NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2119 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does propranolol eventually make you "emotionless"

1. I took propranolol many times to fight stage fright (with great success) and I do not think it changed me in any way or even rendered me depressive.

Just to add to GreenThumbs post: Beta blockers do only block beta adrenergic receptors. In a fear provoking situation adrenaline will still be secreted but cannot act because of the blockage. Hence the body shows no reaction to the fear stimuli and the person will feel more (not fully like with Xanax) at ease.
    Cortisol secretion however is not affected by beta blockers - at least not directly (there are some interactions between cortisol and BBlockers as cortisol has a permissive effect on catecholamine vascular responsiveness). So I do not think that the slowing down comes from a "cortisol suppression".

I found that it had the opposite effect on me. It made my mood improve and made me more upbeat. I am, by default, a more withdrawn and taciturn individual when unmedicated. I would imagine it differs from person to person and is possibly dose-dependent.
    With a pocket full of aspirin, I gather up my every day--SFA/Beacon in the Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by akl63 View Post
    I guess its more like apathy, what I'm hearing as emotionless. It can be tough to even realize, that you just don't really care anymore. Remeron did this to me, I wasn't even depressed much. Not a lot upset me, but I didn't enjoy much either, or look forward to anything. Never taken betab's before, but it sounds like the same feeling.
    This is exactly how I feel with propranolol. I feel as if I have nothing to look forward to and nothing excites me. I'm just now realizing that this it what it's from. I'm going to try to switch medications at my next doctor visit.

Cristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the rough

No, I take it for headaches and have the extended release. My BP & heart rate is the same. I feel much better on it.

My theory as to WHY some people may get moody on it because beta blockers effects your adrenaline. Adrenaline = excitement/thrill. Like going down a roller coaster your adrenaline is pumping with fear and excitement, if you cannot achieve that level of emotions anymore with everyday life it might stray you into a depressive state. imo.

@motherfooker keep us updated. I've stopped and started it a few times now and I feel like it prevents my headaches really well for the first few months and then after that doesn't seem to work as well.

Cristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the roughCristiano is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    @motherfooker keep us updated. I've stopped and started it a few times now and I feel like it prevents my headaches really well for the first few months and then after that doesn't seem to work as well.
    What do mean it doesn't work that well after? Its not like a med where you build tolerance to it and your dosage keeps going up to get the same effects.

I've had a similar experience, It started wearing off. My Doc said its because I wasn't properly dosed enough.

For you, in the beginning it prob provided some mild to moderate relief so you thought you were over with. Its a common mistake, most people are just relieved that something began working for them, so they taught they were cured. Only to find out later, not to the extent they thought they were.

Oh just to let you know, as you take some meds more, the more use to you will become of them. stick with it.

Man only take beta blockers if you need to it made me have no feelings and it barely did anything for my blood pressure I think there are better options out there

dingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud ofdingleberry has much to be proud of

That is why they take Seroquel, I believe thats the most common one, known as jail house heroin because of its downer properties. For allot of people in prison it is a luxury to be emotionless and in a zombie like state, so I know for some people dealing with stressful issues this effect can actually be desired and the drug is widely used in prison for this reason. I have never tried it myself. Closest thing I ever got to an antidepressant is tramadol, and yes i definitely notice how it plays on my mood uniquely different from other opiates. Actually makes me very happy and chatty sometimes and I have just taken some this morning in fact mixed with my hydro dose. Maybe its just me but they go well together and seem to synergize well together. Sorry I am going off topic now my bad.

Seroquel is a powerfull sleeping med I remember I took 50mg and I couldn't for the life of me keep my etes open I had to sleep but I thought it was for bi-polar or anti phycotic and off label sleep med

lol ok, I gained some weight and felt some depressed moods, NOT full blown depression. But enough for me to see what other options are. I def would trade this for the wild-werd-nightmarish back to back dreams that I would wake up with in the beginning.

AND I was sooo close to having my 6 pak

11. How long is 'long-term'? One year? Five years?

12. I take the 60mg Propanolol ER Extended release for my slightly elevated BP and to help prevent Migrains.
    I've never had any unusual side effects but I believe the extended release version prevents most of that from happening.
    As far as zapping emotion and preventing stage fright, a higher dose is usually taken for those kinds of applications.
    Helpful Carter Rated helpful

Sassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond repute
    Sassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond repute
    I took it for migraines and it made me foggy and didn't work. Right now, I am on Corgard for the same reason (and to help a bit with GAD), and I wonder how much it helps. Bu I can tell you the other beta-blockers did nada for me (except tired) and my cousin had the exact same impression.
    Helpful Carter Rated helpful

Honestly I think the BS of life makes you numb and emotionless... its not the drugs.. its life its self.

My Dr. looked at the list of anti-depressants I was on, and was a little reluctant to prescribe a Beta Blocker because he said they can cause depression. But he ended up putting me on Bystolic anyway. I have had no side affects that I am aware of. Plus the beta blocker lessens my anxiety. No more heart rates of 100 bpm. Resting heart rate is 60 now.
    Last edited by Blackmore; 02-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.

lucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond repute
    lucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond reputelucyinthesky has a reputation beyond repute
    Yes they do @Chapina69, I've been on those for years. I take them for my heart. I get fast rapid heart rates. That's why I was put on them.

Just as a comment. If you have low blood pressure taking Propranolol can tank you quickly without warning. I tried it years ago when I saw a new Neurologist for my essential tremor (cause determined to be finally cervical canal stenosis surgically corrected but damage to cord compression non-reversible) and passed out in a flash at work walking down a hallway as it slowed my heart rate to almost zilch.

If you have consistent low BP please make sure the Dr knows especially a new Dr as many meds can conflict with BP levels.
    I Love People - Harry's Quote. RIP 12/20/2015

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12