NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2979 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: zyprexa vs. seroquel

1. Default zyprexa vs. seroquel

which medicine is better to treat a bi-polar person who's lost touch w/ reality?

2. Both are anti-psychotics aiming to manage the disease through different mechanisms. It's personal since one's biochemistry may be different then another.

3. I liked zyprexa a lot! But then again I was taking is with Buspar, Levoxyl and Depakote, so maybe I just don't remember.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    There's a patient who tried both drugs and wrote regarding experience on both. Here's the article: Seroquel Versus Zyprexa - a Comparison of Two Antipsychotic Medications - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
    Helpful QVC1212, debbrad Rated helpful

5. Both are anti-psychotics aiming to manage the disease through different mechanisms. It's personal since one's biochemistry may be different then another.

Trabolgan has a spectacular aura aboutTrabolgan has a spectacular aura aboutTrabolgan has a spectacular aura aboutTrabolgan has a spectacular aura aboutTrabolgan has a spectacular aura aboutTrabolgan has a spectacular aura about

I was first strated zyprexa (Olanzepam in the Uk) 5 years ago, even that i started at a low dose to be stepped up I hated it, for some strange reason it made me feel aggressive, angry (not outwardly) but the inside kind of fumming frustration, anti depressants always make me feel like it to for some unknown reason, anyway i refused zyprexa and was put on respiridone, which is much better if it worked, no drowsy heavy trances to get used to unfortunately it did'nt make me any better so i have ended up on seroquel (how delightfull) taking full dosage, coincidently feeling little better, not as harrassed but it makes meu look so drugged up i look like the living dead!!
    PS. i have know been told by the consultant that because i take 800mg per dayof seroquel that i should not be allowed to drive anymore!

miffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond reputemiffytherabbit has a reputation beyond repute

In the U.K Zyprexa (Olanzapine) is the first line treatment for the manic phase of bipolar depression. I can't speak for how it is diagnosed in the US, as of course there are big differences in outlook over prescribing practices between each country. The risk with Olanzapine is that whilst it has a high efficacy rate a bringing people down from manic psychosis, it's used must be monitored, because of course, after the high of a manic episode comes the crash, and Olanzapine has a tendency to keep pulling people down, so the usual depression that follows a high is excascerbated by continuing Olanzapine therapy. My last (ex) partner suffered bi-polar which was cyclical and tended to run a three year cycle where he would experience around a year of relative normality, followed by a slow, but perceptible ascent over a period of about six months, and if not caught would spend six months either in full blown mania, or the crisis resolution team, or the psychiatric hospital trying to bring him down. Following that he would then spend a year suffering very flat affect, tipping into depression (although he never became suicidal). He died last year of a heart attack (at 54), but his last period of mania was badly handled by psychiatrists who left him on huge doses of Olanzapine way too long, whereas before they had put him on Olanzapine for just the critical high period, then switched him to Sodium Valproate. It even crossed my mind that the high doses of Olanzapine had lead to his heart attack, as it known that very high doses taken for a lengthy period cause cardio-vascular disease.

Quetiapine, in the U.K is often (apart it's use for Schizophrenia, which of course also applies to Olanzapine and most of the atypical and typical anti-antipsychotics) has found favour for a much wider range of health problems. Astra-Zeneca, it's manufacturers, have found themselves on the end of a fist-ful of law-suits, perhaps most famously, soldiers in the US who have died from taking Quetiapine for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Astra Zeneca has stood astride the blurry lines of legality regarding the term "off-label" for many of the uses it has promoted this drug for.

Doubtlessly, it is a drug that is effective for the most serious of all mental health problems - Schizophrenia and Psychosis attributed to bipolar disorder. People who have these illnesses, who become really unwell have no other choices available to them, particularly if they wish to reintegrate with their families, friends and their own homes. What disturbs me, and is unique to Seroquel, is that it is an antipsychotic (which are of themselves intensely potent drugs with a myriad of sometimes horrible, sometimes deadly side-effects) that has become an "everyday" drug given off-label for conditions such as insomnia, generalised anxiety, eating disorders and BPD. I am in no way diluting the seriousness of the conditions I mentioned, like generalised anxiety (I have it myself and it's debilitating), but what peope forget is that the conditions above are conditions touted by Astra Zeneca as being suitable for off-label use - simply to increase profit.

I have had to take anti-psychotics before, because of my anxiety disorders, but my worry is that these seriously mind-altering, mind-numbing drugs are being handed out like proverbial candy. One of the main effects of anti-psychotics is they "quieten" and "subdue" and I have a horrible dystopian vision that in ten years time we'll all be quietened and subdued by these drugs, because their remit for use will have widened to such a degree they will be prescribed for everything from neuropathy to headaches, to back-pain.

Anyway, sorry for my little rant.

TTFN

Miffyrabbit ^_^
    Likes Hugo liked this post
    .....The most magical, Saggy old cloth cat in the whole wide world.

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    I ordered zyprexa nearly 2 months ago and still don't have it. But what can you expect for a measly $20 shipping cost? I'm going to try it for sleep. Seroquel is losing it's punch and i have to take something else with it even though i use it only once per week. Do you think 5 mg zyp by itself would work?

9. @miffytherabbit I agree with you, I bet you too are a fan of Aldus Huxley's Brave New World.
    Last edited by shsn; 11-15-2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo
    Helpful Keith K Stone Rated helpful

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@miffytherabbit I think you're right, I remember reading somewhere that zyprexa is a good choice to control a manic episode of bipolar whereas seroquel has a reputation (according to my psychiatrist, who prescribed it for me) for being very effective for bipolar depressive episodes, although both meds should work similarly well as mood stabilizers. Personally, I've come to loathe the term "antipsychotic" and very much prefer "mood stabilizer". I think "antipsychotic", I think "A Beautiful Mind" type of crazy, you know, schizophrenia. It says on my bottle "take one every night for psychosis" and I wish the VA would get rid of that. Of course, I'm not married and no one looks at my med bottles but still, I don't like having that there.

I seriously doubt @wild thing is still around since he had 3 posts back in 2009 and that's it, but I just wanted to point out that the expression "bipolar who has lost touch with reality" is somewhat redundant. To a certain degree, all untreated bipolars have lost touch with reality, although type II (my diagnosis) never reaches full blown mania or psychosis. Even as a type II one might engage in extremely reckless behavior, dangerously pushing the limits riding a motorcycle believing oneself to be invincible, or staying up for a week at a time thinking they're writing a great work of art or great American novel when all it is is scribbled crap (happened to me), or going on ridiculous spending sprees charging thousands of dollars that you'll never be able to pay back right away but for which you think you have a quick solution by applying your over [self] rated business acumen, or showing horrible judgment by dumping money into a ponzi scheme which nets you a grand in less than a week but which causes you to lose all your money won and invested, or taking on 3 jobs thinking you can get by indefinitely on 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. Or wildly crazy substance abuse . . .
    Likes domino liked this post

KgcRed has a spectacular aura aboutKgcRed has a spectacular aura aboutKgcRed has a spectacular aura aboutKgcRed has a spectacular aura aboutKgcRed has a spectacular aura aboutKgcRed has a spectacular aura aboutKgcRed has a spectacular aura about

Just to add to this post,

I've taken Zyprexa (Olanzapine (sp?)) in the past for a misdiagnosis. All I remember is not being able to get out of bed, and when I eventually did, I moved around like a zombie. So I stopped taking it and was switched to Serequel, which I still haven't tried.

Long story short, I've just been diagnosed with "Cyclothymia Disorder" Which is similar to Bipolar disorder. And I'm taking Lithium 600mg to keep my moods stable. It's going not bad actually, the Lithium helps. No more ups or downs.

By "lost touch with reality", I'm guessing you mean someone is manic. Both will work. Zyprexa will cause more weight gain but is very effective. Seroquel is better if the person is at all violent, agitated, or really really energetic. I tend to recommend Seroquel. Depending on how manic the person is, you can start at different doses. But then again, if someone has gotten to the point of losing touch with reality and are floridly manic, hospitalization is probably the best bet (against their will), as often they will be in complete denial that anything is wrong with them.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.