Thread: Withdrawal/Tapering off from benzos

Withnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the rough

Default Withdrawal/Tapering off from benzos

Hi all, just checking in so say that I hope you are all enjoying the summer (what’s left of it)
    Unfortunately my plan to taper off Ben-zos didn’t go to plan, there’s still too much stress in my life and I don’t think this is the right time to begin a withdrawal.

Then again, I do realise that I’m never going to have a stress free life and will have to take the plunge at some point.
    I would be very interested to hear anyone else’s withdrawal experience as it may give me the courage to begin the process again.

Thank all.
    Helpful pinkflower Rated helpful

2. Im sorry i dont have any easy answers for you. You have to be motivated to quit. There have been a couple times in my life where i was able to inadvertently flip a switch in my head, allowing to say "thats it, im done", and it actually stuck. Once with tramadol (17yrs old, 2.5 yrs of 300-400mg daily (it was different back then lol)), and once with oxycontin.
    Im currently battling my klonopin addiction too (battling as in trying to not eat them like candy) and I've found gabapentin to be a big help. Its scheduled too, but it allows me to skip a day here and there. Even though the clonazepam is still in my system after a day or two break, it makes me feel a little better about the whole thing.
    Really just tapering as slowly as possible so that you stay mostly comfortable is key. You didnt mention many details about the length of your use, daily dose, or benzo of choice, but generally you want a benzo with a longer half life to taper with.
    Before my long term klonopin addiction, a mere 20mg of alprazolam used over a 2.5 week period gave me very uncomfortable WD for about 48 hrs. No sleep at all, i was working the whole time... blah.
    I wish you the best.

ludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the rough

@Withnail Try to be easy on your self. It will not happen overnight. Try to taper really, really slow. Even if it's a quarter of a mg, don't miss it just because it is small. Just hang in there and slow your roll.

snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    @Withnail, If you type "Opiate Withdrawl" into the search bar, there are a ton of threads with some great tips from members about how to make withdrawl easier and safer.
    I've seen some threads saying how horrible withdrawls are, but I've also seen where some members say it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be.
    Good luck!

Withnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the roughWithnail is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice and support.
    I've been taking between 10mg - 20mg of Apau-rine (usually 10mg daily) for about 6 -7 years, perhaps longer.
    10mg every morning and then on a bad day another 5mg or 10mg as needed in the evening or before bed.
    Likes pinkflower, dinger liked this post

Pothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to beholdPothead is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Withnail View Post
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice and support.
    I've been taking between 10mg - 20mg of Apau-rine (usually 10mg daily) for about 6 -7 years, perhaps longer.
    10mg every morning and then on a bad day another 5mg or 10mg as needed in the evening or before bed.
    I’ve gone through brutal benzo withdrawal. I had seizures, an ambulance ride, and ER visits. Here are a few takes:

1. I wish I would have tapered. I made the mistake of going cold turkey, which was very stupid and could have killed me.

2. I wish I would have talked to a doctor before I started my withdrawal. I assumed the doctor wouldn’t have helped me because I was taking unprescribed meds. I wish I would have at least tried. Many people I’ve talked to after the fact told me that a doctor would have written me scrips for meds to help me taper, such as Librium, klonidine, beta-blockers, gabapentin, etc.

3. Again I wish I would have acquired meds (on my own) that would have helped me taper, such as Ambien and Librium. I believe that would have helped immensely.

Apologies to the Admins for posting this in the wrong forum, thanks for moving it.

petenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    petenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    @Withnail You have received some pretty good information and motivation. For me once I got past the physiological "mind F*C*" the pills gave me it was not as hard to stop.

All I can add is that you will not be sorry and any discomfort during the process is well worth the effort. I can't stress the taper part enough.

Do it for the right reasons and you will have success. Good luck.
    Last edited by petenyc; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:27 AM.
    Likes dinger, Danie liked this post
    A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life - Unknown

dearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to beholddearie23 is a splendid one to behold

At one stage in early 2017, I was on about 2mg of alprazolam each night (and sometimes alternating that with 20mg of diazepam), and my tolerance was growing so quickly so I knew I had to taper down. I slowly, over about 6-12 weeks, cut alprazolam out entirely, with major help from diazepam.

I can't quite remember specifics of my dose adjustments / tapering as it was 2.5 years ago, but it was something like this...

I went down to 1.5mg of alps but added 15mg of diaz to fill the hole left by the alps. Didn't really feel any difference, thankfully.

Then I went down to 1.25mg of alps and stayed at 15mg of diaz. Then 1mg of alps and still 15mg of diaz. Each dose reduction was held stable for about a week I think, except for the 1mg of alps and 15mg diaz. That was held for 2-3 weeks I seem to recall.

Then I dropped to 0.5mg of alps and still 15mg of diaz, and then I started lowering the diaz to 10mg.

After a week or so, I went down to 0.25mg of alps and still 10mg of diaz. That part was fairly brief (a week maybe) and for a while I kept up the 10mg of diaz.

Once all the alps were gone I remember feeling a bit like I was jumping off a cliff and was a bit nervous, but I really don't think I felt anything. I didn't miss the alps by then. Actually, the only time I DID miss it was BEFORE I even started tapering. I missed it while I was still on the max dose I ever took, because I missed feeling it. The tolerance took it away from me before my own tapering did.

Anyway, then I went down to 8mg of diaz (by this time, I had 2mg pills so just used those to taper, and I had added 12mg of the antihistamine Doxylamine, because I had been sleeping so well on the alps and diaz and I didn't want to go back to my standard lifelong insomnia, so I tried this harm minimisation method of still being able to sleep but without sleeping pills or benzos. It still works without having to increase that dose).

So I then went down to 6mg...then 4mg...then I was about to go down to 2mg as I didn't feel the need to take anything anymore. But then a severe trauma happened, and I shot straight back up to 10mg to cope. It didn't really help much, but...meh. I gave up on my taper for the time being.

This is when I started trying all different sorts of benzos, just to see if I could find one that would actually make me feel better.

After a while of trying many that did nothing, I settled on 1mg of clonazepam, mixed with my existing 10mg of diaz, plus 1mg of etizolam (and my 12mg Doxylamine). Every night.

Eventually, taking all 4 meds honestly didn't feel any different to taking just 1 or 2. I would sometimes up the dose of something just to try and feel something. But nope. Tolerance.

So fast forward to about a year ago. I was taking 2mg of kpins, 5mg of diaz and my 12mg of Doxylamine, and then all the stuff with certain vendors disappearing happened and I lost my reliable online sources so I started conserving the diaz by alternating them with an etiz every other night.

I came to notice that I felt no difference whether I took the diaz or the etiz and I was going many days without taking any diaz at all. So I just stopped and totally switched to the 1mg of etiz a night instead.

I felt like it wasn't really doing anything so after about a month, I tapered off the etiz. I cut my tiny pills in half. Didn't notice anything apart from SLIGHT extra anxiety for a few hours one night. I did the half etiz thing for maybe 2 weeks.

So then I cut the half pill in half and did the quarter etiz thing for another week. Then nothing. I noticed not a single thing.

I was still taking 2mg of kpins and 12mg of Doxylamine, and I still am to this day.

I am able to sleep due to the Doxylamine, and the kpins help just a small amount (tolerance) with my appetite (low due to chronic anxiety) and the almost always present feelings of doom and darkness / foreboding and dread / fear.

I have come to accept that I can never really benefit fully from any benzos again, as my tolerance seems to be permanent, to all benzos and at a wide variety of doses.

So...yep.

10. I quit Klonopin after 8 years of use after a 4 month long taper. It's been just over 9 months since my last dose now and I'm still having significant negative effects.
    I don't want to discourage you from getting off, but I would recommend tapering very slowly.
    Some people have a pretty easy time getting off benzos while others have lasting issues.
    I think those of us that have long term issues, it could be caused by the benzo withdrawal messing with our immune system. I've had some autoimmune issues since benzo withdrawal that I'd never had prior and I believe that I'm still having issues now because of the effects of these autoimmune complications.
    I think a slower taper may have been able to prevent these complications, but I can't be totally sure.
    I know it's really scary, but you can do it.
    Start your taper whenever you feel ready.
    Don't feel rushed. Do your research, make a plan and go into it prepared.
    Helpful M77 Rated helpful
    Likes Roz liked this post

Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Agree with @Pothead
    Especially about the Librium and that there are doctors who will help. the trick is finding them.
    They used to have a section on the Forum here about benzo taper friendly doctors in various States at one time.
    Not sure if it's still here though.
    Helpful Gullible, M77 Rated helpful

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.