Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever tried to get off Fioricet??

1. @Insomniac94, it sounds like you tapered too quickly. if you taper that fast you have wd symptoms that make you want to take more. if you want to avoid rehab, you must get yourself on a taper, one pill at a time. go from 10 to 9, and try that for 2-3 weeks until you feel fine. then go down to 8 for 2-3 weeks. if you feel that's too much, just go down half a pill. the key to a successful taper is doing it slowly.

the downside to telling your doctor is having it in your chart and being labeled a drug-seeker. the upside is that they might give you something to ease the pain. but you already tapered once: you can do it again. fioricet has a double whammy with the barbiturate and the caffeine both addictive with withdrawal symptoms.

don't be so hard on yourself. slipping back is part of recovery. just take 9 or 9 and a half tomorrow. build up your confidence and determination. you can do it! hopefully the antidepressant will help you feel better.

LeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant future

@Insomniac94, welp this was what I experienced many years ago when I was taking 10 or more a day. I was in a highly stressful job and in a marriage that was falling apart, the pills made me feel numb. I didn't want to admit the fioricet was the problem but it was for sure a significant part of my need to feel numb. Keep in mind that butalbital is a CNS depressant. Also the butalbital interferes with sleep by limiting REMs so the sleep you do get is not really working. At times I would fall asleep at work with my eyes open. My speech started to slur and I just didn't care about a lot of things.

I had a host of other problems but in the end I crashed and burned and frankly the fioricet played a part in that. You really do not need to go to detox, But you might need some help monitoring how much you take. Only take one instead of two at once. Don't keep the bottle handy. Count out what you need for the week (4 to 6 a day)and have someone keep the rest till the next week. If that is not an option then take the rest and put them on the roof or somewhere hard to get to. You are risking a lot my friend. When you get control of it you will be in a much better place.
    That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger

3. @notcharlotte @LeeAnn
    Thank you so much for the encouragement. Things are pretty hard for me right now - holidays are always the worst plus the seasonal weather/daylight affects me. LeeAnn you listed like every issue I’m dealing with. Job is super stressful, kids, fighting with the husband. He knows about my addiction. I spend a lot of money on it and I’ve told him a million times ‘this is my last order’. He is supportive but in a pretty negative way if that makes sense. I know it’s just frustration on his part. He used to be into pretty heavy drugs as a teenager. I have never had an addictive personality until this Fioricet has gotten a hold of me. Never smoked, not a huge drinker. I am a huge advocate for MJ but am potentially looking to switch jobs so I can’t do much with that right now, even something high CBD with a dash of THC will test + on a drug test. I like the idea of just going slower and thanks for saying it’s ok to slip up. I need to get into some kind of talk therapy, I think that could help. I tend to end up alone in my own head and feelings and that’s where the guilt and self-confidence issues pop up. Do you guys know if that would still affect my record and flag me as a drug seeker?

LeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant futureLeeAnn has a brilliant future

Any kind of talk therapy group you got into would be confidential and not on your record. I don't know where you are but some of the NA groups (the drug groups which are equivalent to AA) can be helpful for getting off meds. You are liable to run into some real hard core users there though. But they are also free.

You said you had a psychiatrist, I would mention to her or him that you are concerned about how much headache medication you are taking and ask for a group recommendation from them. If you are near a big university, see if their graduate programs offer addictions programs. Their psychiatric residents or graduate students usually run pretty decent groups. Holidays were and still are very hard for me also. Take all the things you think you have to do and chop that list in half.
    Helpful calgal99, Insomniac94, Mrs Parker Rated helpful
    Likes Bawston, ludwig1961 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
    Any kind of talk therapy group you got into would be confidential and not on your record. I don't know where you are but some of the NA groups (the drug groups which are equivalent to AA) can be helpful for getting off meds. You are liable to run into some real hard core users there though. But they are also free.

You said you had a psychiatrist, I would mention to her or him that you are concerned about how much headache medication you are taking and ask for a group recommendation from them. If you are near a big university, see if their graduate programs offer addictions programs. Their psychiatric residents or graduate students usually run pretty decent groups. Holidays were and still are very hard for me also. Take all the things you think you have to do and chop that list in half.
    @LeeAnn
    Soma, generic name Carisoprodol, is metabolized into meprobamate. So the old brand Equanil, Miltown, etc., which you rightly said is impossible to find, is replaceable with Soma. In its first pass, your body converts it into the exact same compound.

PS: I quoted the wrong post, but earlier in the thread, you had mentioned that meprobamate was helpful for you, so I thought this info might be useful.
    Likes LeeAnn liked this post
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Thank you, now I know why I like Soma.
    Likes M77, Mrs Parker liked this post

ludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the rough

I ran across an AA meeting online, and a NA too. Google it and check those meetings out. I hope they help.
    Likes M77 liked this post

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute
    Bawston has a reputation beyond repute
    @Insomniac94...if you feel that you’d benefit from talk therapy then by all means you should try it. Just a caution though because I did that some years ago assuming that what I said was confidential. What I didn’t realize or notice was that at the beginning of working with this person I had signed a bunch of papers...you know the usual - insurance, billing, etc.

I’m not even sure how it came up but the therapist mentioned something about how she would discuss something with my primary doctor. I just stopped her and said, I thought this was between the 2 of us. She told me that in all that initial paperwork I’d authorized her to share info with my primary. I told her I definitely did NOT want that and asked her to change that paperwork. Believe it or not she was reluctant and said...well you signed it. I told her in no uncertain terms that I was rescinding that authorization and expected her to honor my wishes. This would have been a problem since I’d not only voiced some concerns about this primary doc but was also buying fioricet online (although I hadn’t gone into details on that but it could have been figured out). I dumped that therapist right after ripping up the authorization.

So just be sure you haven’t authorized sharing your info.

9. @Bawston
    Thanks, that’s good to know and I certainly will pay attention on that.
    @ludwig1961
    The AA and NA I looked into. I’m not religious and those 2 have a religious focus, not sure if those would be good for me. I know they help so many people from what I’ve started to read about all of this. There are neutral programs too, just few and far between.
    Likes M77 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac94 View Post
    @Bawston
    Thanks, that’s good to know and I certainly will pay attention on that.
    @ludwig1961
    The AA and NA I looked into. I’m not religious and those 2 have a religious focus, not sure if those would be good for me. I know they help so many people from what I’ve started to read about all of this. There are neutral programs too, just few and far between.
    @Insomniac94
    I can’t give you first hand information, but I have read a lot about these groups. There isn’t actually a specific religious focus in these programs, but I believe you are supposed to have a higher power to refer to. I am pretty sure that you can substitute whatever works for you. For example, maybe you aren’t religious, but you believe in “Mother Nature.” I don’t think think you would have a problem finding something that would work. Maybe someone else on here can be more specific, I wish I could, but these programs do work.
    Last edited by M77; 1 Week Ago at 10:52 PM.
    Helpful Insomniac94, Mrs Parker Rated helpful
    Likes ludwig1961 liked this post
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

@Brawston is right about the confidential problem. One can be labeled a drug seeker by doctors or a hospital and then you are stuck with it. I was thinking about being labeled a drug seeker or something that would flag your medical record, which is increasing involving all doctors and visits. I am still waiting for the insert put into my arm with my medical history on it and with a GPS tracker.

I don't think it would happen very often in in a group setting, don't sign papers unless your read them. But do know that anyone in any kind of helping profession is required by law to report or notify someone if they consider you are at risk at harming your self or of harming someone else. When and if that happens your next 48 hours are going to be full of thrills.

Groups can be quite funny (weird not ha ha funny) , depending on the goals and the personality of the person running it. Some are great and some are toxic.

Shame is just about the most destructive emotion, if self blame and guilt have become a mantra do whatever you can get to let it go.

AA and NA are successful for many reasons. Yes there is a faith based element in the overall program and different groups work differently for different people. But one can interpret faith in a high power as faith in the power of oneself to overcome the issue. I have seen also that the sponsorship program from an other member is quite valuable to many.
    Last edited by LeeAnn; 1 Week Ago at 05:20 PM.
    Helpful Insomniac94, Bawston, Mrs Parker, M77 Rated helpful

The serenity prayer usually said at the end AA meetings.

God, grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.
    Helpful Insomniac94, M77 Rated helpful
    Likes Mrs Parker liked this post

13. Thanks everyone for all the great advice and info. I don’t know how I did it but tomorrow is Friday and because I am not placing an order I had 25 pills to last me this whole week. I was taking 10-12 and I am down to 5-6. Already feel better, I can tell the difference. Had a bad few days and of course did not sleep, shakes, no appetite, extreme anxiety. Taking Xanax to help and vitamins. Also I started the antidepressant so maybe that is making this so mild. I filled my regular Rx from my which is 20 and that’s it. I am wondering what will happen at the end of this run. Can I taper with 20 and be ok? I don’t want to bring this up with the doc unless I absolutely have to.
    Likes Bawston, Mrs Parker, M77 liked this post

It sounds like you have been able to move to more productive path. I know its kind of scary but what is the worst that could happen. It's not like you are sitting an alley somewhere with a needle and a spoon, but that does not diminish what you have done for yourself Pat your self on the back. You should be proud of yourself, I know I am.

Physically you should have no difficulty cutting back to a total of 20, especially if as you said you have some other aids. You are going to feel so much better emotionally and physically, it will be worth any temporary discomfort. But if it happens that cutting that far back is not possible don't beat your self up. One can liken it to someone who is very heavy and on a strict diet who lapses and has a piece of cake. He can either say oops, I ggofed, no more cake, or he can take the path where he is disgusted for blowing the diet and winds up eating the whole cake. I hope that makes sense.
    Helpful Insomniac94, Mrs Parker, M77 Rated helpful

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute
    @Insomniac94...congratulations, it sure sounds like you are determined and powering through this. It sure isn’t easy but so much is mental attitude. I can certainly understand you not wanting to bring this up with your doctor. We never know what they are putting in their notes that is carried in your record as @LeeAnn mentioned. Although my situation was different, I was shocked at some things that had been in my medical records - doctors make observations and comments all the time that don’t show up in the doctor notes or summaries that you’re given yet they are there. I only found out back years ago when I requested printed hard copies of all my medical records. BTW, there were also a good number of flat out errors.

Sounds like you’ve been through a rough time. The only thing that you should be aware of with a fast taper of this is the potential for seizure although if you already reduced by that much you probably won’t. Keep us up to date.
    Helpful Insomniac94, Mrs Parker, M77 Rated helpful

16. @Bawston
    Ok that makes chuckle because it makes me think of Seinfeld when Elaine wants her chart and Kramer goes to get it wearing a scarf and a pipe posing as a doctor. For real though, that must have been hard to see things that you weren’t expecting. When we go to a doctor we put our trust them and hope there is no judgement given and my goodness how scary about the false information!
    @LeeAnn
    That is a terrific analogy. It does make total sense.
    I can’t thank everyone enough for all the support here. Yesterday was a terrible day. I had to call out from work and it has been a long time since I’ve had a headache so awful. It was to the point I couldn’t see straight. I felt like I had the flu. I am assuming it’s withdrawal symptoms from all I read about withdrawal - as you stabilize from the higher doses as you go down you will have symptoms? I have never ever ever ever had to deal with anything like this. It’s so crazy. My husband was on super bad stuff as a teenager and he just one day decided to stop all his drug use. Went through withdrawal on his own and suffered hard core for a week. He keeps saying I just need to stop taking this and I will be fine and I tell him he needs to read up on it.
    Likes LeeAnn, M77 liked this post

@Insomniac94...the butalbital is probably the hardest to deal with but you also have caffeine in the fioricet which is there because they realized that caffeine can help fight migraine but also kick up the butalbital a notch. The Tylenol...eh... Some people have been helped by dropping down on the fioricet quantity but making up the difference by adding an equivalent of Tylenol and some caffeine. If you figure out the total Tylenol in the quantity of fioricet you’ve taken, then take the equivalent in over the counter Tylenol, then you’re only dealing with withdrawal from the butalbital (which is no joke as you’re finding out).

All that being said though, if you started taking the fioricet for migraine, coming off it might help if you’re getting rebound but whatever the cause of your original migraines is probably still going to be there. Not sure when you started but there are some advances since when I started such as Botox injections and the new Aimovig. Has helped but to eliminated mine. My sister and niece have both been on Aimovig for over a year and it’s helped them both.
    Last edited by Bawston; 4 Days Ago at 12:37 PM.
    Likes LeeAnn liked this post

There is no need to suffer from that kind of headache. That is not the result of withdrawal. If your vision is affected it is most likely a vascular headache. Excedrin has the same amount of caffeine and Tylenol as fioricet does. Fioricet works best for muscle tension headaches... There are a variety of meds for migraines.
    Helpful Insomniac94, M77 Rated helpful

19. @Bawston I have added a Tylenol but also what seems to help more is ibuprofen. I do actually take a very small dose of Topamax. Very small. Once I get past this I am going to increase that a bit with my Neuro. Many many years ago before Fioricet, I had taken everything in the book for rescue and I was on Topamax at higher doses which made me a complete zombie so I went way down on the dose. What is Aimovig? I haven’t heard of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    @Insomniac94...the butalbital is probably the hardest to deal with but you also have caffeine in the fioricet which is there because they realized that caffeine can help fight migraine but also kick up the butalbital a notch. The Tylenol...eh... Some people have been helped by dropping down on the fioricet quantity but making up the difference by adding an equivalent of Tylenol and some caffeine. If you figure out the total Tylenol in the quantity of fioricet you’ve taken, then take the equivalent in over the counter Tylenol, then you’re only dealing with withdrawal from the butalbital (which is no joke as you’re finding out).

All that being said though, if you started taking the fioricet for migraine, coming off it might help if you’re getting rebound but whatever the cause of your original migraines is probably still going to be there. Not sure when you started but there are some advances since when I started such as Botox injections and the new Aimovig. boot. Has helped but to eliminated mine. My sister and. Ie e have both been on Aimovig for over a year and it’s helped them both.
    Likes Bawston liked this post

20. @LeeAnn This weekend we had a high pressure front come through and that’s always a killer for me. Sometimes even the Fioricet doesn’t help. It’s more sinuses and ocular like you mentioned. I need to grab some Excedrin today to help with this week. I took 2 yesterday. TWO! I feel damn good this morning. I see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! You know what I find interesting is the fact I am feeling good but still have the inclination to walk over to my pocketbook to grab a pill. Amazing what these substances can do to our minds. Instead of going to my pocketbook like I have thousands of times, I am finding other physical distractions like cleaning, organizing, laundry, etc. while I’m home today. Next week I am traveling for work and I have an insanely busy schedule so that will actually be good for distraction! This experience is truly is one day, one hour, one minute at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
    There is no need to suffer from that kind of headache. That is not the result of withdrawal. If your vision is affected it is most likely a vascular headache. Excedrin has the same amount of caffeine and Tylenol as fioricet does. Fioricet works best for muscle tension headaches... There are a variety of meds for migraines.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast