Thread: Question to those who have had a seizure(s)

Exclamation Question to those who have had a seizure(s)

About 5years ago I was put on a maximum dosage of cymbalta to help with chronic pain and depression from stage 3 cancer. I was taking the drug for about one year and when my chemo stopped, I decided to stop taking the cymbalta as well. Well instead of tapering me off the drug, my dr just told me to stop cold turkey. It wasn't too bad as far as withdrawel side effects except that one night, I was laying in bed and all of a sudden, it felt like I was having an outer body experience. I couldn't move and I couldn't yell for my husband ( he was in another room). I literally felt like I was dying. It's hard to say but I think it lasted about 1 minute. Do you think I could have experienced a seizure? I've always wondered what that was but haven't gotten an answer from my doctor.
    When you have a seizure, do you realize you are having a seizure or do you black out ?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated
    Helpful mel114 Rated helpful

H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmt51608 View Post
    About 5years ago I was put on a maximum dosage of cymbalta to help with chronic pain and depression from stage 3 cancer. I was taking the drug for about one year and when my chemo stopped, I decided to stop taking the cymbalta as well. Well instead of tapering me off the drug, my dr just told me to stop cold turkey. It wasn't too bad as far as withdrawel side effects except that one night, I was laying in bed and all of a sudden, it felt like I was having an outer body experience. I couldn't move and I couldn't yell for my husband ( he was in another room). I literally felt like I was dying. It's hard to say but I think it lasted about 1 minute. Do you think I could have experienced a seizure? I've always wondered what that was but haven't gotten an answer from my doctor.
    When you have a seizure, do you realize you are having a seizure or do you black out ?
    Hi-

This does not sound like any type of seizure I have seen or studied. In fact, it sounds like a type of sleep paralysis. There are many types of seizures, but most involve movement of some type and while pre-seizure auras are not uncommon, being cognizant of the seizure would be.
    Helpful Rmt Rated helpful
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

mimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond repute
    mimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond repute
    Hi @Rmt51608, I think it's possible that you could have experienced a panic attack (I can't be certain though since I'm not a medical professional like @H20shed65). I have panic disorder, and panic attacks can literally come on out of the blue. I remember one specific panic attack where I was laying in bed with my husband, and all of a sudden I felt like I was outside of my own body. My whole body went numb and felt kind of tingly. My heart was racing so fast that I thought it was going to fly right out of my chest. I could talk, but it seemed like someone else was talking even though it was definitely me talking, and I kept saying, "I'm dying, I can't breath" because I couldn't breath because I was hyperventilating. My husband was holding me and telling me to calm down etc. but his voice sounded so far away. I seriously thought I was going to die. I kept telling my husband to call 911, but he kept reassuring me that I was having a panic attack and he just held me until I was feeling better.

My panic attacks have always lasted longer than 1 minute, but panic attacks might be something worth researching. I've never had a seizure, so I can't offer any info about seizures. I would definitely talk to your doctor about your experience though. Take care, and please keep us posted!
    Helpful Rmt, Roz Rated helpful
    Likes pearlsjam liked this post

Thank you both for your reply, @mimi I think what you described sounds much like what happened to me except that I couldn't speak. You know those dreams where you try to yell but nothing comes out? That's exactly how it felt. I also remember feeling like I was falling off the bed ( which I wasn't) . Anyways, I'm not too worried about it because it hasn't happened since and I'm pretty sure it was a side effect of stopping the cymbalta cold turkey. I've just always wondered what it was that I experienced because of how bizarre it was. Thanks for your input @mimi and @H20shed65
    Likes mimi, H20shed65 liked this post

mimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond repute
    mimi has a reputation beyond reputemimi has a reputation beyond repute
    Thank you both for your reply, @mimi I think what you described sounds much like what happened to me except that I couldn't speak. You know those dreams where you try to yell but nothing comes out? That's exactly how it felt. I also remember feeling like I was falling off the bed ( which I wasn't) . Anyways, I'm not too worried about it because it hasn't happened since and I'm pretty sure it was a side effect of stopping the cymbalta cold turkey. I've just always wondered what it was that I experienced because of how bizarre it was. Thanks for your input @mimi and @H20shed65
    No Problem @Rmt51608! Now that you mention it, with the panic attack I mentioned above, I also remember a feeling of vertigo (like I was being pulled/falling off the bed too). I'm not a medical professional, but I'm extremely surprised that your doctor would just take you off of your Cymbalta cold turkey. It's too bad that he/she didn't taper you off of the Cymbalta properly. I hope you don't have any more of those scary experiences. I would never wish a panic attack on my worst enemy. They are the worst, and you literally think you are going to die. If I were you, I would still mention your experience to your doctor though since I'm not a medical professional. Take care, and I'm happy I was able to help you out. Take care

Sounds very similar to a "sleep paralysis" symptom.
    Abrupt change in medication use (up or down) has been reported as a possible diagnosis but I don't know of any reputable medical research that has specifically identified what causes these to occur.
    It's happened to me and can be pretty damn scary.

Oh my gosh, thank you alL so much. I haven't heard heard of sleep paralysis but after a quick google search it's quite apparent that that's exactly what I experienced. I also found a few sources that confirm that it can be a side affect from stopping cymbalta abruptly. I read that the sleep paralysis episodes can last as long as an hour, how scary that would be!
    Again, thank you to all who have responded because I am now 100% sure that is what I experienced. This forum is great
    Likes mimi liked this post

8. When I have a seizure I never remember them. I have even argued with people that no I didn’t have one as I felt fine.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.