NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1276 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: History of Propranolol

1. Default History of Propranolol

[ref: wikipedia]

Scottish scientist James W. Black successfully developed propranolol in the 1960s. In 1988, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine for this discovery.

Newer, more selective beta-blockers (such as nebivolol, carvedilol, or metoprolol) are now used in the treatment of hypertension.

Propranolol is often used by musicians and other performers to prevent stage fright. It has been taken by surgeons to reduce their own innate hand tremors during surgery.

Evidence from June 2008 suggests that propranolol can be used to treat severe infantile hemangiomas (IHs). This treatment shows promise as being superior to corticosteroids when treating IHs, but there are no controlled trials to date that prove this.

Propranolol was investigated for possible effects on resting energy expenditure and muscle catabolism in patients with severe burns. In children with burns, treatment with propranolol during hospitalization attenuated hypermetabolism and reversed muscle wasting.

Are you asking a question, or what is the point of this post exactly? Propanolol is an older drug, but a safe drug. It is quite useful in many things and generally well tolerated.

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but thought I would mention that it is also very frequently used to treat migraines and usually one of the first drugs tried to treat new migraine patients.

I have been on it a few times. It has few side effects, though one of them can be weight gain and decreased blood pressure. I had to get off of it because my blood pressure was too low at my therapeutic dose.
    With a pocket full of aspirin, I gather up my every day--SFA/Beacon in the Darkness

Propranolol is indeed an interesting drug, very useful. Have used it myself in the past for stage fright when giving presentations. Is best to try it out ahead of time to see how you are going to react, check B/P, etc., everybody is a little different. Can completely block the "fight or flight" syndrome that causes the problem, just don't want to overmedicate and become hypotensive, as with @lunarmadness with migraine treatment. Was lurching around and came across this and wanted to throw in my 2 cents--it still works!

5. I use Propranolol for public speaking anxiety... used to get the shakes and stutters etc and look visibly nervous when presenting at work or anything similar... If it take 40mgs about an hour before i have to present, it does what it's meant to... completely blocks the adrenaline or whatever it was that was causing me to show those physical signs. Easy to get and cheap too. Haven't noticed any side effects although only use it as needed.

6. I love some propranolol for anxiety in situations when I need to be mentally sharp. It's also wonderful for steadying your hands at the shooting range. A 20 mg dose can really tighten up your groupings!

Django is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really niceDjango is just really nice

Is it used for things like social anxiety? It sounds like something that would be extremely helpful for keeping yo' kool.
    Bent, twisted and somewhat chewy.

I am glad to see that I am not the only person prescribed inderal/propranolol for "anticipatory" anxiety. I take 80 mg every day before I go to work. Excellent results for day one.

COSGringo is offline Banned Reason: Reluctantly had to kick off COSGringo because he became consistently belligerent
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    I know this an an old thread I am rehashing.

I am interested in it for a long day of group speaking I have to do.

I will be do presentation for groups over 8 hours probably a few days.

I have a batch of the 40mg tabs. Would I need to take more than one to get me through these? I am fairly confident on my subject matter but now and then for no good reason I get nervous.

I tanked at a large forum of sales people when it came for me to speak. I have no idea why but I got nervous and jittery. Lame.

fatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant futurefatalframe has a brilliant future

@COSGringo: While 40mg would be nowhere near to kill you I would still give it a test run at home before going for a 40mg dose right off the bat. Propanolol has strong vasodilatative properties (it widens blood vessels) resulting in lower blood pressure. Last time I took 30mg when I had a pretty bad panic attack I felt like I was about to faint for the next 4 hours (my blood pressure was at 110/65 as well). I'm sure you don't want that when holding your presentations .

Propanolol is being metabolized fairly "fast" compared to next-gen beta blockers so you would have to take another dose around 5-6 hours later to maintain the effect (but as I said above give it a try first to see if you actually need 40mg. I would always recommend a lower dose when in doubt. Low blood pressure can be pretty unpleasant as well)
    Last edited by fatalframe; 11-24-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typos
    Helpful COSGringo Rated helpful

COSGringo is offline Banned Reason: Reluctantly had to kick off COSGringo because he became consistently belligerent
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by fatalframe View Post
    While 40mg would be nowhere near to kill you I would still give it a test run at home before going for a 40mg dose right off the bat. Propanolol has strong vasodilatative properties (it widens blood vessels) resulting in lower blood pressure. Last time I took 30mg when I had a pretty bad panic attack I felt like I was about to faint for the next 4 hours (my blood pressure was at 110/65 as well). I'm sure you don't want that when holding your presentations .

Propanolol is being metabolized fairly "fast" compared to next-gen beta blockers so you would have to take another dose around 5-6 hours later to maintain the effect (but as I said above give it a try first to see if you actually need 40mg. I would recommend a lower dose when in doubt. Low blood pressure can be pretty unpleasant as well)
    Thanks, I guess I could also back down on my lisinopril med which I take for HBP. Guess I better do some test runs. Good advice. Thx

grammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to beholdgrammy is a splendid one to behold

Propranolol has also been used off label for aggression.Slows heart rate down and inadvertently calms person down somewhat. I have seen it work in conjunction with anger management. As said in prior posts, definitely for stage fright. I knew a MD who could not perform surgery without taking inderal before. I work in the health care profession and am so impressed by the level of knowledge on this board/forum.Everyone have a good day!
    Likes COSGringo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by funtown View Post
    I love some propranolol for anxiety in situations when I need to be mentally sharp. It's also wonderful for steadying your hands at the shooting range. A 20 mg dose can really tighten up your groupings!
    Yep it really helps with accuracy.. Golfers , dart players and snooker players (professionals ) have been in trouble for using them for that reason

Used by surgeons to steady hands. Interesting. I am prescribed it but rarely take it. I do notice the physical side of anxiety (racing heart, shaky hands, shaky voice) completely disappears... Except for the times I was withdrawing from alcohol... Then I needed benzos. A beta-blocker would not suffice.

Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
    Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
    It's also used as a migraine prevention med. I took it under the brand name Inderal years ago. Didn't prevent my migraines so I stopped using.
    September 9, 2015

16. I've used 40 mg for stage fright also. Works quite well at knocking out most physical symptoms...still get some "nervous sweating" though. Doesn't do much for the mental aspect though, other than it may cause you to become a little more calm once you notice that you don't appear outwardly nervous.

CountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of lightCountryKing is a glorious beacon of light

I have been prescribed it in the past but found it did not help my anxiety, as has been previously mentioned it does not calm you down mentally.

Lumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting that it is used for migraines. This thread started a while ago!

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.