Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeing a new doctor, advice.

1. Default seeing a new doctor, advice.

Hello, I am new here and need some advice on my medical well being. About a year ago I sustained a knee injury. The injury has really affected my life in that even standing from sitting makes me cringe. Before losing insurance I had found a doctor that was prescribing me hydrocodone and it was working great. It has been a year since my insurance has expired and I am in a position where I have medical treatment through my school. I am at a point now of taking 15 or more ibuprofen a day. I am not saying my pain is even close to some people with cancer or bad backs, but it certainly is affecting my life. My question is, when I go see a new doctor, would it be in my favor to bring a copy of my online medical record? My record shows that I was previously on Hydrocodone for about a year because of the knee injury. Am I better off trying to go and start from scratch? I would think having the documented prescription would help me, but I dont want to give the DR any bad feelings. Thank you.

I tend to think it would help. You had something that was working and your reason for going off it was not because it stopped working but because of your insurance situation. Edited to add: Definitely having documentation that you were prescribed hydro in the past is better than just going in and hoping for the best, IMO.

If you are concerned about the doctor having "bad feelings", I would just make sure that that is not the only thing in your past record that you show him. Bring other documentation to his attention---when the injury happened, what your level of pain has been, what you have tried. And definitely mention how much ibuprofen you are taking. That's going to cause some bad stomach issues soon and hopefully he can give you something else before that happens.
    Helpful bostonurmyhome, Binky, C_Dub, Stevo1 Rated helpful

3. I agree, I am concerned about the ibuprofen. I dont think that I have anything on my record that would bring up any issues. What kind of things are you referring to? This instance is the only time I had any pain meds prescribed for an ongoing period and they were only 5/325, however, they worked much better than the OTC stuff. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by radartheman View Post
    Hello, I am new here and need some advice on my medical well being. About a year ago I sustained a knee injury. The injury has really affected my life in that even standing from sitting makes me cringe. Before losing insurance I had found a doctor that was prescribing me hydrocodone and it was working great. It has been a year since my insurance has expired and I am in a position where I have medical treatment through my school. I am at a point now of taking 15 or more ibuprofen a day. I am not saying my pain is even close to some people with cancer or bad backs, but it certainly is affecting my life. My question is, when I go see a new doctor, would it be in my favor to bring a copy of my online medical record? My record shows that I was previously on Hydrocodone for about a year because of the knee injury. Am I better off trying to go and start from scratch? I would think having the documented prescription would help me, but I dont want to give the DR any bad feelings. Thank you.
    @radartheman - what you will typically need to do is bring your medical records that show your previous scripts. Also, you should have a recent MRI or x-ray too. They may ask for that. If you want a good pain clinic try centralmedicalconsultants.com they will pre-screen your condition based on records and then hook you up with a doctor that will meet your neeeds. They are located in many cities within the USA. I hope this info. is helpufl. Let me know if or if I can help. Good luck.
    Helpful Binky, Stevo1 Rated helpful

I agree, I am concerned about the ibuprofen. I dont think that I have anything on my record that would bring up any issues. What kind of things are you referring to? This instance is the only time I had any pain meds prescribed for an ongoing period and they were only 5/325, however, they worked much better than the OTC stuff. Thank you!
    Sorry, I may have been unclear. I was thinking that if the only thing you do is say, "Here is a record of me getting Vicodin, and that's what I want", it might not work out as well. If you go in and say, "Here is my record, with tests and Dr's summary and the treatment that worked (i.e., the Vicodin)", you are giving a more complete picture and are less likely to come off as someone just looking for meds.

It's such a balancing act, and it frustrates me. Why is it such a terrible thing to ask for what we know works? Good luck.
    Likes C_Dub liked this post

Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    It's such a balancing act, and it frustrates me.
    Why is it such a terrible thing to ask for what we know works?
    Doctors are afraid now especially the younger ones.
    I just wish we could find out in advance b4 going
    in and filling out those endless forms and wasting time & money.
    They should make you sign an agreement you will only take
    30 vicodin a month, won't call early for refills,
    not claim that you lost your meds etc.

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

In my personal experience I usually try to play dumb so to speak when it comes to talking to my doc about meds. In fact I almost always see the PA and she usually prescribes whatever I need as far as benzos and with my recent back problems she gave me the main three muscle relaxers, when I said those didn't work she wanted to give me Vicodin but I turned her down and asked to try a different muscle relaxer as to give her the idea that I don't want any opoids. Honestly though some Vicodin 5's wouldn't do shit for me anway. Its kind of like a game with the doctors and you don't want to seem to eager especially for pain meds, I am fairly young, tattoos, bald head and kind of look scary haha so I try to dress as respectable as I can when seeing her. She has no idea I used to take subs or that I've Bern in treatment or that I go to a methadone clinic now and it'd going to stay that way or she would probably never even give me tylenol again haha. Just play it cool and a little dumb when dealing with docs if your young in my opinion.

rmiller79 will become famous soon enough

I think you should tell him/her, just what you told us; including bringing documentation of the injury, diagnostic, and previous medications. If you don't get help, try another doctor. I broke a rib once, and the doc sent me away with ibuprofen. I couldn't believe it. So I went home, waited until the next morning, then called her office; left a message how much pain I was still in and bamm. Within an hour 60 hydros with my name on them.
    Likes Stevo1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Roshell10mg View Post
    They should make you sign an agreement you will only take
    30 vicodin a month, won't call early for refills,
    not claim that you lost your meds etc.
    When you say "they should", do you mean that you think this is what the doctors ought to do? Or are you letting the thread-starter know what to expect?

If it's the former, I have to say, 30 vicodin a month doesn't go very far for someone in significant pain.

Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    @lucyloo No I meant what to expect.
    If you're in pain 1 tab only lasts 4 to 6 hours
    so you would need min 2 a day at least.
    Actually now the agreement is written on each prescription
    where I reside.

11. Thanks for the advice guys. I have an apt on FRI. I dont have xray copies, but I have my med record/health summary. I am going to bring it in a just explain I am taking a bottle of ibuprofen a week. Also, there are other non-narcotic meds on my record I am going to ask them to re-prescribe. Honestly, 30 vics a month would be more than enough as I only take them when I need it. I have never had a problem in the past, but every time prior to my appointments I freak out haha. Wish me luck, its xmas so maybe they will be in the spirit of giving :-)

Great advice in this thread about the need to document treatment in today's medical climate, presenting treatment as a whole, not just meds.

You were very fortunate to get a compassionate doctor to prescribe pain meds for so long, but I didn’t see mention of standard treatment like physical therapy, or consults with an orthopedic surgeon or neurologist. Your new doctor may ask about this. I bought a pully system to help me with some exercises I found online that really helped my frozen shoulder. Did you try anything on your own to relieve your pain? Some alternative methods are meditation, bio feedback, relaxation techniques for sleep…

Also, a brief, very brief explanation of how this injury has really impacted your life negatively. You spoke about pain when getting up. How else has the quality of your life diminished? You go to school, assuming college-very important, right, so what is harder to do now than prior to your injury? Think everyday activities like studying, driving, sleep disturbance…maybe you had an exercise regimen that you can’t tolerate now?

I may be a bit naïve here but: If at all possible, do whatever it takes, physical therapy especially, to strengthen and heal yourself. You really, really do not want to go down the endless road of chronic pain, and the need for pain relief, especially early in life.

Good luck!
    Helpful C_Dub, Stevo1 Rated helpful

13. yea agreed /\ I have been dealing with this for about 2 years now doing mri's some pt early on and stretches etc. I can say that if I learned one thing from this, document everything. Save everything, braces, med bottles etc. While I feel confident I will get some help, I would feel so much better if I had all that stuff. Thanks for the feedback guys.

happyj will become famous soon enoughhappyj will become famous soon enough

It seems to me that you should always fully disclose the truth to keep from any issues coming up later that might contradict your history. However, any history can be told in such a way that favors your present predicament so that you can get what you want since you are the best to know what works and what does not work. You can't help if a Dr. is predisposed not to want to write you a certain script but you can express your issues firmly, authentically, and compassionately so the Dr. is more likely to write you the script you want. But if you withhold your history in any way, you have to keep remembering for each new doctor (if necessary) and any change in history can come back to bite you if you get caught withholding. It just seems easier to me to argue a positive case based upon a good foundation than an argument on a weak foundation. Either way I hope you can get your issues addressed the way you need.
    Likes Stevo1, alumni liked this post

Stevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant future

All the Info given on this thread is Very Good.

Now that you have Insurance through your school Can you have Surgery to correct the Problem? Knee surgery is Very Successful and the longer you don't correct the problem the worse it will be later on. I know this first hand with my Knee & Shoulder...I waited 10 years to have surgery on my Knee and suffered for nothing. I had the surgery on my Knee and it has been Great for Years! Same with my Shoulder but waiting for so long to have the surgery caused me to spend a Gruelingly Painful 2 Years of PT to get it back! The last thing you want to do is start on a road of narcotics at a young age. Better to fix the problem now if possible. If you express to the New Doc that you want to get the Knee fixed but need something for the pain now and show him your records I don't think any reasonable Doc would refuse you. JMHO
    Last edited by Stevo1; 12-21-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    Stare into my Avatar....Relax

UGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant future

If I were you....I would tell them what you have been taking (the ibuprofen) and how many ...I wouldn't ask for pain meds...just say this obviously is not touching your pain and you really need a new option because you can't function. I think the doc would respond more favorably after stating this.
    Likes waverunner liked this post

17. 30 hydros a month aren't hard to get by a doc if ur in ur condition don't worry everything will be alrite and I'm sure Ull get more than what ya really wanted

pinchpot will become famous soon enough

Be careful with the ibuprofen. It can definitely cause stomach ulcers in regular and close to max recommended daily dosages.

For minor pain its fine because you aren't getting close to large dosage but if you need to take a lot of it you are going to be doing yourself more harm than helping your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by pinchpot View Post
    Be careful with the ibuprofen. It can definitely cause stomach ulcers in regular and close to max recommended daily dosages.

For minor pain its fine because you aren't getting close to large dosage but if you need to take a lot of it you are going to be doing yourself more harm than helping your pain.
    This is true. I ended up in the Emergency Department a few months ago, thinking that I was dying. Turns out, it was a fairly simple case of too much ibuprofen and naproxen.

liztaylor will become famous soon enough

I agree with those that said to share the history. Offer to visit the doctor every month to get a new prescription. It sounds like you do need this for now.

I have a friend with a similar background and did the same, but really wanted to get better. So he took out a loan and bought a hot tub. He drink about 1/4 martini in the hot tub and says the feeling is healing. On those nights he only takes an aspirin and goes to bed. He's made this up to 5 nights a week now, with sat and sun reserved for the heavier stuff.
    Likes RunRunRiver liked this post
    Henri Matisse: “Creativity takes courage"

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast