NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1460 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Bipolar Medication General Question

Default Bipolar Medication General Question

My wife is on three different bipolar medications:

Lithium
    Seroquel
    Tegratol

Also she takes a thyroid medicine

Levothyroxine

and birth control.

She is 23 and basically she will have to take these medications the rest of her life.

What I find myself worrying about sometime is what if there is a worldwide shortage of these medications due to war or economic collapse. I mean my wife had severe psychosis and was hospitalized for 6 weeks. She didn't even know who I was. I couldn't bare to see her like that again.

So, anyway, me being a very prepared person looked into getting a 6 month to one year supply of these medications and the doctor looked at me like I was crazy.

In all actuality I would love for her not to have to take anything ever again, but as it now that is what she needs to take to be stable. Do I sound crazy for wanting to be prepared? I guess in the event that something catastrophic does occur her only option would be something herbal like medical marijuana you can grow, but she doesn't like that stuff.

Anyway. Not really sure this is in the right place.

Thanks,
    Samhain

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Quote Originally Posted by samhain View Post

What I find myself worrying about sometime is what if there is a worldwide shortage of these medications due to war or economic collapse.
    I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about, other than your personal economic collapse.
    Likes Chancer liked this post

Chancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond reputeChancer has a reputation beyond repute

@samhain

I don't think you need to worry about a shortage off these medications in a Western society!
    I have never heard off any such shortages (UK) although I doubt the States would be any different!

There are also other similar medications which they can use if these ones stop working, there is little shortage off psychiatric medications as it is one off the biggest growing areas within "big pharma"!

I wish you and your wife all the best as you deal with what will be a very traumatic time for you both but, people have and will continue to deal with the situation that they didn't want or clearly ask for
    Sometimes saying nothing is worth a 1000 words; The Dalai Lama

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Hello @samhain . I just wanted to let you know that I take an anti-psychotic too & I am so pleased with how it is working that I too worry if there should be a shortage what would I ever do without the meds. I know how you & your wife must be feeling. But I doubt with the popularity of these meds. that we will have any kind of shortage.Best of luck to you & your wife as you deal with what must be a very difficult situation.
    Helpful t c, Keith K Stone Rated helpful
    Likes Cash liked this post
    “These wounds, they will not heal” Linkin Park

What I find myself worrying about sometime is what if there is a worldwide shortage of these medications due to war or economic collapse.
    So, anyway, me being a very prepared person looked into getting a 6 month to one year supply of these medications and the doctor looked at me like I was crazy. Do I sound crazy for wanting to be prepared?
    Since you asked, you do appear to be a little over-stimulated about this very unlikely possibility.
    While there's certainly nothing wrong with having concerns about your wife's future mental health, I believe the effects of a worldwide economic collapse or war would far exceed any possible impact on prescription drug availability.
    I'm inclined to agree with the doctor on this one.
    I will say that I've had conversations somewhat similar to this with many people who are currently being treated in "harm reduction" programs with methadone and buprenorphine. Worries about disruptions in supply from race wars, terrorist bomb attacks, virus epidemics, hurricanes, etc. Try as they might, no one I'm aware of has yet been successful at acquiring a year's supply of their drugs.
    Wonder how the kliniks on the east coast are coping recently?
    Helpful t c Rated helpful

I don't have the same confidence in our way of life others here do so I don't think so, you're not crazy. I'd say many here are doing just that, preparing for some eventuality. I'd say you would be crazy not to be prepared if that's what's eating you. I would do the same if it was my wife, why not.

Do I sound crazy for wanting to be prepared?

Thanks,
    Samhain

Lithium
    Seroquel
    Tegratol

Also she takes a thyroid medicine

Levothyroxine

and birth control.

She is 23 and basically she will have to take these medications the rest of her life.

What I find myself worrying about sometime is what if there is a worldwide shortage of these medications due to war or economic collapse. I mean my wife had severe psychosis and was hospitalized for 6 weeks. She didn't even know who I was. I couldn't bare to see her like that again.

So, anyway, me being a very prepared person looked into getting a 6 month to one year supply of these medications and the doctor looked at me like I was crazy.

In all actuality I would love for her not to have to take anything ever again, but as it now that is what she needs to take to be stable. Do I sound crazy for wanting to be prepared? I guess in the event that something catastrophic does occur her only option would be something herbal like medical marijuana you can grow, but she doesn't like that stuff.

Anyway. Not really sure this is in the right place.

Thanks,
    Samhain
    Hello Samhain. May I ask where you live? To alleviate your concerns, you could try contacting the drug manufacturers directly.

I think it's very sweet of you to worry like this.

Kfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the rough

Lithium
    Seroquel
    Tegratol
    Mmmm. Although Tegretol is approved for BPT I rarely hear of people with the condition -myself included- taking it. I hear it can have nasty side effects. But if your wife's doc is giving it to her I hope he or she knows what they're doing.

10. @samhain I doubt you have much to worry about regarding world, economic collapse. While not outside the realm of possibilities, the likelihood in that you would need to be prepared for a situation like this is small enough that you should try to abstain from excessive worrying (I'm not saying this is easy though). Combine this with the fact that it would be difficult to get a stockpile of these drugs, it may be more expensive if you pursue acquisition of them through offshore pharmacies, and that you may waste money due to the drugs expiring. I know you love your wife and do not want her to have to be in any psychotic episodes; I can't imagine the situation you described as I do not have problems with psychosis, just highs and lows and periods in which I feel like I am losing my mind (I am bipolar). This is the closest I can personally relate. If I were in your position, I would try to understand that the unlikelihood of this situation should result in me focusing my attention and worries on more pressing and likely matters. I can really relate the excessive (including non-stop irrational) worrying and it really just makes things worse, at least for me, and I have felt like it eats me alive at times. You owe it to yourself to try to accept this miniscule possiblity and writing it off so you may worry less and divote your attention to yourself and your own mental health, as well as your wife and the relationship you two have. I think doing this is the most beneficial. If you need the drugs, they are less controlled than others and I feel healthcare workers are more apt to understanding the pressing need for your wife to have them. Having a small stockpile might be a good idea if you ever run out and need a couple days worth in a pinch for whatever reason.

While I do not have a background in psychology or medicine and don't specifically know your situation, I just hope this helps, as I know it helps me. I have tried to become more logical and have found that this has helped me and enabled me to be more self-aware of my own situation so that I am able to better help myself and others around me. I do not mean to say that you have no right to worry about this, I am just trying to convey value of analyzing situations so that you may apply logic to live a better life. This value may be minute to you and if that is the case, you can disregard my advice. Either way, I hope this helps and I wish you and your wife the best of luck.

Kfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Hello @samhain . I just wanted to let you know that I take an anti-psychotic too & I am so pleased with how it is working that I too worry if there should be a shortage what would I ever do without the meds. I know how you & your wife must be feeling. But I doubt with the popularity of these meds. that we will have any kind of shortage.Best of luck to you & your wife as you deal with what must be a very difficult situation.
    Assuming you are suffering from bipolar disorder you need not worry about running out. This condition is also treated with non-antipsychotics as well so supplies are numerous.
    Helpful Binky Rated helpful

12. Bipolar Medication General Question