Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: what are you reading

Evil Has a Name. Its about East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer/Original Night Stalker.
    I have it on Audio Book. I like to listen while driving/doing house work.
    Its interesting.. True Story of how they caught him using his DNA and websites like Ancestry.com.
    Unbelievable the technology they used to find him.
    Likes CrayonBox, DW4210 liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    DulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    DulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    Just finishing "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles. Excellent book from a fairly new novelist. His storytelling is reminiscent of Fitzgerald, Hemingway and maybe a touch of Capote. It's a tale of young people and their intertwined lives in 1938 NYC.
    Likes amy43, CrayonBox liked this post
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I love reading, since the day I started to learn, before that I would beg my aunt and grandma to read to me or tell me stories about growing up. Those were probably the best years of my very early life. My passion for reading just continues to grow, I find it more difficult to find books that ignite my love for reading, they aren’t all enjoyable. I also have found a love of listening to recordings of books. When I am involved in a story, I feel it is part of me. The last series that made me giggle was the Shopaholic series, I do love to listen to books on recording either on a trip or just to work, but it has to be something that catches my attention. My friend has mentioned Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, I have read a lot of his books and enjoyed them, but lately I am getting older, my husband travels often for work and those late night sounds concern me. I will go back when the time is right, but I am not ready for scared yet
    Likes amy43 liked this post

Victoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to behold

Tolstoy’s War and Peace again, started it on a beach three weeks ago and am determined to finish it before tomorrow night as it’s taking too much room in my case and weighs a ton!
    Really should have had this on audio
    Likes amy43, pinkflower liked this post

Omega_Human will become famous soon enoughOmega_Human will become famous soon enough

“I was in Nashville, Tennessee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: 'Hey, whatcha readin' for?' Isn't that the weirdest ****in' question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading FOR? Well, goddamnit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well . . . hmmm...I dunno...I guess I read for a lot of reasons and the main one is so I don't end up being a ****in' waffle waitress.”
    ? Bill Hicks

7. I like to read various books on meditation and how to stay calm. I also read alot about alternative health and wellness and many do. Dr. Gundry has a good book called the Plant Paradox that speaks to people battling Fibro like me. It also contains recipes and stuff to help get you started

amy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
    Iam reading Milk and Honey
    In the Bible, milk and honey speaks of God's bountiful provision and symbolizes our basic need for solid spiritual food and sweet communion with the triune God through Christ. ...
    A great read!
    @blueboy, I like your reference to the need for spiritual food.

amy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Trainspotter View Post
    Right now I'm reading David Ickes new book "phantom self". Pretty eye opening stuff, I'll deffo be re-reading George Orwells 1984 when I'm finished

Much love
    Andie x
    @Trainspotter, Interesting man, David Icke. Agree with some but not all of his ideas. He has some good you tube videos. Read George Orwell's Animal farm and another of his. Compelling and so true of human nature at its worst sadly.

I finally finished The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, the giant Edward Gibbon tome. I mentioned it on other threads, but not this one because I was afraid I wouldn't finish it. And I sometimes would go 6-8 weeks without reading it, because the reality of this sweep of time is actually terrifying--from Augustus to the 15th c. It was 1253 pp. and this was an abridged version. What. A. Genius. And you get this new perspective of states and religions and classes like nowhere else (at least I did.)

But it was worth it, and I'd say it was the hardest and best book I have ever read. His mid-18th c. English is marvelous, and often very witty. I always vaguely thought I'd never read this, but I read some Chinese history on a historian's blog about a year ago, and he's a professional; so I was inspired to read this, which even gets around to a bit of Ghengis Khan, although I'm not that interested in Asian history yet.

Every sentence, every paragraph is packed with so much information it's dizzying. I definitely realized about p. 950 that I would have to re-read it. But I look forward to it, and I also look up all those rulers and places on the net. Now when I go to a great museum I'll know precisely what Minoan was and then what Mycaenian was, and Hellenistic being centered eventually later in Alexandria--things like that. It's not for everybody, I'd think.

I have always loved reading since I was a little girl when I was read to. I enjoy simple read that make me laugh “Confessions of acShoaholic series” by Sophia Kinsella. It is so entertaining to me and to some extent have found myself in similar situations. Sophia Kinsella also used the pen name Medline Wichline. I enjoy the reading because it takes m away from my o n similar problems which I am continue to eliminat. Anyway they are charming reads, rent one from the library or find a way to listen to it. Highly recommend, is considered more for lady’s but I don’t as entertained.

Victoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to beholdVictoria123 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by amy43 View Post
    @Trainspotter, Interesting man, David Icke. Agree with some but not all of his ideas. He has some good you tube videos. Read George Orwell's Animal farm and another of his. Compelling and so true of human nature at its worst sadly.
    @amy43
    Love Orwell’s books, agree he captures the worst of humanity and creates compelling books that stand the test of time. I based my A level English around Orwell.
    Icke I find interesting although, for me, Phantom Life felt very much like a re-hash or his previous books; like he’s run out of new content. We all have a right to an opinion but I think current world problems have a lot more to do with greed, selfishness and power hungry human behaviour than some form of lizard interbreeding. Negative and depressing and a rehash con job summed it up for me but an interesting insight into a mindset different to mine I guess.
    Likes amy43, pinkflower liked this post

@Victoria123, I also love Orwell's books and studied him for my O level in English Literature and then later took the A level and loved studying that as the teacher was challenging and asking questions which helped me to think and understand more deeply and increased my love of literature. King Lear is one I studied deeply and holds so much depth and insight into human nature combining the good and bad aspects of human nature and how easy it is to deceive ourselves and how great the cost can be when we do. I also really like Thomas Hardy, his poetry as he writes about nature and yet also has a sadness and solemness to his writing.
    I could rave on about my love of book and my favourites, but Time and The Conways is a play by J B Priestly, I think and is compelling though old as it is about the dynamics in a family, human nature, and the way the present affects the future as the play jumps ahead in time so that the fate of the characters is revealed and then jumps back again, all in one night, which I found fascinating and deeply insightful. It for me also has a profound message about the spiritual realm as it deals with suffering and how this life is not the end.
    I agree with you about Icke, and that current world problems are more based upon the dark and callous, greedy, power hungry human nature than the lizard theory! Brian Gerrish is more realistic and has a youtube video and column and speaks about the corruption on a deeper fact based level and is a compelling speaker with a lot of research. He is not arrogant as a lot of speakers can be and seems to have a quiet authority based upon his depth of knowledge, intelligence, and sense of hatred of the corruption he sees and speaks so eloquently about. Recommend. Would be interested to know if you have the time what you think?
    Thanks for writing back. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and insights.
    Likes Victoria123, CrayonBox liked this post

DulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond reputeDulyNoted has a reputation beyond repute
    Dean Koontz "The Crooked Staircase" served as comfort food for the brain (easy reading) and now I'm trying "A Gentleman in Moscow" Amor Towles second book. Hopefully it's as good as his first which surprised me. (Rules of Civility).
    Likes CrayonBox liked this post
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Amor Towles exceeded my expectations with "A Gentleman in Moscow". Fantastic historically based fiction. It takes place in Russia from 1917 to 1956. I understand that the people involved with the TV series "Peaky Blinders" and "Wallander" have purchased the rights to make this a TV mini-series. I'll be looking for it! - https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ken...ow-1202742322/
    Likes trish5959, pinkflower liked this post

I'm rereading Victoria by the Australian journalist/author Julia Baird. I think a lot of people possibly dismiss Victoria as just another monarch but she lived through some tumultuous times for Britain and the world in general and was one strong willed woman.
    Likes DulyNoted, pinkflower liked this post

"The Overstory" by Richard Powers. I had read his Pulitzer runner up "The Echomaker" and liked it. I liked this as well incredibly well researched unique telling of a truly "American tale"!

18. what are you reading
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678