I refused to take it and got something else. However, my roommate who had no insurance had a sinus infection too so she took it and it worked. Ya just never know, but I'd avoid them too unless absolutely necessary...
    Helpful Gullible, rainey51 Rated helpful
    Likes Brax liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

Quote Originally Posted by jaders View Post
    I was prescribed one of these for a sinus infection that wouldn't go away. Before I took it, I read about it since I'd never heard of it before. I read about the "black box" warning and the tendon issue so I refused to take it and got something else. However, my roommate who had no insurance had a sinus infection too so she took it and it worked. Ya just never know, but I'd avoid them too unless absolutely necessary...
    This class of antimicrobials works well for many, probably most, people, and it's effective against a wide variety of bacteria, some of which are resistent to other antibiotics. The problem is, for the most part they don't know which patients are susceptible to mitochondrial injury from these drugs. The DO know that people age 60 and up, people who have existing joint or tendon issues, and people with certain other preexisting medical conditions are at higher risk. These drugs should NEVER be given with any type of steroid (although many physicians STILL prescribe the with prednisone), because when taken in combination with steroids the risk of injury increases substantially.
    Helpful jaders, Mrs Parker, Brax, rainey51 Rated helpful

Uncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura about

As a first line antibiotics I would suggest Augmentin. This is amoxicillin, as someone else recommended, with the addition of a beta lactamase inhibitor (clavulanic acid). As many are well aware bacteria have become more resistant in recent years and the addition of clavulanic acid acts as an inhibitor of beta lactamase,an enzyme which bacteria secret to inactive beta lactam antibiotics (the penicillin group of antibiotics). Keflex is also a beta lactam antibiotic and being first generation cephalosporin also susceptible to beta lactamase inactivation. The antibiotics mentioned Amoxicilolin, Keflex and Augmentin are good antibiotics and useful within certain parameters.

However, myself personally, if I had to choose an oral antibiotic, without the assistance of culture and sensitivity testing for a family member, including myself, I would choose Moxifloxacin (Avelox). Moxifloxacin is a fourth generation fluoroquinolone with once a day dosing, and has a very broad range of bacteria that are susceptible to it. I have personally used this med for treatment of pneumonia that Augmentin and Zithromax would not clear. I take heed to the warnings about fluoroquinolones, but sometimes yo have to make an informed decision, weighing the plus and minuses of a situation.

Ideally, you would a a few choices of antibiotics on hand, like Amoxi/clav (Augmentin) for a first line, and perhaps Azithromycin (Zithromax) as a second line and a last resort med like like Moxifloxacin to use if there was no noticeable improvement, or deterioration in condition. With antibiotics if they are working you will sen improvement in condition within 24-48 hours. I there is no improvement, it means either resistance to drug choice, wrong drug choice for the infection (spectrum of effectiveness is not within drugs range of susceptible bacteria) or mistaken diagnosis, that is a number of conditions can present some of the same symptoms as an infection, when in actuality it is disease, and not infection causing illness. Or yes, perhaps infection, but fungal in etiology, which would require antifungal meds for treatment.

When in doubt, present yourself at the nearest emergency room for proper assessment and diagnosis.
    Helpful Denman, Mrs Parker, Brax, rainey51, bluu, Ellyn Rated helpful

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    >Whatever you do, be sure to avoid the fluoroquinolone class - Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin and any generics of these.
    @Ellyn, I agree its very much like playing russian roulette. In addition to the bad reactions you mentioned there are a number of other possibilities like gastrointestinal problems, possibly very severe. When you read tendon problems it may not sound serious but people have had their hamstrings, or achilies tendons break just from normal walking. Not from sports or anything unusual. They needed surgery and were crippled. I've heard of people still having problems a year or two later. Mental disorders, eye problems, insomnia, etc.

When I had my operation last year the doc gave me a script for some of that. I objected but he said there was nothing else that was good. It turned out ok, I didn't get the live shell when I pulled the trigger, lol. I've refused it before and will again if there is any choice in the matter.
    Helpful Mrs Parker, jaders Rated helpful
    Likes Brax, rainey51 liked this post

scruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the roughscruffydog is a jewel in the rough

I keep amoxicillin, keflex, and Cipro on hand at all times....

14. Hi Brax, I reckon Bactrim is the best choice of antibiotic for a variety of bacterial infections. Actively composed of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim, Bactrim has been extremely effective. I hope you know about antibiotic resistance on overuse and underuse. By the way, for what kind of bacterial infection do you need an antibiotic?

15. If you can find it I recently had an access due to a bad tooth which I finally got pulled, but they gave me Bactrim I believe it was called and that stuff worked wonders. The other antibiotic I have used that's worked well is Amoxicillin.

Palchod will become famous soon enoughPalchod will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Sorry to just jump in here, but I'm curious as to your motivation desire here.
    You are looking for an antibiotic to just have around the house? In case of emergency?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rob View Post
    As a first line antibiotics I would suggest Augmentin. This is amoxicillin, as someone else recommended, with the addition of a beta lactamase inhibitor (clavulanic acid). As many are well aware bacteria have become more resistant in recent years and the addition of clavulanic acid acts as an inhibitor of beta lactamase,an enzyme which bacteria secret to inactive beta lactam antibiotics (the penicillin group of antibiotics). Keflex is also a beta lactam antibiotic and being first generation cephalosporin also susceptible to beta lactamase inactivation. The antibiotics mentioned Amoxicilolin, Keflex and Augmentin are good antibiotics and useful within certain parameters.

However, myself personally, if I had to choose an oral antibiotic, without the assistance of culture and sensitivity testing for a family member, including myself, I would choose Moxifloxacin (Avelox). Moxifloxacin is a fourth generation fluoroquinolone with once a day dosing, and has a very broad range of bacteria that are susceptible to it. I have personally used this med for treatment of pneumonia that Augmentin and Zithromax would not clear. I take heed to the warnings about fluoroquinolones, but sometimes yo have to make an informed decision, weighing the plus and minuses of a situation.

Ideally, you would a a few choices of antibiotics on hand, like Amoxi/clav (Augmentin) for a first line, and perhaps Azithromycin (Zithromax) as a second line and a last resort med like like Moxifloxacin to use if there was no noticeable improvement, or deterioration in condition. With antibiotics if they are working you will sen improvement in condition within 24-48 hours. I there is no improvement, it means either resistance to drug choice, wrong drug choice for the infection (spectrum of effectiveness is not within drugs range of susceptible bacteria) or mistaken diagnosis, that is a number of conditions can present some of the same symptoms as an infection, when in actuality it is disease, and not infection causing illness. Or yes, perhaps infection, but fungal in etiology, which would require antifungal meds for treatment.

When in doubt, present yourself at the nearest emergency room for proper assessment and diagnosis.

Agreed with this last line whole heartedly. It is unlikely the lay person can self-diagnose appropriately, much less choose an appropriate ABx for their perceived bacterial infection. Just popping whatever ABx someone has on hand is dangerous and plays a small/large role in increasing ABx resistance. Additionally, ABx interact with other medications, and without the assessment of a medical professional, it is unlikely the lay person will take all of this into account.

Unless an individual does not have access to healthcare/can not afford medication/etc, then people should be assessed by a physician in a proper clinical setting.
    "A person who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new."

17. Hi @Brax I’m a Doctor, and the jack of all trades is good old penicillin, and maybe a small supply of arythromycin to shift the stubborn infections. These medications r both on the WHO 100 essential medicines. There r much stronger antibiotics, but the side effects r worse the stronger the antibiotic

Dobre
    Romanov

18. Doxcyline works against a multitude of organisms

Trampy will become famous soon enoughTrampy will become famous soon enoughTrampy will become famous soon enoughTrampy will become famous soon enough

If you pick just one get ciprofloxacin 500 mg tablets. It really works. Expired tablets are being resold for use with fish in aquariums.

20. Good choice of antibiotic for when it's really needed ?