Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: what are you reading

1. Quote Originally Posted by trish5959 View Post
    It's been years since I read that but so worth a mention. One I also need to reread is 'Just Send Me Word' by Orlando Figes. It's about a couple who managed to exchange letters while he was in the Gulag.
    I read that kind of stuff mostly for history facts, wishing those things never happen again yet I see some people and terrible "ideas" around :/

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Dusk1983 has a spectacular aura aboutDusk1983 has a spectacular aura aboutDusk1983 has a spectacular aura aboutDusk1983 has a spectacular aura aboutDusk1983 has a spectacular aura aboutDusk1983 has a spectacular aura about

I too am an avid reader, at the moment I’m reading On The Road: the original scroll. I first read this when I was in my early twenties and yearned for the vast American landscape of the forties and all that bopping and zeal for life and living it up. 15-ish years, a wife and two kids on, I’m enjoying re-reading it but to live that life and adventure doesn’t appeal so strongly now as it did then but I am enjoying the story and how it captures that free-spirit and also the whole beat generations attitude to living life to the full and, interestingly, though there is use of out-dated terms for different races/ cultures, they whole-heartedly embraced these so-called counter-cultures during a time when I imagine the more conventional middle-American was not so embracing of these alternative cultures and civil rights for all. Kerouac’s descriptive writing is beautiful and the honesty in his escapades/ observations also capture my imagination, I picture the scenes and feel his love of the road, Denver, San Fran and Ozone Park and the highs and lows of his travels and encounters. It’s hard to imagine the kind of escapades he describes going on during such conservative times. One of my favourite reads, along with reads authored by Oscar Wilde, Morrissey (bio), Dostoyevsky and sure, a bit of Dan Brown and Agatha Christie to balance it out lol I’m also a sucker for a good thriller/ detective story. There are so many, depending on my mood.
    Likes trish5959 liked this post

DulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    DulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    Judgement Day by Chuck Paluhniuk. Wild premonition of where this country might be headed. Good, especially if you like his stuff. He is a bit zany though.
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I used to be an avid reader - always had a book on the go - but due to circumstances over the last few years my reading habits have changed quite dramatically. These days I tend to go with fact rather than fiction although a good thriller is always an excellent way to take my mind off others things. I also now like small books. Skip the pages of describing the landscape, the emotions, etc.
    My two recommendations at the moment are "A Woman in Berlin" written by anonymous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Woman_in_Berlin
    And Helen Garner, an Australian author who writes wonderfully spare, honest, straight to the heart stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DulyNoted View Post
    Judgement Day by Chuck Paluhniuk. Wild premonition of where this country might be headed. Good, especially if you like his stuff. He is a bit zany though.
    I think my days of Chuck et al are over. It's the same way I feel about my house. Make it simple, if you don't use it get rid of it.
    Never the less, will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk1983 View Post
    I too am an avid reader, at the moment I’m reading On The Road: the original scroll. I first read this when I was in my early twenties and yearned for the vast American landscape of the forties and all that bopping and zeal for life and living it up. 15-ish years, a wife and two kids on, I’m enjoying re-reading it but to live that life and adventure doesn’t appeal so strongly now as it did then but I am enjoying the story and how it captures that free-spirit and also the whole beat generations attitude to living life to the full and, interestingly, though there is use of out-dated terms for different races/ cultures, they whole-heartedly embraced these so-called counter-cultures during a time when I imagine the more conventional middle-American was not so embracing of these alternative cultures and civil rights for all. Kerouac’s descriptive writing is beautiful and the honesty in his escapades/ observations also capture my imagination, I picture the scenes and feel his love of the road, Denver, San Fran and Ozone Park and the highs and lows of his travels and encounters. It’s hard to imagine the kind of escapades he describes going on during such conservative times. One of my favourite reads, along with reads authored by Oscar Wilde, Morrissey (bio), Dostoyevsky and sure, a bit of Dan Brown and Agatha Christie to balance it out lol I’m also a sucker for a good thriller/ detective story. There are so many, depending on my mood.
    Oscar Wilde, my hero. Dan Brown - never read and for some reason Agatha just never did it for me. Possibly due to TV series.
    Dostoyevsky was for my younger, yearning to read the classics years. Even with new reading glasses the larger print I now require would possibly suffocate me if I happened to fall asleep with it while reading in bed.
    Likes Dusk1983 liked this post

7. Iam reading Milk and Honey
    In the Bible, milk and honey speaks of God's bountiful provision and symbolizes our basic need for solid spiritual food and sweet communion with the triune God through Christ. ...
    A great read!

DulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I had read Atlas Shrugged but not this one by Rand. So far I think it's better. More about vivid people/character study than harsh principles and idealisms.
    Likes Katey liked this post
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Katey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond repute
    Katey has a reputation beyond reputeKatey has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by DulyNoted View Post
    The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I had read Atlas Shrugged but not this one by Rand. So far I think it's better. More about vivid people/character study than harsh principles and idealisms.
    Uh...what happened to "Bartleby" by Tolstoy that I sent you, did you finish it already????
    Likes DulyNoted liked this post
    “I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when those such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.” ? Leonardo da Vinci

I most certainly did. Melville is a little PO'd that you swapped in Tolstoy in his place though! Know thyself and thy authors! Hehehehee
    Last edited by DulyNoted; 09-06-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    Likes Katey liked this post

Whisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to beholdWhisperjet727 is a splendid one to behold

"I Got Tired of Pretending" by the late Robert N Earll" a/k/a "Bob Earll" (30 Dec 1935 to 9 January 2018) Subtitle "How an Adult Raised in an Alcoholic/Dysfunctional Family Finds Freedom" (STEM Publications (1988) ISBN 0-922641-69-2 Paperback @2nd printing (1989) Tucson Arizona USA.
    Note this writer and national speaker in the Human Potential Movement & other "movements" had over 50 credits as a writer and a producer of USA TV shows such as ......."Switch" (Robert Wagner/late Eddie Arnold) Starsky & Hutch, Fantasy Island", "Vegas", "Charlies Angels" (original series 1976 & the 2011 TV series "Charlies Angels", & that "Lolly Pop detective" & series starring late Telly Savalas sp? in KOJAK (i think was a CBS TV series around the year 1978).....+ "The Fall Guy" "Hill Street Blues" "T J Hooker" etc

I am re-reading this book, I bought this book, many years ago, and, (I hoard things from books to rock n roll vinyl LP's to even travel agency international aircraft (desk models) the former by the hundred count).....getting to be a real problem as my residence is stuffed to the near ceiling in "STUFF" ! LOL

note: went to a 2 day "Workshop for Adult Children" lead by "Bob E" called "Cause & Effect" October 9 and October 10, 1998 in Tempe Arizona 85284. USA. and he was "sensational" !!!
    Last edited by Whisperjet727; 09-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies
    inside us while we live" (Norman Cousins)

artemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond reputeartemis has a reputation beyond repute

"Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife" by Mary Roach. An investigation of death and the soul. She also writes about the history and cultural similarities and differences of these topics.

BTW there is only one word for her style of writing: hilarious...
    Likes trish5959, Blackbird123 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    "Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife" by Mary Roach. An investigation of death and the soul. She also writes about the history and cultural similarities and differences of these topics.

BTW there is only one word for her style of writing: hilarious...
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've never heard of her and her books appear to be so interesting.
    Likes artemis liked this post

Flower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud of

Hello

I’m currently reading ‘On Writing - A Memoir of a Craft’, by Stephen King. It’s sort of half about his life and half some very honest, great tips on writing.

Having only known him for his horror stories, none of which I’ve actually really completely read - only watched the films, I was pleasantly surprised by his wonderful, down to earth humour. I’ve actually already read the book, but I read it more as a ‘teaching/instruction’ book about writing fiction....if that makes sense? I found it funny, humorously so not oddly so, the first time I read it.

Anyhoo, I’m now reading it again and now I’m finding even more humour. I’ve really warmed to him, as the person that he comes across as being.

For any aspiring writer it’s apparently a regime of 4-6 hour’s, at least , of reading and writing; everyday. Writing at least 1,000 word’s, a day. Yup, I can do that...it’s a load of drivel and booooring rubbish, that I direct my pen or pencil to write on paper; but it’s still a 1,000 word’s!

For any non-inspiring writer, it’s still a good read.

A friend has kindly just bought me, ‘The Book of Joy’ with His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, with Douglas Abrams as the author. It’s supposed to be a book filled with laughter, joy, tears and great insights. Has anybody else read this book?

Just wondering how ‘deep’ , this will take me? I must admit that it looks like a lovely book.

Quite a change from Patricia Cornwell’s books, that I’ve been ‘binge’ reading recently; when I’ve had time.

Take care all

Flower
    Last edited by Flower; 10-10-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Add on
    Likes artemis, trish5959 liked this post
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

15. I'm currently reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. As a high fantasy fan I'm still waiting for the next book in George R. R. Martin's series (could take a few more years) so I thought I would give Brandon Sanderson's books a try and I really like his style of writing. After the Mistborn series I'm planning on reading The Stormlight Archives series, so happy times ahead for me.

Mythvin has a spectacular aura aboutMythvin has a spectacular aura aboutMythvin has a spectacular aura aboutMythvin has a spectacular aura aboutMythvin has a spectacular aura about

Tracy Crosswhite series by Robert Dugoni... Nice reads....on book 5

17. Currently reading Barbarian Days A surfing Life. If you like travel and hearing what the early days of surfing were like this is a great read. Even if you don't surf. It won 2016 Pulitzer and Author is a writer for the New Yorker among other publications. Great Book so far!

I use my reading time as a way to 'block out' what's really happening in my life. I used to enjoy fiction but am currently on a non fiction spurge. Just finished some books on the Romanov family and Russian history in general.
    Likes Flower, amy43 liked this post

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry - Frederik Backman

Very good. Classic "you'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll cheer out loud! Same author as "A Man Called Ove".

Flower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud ofFlower has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by trish5959 View Post
    I use my reading time as a way to 'block out' what's really happening in my life. I used to enjoy fiction but am currently on a non fiction spurge. Just finished some books on the Romanov family and Russian history in general.
    @trish5959, I too use reading as a mechanism for escaping real life and the turmoil going on - whether the turmoil is in my head (too many ego thoughts, tripping over each other, to put me and my aspirations down!), or going on within my life on the physical plane.

I’m actually reading, ‘Anatomy Of The Spirit - The Seven Stages of Power and Healing’ by Caroline Myss. I decided to read this, before ‘The Book of Joy’ - which I waffled on about in post #133. I think ‘The Book of Joy’, needs to be read deeply....if that makes sense.

I suppose so does the ‘Anatomy Of The Spirit....’, by Caroline Myss. I’m about a 3rd of the way in and, although it’s very interesting, I’ve found a few contradictory things that Caroline has written about. The book is now gathering momentum, and has stopped - for a brief reprieve - being about what a great medical intuitive Caroline Myss is.

She’s now writing about our energy systems etc. She diplomatically talks about a number of religious beliefs, without favouring one over the other. I am not religious, but I am very spiritual - and yes, there have been many debates about the fact that you can’t be truly spiritual without being religious. I obviously disagree and I don’t want to get in to any debate, I do however respect other religions.

Sorry for rattling on about the book that I’m reading.

It’s just good to ‘escape’, as @trish5959 eloquently put it - in her own word’s above.

I also like to ensure that my young daughter sees me reading, and I ask her to make me bookmarks etc. At 9 year’s old, I want her to see that reading is a lifelong and enjoyable experience. Rather than her watching endless YouTube video’s etc. She’s now got her own favourite series of book’s....it’s about a cat, the cat begins with a name that I can’t remember nor pronounce. In fact the name sounds Russian. Anyhoo, it’s a proper book and I’m thrilled that she’s following in my footsteps - and enjoying reading. Along with watching YouTube video’s and playing on the Xbox!!

Happy reading.

Take care all

Flower
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

21. I absolutely love reading too, I have just finished the road by cormac mccarthy, oh he is such a great writer. Its very dark and bleak but such a page turner.
    Likes amy43 liked this post

22. what are you reading
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast