Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: what are you reading

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

Educated by Tara Westover. A memoir of a woman brought up in the mountains of Idaho to survivalists who prepared for the end of the world, distrusted medicine (her mother was an herbalist/healer/midwife) and who didn't believe in education. One of Tara's. Rothers actually broke away from the family and went to college exposing her to a different life outside of their community.

Not only did she self educate herself enough to get into college with attending high school, she went on to Harvard and then Cambridge University.

Incredibly gripping book but so infuriating that parents could do what they did to their children. Tara Westover is one determined woman!

You can see an interview of her with Ellen on YouTube.
    Likes trish5959 liked this post

2. Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup (John Carreyrou , Author) (I highly recommend this well written TRUE STORY)

From Amazon pg

In 2014, Theranos founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes was widely seen as the female Steve Jobs: a brilliant Stanford dropout whose startup “unicorn” promised to revolutionize the medical industry with a machine that would make blood testing significantly faster and easier. Backed by investors such as Larry Ellison and Tim Draper, Theranos sold shares in a fundraising round that valued the company at more than $9 billion, putting Holmes’s worth at an estimated $4.7 billion. There was just one problem: The technology didn’t work.

A riveting story of the biggest corporate fraud since Enron, a tale of ambition and hubris set amid the bold promises of Silicon Valley.

bad blood.jpg
    Likes Bawston, trish5959, candygram, djrick liked this post

wobina will become famous soon enoughwobina will become famous soon enoughwobina will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by grannyof2boys View Post
    Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup (John Carreyrou , Author) (I highly recommend this well written TRUE STORY)
    Just saw the HBO documentary! That story is so insane! That she would do that to real consumers with serious diseases...
    Likes grannyof2boys liked this post

Power and Care: Toward Balance for Our Common Future-Science, Society, and Spirituality
    by Tania Singer (Editor), Matthieu Ricard (Editor), Kate Karius (Editor), Dalai Lama (Contribution by), Frans B. M. de Waal (Contribution by)

Leading thinkers from a range of disciplines discuss the compatibility of power and care, in conversation with the Dalai Lama.

For more than thirty years, the Dalai Lama has been in dialogue with thinkers from a range of disciplines, helping to support pathways for knowledge to increase human wellbeing and compassion. These conversations, which began as private meetings, are now part of the Mind & Life Institute and Mind & Life Europe. This book documents a recent Mind & Life Institute dialogue with the Dalai Lama and others on two fundamental forces: power and care—power over and care for others in human societies.

The notion of power is essentially neutral; power can be used to benefit others or to harm them, to build or to destroy. Care, on the other hand, is not a neutral force; it aims at increasing the wellbeing of others. Power and care are not incompatible: power, imbued with care, can achieve more than a powerless motivation to care; power, without the intention to benefit others, can be ruthless. The contributors—who include such celebrated figures as Frans B. M. de Waal, Olafur Eliasson, Sarah Blaffer Hrdy, and Jody Williams—discuss topics including the interaction of power and care among our closest relatives, the chimpanzees; the effect of meditation and mental training practices on the brain; the role of religion in promoting peace and compassion; and the new field of Caring Economics.

Whisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud of

North Carolina Moonshine ....An Illicit History. Authors: Frank Stephenson Jr., & Barbara Nichols Mulder (2017) publisher:
    American Palate Charleston S.C. ISBN # 978.1.46711.832.3 (142 pages) many sources, this is a non fiction book with
    many photographs.....a very absorbing read ! (IMHO)
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies
    inside us while we live." (Norman Cousins)

djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyof2boys View Post
    Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup (John Carreyrou , Author) (I highly recommend this well written TRUE STORY)

From Amazon pg

In 2014, Theranos founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes was widely seen as the female Steve Jobs: a brilliant Stanford dropout whose startup “unicorn” promised to revolutionize the medical industry with a machine that would make blood testing significantly faster and easier. Backed by investors such as Larry Ellison and Tim Draper, Theranos sold shares in a fundraising round that valued the company at more than $9 billion, putting Holmes’s worth at an estimated $4.7 billion. There was just one problem: The technology didn’t work.

A riveting story of the biggest corporate fraud since Enron, a tale of ambition and hubris set amid the bold promises of Silicon Valley.

bad blood.jpg

A great book. Holmes - a total fake, right down to her dark roots and fake 'deep' voice.

John Carreyrou is the multiple Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who brought down the company through his thorough, diligent investigative reporting, and scumbug Holmes (while Theranos still had hundreds of employees) led her entire organization into a cheer “**** Carreyrou! **** Carreyrou!” over and over again when his story hit the stands. A shameless charlatan like Elizabeth Holmes is naturally going to lead her followers with such Nuremberg-style rallies in order to counteract the forces of the truth.

Holmes.png
    "All cruelty springs from weakness." --Seneca (4 BC - AD 65)

petenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    petenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    @djrick It is a great book and the documentary gave it perfect color.

But seeing that pic that size is scary..........they said she never blinks. Well less coffee for me now
    Last edited by petenyc; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:34 AM.
    Likes djrick liked this post
    A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life - Unknown

Whisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud of

Late Bloomers ..."The Power of Patience in a World Obsessed with Early Achievement" ~ Rich Karlgaard
    (publisher of Forbes magazine) ....Century Books New York ....(2019) ISBN 978-1-5247-5976-6 (294 pgs)
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies
    inside us while we live." (Norman Cousins)

petenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living by Ryan Holiday
    Publisher: Portfolio (October 18, 2016)
    A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life - Unknown

10. I had a bad bout of insomnia and read all of Bad Blood in one go. Really interesting, it reminded me of the documentary on Fyre Festival. It makes ya think doesn't it?

MarySue
    Likes Whisperliner L1011, djrick liked this post

11. I love reading and am currently getting into a farewell to arms. I am partial to modernist literature.

djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by petenyc View Post
    @djrick It is a great book and the documentary gave it perfect color.

But seeing that pic that size is scary..........they said she never blinks. Well less coffee for me now

Hi Pete, Thanks for the tag. Holmes is one scary woman, lol, freaky eyes, her fake deep voice and trying to channel Steve Jobs with the black turtle necks. It would be refreshing to see a corporate criminal such as her face a perp walk but I will not hold my breath.

On topic - recently finished the detective series starring Fiona Griffiths by author Harry Bingham.

Likes petenyc liked this post

@djrick Scary is being nice to describe her..... I think you and everyone else will get their wish. Whenever I see her I think she must be related to Marty Feldman

I will look up Harry Bingham and maybe give that a try. Just finishing a Robert Crais novel.
    Last edited by petenyc; 5 Days Ago at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petenyc View Post
    @djrick Scary is being nice to describe her..... I think you and everyone else will get their wish. Whenever I see her I think she must be related to Marty Feldman

I will look up Harry Bingham and maybe give that a try. Just finishing a Robert Crais novel.

She had some really powerful men on the board of her sham science company. They might want to take note that just because she put on a lab coat neither made her a scientist or smart, a grifter and scammer, but not a brilliant scientist although MSM helped her carry her lies for some time. Time will tell if the the Feds bring charges.

I’ve read all of Crais books and am a big fan of Elvis and Joe. I think you might enjoy Fiona! Have a good day.
    Likes petenyc liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789