NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 281 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was just presrcribed propranolol.

I live in magic solitude of cloudy looking mountains
    parogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud ofparogers has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by pia View Post
    It worked for me and was prescribed for fear of speaking in front of crowds. I was able
    to make presentations in front of the class.
    Worked well for me also for a job interview. Might have been a little bit placebo effect too, but I took 40mg and was calm and composed as I could have been.
    I can resist everything except temptation ~ O. Wilde

smo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nice

I am on a beta blocker for BP and heart palpitations. I've been taking it daily for years. I think it probably does help with anxiety - if I forget a dose, the first thing I notice is that I feel "nervous" and shaky which is alleviated almost immediately by taking the med. If I'm not able to take it for some reason, I get extremely uncomfortable... I know the beta blockers act to slow down the heart and make the contraction stronger and more efficient. It seems weird to use this kind of med for every day anxiety although I can kind of see using it for occasional performance anxiety. If you use it daily though, you will definitely have physical symptoms when you stop.
    Not all those who wander are lost. -JRR Tolkien

LeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant future

I used to take it for the lithium shakes. Worked like magic for tremors that come with taking lithium. I no longer take lithium so I don't need the beta blocker for that. But I can see how it would world well for relief in a temporary very stressful situation
    That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger

Sassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond repute
    Sassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond repute
    My son and I are on different ones for GAD. It stops that heart racing feeling when I feel a deadline or son has a tough test.

valhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to all

My mom was recently diagnosed with essential tremors kind of as a they don't know what else to call it. I've read beta-blockers are good for this. Sometimes they come on and she literally can't walk until it's passed. Normally it's just her arms or hands but once in a while her legs. She is on a lot of heart and bp meds because of her massive heart attack and not sure if they would interact with them. Does anyone else have ET? This is new for us and I'm not 100% sure I even agree with the diagnosis but wondered if anyone else was in the same boat. Thanks

dtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by valhead View Post
    My mom was recently diagnosed with essential tremors kind of as a they don't know what else to call it. I've read beta-blockers are good for this. Sometimes they come on and she literally can't walk until it's passed. Normally it's just her arms or hands but once in a while her legs. She is on a lot of heart and bp meds because of her massive heart attack and not sure if they would interact with them. Does anyone else have ET? This is new for us and I'm not 100% sure I even agree with the diagnosis but wondered if anyone else was in the same boat. Thanks
    My mother had essential tremors that worsened throughout her life. When I was a child they were a nuisance for her, but in her later years they became bad enough that she had difficulty holding food on a fork or spoon. At one point her neurologist explored the possibility of using deep brain stimulation to control her tremors. I don't remember all the medications she was on, but two that I do remember are primidone and gabapentin. She also took BP meds (not for the tremors).

You may or may not be aware the ET runs in families. Children of ET patients have a 50% chance of inheriting the condition. I have it, though I'm in my 50's and mine's still quite mild and doesn't require treatment (yet). You might want to take a look here for some basic information about ET: http://brainfoundation.org.au/disord...sential-tremor
    Helpful valhead Rated helpful
    Likes Farquhar001 liked this post

valhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to allvalhead is a name known to all

Thank you @dtek !!! I have no idea it ran in families. I still wonder if it's actually from her neck. She has severe spinal stenosis that was delayed in a diagnosis so it already damaged the nerves in her neck. She got the surgery to repair it and stabilize her neck about 12 years ago. Like many pain patients she was put off, she's also a nurse and Drs always think they are drug seeking. When she finally got her MRI the doc called asked what kind of pain meds she wanted and had to go to neuro the next day. So it's bad. She's 62 now, had her heart attack last year and for the past 6 months or so has had tons of pain in her right shoulder with the tremors. That's the only reason I think it may be something else. He started her on Xanax twice a day. So we think he thinks she's a nervous old lady. He didn't even check her reflexes on the first exam. Now after a new MRI he started her on gabapentin and we're waiting to see if it works. Thank you so much the link I'll do some studying.
    Likes dtek liked this post

dtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant futuredtek has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by valhead View Post
    Thank you @dtek !!! I have no idea it ran in families. I still wonder if it's actually from her neck. She has severe spinal stenosis that was delayed in a diagnosis so it already damaged the nerves in her neck. She got the surgery to repair it and stabilize her neck about 12 years ago. Like many pain patients she was put off, she's also a nurse and Drs always think they are drug seeking. When she finally got her MRI the doc called asked what kind of pain meds she wanted and had to go to neuro the next day. So it's bad. She's 62 now, had her heart attack last year and for the past 6 months or so has had tons of pain in her right shoulder with the tremors. That's the only reason I think it may be something else. He started her on Xanax twice a day. So we think he thinks she's a nervous old lady. He didn't even check her reflexes on the first exam. Now after a new MRI he started her on gabapentin and we're waiting to see if it works. Thank you so much the link I'll do some studying.
    If I were you (and if finances allow...thank you US medical system) I'd get her in to see a neurologist. Primary care physicians, even the best ones, are ill equipped to deal with something like essential tremors. I'd also look for signs that her condition is or is not essential tremors. The biggest tell is that the hand and arm shaking get worse the more you concentrate on keeping them still. In my mother's case, for the last few years of her life, her hand would shake rapidly back and forth as much as six inches as she tried to hold it still to feed herself. Mom wore two pounds of wrist weights on her dominant arm at meal time to slow the shaking down.
    Helpful valhead Rated helpful

Thank you again @dtek hers seem to have no rhyme or reason. I read tips on managing and it doesn't seem to make a difference like the heavier cups and silverware, managing stress which is why maybe he said to take her Xanax routinely instead of prn. She did go to a neuro but her PCP started working for rural health and always refers within the rural health system. Not saying they aren't good DR's but she has normal insurance not Medicaid so I'm going to look on her provider list and find a better one.
    Likes dtek liked this post

D0chunt will become famous soon enoughD0chunt will become famous soon enoughD0chunt will become famous soon enough

Found them useful for shaky hands (tremors) brought on by SA but did nothing for the actual SA.

11. Quote Originally Posted by D0chunt View Post
    Found them useful for shaky hands (tremors) brought on by SA but did nothing for the actual SA.
    yeah I am on 40MG twice a day for migraines. they work wonders for migraines but don't really do much for me for anxiety - all they do is stop the "heart beating in your chest" sensation
    Likes dbt123 liked this post

dbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of lightdbt123 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by smeg View Post
    yeah I am on 40MG twice a day for migraines. they work wonders for migraines but don't really do much for me for anxiety - all they do is stop the "heart beating in your chest" sensation
    Really? I've never had great luck with beta blockers for my migraines... but I'm a weirdo, evidently. I did find they could be kind of calming in a weird way though... but I don't think I'd go so far as to say anti-anxiety.

I forget what dose(s) I was on though.

I have had ET since my teens. Severe in head, now progressed to severe in hands. I tried propranolol for many years, didn't find much difference in the tremors. I have tried all the know tremor meds and even had a round of botox injections into my neck, but that didn't work for me as my tremors were too severed. ET is a very poorly managed and researched compared to parkinsons. It can be debilitating if it progresses but for a lot, ET often never goes beyond mild tremors which are more easily managed at that stage. ET is often blamed on nerves/anxiety/stress and therefore can be misdiagnosed. The UK seem far behind the USA in terms of how this condition is treated and managed. Surgical treatment is not a commonly offered in The UK. I was told that DBS would be no good for my head tremor but might help with hand.

Okay maybe I'm confused. Isn't propranolol the drug that Michael Jackson died from? Thought that was a hard core drug - never realized it could work for anxiety.

I speak in front of crowds for a living and STILL suffer from anxiety when I do. I actually think I just suffer from GAD (general anxiety disorder) as I can go back to the age of 5 and remember being anxious and worried. The crappy part is that my daughter seems to suffer as well.

Propanolol is a beta blocker not a hard core drug. Michael Jackson took Popafol which is very strong and has an anaesthetising effect He was also found to have other strong sedatives in his system.

Land of The Free, Home of The Brave (USA)
    Violets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really nice

These pills work for me, and I, like you, am prescribed them for use "as needed". I'm 5'8" and about 150, and take 1 x 20mg pill before a "anxiety provoking event", as my doctor had it written on the pill jar label, haha. Most of the time it is for social events and such, but doctors appointments and especially DENTIST appointments send my BP skyrocketing. I have "white coat syndrome", as they say. Before dentist appointments, I have taken 2 x 20 mgs, and it does the trick just fine, if not sedates me a little so I don't freak out at the sound of the drill.

I'm glad to hear this is working for you! If 20mg ever seems like too little, it does not hurt to go up to 2 pills of 20mg. This is just my experience, of course, I would check with your prescribing doctor first to make sure this is something that would be fitting for you in particular.

17. I absolutely love PR. I'm an RN, and never knew propranolol was used for migraines or anxiety issues. I've never given it as a pen medication or seen it on a MAR as such. I've learned so much around here just reading people's experiences, and all about medications.
    I hope it makes me a better advocate for people, especially when it comes to pain issues. Also, I'll speak up to physicians when in a position to do so.
    Now, I'm back to researching the use of beta blockers for anxiety and migraines.

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely love PR. I'm an RN, and never knew propranolol was used for migraines or anxiety issues. I've never given it as a pen medication or seen it on a MAR as such. I've learned so much around here just reading people's experiences, and all about medications.
    I hope it makes me a better advocate for people, especially when it comes to pain issues. Also, I'll speak up to physicians when in a position to do so.
    Now, I'm back to researching the use of beta blockers for anxiety and migraines.

18. I've been prescribed Propranolol for many many years. It was prescribed to me primarily for hypertension but because I also suffer from chronic migraines it was the perfect drug. It works great for me. headaches are reduced. I take the 60mg time release version so I always assumed that I would not also get any of the anti-anxiety benefits that people get from the non time-release version.
    Last week I missed a dose (10 hours late) and I did sort of notice feeling somewhat anxious but an hour after taking my dose I felt calmer.
    Does anyone think I could get anti-anxiety effect from the long acting version of Propranolol ?

19. It could be that I am so sensitive to medications but I was prescribed propranolol more than 5 years ago for migraine prevention. I was on a very low dose, 10 mg 2x a day. It seemed to help me at first, too. I felt that, given a family history of high blood pressure and heart failure, I was being proactive, so even a low dose couldn't hurt. I have learned the hard way to be an advocate for myself and my family.

When my insurance changed and GP changed, she decided my migraine attacks were exacerbated by the 2x day dose so she changed to 20 mg at bedtime. The first night I took the 20 mg I woke up talking to the tea kettle in the kitchen. The next time I woke up I had a lap of steaming hot Early Grey all over the bedsheets.

I switched to a neurologist who halved my dose, working to titrate me down, explained the typical dose for migrainuers is 60 mg/day. I've never had a blood pressure issue, unless of course I'm having a migraine attack. After moving 550 miles and about 3000 ft lower in elevation in the last several months, started having so many tremendous problems worse than the tea kettle incident that I thought I was going to be bedridden. Memory loss, dizziness, vertigo, weakness throughout my whole body. My neurologist (who I still drive back to see b/c of insurance) determined the change in altitude and the propalanol dose at night was dropping my blood pressure so low it was becoming a dangerous health risk. I stopped taking it immediately and the other problems stopped.

All that to say, please be mindful of any new medication, prescription or otherwise and the physician prescribing it. I had an allergic reaction that closed my throat last month, and had added Zantac to my medications for its antihistamine qualities, but stopped because it was causing migraine attacks.
    Kip, I reckon you know a lot about...cyberspace?-Uncle Rico

20. i get night time anxiety sometimes its horrendous and have been prescribed these

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast