Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally! Slow taper guidelines come out!!!!!

Doc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    @Doc Rogue...I’m very careful with what I say to all of my doctors because although I theoretically have access to all of my info in this database, I do not have access to the section of doctor’s ‘notes’. Those would be the notes of a doctors impressions of you as well as any comments you might make about your feelings or satisfaction with other doctors.
    Trust me, I am the same. If he asks me something, I’m straight up honest. Like once earlier on when I had something else not prescribed show up on a test. He asked me about them, said I had some on hand and took them to help with the pain.
    I knew I was jacked, but I think because I didn’t hesitate to be forthright about it, he just told me not to take anything anymore that he didn’t prescribe.
    I’m definitely very careful since then. But if I get asked specifics, I’m not going to lie to them.

I only had one doc get really frustrated with me. And we were friends too outside of the hospital setting, went fishing together etc.
    He is a GP, and I begin to understand that he didn’t want to be the one constantly giving me pain meds. These were hydro 7.5’s back then lol. (Apologies if that’s your med of choice).
    I left him as I could tell it was making him uncomfortable, that and he couldn’t seem to “fix” my condition. (Surprisingly, it was him that helped get in and diagnosed correctly with the Rheumatologist just recently, about 10years after I left him).
    Those were the dark years for me, as I bounced around to many different docs, each trying out what non-narcotic med they thought would help me.
    Many of those being AD’s. I don’t think I’ve hated any feeling more than being on some of the harder anti-depressants. Ugh, wouldn’t ever want to go through that period of life again. Ever.
    Likes M77 liked this post

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute
    Bawston has a reputation beyond repute
    @Doc Rogue...I would agree that having a friendship with your doctor could get very uncomfortable for a lot of reasons. I try to be congenial with my doctors to hopefully get a rapport going but nothing too personal. Being honest in your case was probably the best way to go. One thing I’ve never admitted to - because there is no way any doctor would ever know - is that my father was an alcoholic. That’s supposedly a red flag for drug abuse and since I don’t have a problem with alcohol and have always managed my meds as prescribed, I just don’t go there.

OMG! Since I have fibromyalgia and migraines every doctor insisted on hitting me with anti D’s. They have not only not been helpful for my condition but some made me depressed and suicidal. I remember one time my husband found me sitting on the floor trying to rip my skin off my arms. Since that I’ve got it in my records that I’m very sensitive to medications, especially anti D’s.
    Helpful Doc Rogue Rated helpful
    Likes M77 liked this post

Doc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to allDoc Rogue is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    @Doc Rogue
    OMG! Since I have fibromyalgia and migraines every doctor insisted on hitting me with anti D’s. They have not only not been helpful for my condition but some made me depressed and suicidal. I remember one time my husband found me sitting on the floor trying to rip my skin off my arms. Since that I’ve got it in my records that I’m very sensitive to medications, especially anti D’s.
    Oh, totally the same for me, definitely became more depressed on some of them. Especially one med in particular, Cymbalta. And I’ll never forget my first dose of 30mg.
    I’ve never taken any sort of psychedelic or dissociative before, but that’s what I’d imagine it would be like. The worst brain fog of my life, followed by a 12 hour headache that was almost one of the worst I’d ever had. I ended up breaking down the capsules to thirds and slowly easing up to the 60mg, nearly to the 90mg he wanted me at.
    I stopped them a couple of months later after reading others experiences on how awful of a med it was for them to wean from. Reading about their experiences, that and not noticing any positive benefit up to that point was enough for me. I left that doc too right after that fiasco. Weird also, because I’ve heard that med was one of the best for neuropathy.
    Anyway, I get the whole trying lower tier meds as a way to find something that helps before pulling out the pk’s, but after several different docs and numerous AD’s I was pretty much cured from ever trying anything from that type of medication.
    It just didn’t sit right with me to take an AD when I never had a problem earlier in life, and don’t fight depression when my pain lessens up or is well controlled. I do seem to suffer from the seasonal type depression, but that could be due to my pain levels also increasing in the colder months.
    Helpful M77 Rated helpful

@Doc Rogue
    There are many similarities in our situations. I too was always the member of my family that was the first out the door, to engage in outdoor activities, that would push the envelope (not with safety, but with exertion) starting from a young age, until I was sabotaged by disc issues, etc.

When I was a kid, I got my family to hike to the summit of mountain in New Hampshire. It wasn’t like we climbed the whole thing, but after a tram took you up pretty high, you could hike to the summit. I won’t bore everyone with more examples, but I will leave it at regardless of if it was going around Epcot Center, numerous times at Disney, to walking many miles in Paris, just to see the sights, I always pushed it.

Anyway, the point was, as you have mentioned, once you get hit with disc problems, and the usual impingement on the spinal cord, resulting in not just back pain, but neuropathy in the legs and feet, your life changes more than anyone that hasn’t experienced this, could imagine.

I fortunately was not hit with any Antidepressants. Instead, I was given Neurontin, which didn’t work, then Lyrica, and now Nortriptyline, in addition to Lyrica. These medications were previously used as anti-seizure meds, but found to be effective in treating nerve pain. The way they work is to interfere with the pain receptors, by blocking the synapses that your nerves send to to the brain. Interestingly, for me, they didn’t start with these instead of pain killers, they are now being used to try to have a rationale to stop with the pain killers. Besides the fact that these meds barely help, they really mess around with your memory. The only reason I say they barely work, is I felt no relief from them, at all. But, as I selectively tried stopping them, to eliminate the one that was really screwing around with my short term memory, stopping them severely increased my pain. So I guess they do help, but the onset is very subtle, but stopping them is like being hit with a sledgehammer.

You had posted, previously, that you had to get through the work day, by sucking up the pain, to only get home and be in agony. This really hit home, because I have to do the same thing. I am many years from retirement, and since I own my own business, going on disability isn’t an option, I am truly worried about making it to retirement. Short of a miracle, I don’t think I could get through a workday, without pain meds, and while I wouldn’t say I’m clinically depressed, a more accurate description would be extremely worried. Unless the CDC stops the BS with the pressure and guidelines against prescription pain meds, I don’t see any possible way that I will make it to retirement.

We have discussed the whole slow taper thing, on other threads, but for me, it is like an axe hanging over my head. I can only hope things get better, rather than worse. The only “crisis” I can foresee, is my quality of life being destroyed, if I am denied medication that I have used responsibly for too many years to count.
    Last edited by M77; 7 Hours Ago at 09:06 PM. Reason: Typo
    Helpful Stevo1 Rated helpful
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12