Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: what are you reading

1. Quote Originally Posted by trish5959 View Post
    It's been years since I read that but so worth a mention. One I also need to reread is 'Just Send Me Word' by Orlando Figes. It's about a couple who managed to exchange letters while he was in the Gulag.
    I read that kind of stuff mostly for history facts, wishing those things never happen again yet I see some people and terrible "ideas" around :/

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    what are you reading
    I too am an avid reader, at the moment I’m reading On The Road: the original scroll. I first read this when I was in my early twenties and yearned for the vast American landscape of the forties and all that bopping and zeal for life and living it up. 15-ish years, a wife and two kids on, I’m enjoying re-reading it but to live that life and adventure doesn’t appeal so strongly now as it did then but I am enjoying the story and how it captures that free-spirit and also the whole beat generations attitude to living life to the full and, interestingly, though there is use of out-dated terms for different races/ cultures, they whole-heartedly embraced these so-called counter-cultures during a time when I imagine the more conventional middle-American was not so embracing of these alternative cultures and civil rights for all. Kerouac’s descriptive writing is beautiful and the honesty in his escapades/ observations also capture my imagination, I picture the scenes and feel his love of the road, Denver, San Fran and Ozone Park and the highs and lows of his travels and encounters. It’s hard to imagine the kind of escapades he describes going on during such conservative times. One of my favourite reads, along with reads authored by Oscar Wilde, Morrissey (bio), Dostoyevsky and sure, a bit of Dan Brown and Agatha Christie to balance it out lol I’m also a sucker for a good thriller/ detective story. There are so many, depending on my mood.
    Likes trish5959 liked this post

DulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    DulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    Judgement Day by Chuck Paluhniuk. Wild premonition of where this country might be headed. Good, especially if you like his stuff. He is a bit zany though.
    Likes trish5959 liked this post
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I used to be an avid reader - always had a book on the go - but due to circumstances over the last few years my reading habits have changed quite dramatically. These days I tend to go with fact rather than fiction although a good thriller is always an excellent way to take my mind off others things. I also now like small books. Skip the pages of describing the landscape, the emotions, etc.
    My two recommendations at the moment are "A Woman in Berlin" written by anonymous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Woman_in_Berlin
    And Helen Garner, an Australian author who writes wonderfully spare, honest, straight to the heart stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DulyNoted View Post
    Judgement Day by Chuck Paluhniuk. Wild premonition of where this country might be headed. Good, especially if you like his stuff. He is a bit zany though.
    I think my days of Chuck et al are over. It's the same way I feel about my house. Make it simple, if you don't use it get rid of it.
    Never the less, will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk1983 View Post
    I too am an avid reader, at the moment I’m reading On The Road: the original scroll. I first read this when I was in my early twenties and yearned for the vast American landscape of the forties and all that bopping and zeal for life and living it up. 15-ish years, a wife and two kids on, I’m enjoying re-reading it but to live that life and adventure doesn’t appeal so strongly now as it did then but I am enjoying the story and how it captures that free-spirit and also the whole beat generations attitude to living life to the full and, interestingly, though there is use of out-dated terms for different races/ cultures, they whole-heartedly embraced these so-called counter-cultures during a time when I imagine the more conventional middle-American was not so embracing of these alternative cultures and civil rights for all. Kerouac’s descriptive writing is beautiful and the honesty in his escapades/ observations also capture my imagination, I picture the scenes and feel his love of the road, Denver, San Fran and Ozone Park and the highs and lows of his travels and encounters. It’s hard to imagine the kind of escapades he describes going on during such conservative times. One of my favourite reads, along with reads authored by Oscar Wilde, Morrissey (bio), Dostoyevsky and sure, a bit of Dan Brown and Agatha Christie to balance it out lol I’m also a sucker for a good thriller/ detective story. There are so many, depending on my mood.
    Oscar Wilde, my hero. Dan Brown - never read and for some reason Agatha just never did it for me. Possibly due to TV series.
    Dostoyevsky was for my younger, yearning to read the classics years. Even with new reading glasses the larger print I now require would possibly suffocate me if I happened to fall asleep with it while reading in bed.
    Likes Dusk1983 liked this post

7. what are you reading
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567