Thread: Keppra

Mich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura about

Default Keppra

Anyone with experience with Keppra for epilepsy? My soon to be 17 yr old son has been on it for 2 years. He gets extremely irritable and I'm not sure if it's the meds or if it's just attitude. He is adhd as well. He has 1 seizure a year. When he was 7 he started having petit male and was on zeurontin for about 2 years then he was weaned off around age 10. When he was 15 he had his first gran mal on the school bus. And then another last summer in the shower. He had shaking in his arm last week, but never went into a seizure at school.

2. I have been taking Keppra since 2011, added to Lamictal which I have been taking for nearly 20 years. I started on 500mg twice a day which 3 years ago was increased to 750mg twice a day.
    Because I am taking Lamictal my situation is a little different to your sons but I was quick to anger when I started taking Keppra.
    I was told by the Neuro to try adding a multi B supplement as B6 or B12(can't remember which) can be depleted by Keppra, I don't know if it has been a placebo effect but I have been much better since.
    Due to your sons age though, it may be adolescence or a combination of both causing this.
    Helpful sara22 Rated helpful
    Likes Mich82 liked this post

Mich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura aboutMich82 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure either if it's his age or the meds. Maybe I'll talk to his doc about the B supplements. He's always been a little hard headed, A-type personality but keppra seems to bring out a temper and attitude. I'm guesssing a surge in hormones probably doesn't help. (I'm not a guy so idk the timing of men's hormones through puberty much.. lol )

Quote Originally Posted by nvanheeswyk View Post
    I have been taking Keppra since 2011, added to Lamictal which I have been taking for nearly 20 years. I started on 500mg twice a day which 3 years ago was increased to 750mg twice a day.
    Because I am taking Lamictal my situation is a little different to your sons but I was quick to anger when I started taking Keppra.
    I was told by the Neuro to try adding a multi B supplement as B6 or B12(can't remember which) can be depleted by Keppra, I don't know if it has been a placebo effect but I have been much better since.
    Due to your sons age though, it may be adolescence or a combination of both causing this.

chedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to beholdchedda is a splendid one to behold

I was diagnosed with generalized epilepsy myself about 4 years ago. Been taking Keppra ever since and as long as I take my medicine I have no episodes. I will admit after my first seizure I thought it was a fluke and stopped taking my Keppra -- shortly after I had another one. Now I make sure I never miss a dose. For me I really see no side effects and never had family, friends, or coworkers complain about my attitude. Those teenage years can be tough on anyone I would probably lean more towards just hormones and those teenage years.

I used to be on the twice a day and then switched over to extended release as its easier just to take all at once. I take 4x 500mg each morning.

Quote Originally Posted by chedda View Post
    I was diagnosed with generalized epilepsy myself about 4 years ago. Been taking Keppra ever since and as long as I take my medicine I have no episodes. I will admit after my first seizure I thought it was a fluke and stopped taking my Keppra -- shortly after I had another one. Now I make sure I never miss a dose. For me I really see no side effects and never had family, friends, or coworkers complain about my attitude. Those teenage years can be tough on anyone I would probably lean more towards just hormones and those teenage years.

I used to be on the twice a day and then switched over to extended release as its easier just to take all at once. I take 4x 500mg each morning.
    I didn't know there was ER. I'll be asking his doc about it. Thanks for replying.

Japaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond reputeJapaholic has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone with epilepsy ever tried cannabis oil?
    You can not define yourself in reference to other external coordinates, you must define yourself internally with your relationship with a higher entity. - Russell Brand.

Whisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud of

@chedda,
    Not me, but my last wife, a registered nurse and Senior Staff member of largest hospital, from Atlanta GA to Washington DC, took
    the following meds, the last year of our marriage, one year of legal separation, and one year post Divorce, years 2006, 2007, 2008.
    Female Age 49, 50, 51 years old.

1. Keppra 500mg take four (4) BID (total of 4,000 mg per day) RX came in bottles of #672 pills per USA tradition. DX: Micro Mini
    Seizures, not to be confused with Grand Mal Seizure.

2. Brand Name starts with a Nxxxxxxxx, 600 mg oval tablets, (Gabapentin) four (4) po qhs #338 per bottle, that is 2,400 mg per day.
    DX: Severe Neuropathy in the feet. Started this med, at her age of 39. maybe lesser doses, by age 48, she was 5'4" and her weight
    only 115 lbs.

3. Sxxxxxxxx Tablets brand name by Axxxxxx Labs, (levothyroxine sodium) later possibly generic, 75mg one (1) po QD #90 in USA
    common prescription bottle. for dx of hypothyroid deficiency, "hypothyroidism", Had been on this med since age 40, non stop.

4. hctz 25 mg. po qd #90 (hydrochlorothiazide) at least years 2006, 2007, 2008.

5. Lxxxxxx 20 mg. tablets (brand name) by Fxxxxx (escitalopram) beginning in year 2006, for Major Depression, Recurrent, Severe
    with Psychotic Features, DSM-IV code 296.34 elevated from previous Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Moderate, 296.32
    years, 1989 to 1999. (Treated with Pxxxxx by Pulvules by Dxxxx Pharma (brand) 20mg to 30 mg per day. Switched in 1999 to
    another SSRI to brand Cxxxxxx tablets by Fxxxxx 20mg po bid (40 mg, from Pxxxxx by Dxxxx Pharma)
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies
    inside us while we live." (Norman Cousins)

Whisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud ofWhisperliner L1011 has much to be proud of

@chedda Post #4 continued from post #7

6. Cxxxxxxx (E. L. USA mfg) 60 mg. po qd #90 duloxetine hci (that is 4 x 60 mg = 240 mg per day) which replaced Cxxxxx by Fxxxxx
    20 mg per day.

7. Vxxxxxxx mfg Nxxxxxxxx (100 mg po qd prn #90 (diclofenac sodium enteric coated tablets) for DX of neck muscle spasm that were
    side effects of near fatal car accident with 1st husband in year 1977, at my ex-wife's age of just 21 years old in a Datsun 210, they
    were both victims of being jackknifed, on the passengers side, my ex wife had to be cut out of the total lossed Datsun/Nission 210,
    and sustained very serious knee cap injuries, nearly lost her right leg !!! She received US $60,000 after 8 year court battle for a
    10 per cent disability, from the car accident, where she was a victim !!!

8. Femhrt tablets 1 mg/5mcg one 1) po #90 (norethindrone acetate/ethinyl estradiol) for post menopause for year 2007, 2008 at
    ex-wife's (as of Oct 9, 2007) her move against me, as, the attorney's were the winners getting well over $10,000.00+ in a
    prolonged nasty court battle, and a un-necessary restraining order on me until Dec 27, 2008. Ex wife's age at end of Restraining
    Order, was age 52. I lost 4 antique cars, and was left with one home, my ex wife ran thru Divorce Settlement, of approx US
    $90,000.00 in 60 days, purchased new sports car and new home, and lost both her homes within 3 years due to unemployment,
    IMHO a nervous breakdown, lost two career jobs, sold both homes for payoff, and, moved 500 miles away from me. The church
    of our membership could not save the marriage, nor CODA nor Alanon nor AA. It was never infidelity, but likely living beyond our
    means, and, 1/2 x 1/2 = 2/4 of a person (couple) we both had USA Psychiatrist, from the get-go, and, psychotherapy failed both of
    us, and exotic vacations were only band aids, in a attempt to reduce the stress of living both of us on a high roll. We never either
    of us had kids, thought we were the model couple of DINKS. We have had our closure 7 years ago and will never see one another
    again. Guess we both just wasted, 12 years of our life, but in terms of outside impression management, we fit the bill, until the
    very end. Sad story for both of us.

9. Regarding the my use of "Keppra" I have never taken one tablet in my life.
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies
    inside us while we live." (Norman Cousins)

My husband was just diagnosed with generalized seizures. He fell at work and hit his head so hard he was out for 45 mins. He has been on Keppra since then for about a year . He finally started back to work after being off for a year. He had no seizures the entire year he was off. He starts back to work and has had 2 seizures so his doctor told him he can't work right now. He has to do some more testing to figure out what's going on but his neurologist feels he has generalized seizure disorder... This is so scary to us and not knowing what his future holds.we don't even know if this is going to cause him to never work again. Not knowing what's causing these for certain just sickens me. All this right around holidays. We are exhausted by all of this. He is so depressed. We both don't know enough about the seizure - epilepsy world so trying to read and learn ... Any advice I would greatly appreciate!!

Land of The Free, Home of The Brave (USA)
    Violets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really niceViolets is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Bella38 View Post
    My husband was just diagnosed with generalized seizures. He fell at work and hit his head so hard he was out for 45 mins. He has been on Keppra since then for about a year . He finally started back to work after being off for a year. He had no seizures the entire year he was off. He starts back to work and has had 2 seizures so his doctor told him he can't work right now. He has to do some more testing to figure out what's going on but his neurologist feels he has generalized seizure disorder... This is so scary to us and not knowing what his future holds.we don't even know if this is going to cause him to never work again. Not knowing what's causing these for certain just sickens me. All this right around holidays. We are exhausted by all of this. He is so depressed. We both don't know enough about the seizure - epilepsy world so trying to read and learn ... Any advice I would greatly appreciate!!
    Did they ever find out what had caused it? I feel so bad for him, because I went through a similar thing on my lunch break from work. It was a shitty time in my life... it was only a coupe months ago. We also had to send our dog to the rainbow bridge 2 weeks after the seizure. Again, shittiest most depressing time ever and I am still recovering and dealing with the overwhelming fallout. I can understand why your husband is depressed. To have a condition like this, that can cause such a dramatic and traumatic injury ... well, that is majorly scary. There's no other way to put it. And to walk around being worried.. being an official person with a "condition".... being off of work feeling like you aren't fulfilling your purpose -- its A LOT. (then losing my dog shortly after this, it was hard not to give up).

When my recent one happened, I was in a parking lot, walking out of a shop on my break from work, to go back to my car and report back to the office. I fell out, apparently, which was very evident by my jacked up face and missing teeth. I am TALL. And I was wearing heels. So my fall was long and hard. And my face took the brunt of it. I literally landed on my face. I was out a long time... so long that the first thing I recall is asking the medic in the ambulance what happened, and where we were going. So, someone called and ambulance, someone stabilized me, etc...all of that normally takes at least 10 mins in a small town (travel time, assessing situation, stabilizing patient on scene). Unless the ambulance was close by (like 1 to 2 mins.. it could have been), I was out for a long time. Scariest thing is we still have no idea what caused it.

Now, for transparency -- I had a tramadol seizure a couple years ago but don't take it anymore. I procure it for others (friends without health insurance, because I always want to take care of others before myself.. its just my nature.. I should have been a damn nurse haha! But I wont' touch painkillers like that anymore, myself).

Anyway.... They think this was just a freak jolt of electrical activity that possibly stemmed from the irregular brain wave patterns which caused my prior seizure. Which is plausible. But very very scary. I almost got in my CAR ffs. God was watching over me that day. I've always been a believer but this, and then another incident during my dog's passing, made me absolutely CERTAIN there is something..someone up there watching over us..and everyday I am grateful for it.)

But to think I could just fall out at any time, regardless of the conditions, no matter how great I think I'm feeling and how healthy I think I am... is SCARY. So they put me on Keppra. It took some getting used to. I was VERY quick to anger when I first started it... VERY irritable... PMS time was THE WORST (as if it wasn't already horrible enough!). But that was just the first month... after that, I smoothed out, attitude wise. Now, to be fair, the fact that my dog passed right around the time I started taking Keppra, caused me to not be my normal, happy go lucky, super-positive self.

My best advice for Keppra is to take it at the same time everyday, don't mess with the dosage for any reason, and follow it with some food or smoothie or whatever.. just something to pad your stomach. Anything but grapefruit juice, that is.. because we all know what that does.

I hope your husband is doing better.. I know how debilitating and life-changing a seizure can be. Whether you brought it on yourself (like my first one) or had it happen for no good reason (the one I had recently) ... it doesn't matter -- you are prone to seizures and it has been made evident. Now you hahve to just control it. Keppra is a good one in my experience. Hopefully you find the same success and eventually, happiness.
    Likes Bella38, peppergirl liked this post

@ Violets...
    Thanks for response .. it’s been awhile since my last post about my husband and his seizureS.. since then his Dr switched his seizure med .. starts with an “L”.. not home to look at bottle right now and forget the name.. Anyways his Dr switched him because he had two more mild seizures. Since last August he hasn’t had any on this new med. the Dr also put him on anti depressant because he also got severely depressed and it one day he didn’t care if he lived or died so I immediately took him in to be seen.. he’s doing much better now. I feel like I have my husband back. I still am learning about this condition and the more I talk to people the more I’m finding out this is one condition you can’t necessarily control. The meds do help and offset them but there comes a point the med won’t work and you have to switch to a different one. Still to this day no one can tell us what happened that day and the Dr can’t tell if he had a seizure and fell or if he fell then had a seizure. He was knocked out for about 45 mins from what the guy who found him. He woke in the hospital.. he has no memory of anything prior to waking up in hospital. He also had to completely change careers because he lost his CDL due to this fall and having seizures. Although he is finally doing what he always wanted to do so There is one positive out of all of this.

My husband is a tramadol user .. been prescribed it for over 20 yrs. his Dr’s are pretty sure his tramadol use and having seizures are not related. Although I wish he could stop taking the tramadol. He hates to be and I hate knowing he’s actually addicted .. when first prescribed his Drs assured him this was not addictive and could stop taking at anytime with no problems.. Well that was a short lived dream.. here we are 20 yrs later and he’s still on it.

Anyways, thanks for responding . It’s nice to have someone to talk to about this condition .. I don’t have really anyone I can talk to who can relate so I try to find others on forums and such.
    Likes peppergirl liked this post

12. @Bella The man I live with and love is has been on 500mg of Keppra twice a day for a few years and it stopped his seizures. He decided to cut his am dose in half and take a whole dose 500mg in pm. After 4 weeks, he had a grand mal seizure that happened about 20 min after going to bed. Paramedics got to us about 15 min after I called & they told me to get a emergency dose of either, midazolam nasal spray or 20 mg valium rectal gel . We saw his doctor the next day and he asked for it and got a script for emergency rectal gel of 20 mg valium his co-pay was over $200. Pharmacist told me the nasal spray would have only been $15 and works just as good. Never change your dose of Keppra on your own and ask your doctor for a emergency 1 time dose of midazolam nasal spray. Any seizure over 15 min can cause death.
    Helpful sara22 Rated helpful

Thanks for the info ... no one has ever mentioned those two meds for backup Incase of grand mal seizure occurs lasting over 15mins. This is what frustrates me that no one will take the time to educate this condition thoroughly... it’s just here ya go you are epileptic and must take this medicine for the rest of your life or you will have a seizure... This is a serious condition to have from the way I look at it and seems there is just no support for this condition ... this effected our entire life- from him having to switch careers to making sure he watches out for triggers and sleeping habits. I learned all this by mostly reading whatever I could find online ...just frustrating !!!!
    Likes peppergirl liked this post

14. @Bella38 You are so right. During the last 4 yr, he had a 3 day hospital stay.Saw 2 Neurologists , 2 different primary care doctors and not one offered an emergency "midazolam nasal spray" (best choice) or 20 mg valium rectal gel to stop a seizure?? I had to ask for it. That's like a doctor who doesn't suggest an epi pen, to someone allergic to bee stings. It's sad, but we must do our own research.

@peppergirl .... where would you recommend to look on researching epilepsy? I have searched many websites but I don’t feel any of them really go in depth fully about epilepsy ... I just want don’t want to rely on what Dr.’s tell me and go on about life. Any suggestions??

16. @Bella38 I'll try to find the sites and forums that were the most helpful and post them. It'll be after this weekend. You could google them in the mean time. Epilepsy and seizures seem to go together. It's scary

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.