Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is my BP too low??

Quote Originally Posted by deadhorse View Post
    my pulse is usually in the 60's, is that too low???
    The normal heart rate for an adult is 60-100. I usually run 80-90 for some reason which has always kind of scared me but my BP is OK - usually. 40-60 is normal for some athletes - marathon runners and so forth. Unless you are feeling faint or dizzy when you stand up from sitting or when getting up in the morning then you have a normal heart rate. Oh, and as long as you don't have irregular heartbeats too.

I was in school recently and working a full time job and my BP was always elevated and I wondered if I needed an antihypertensive, but my doc kept telling me we should hold off. After I finished school (and now that I think about it, during breaks) my BP went back to 120/80. So he was right (he also wanted me to lose weight which I haven't gotten around to doing) My mom has always had low blood pressure and pulse but my dad's was high so I guess I'm the average of the two. The genetic components of physiology and disease states are really fascinating actually.
    Last edited by TheMoon; 06-05-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    Likes badlady liked this post
    For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind - Emerson

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    COSGringo is offline Banned Reason: Reluctantly had to kick off COSGringo because he became consistently belligerent
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    Nope, not at all if you are in shape or young.

Stevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by betsky View Post
    o.k.
    this is an older thread rebooted but the info is confusing.

@COSGringo
    Why are you on lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor, if your bp using both those substances is so low????

What was your average resting bp and was it checked manually or only with a technologic machine??( i refer to the method of attaching a bp cuff to your arm, with a bulb inflater and stethescope reading as manual))

A BP reading of 120/80 is considered the "norm" to judge other readings but every individual is just that, unique, and the persons BP needs to be averaged out with numerous readings, prior to medication induction.
    At 105/65 talikg ephedrine, I'm concerned for you. what is your heartrate/ pulse at this
    BP reading?

@Wabbitt
    hey there, are you still with PR( very concerned, if this member kept taking BP meds etc...that he/she may not only be MIA online.)

As to individuality
    My normal BP is and always has been low.
    120/80 would be a minor alarming for me. I tend to run around 95/65-70.
    \I was taken to a local ambulatory E.R. last fall during a Panic attack at a local store. if someone is unaware, a severe P.A. can mimic a heart attack.

My BP in the triage area was 158/90, my mom was there by that time and i had already beeen hit with a shot of diladaud.
    She mentioned her concern to the nurse and was told that BP "wasn't too bad, considering" Mom is a polite woman, so she asked/told the triage nurse to check my previous hospital records( this A.E.R. is associated with my hospital, so my vitals were easily accessed)

Needless to say the nurse had a sh**fit !
    My prior hospitalization for a cervical fusion showed BP's from 78/56 to 126/84as the highest when I was in pain.

AnywhoooPlease let me know your vitals, as a nurse and fellow member, this has me quite concerned.
    RegardsBetsky
    The pressure stated is to low....but there may be an explanation as to why the Doc put wabbit on the pressure meds!
    I have white coat syndrome ....I can take my pressure and can get it to within reasonable levels at home but at the Doc's office the minute I see that cuff my pressure goes wild ... Like 170/90 there is another name for this type of spike in pressure. They put me on lisinopril also to keep the spikes lower , which it really didn't do...but then when I would take it at home it would be Low like 110/72.
    I even bring my unit to the Doc to show my readings and she was still concerned about the high readings in the office....well I researched it and got off the bp med. I don't need the Doc to cover her ass in the office because I have White Coat Syndrome. Basically I almost have a panic attack when I get my pressure taken in a hospital or Doc's office.....but can take it at home and it is just fine. Anyway that may be one explanation as to the Doc's thinking.
    Have you ever taken your pressure when your having a panic attack or you just had a verbal confrontation with your spouse or kid? That's what it feels like to me when I get mine taken at the Doc's. By the way almost everyone in my family has it! Once you get freaked out about your pressure in a Doctor setting it goes crazy every time! Damn White Coat Syndrome!,,
    Last edited by Stevo1; 06-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Stare into my Avatar....Relax

The American Heart Association has some great information for those concerned with BP and need to get educated before seeing a doc. Here is a link for the basics for those not already on meds:
    Understanding Blood Pressure Readings

I jump up to "prehypertension" whenever I am stressed. I take antianxiety meds periodically and they always lower my BP. I'm glad you brought up White Coat Syndrome @Stevo1 . I wonder how many are misdiagnosed because of the stress of going to the doctor? Based on some of the unfortunate doctor-patient interactions commonly described on PR there is probably a lot of high BP going around!

Low blood pressure is an interesting phenomenon too, the AHA talks about it on their site as well: Low Blood Pressure Hypothyroidism is one cause of low blood pressure and is significantly more common in women. How is your thyroid function? There are so many factors to consider.

Yours is an interesting case and I agree with you @COSGringo , the baclofen can lower BP as well which might be adding to your situation. About 9% of patients experienced low BP in the clinical trials for baclofen and that was on the typical dosages. I have heard about baclofen and its benefit for alcoholism - many swear by it. Do you get BP meds and the baclofen from the same doc? (I may have missed that in your posts) I was just wondering if the doc who prescribes the BP meds is familiar with the off-label use of baclofen and may not realize there is an interaction happening. @EBDude 's link is one I use as well, it's very thorough.
    Helpful Stevo1 Rated helpful
    For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind - Emerson

COSGringo is offline Banned Reason: Reluctantly had to kick off COSGringo because he became consistently belligerent
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by bibliotek View Post
    The American Heart Association has some great information for those concerned with BP and need to get educated before seeing a doc. Here is a link for the basics for those not already on meds:
    Understanding Blood Pressure Readings

I jump up to "prehypertension" whenever I am stressed. I take antianxiety meds periodically and they always lower my BP. I'm glad you brought up White Coat Syndrome @Stevo1 . I wonder how many are misdiagnosed because of the stress of going to the doctor? Based on some of the unfortunate doctor-patient interactions commonly described on PR there is probably a lot of high BP going around!

Low blood pressure is an interesting phenomenon too, the AHA talks about it on their site as well: Low Blood Pressure Hypothyroidism is one cause of low blood pressure and is significantly more common in women. How is your thyroid function? There are so many factors to consider.

Yours is an interesting case and I agree with you @COSGringo , the baclofen can lower BP as well which might be adding to your situation. About 9% of patients experienced low BP in the clinical trials for baclofen and that was on the typical dosages. I have heard about baclofen and its benefit for alcoholism - many swear by it. Do you get BP meds and the baclofen from the same doc? (I may have missed that in your posts) I was just wondering if the doc who prescribes the BP meds is familiar with the off-label use of baclofen and may not realize there is an interaction happening. @EBDude 's link is one I use as well, it's very thorough.
    I definitely don't get the BP meds from the same doc. There aren't many doctors that will prescribe hi dose baclofen for alcholism. I am going to halve my BP meds and keep checking. I may not need it anymore. The drinking might have been making it worse too. I have not seen my regular doc since I've been on bac. I want to have a long clean bill of health before I present it to him and see if he will work with me since it would be easier for me.
    Thx

H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by COSGringo View Post
    I definitely don't get the BP meds from the same doc. There aren't many doctors that will prescribe hi dose baclofen for alcholism. I am going to halve my BP meds and keep checking. I may not need it anymore. The drinking might have been making it worse too. I have not seen my regular doc since I've been on bac. I want to have a long clean bill of health before I present it to him and see if he will work with me since it would be easier for me.
    Thx
    Hi

Just glanced through this thread and saw your last post. And alcohol especially a lot of alcohol frequently is well known to elevate BP. I'm not talking about a glass or two of red wine at night, I'm talking about heavy drinkers. High BP, elevated triglycerides and a whole host of other problems are directly attributable to heavy alcohol intake.
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

Quote Originally Posted by H20shed65 View Post
    Hi

Just glanced through this thread and saw your last post. And alcohol especially a lot of alcohol frequently is well known to elevate BP. I'm not talking about a glass or two of red wine at night, I'm talking about heavy drinkers. High BP, elevated triglycerides and a whole host of other problems are directly attributable to heavy alcohol intake.
    Yes, I agree. Fun filled things like pancreatitis, too. That laid me out for a week but at least they had me on a IV of dilaudid.
    Now if I could get over the somnolence from the baclofen I would be ready to take on the world.
    Likes H20shed65 liked this post

SW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to beholdSW19power6 is a splendid one to behold

@Stevo1

I have the same condition, white coat syndrome and my Dr. has known it for years. I take mine at home about three times a week and it usually is within normal limits and sometimes pretty low. In the office it will spike to impressive numbers but he isn't concerned as all my other #'s are fine, meaning colesterol, tryglycerides and blood sugar.

10. Hey, low blood pressure is the pits mine is just 70/30 - which sounds lethal. However as a medical student I have had numerous doctors tell me that "it's 'acceptable' for a young, petite woman to have a low BP" TBH I often feel dizzy and get orthostatic hypotension - I almost faint when standing.
    Although it's not partifuarly dangerous i'd love to treat it without resorting to sodium loading. If anyone has any answers i'd love to hear them.
    And @deadhorse . a normal pulse rate is 60-100 beats per minute. 60 is fine, especially if you are especially fit then you're likely to have a lower resting HR.
    Helpful Roz Rated helpful

Just an update for the members out there that were truly concerned as I was. I haven't posted in quite sometime due to busy schedule and all. I really like our community here and how most everyone tries to help out sharing their experiences and knowledge. I'm happy to say that I finally bit the bullet and got up the nerve to persue I new pcp and I'm soo much happier their. He's one of the rare docs out there that let's you give your own input about what meds work best for you and he like me believes that nobody should be forced to take any med. Me and my new pcp have workd closley and I'm happy to say we've cut out allot of the unnecassarry meds and I am now down to the 3 I would like to be on instead of being forced to take meds and threatend constantly for non compliance. We've determined that the only rime my bp seems to spike is when I'm in the docs office which is for many reasons. One being what's referred to as white coat syndrom and the other being that I take a very low dose of my meds the two days before my visits to help the doctor evaluate and monitor my conditions in the best real world senerio possible. My new pcp has been such a blessing I only wish I would've changed to him sooner....wabbzz

Victoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to all

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but since blood pressure is important for all of us I think it’s ok!
    I have naturally low blood pressure and am ok with it as long as I don’t get symptoms of feeling faint, dizzy etc. My norm is 80/60. In Spain I was treated in hospital as if I was dying, my UK Gp told them to releas me and that I was fine. I was.

Recently I had dizzy episodes whilst driving and I knew it was BP. It had fallen to 74/52 and that was too low for me. I was given a salt IV and allowed out when it raised to 80/58. I’m not on meds but I do watch out for the signs it’s dropping and get assistance when it drops.
    I guess my point here is that I’ve noticed different countries have different approaches to low blood pressure.

13. @Victory104

I am really curious about this idea that assistance is given for low b/p? And the idea that some countires take such a reading seriously blows my mind.

I have always had low blood pressure. I can't stand still on my feet for longer than about 5minutes without getting very nauseous and faint and weak at the knees. I am ok as long as I am sitting or moving. 80/60 is routine for me, Sometimes bp is 70-odd/45, heart rate as low as 45. I don't feel great when it is that low. Sometimes my fingers go dead white/blue and I feel very cold, even in normal room temperature. But I have always been told this b/p is fine. Told, by multiple docs, not to worry about these symptoms?

I am now curious to hear that there is this difference in medical opinion about low blood pressure, and even times when doctors treat it? That is so contrary to my experience. It is all very confusing. Is there a point when it is worth getting low b/p treated? Why do medics in some countries take it so seriously?
    Last edited by MAVpilgrim; 10-29-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: I went on a bit too long...

@MAVpilgrim , yes, there is such a thing as too-low blood pressure, and if you're feeling dizzy or nauseated when standing for too long or other signs of low blood pressure are showing up then you need to visit another doctor, one who will take you seriously. Excessively low blood pressure can be a culprit in a host of bad things including falls, and falls are one of the main reasons why older adults end up in long term care. If your insurance will cover it (a bit IF, alas) ask about a 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor to see what's going on. And again, if your doctor won't take this seriously then find a new doctor, because it IS a big deal.
    Helpful MAVpilgrim Rated helpful

15. Thank you @Ellyn .

Coming back to this thread I see I really went on a bit long in that post I was having a rough day and freaking about a future hospital visit. Ugh!

I will make an effort to mention it to my doc in relation to my meds.
    I am still baffled at the difference in med approaches to this though! Two consultants and 3 G.P's all confirmed that my low blood pressure readings were OK from a 'heart protective' point of view.

I’m with everyone else and suggest finding a different doctor if you can. I’ve always had somewhat low blood pressure but that does seem a little too low. Also check to make sure you’re doing it correctly, like it’s on tight enough and what not.

17. Is my BP too low??
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2