Thread: Anyone ever tried to get off Fioricet??

1. Default Anyone ever tried to get off Fioricet??

I’ve been ordering and taking generic Fioricet for 6-7 years. ~10 per day off and on. Ready to stop as main pharmacy source has pulled orders and isn’t taking any more for now. Any advice or experiences you can share would be great. I see mostly Tram and Benzos regarding taper and withdrawals on the forum. I’ve read on the internet that some say it’s advised to go to detox but others say just go slow over several weeks. Thanks so much. I have started the taper and am down to 6 per day after 2 weeks.... thanks.
    Helpful Bawston Rated helpful

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

I think many of us are in the same boat as you and wondering about when that source will be back up and running. I think you're on the right track with using the tapering method. Unfortunately some people can have seizures from abrupt fioricet withdrawal because of the butalbital. I did that myself a while back and made the mistake of saying, oh just today, I'll have an extra and before you know it, I was back to my old dose. I've also read that you can substitute a plain Tylenol in there when you'd be reaching for a fioricet because at least you're getting some of the combination...that an some caffeine like a Coke or coffee.

I have had a successful taper with another med I'm on by sliding one dose at a time up by an hour until it feels comfortable, then sliding it again until it's time for the next dose.
    Helpful Insomniac94 Rated helpful

4. @Bawston Yes that scares me so much. I’m just taking it slow - I’m so tired of worrying about if/when my orders will arrive, paying the money. This med is not commonly talked about in a dependency sense, at least that I can find. It’s all opiates and benzos. Anything opiates makes me so sick so that’s never been an issue and Xanax is something I’ve always had on hand - taken by the book. Thanks for the tips!
    Likes Bawston liked this post

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

@Insomniac94... it's the butalbital that's the real issue and since that class of drugs is almost never prescribed now, it's not often mentioned. I think about the only common use is fioricet for migraines and some doctors won't prescribe it at all. When they talked about reclassifying it a couple years ago I thought we were done but somehow they slipped it through and exempted it. I wish you the best with the taper - let us know how it goes.
    Helpful Insomniac94 Rated helpful

6. @Bawston That’s a great point. I will def keep updating— this forum has been very helpful over the years. No doubt it will continue to be, just hoping to utilize it from a different perspective.

LeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud of

I just read an article about withdrawal from butalbital. Its in JAMA so its quite respectable and written for doctors..

://jamanetwork dot com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/786106 .. of course change the word dot back to a period and add https at the beginning

I have been taking it all my life since I was 14 and at one point was really taking a lot like the patient in this article. You also risk serious damage to your liver from the APAP but now I never take more than 4 per day. But I intend to keep taking it.
    Helpful Insomniac94, Bawston Rated helpful
    That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger

8. @LeeAnn Ok that is some scary stuff there. I assume that was a cold turkey situation because it said ‘abrupt discontinuation’. Either way, oh my goodness. Did you have issues getting down to that 4 along the way? Any symptoms?

LeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud ofLeeAnn has much to be proud of

No I may have increased the benzo intake slightly for a week or so. I was such a mess when taking so much I was more normal than usual when coming off and I did so abruptly since I had ended up in the hospital for another reason. From what I understand when one sleeps while taking barbituates, its like alcoholic sleep, with little or no REM so one stays sleepy for the most part. I never had a seizure but did have memory loss and was clumsy and sometimes short tempered at times. And my head always hurt anyhow. For me it was much more of a psychological withdrawal than anything physical.

Its kind of funny really, Way back then before the internet they were so hard to get, I was doctor shopping to get them and would eat them like candy when I could. Now that I can get unlimited amounts I just take a few when I really need them. To me that says something significant ( not quite sure what though) about prohibition and addiction.

Just like most things in life , moderation is the way to go.
    Helpful Insomniac94, Bawston, bluu Rated helpful

On a more current note, since I believe in being prepared for unexpected shortages or federal temper tantrums and I also wanted to avoid a C and S linked site, I did a google search and placed a COD order with "orderfioricet", filled out the form, and got the standard response of
    Your Order has been Received!
    Important: You will receive an Email Confirmation etc.
    Well it's been 4 days and no e-mail confirmation. But I did get an e-mail from Steve with 12 different sites listed (many with DNS restrictions) so I guess they have the market cornered. Choices are limited, but I will for sure count them.
    Helpful Insomniac94, Bawston Rated helpful
    Likes JonathonKeith liked this post

11. @LeeAnn totally agree on the prohibition argument. I personally think all drugs should be legalized and scientifically controlled. It’s like rebellion in teenagers. Tell someone not to do it, and they sure will!!!

12. @LeeAnn @Bawston Update: I am down to 3 per day right now. I have been quite spacey, cranky and have had several panicked moments from anxiety. And feeling very nauseous at the moment. I am sticking with this, though. I think I’m going to stay at 3 for a bit, maybe even 4. Over the last week and a half, the six to three may have been too big a jump. It’s been almost a month since I started tapering. Good news is, I have not ordered any. Bad news is, I don’t have enough left to continue tapering without ordering and can’t cold turkey this. I have always done orders of 120 - are there smaller quantities?
    Helpful Bawston Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac94 View Post
    @LeeAnn @Bawston Update: I am down to 3 per day right now. I have been quite spacey, cranky and have had several panicked moments from anxiety. And feeling very nauseous at the moment. I am sticking with this, though. I think I’m going to stay at 3 for a bit, maybe even 4. Over the last week and a half, the six to three may have been too big a jump. It’s been almost a month since I started tapering. Good news is, I have not ordered any. Bad news is, I don’t have enough left to continue tapering without ordering and can’t cold turkey this. I have always done orders of 120 - are there smaller quantities?
    @Insomniac94...you're doing great! But having tapered before, I'd agree with you that it might have been a big jump to halve your dose in such a short time. I think you might be able to order 60 or 90 - I know I used to order 90 when I started with a new vendor. I think the problem with too quick a taper is that you're in such distress that it's too tempting to jump back up. One thing I've tried is cutting the pills in half so you're at least getting some. Just careful because of course you will get the craving sooner of course. Just try sliding the next dose by a half hour to an hour...

Don't give up
    Likes Insomniac94 liked this post

Tapering is an appropriate way to go. Try decreasing by 1 or 2 each day. It appears that the main side effect is a blinding headache. Good luck!

15. what is Fioricet like? how does it feel & how come Diazepam/Carisprodol wouldn't work for you?

@JonathonKeith,

Fioricet consists of 40 mg of butalbital ( a barbiturate sedative which relaxes the muscles in ones head, it also has 50mg of caffeine ( which helps with constricted blood vessels in the head which cause headaches) and 325 mgs of acetaminophen . I have been taking it since I was a teenager and it was prescribed for chronic tension headaches. It is called fiorinal if it contains aspirin instead of acetaminophen. Fiorinal can also contain codeine but personally that makes me sick

Because of spasms in my neck and head I wake every day with a headache. 2 cups of coffee and a really hot shower pounding on my neck will help sometimes. My doctor said the muscles in my neck and shoulder feel like wood and yes I have had massage and even PT to try to help. Diazepam/Carisprodol do not work for this kind of headache. In fact Bensos tend to give me a headache (I have no idea why) Fioricet is really not good for anything other than headaches because of the vascular component in headaches.. Initially one tablet will tend to make one sleepy but this effect wears off as with everything else. At times the headaches develop in the afternoon in the form of what we used to call in my family as an eye headache

The only med that I have ever had come close to the same relief was Meprobromate, which is an old tranquilizer used before bensos were developed. But it was not reliable and now impossible to find. Because of the acetaminophen in them it is not safe to take more than 6 per day but people do get used to the barbiturate and caffeine and need more. Then they begin to get into trouble with the med. For technical reasons, It is currently not scheduled but fiorinal is.

Oddly enough the over use of acetaminophen can lead to something called a rebound headache caused by using it.

There is a big difference between various headaches. Migraines are vascular cause by restricting the veins and tension headaches are cause by muscle spasms in the muscles in the head. Then there are the mysterious cluster headaches which are a real nightmare if one has them. Your suggestion of carisprodol is a good one and I have to say when I have been working in the yard , I can almost count on muscle spasms and so I take a Soma before bed and hope it helps.

I have been studying this for most of my life and still am confused by it myself so I do understand why it can baffle most people.

17. I have still been ordering - I’m usually taking the directed amount except on a really bad headache day and I have to take a couple more like before I go to bed. It’s much less than what I was taking 3 months ago so that’s a good thing. Still trying to get there. I wish we had legal MJ in my state!!!!!

18. Anyone ever tried to get off Fioricet??