NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 743 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Can someone be given 200mg of Olanzapine?

1. Default Can someone be given 200mg of Olanzapine

A friend says that they have and that sounds a little high. I do know of doses in that range which have been mixed with various other drugs.
    They also stated that they take it once every 3 days. (Although it does have a very adverse affect on them by giving a 'high' like a dream like state) - used for Bi-polar.
    In my experience upper limits of drugs that powerful only ever go to about 30mg in extreme cases. But I'm no expert hence the asking

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    The usual oral dose of olanzapine is 10 mg once daily, with a maximum dose of 20mg/day. Yes, there have been cases where 30mg/day dose has been used, even up to 50mg/day on rare cases. Euphoria can be experience even on regular doses and I can imagine how taking 200mg could be just too much. Besides, those who are taking this much dose are risking themselves to various symptoms from drowsiness to coma.
    Helpful Stevo1 Rated helpful

4. Be careful with this, and don't overdo it. I wouldn't go over 30 mg in a 24 hour period even though you'll read about people going far higher than this. If you are looking for a recreational drug then there are better (safer) alternatives out there. Don't take any chances.
    Helpful Squelix Rated helpful

konik will become famous soon enoughkonik will become famous soon enough

[lang=fr]Je prends du Zyprexa depuis 2002 > 15 mg par jour.

Il y a 6 mois, pour essayer de dormir pendant de nombreuses heures, j'ai du prendre autour de 300 mg...

Résultat : je me suis réveillé le lendemain avec un affreux mal à la tête & avec mon bras gauche paralisé (je me suis endormi profondément dessus pendant 15 heures, la circulation du sang ne s'est pas faite correctement...).

Il m'a fallu presque 2 mois pour que mon bras gauche soit "normal".

Encore aujourd'hui je sens un TRES LEGER bloquage avec certains mouvements.

Faites attention...[/lang]

6. 200mg of Olanzapine?? Is that what they're using in the USA now for executing prisoners?

Seriously man, the most I've ever been prescribed is 10mg per day and that knocked me out and turned me into a vegetable the following day.
    Likes komatose, Kfer liked this post

audacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of lightaudacity is a glorious beacon of light

Antipsychotics have pretty wide therapeutic margin. 200 mg would be completely inappropriate (you never dose atypicals high, if the regular atypical dose is not enough, you add on a typical agent instead), but it could probably be somewhat tolerated with severe side effects. They used to give crazy doses of Haldol back before TD was widely known. They thought the parkinsonism of EPS was a sign the medicine was working. *sigh*
    @H20shed65 : Didn't think about it possibly being a depot formulation. You're probably right. It's probably not a crazy dose after all then.
    Last edited by audacity; 05-10-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    "Tolerance to the anxiolytic effects (of BZD's) probably does not occur"

H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    The poster is likely referring to Olanzapine Pamoate and not Olanzapine. The latter is short acting and maximum daily dosing is 20mg. The former is an extended release usually given IM Q few weeks depending on a number of factors. The ER version could have easily been up to 200mg IM or more. The ER is normally used in hospital, clinic settings.
    Last edited by H20shed65; 05-10-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Helpful Utopiate, komatose, Jhani, Ravenousbird Rated helpful
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

jagar2013 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by tinmuning View Post
    The usual oral dose of olanzapine is 10 mg once daily, with a maximum dose of 20mg/day. Yes, there have been cases where 30mg/day dose has been used, even up to 50mg/day on rare cases.
    Are you sure that in hospital it is possible that they are given up to 50mg/day? I’d like to know if such cases really are.
    Life is short dream.

Kfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the roughKfer is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by jagar2013 View Post
    Are you sure that in hospital it is possible that they are given up to 50mg/day? I’d like to know if such cases really are.
    The main side effect of a high dose of olanzapine is akathisia. The can be very nasty but hospitals are equipped to kill akathisia in seconds via IV Ativan or even IV Seconal in extreme cases, then administer oral procyclidine (Kemadrin) to prevent the condition from returning. That's why they sometimes prescribe large doses of olanzapine then closely monitor the patient. Im a home setting it would unwise to go above 20mg unless you have quick acting and potent benzos such as Restoril on hand.
    Helpful jagar2013, winterheart Rated helpful

Viewing the world from inside a ribcage made of ice
    winterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of lightwinterheart is a glorious beacon of light

I've been on olanzapine 20mg for quite some years now, it being the only anti-psychotic that has worked to any degree to manage my positive symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia. Speaking from experience as I have many, many times requested increase in dosages past 20mg, at least here in the UK, no psychiatrist would prescribe above 20mg unless the patient was unusually large, in which case they are allowed to prescribe up to 30mg, I believe. This is anecdotal, garnered from various stays in psychiatric hospitals under section and talking with other patients about their treatments.

A lot of people find olanzapine very sedating, however I experience no sedation whatsoever. I remember one time my younger brother took one of my 15mg tablets (I take 5mg in the morning and 15mg at night) thinking it was diazepam and fell asleep for nearly 48 hours, the little idiot haha.

I can't imagine any situation where any doctor in their right mind would give a patient 200mg of olanzapine to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kfer View Post
    The main side effect of a high dose of olanzapine is akathisia. The can be very nasty but hospitals are equipped to kill akathisia in seconds via IV Ativan or even IV Seconal in extreme cases, then administer oral procyclidine (Kemadrin) to prevent the condition from returning. That's why they sometimes prescribe large doses of olanzapine then closely monitor the patient. Im a home setting it would unwise to go above 20mg unless you have quick acting and potent benzos such as Restoril on hand.
    Can confirm, I take procyclidine twice a day for this.

Ravenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond repute
    Ravenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond reputeRavenousbird has a reputation beyond repute
    Old post from 2008. I believe @H20shed65 clarified the issue in his post below.

13. Can someone be given 200mg of Olanzapine?