Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How long did your doctor prescribe sleeping tablets?

Dusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by equinox View Post
    I'd be interested to know how long any of you have been prescribed sleeping tablets from your doctor.

I'm currently on a prescription of 2 Zopiclone tablets per week and they give me 12 at a time, meaning every six weeks I need to request more. This has been happening for about a year and half - and then recently they dropped down to 7 tablets per prescription (but still 2 per week). They never said why they decided this, and I didn't want to ask and rock the boat.

Although one doctor did stop the prescription about 5 months ago - but she wasn't my regular doctor. That was a shocker for me. But when I spoke to my appointed doctor, she was understanding and agreed to continue with the Zopiclone for a while longer. My last prescription was delayed for some reason and I'm probably right in thinking that they'll make the decision to stop prescribing altogether quite soon.

I know doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills long term, so I know there's going to be a cut off point. I feel as if I've already been quite fortunate.

I'd be really interested if anyone could share with me how long their prescriptions had - or have - lasted, so I can get a picture of where I fit into a more general picture.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
    My GP prescribed me Zopiclone 7.5mg (12 at a time) I was told to take one each evening but I only used them when I was really struggling to sleep (so roughly I was taking one every 4 or 5 days). They gave me the same prescription 3 times within 6 months then refused to prescribe it to me again and advised me to look into a long-term solution rather than using pills to "mask the problem". I've tried meditation, exercise, herbal teas and everything else you can think of to very minimal effect. I'm currently using 10mg diazepam which I get off someone I know and that works very well and I don't feel the grogginess the next day like I did when taking Zopiclone though I do worry about addiction. A few days ago I heard of something called Kava, there's many types, which most have very good reviews and I've just ordered a batch of a variety called Loa Waka Fiji Kava (which is apparently the most potent and has 5 star reviews). The other benefit to this, after much research, is that it has no documented proof of addiction or withdrawal. I'll let you know how I get on once I've tried it (apparently it takes a few days to get into your system).
    Helpful dinger Rated helpful
    Likes equinox liked this post

My pcp’s been scripting me 90 ambien with a refill ever since the med came out. I do not sleep without it. My mother said I didn’t sleep as a baby, that I’d stand in my crib and shake it all night long from the time I was able to stand up. Even with ambien I get maybe 4 hours of sleep, 6 hours is like a dream come true.
    Likes NewarkCap, Dusk1983 liked this post

My doc said hed never, ever take me off something that was helping me so much, from sleep to migraines. He said that after I mentioned relatives were dumbfounded that id been taking it for 10+ years.

My doctor prescribed me 7 of them at once since I have never had a history of insomnia and it seemed to be situational for me. He prescribed ambien (generic, of course). And I don't think it worked... I remember staying up all night having really weird thoughts because Ambien does that to you... never again. For me, if I'm having trouble sleeping, 1mg of xanax does the trick.

Dusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the roughDusk1983 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by tedh View Post
    My pcp’s been scripting me 90 ambien with a refill ever since the med came out. I do not sleep without it. My mother said I didn’t sleep as a baby, that I’d stand in my crib and shake it all night long from the time I was able to stand up. Even with ambien I get maybe 4 hours of sleep, 6 hours is like a dream come true.
    @tedh,

I was the same as a kid too, my mother thought I was nocturnal! And it’s only got worse as I’ve got older, ye, I hear you, 6 hours sleep a night would be a miracle for me. Diazepam is definitely knocking me out, more of a gentle lulling compared to the complete wipeout of zopiclone but it’s not ideal, cos I’m unsure of long-term, potentially habit-forming substances though I try to use sparingly. I’d only pop the zops again if I go back to that zombie state, where I’m left hanging for days between sleep and being awake but never achieving either! Really frustrating sometimes, especially in summer when it’s light nights and the birds start singing at 3am and you know you have to be up for work in 3 or 4 hours! That’s when the stronger meds are needed! Hope, like me, you start getting a good nights kip!

The Kava was a fail for me, it’s relaxing (even though it tastes like compost), and did help me off to sleep, but it made me feel hungover the next day. I’d rather the dazed, next-day effect of the zops, at least didn’t feel shit. I guess it’s back to the benzos (every other evening). There’s loads of meds/ remedies to try yet, sure I’ll find something, but have to slow down the spending on all of these different products. Spent way too much this last month!

I'd be interested to know how long any of you have been prescribed sleeping tablets from your doctor.

I'm currently on a prescription of 2 Zopiclone tablets per week and they give me 12 at a time, meaning every six weeks I need to request more. This has been happening for about a year and half - and then recently they dropped down to 7 tablets per prescription (but still 2 per week). They never said why they decided this, and I didn't want to ask and rock the boat.

Although one doctor did stop the prescription about 5 months ago - but she wasn't my regular doctor. That was a shocker for me. But when I spoke to my appointed doctor, she was understanding and agreed to continue with the Zopiclone for a while longer. My last prescription was delayed for some reason and I'm probably right in thinking that they'll make the decision to stop prescribing altogether quite soon.

I know doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills long term, so I know there's going to be a cut off point. I feel as if I've already been quite fortunate.

I'd be really interested if anyone could share with me how long their prescriptions had - or have - lasted, so I can get a picture of where I fit into a more general picture.

I was going through a bad episode/stress related to work and was not sleeping for a couple of days and went to my primary care doc... she gave me like 7 ambien and asked to follow up within a week. I did not like Ambien and prefer benzos to fall asleep so I didn't fall asleep. I'm pretty sure I could've gotten on a once a day script with refills...docs aren't too stingy with them like they are with benzos lol
    Likes Stevo1, equinox liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by millyeleven11 View Post
    I was going through a bad episode/stress related to work and was not sleeping for a couple of days and went to my primary care doc... she gave me like 7 ambien and asked to follow up within a week. I did not like Ambien and prefer benzos to fall asleep so I didn't fall asleep. I'm pretty sure I could've gotten on a once a day script with refills...docs aren't too stingy with them like they are with benzos lol
    That is interesting. I have an emergency stash of benzos in case I get extreme insomnia but I have a very low tolerance and always feel horrible the next day. So if available I will take ambien. Ambien works great for me and I feel like I could wake in the middle of the night and still function in case of an emergency. With a benzo I am completely wiped out..
    Likes millyeleven11, Marcie liked this post

9. Default Question

I have tried that mediication and didn't receive much relief as to being able to sleep.

Benzos have been wonderful for me. I had a doctor that prescribed 2 mgs a day for over 5 years, but he retired.

DH went to my psyche appointment and got 10 tabets for emergency.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ethom View Post
    My doc prescribes me 30 10mg ambien about 2-3 times a year via email (I just send a note letting him know that I will be traveling - absolutely no issues). Also prescribes 60 1 mg klonopin once per year.

Seems to be working as I can break both in half to get effective dosage.

I am prescribed Zoloft but not sure if it does anything at all. I still have anxiety and even the klonopin doesn't help a ton. Trams work best but those are not prescribed.

How do you like the klonopin. I got a script 1 a day for 30 days with one refill
    Likes CrayonBox, equinox liked this post

CrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to allCrayonBox is a name known to all

I was prescribed trazadone for my sleep issues on a monthly basis for at least six months. That was only because I told the doc I didn’t like them and wasn’t using them so to drop them off. I’m sure if I hadn’t said that he’d probably would’ve still kept prescribing them to me. I still have sleep problems to this day and should look into an appt soon to get that taken care off. It’s long over due.
    Helpful Gullible Rated helpful
    Likes bluu liked this post

My doc’s been scripting me Zolpidem (Ambien) since the late 90’s. I’ve had the same doc since 95, he says he’s retiring next year so I’m going to be looking for a new doc. I’m sure that will be fun....

My doc has still got me on 2 zopiclones per week. This has been for 4 years I think.

I was meant to have a review nearly a year ago, but it never happened. If I need more I've got a small stash of some extra but they're now over the expiry date by months. Although I think they're still effective, sometimes it seems a bit hit and miss.

I've read that the expiry dates don't necessarily mean the tablets lose their potency. I remember reading something about that on the forum, so I might try to read up on it again.

I try to to keep this in perspective, but I've had bad sleep now for years and tried all sorts of calming methods - counting back from 10,000 has proved to be one of the most successful so far. But it really wears down the spirit to know that every night you're going to wake up time and time again, a lot of the times in a real panic with a racing mind. Although that happens less and less these days.

TurboV8 will become famous soon enoughTurboV8 will become famous soon enoughTurboV8 will become famous soon enough

I've been taking Trazadone for about 8 years. I normally can't sleep without out it and if I do, I usually wake a few hours after falling asleep and can't fall back asleep. If I take too much, it'll leave drowsy all of the next day. Before the Traz, I was taking every OTC sleep aid all at once hoping to sleep.

14. I see what you're saying but am sick of using the xanax I need for anxiety to sleep. Some days I can manage with no xanax at all, other's I need a few to be in work. But I always have to take 1 to 1.5 mgs to sleep, so wish I could get a good sleeping pill and keep the xanax for anxiety

So lately I have been emailing my Drs office every month for my zolpidem refill, usually before it is due so I don’t have a delay getting it sent to the pharmacy. It has been annoying because normally he puts refills on the script, I don’t know why that changed. I usually run short super fast and just wait for the pickup date. My script was ready 10 days early. The pharmacy is always a stickler about waiting until the exact day. I just got notice that it was ready this morning, but thought I would have to wait about 10 more days, a lot of you know the drill. I called the pharmacy and they said it is ready for pickup today... I almost fell out of my chair. I was sure it was a mistake, but my husband went to pick it up and they gave it to him without paying the $3 that we normally pay! I am in shock! I wonder if it is because it was a new script and number. I am glad it was ready, but for as long as I have been taking it, I was never able
    to get it early. I am confused and concerned. Is the Dr getting ready to cut me off?? How/why did this happen??

Quote Originally Posted by DW4210 View Post
    I am confused and concerned. Is the Dr getting ready to cut me off?? How/why did this happen??
    @DW4210 I hope it was something and nothing for you, rather than the dreaded cut off.

I had a review this week and luckily the doc is happy to keep me on Zopiclone. I get about 10 each month, which I'm happy about.

I was under the impression that all controlled substances in the US have no refills - does anyone know if this is true or not?

18. I’ve been on ambien for almost 10 years. Chronic imsnomnia and anxiety sufferer. I’m afraid to change doctors because of all the angst I go through to get a 30 day supply.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234