Thread: Is exercise the answer ?

Default Is exercise the answer ?

Hi all, I am now at nearly at a dead end here I have 42 days of my current dose of diazepam & no way of getting more which may be a blessing in disguise, this is not good but I want to be benzo free but would rather do it as a taper but hey ho, its been a good 18yrs I have been dependent on them or alcohol although not had a drink for 5 years, anyway I am hoping to substitute the benzo's with exercise ie running or going to the gym as there is no other alternative, dont get me wrong I function at home my safe haven but do not wish to go out and mix with others lol
    Likes pinkflower, M77, bluebell, temmuz liked this post

petenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    petenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
    I am hoping to substitute the benzo's with exercise ie running or going to the gym as there is no other alternative,
    There are plenty of alternatives, some better than others....For me the gym has worked wonders. Besides the obvious heath benefits which are too many to list, it has taken given me a better "feel" for my body in terms of the issues I was having. It will also help fight WD symptoms (for me it did).

Not going to preach about it but give it a try for at least 2 weeks of consistently going. Work out smart, start slow if its been a while and stretch as well.

Good luck
    Helpful pinkflower, djrick, bluebell Rated helpful
    Likes kevlar, M77, temmuz liked this post
    A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life - Unknown

I joined a gym about six months ago. It is the best thing I have ever done. I feel like a totally different person. I am in my mid fifties. It helps me with anxiety.
    Helpful pinkflower, djrick, M77, bluebell Rated helpful
    Likes petenyc, jaders, kevlar, temmuz, 4family4 liked this post

BingBong has a spectacular aura aboutBingBong has a spectacular aura aboutBingBong has a spectacular aura aboutBingBong has a spectacular aura aboutBingBong has a spectacular aura aboutBingBong has a spectacular aura aboutBingBong has a spectacular aura about

Hi all, I am now at nearly at a dead end here I have 42 days of my current dose of diazepam & no way of getting more which may be a blessing in disguise, this is not good but I want to be benzo free but would rather do it as a taper but hey ho, its been a good 18yrs I have been dependent on them or alcohol although not had a drink for 5 years, anyway I am hoping to substitute the benzo's with exercise ie running or going to the gym as there is no other alternative, dont get me wrong I function at home my safe haven but do not wish to go out and mix with others lol
    You don't say what your current dose is, but unless it's under 15mg / day I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey. The withdrawal can not only be hell but actually life threatening (again dependant on dose).

The good news is with 42 days of your current dose left then you have enough meds to taper your use as you wanted and reduce the severity of any withdrawal. Do some math and work out a reduction over the next 3 months+ that will get you to where you want to be. The sooner you start the more meds to taper with.

Absolutely go to the gym too, just be clever with your remaining supply and taper to minimise harm and withdrawal symptoms.

I wish you luck.
    Last edited by BingBong; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Likes jaders, djrick, kevlar liked this post

SoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant future

@kevlar Congrats on your intentions of weaning off diazepam. Even the decision is not easy to make, let alone seeing it through !

Exercise can be part of the equation.

Here is some info I gathered:

From American Detox Centers :
    Healthy amounts of exercise can help the brain to release endorphins and thus positively restore chemical balance. Exercise can also reduce tension and stress, and help a person to sleep better while enhancing self-esteem. Studies published by the journal Frontiers in Psychology show that exercise can help to minimize relapse and decrease compulsive drug use and cravings, therefore aiding in recovery. Going for a walk or run and engaging in aerobic activity can improve physical health, which can, in turn, enhance mental health and stability during withdrawal.

From Smarmore Castle Clinic :
    Should You Exercise During Withdrawal?
    Detox is not pleasant. Depending on what you’re quitting and how long you used, you might have headaches, irritability, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, aches, tremors, hallucinations, or seizures, and insomnia. Still, if you feel up to it, a bit of physical activity might help you feel better.

Studies have shown that people who have quit smoking suffer less from withdrawal symptoms and cravings when they exercise. It didn’t even take very much exercise to have an effect. Some studies showed that even 10 minutes of moderate exercise was enough to reduce cravings. Another study, this one on rats, found that exercise during meth withdrawal may help prevent relapse.

You may not be trying to quit smoking, but the effects that make exercise effective against tobacco cravings can work for other drugs as well. For example, exercise boosts endorphins, which make you feel less bad by activating the same receptors that opioid drugs exploit to make you feel good. The effect isn’t nearly as strong, so don’t expect a 10-minute jog to obliterate your withdrawal symptoms, but it might make them more tolerable.

Exercise also helps you sleep better. Insomnia is a common symptom of withdrawal from many drugs. Lying in bed all day makes falling asleep at night even harder. If you can get up and move around even a little bit, you’ll sleep better at night. That can help you recover faster and feel better.

(...)

Finally, exercise is a good distraction. A little activity is the perfect thing if you feel anxious, restless, or irritable. It can distract you from your cravings and minor to moderate aches. If there is someone you can exercise with, having someone to talk to can distract you even more and the social contact might make you feel a little better too.

Comment from SoTired: If you can't find anyone to exercise with you, talk to @mymesh and @petenyc. They know what you're going through and they might be able to boost your will to "move it" when you feel lazy.

Not everyone will feel able to exercise during detox, and not everyone should. Many people experience high blood pressure, elevated or erratic heartbeat, and dizziness during detox. If your withdrawal symptoms make it dangerous for your to go for a walk or do other light exercise, it’s better to skip it. You should ask your doctor whether exercise is safe for you.

I think that @BingBong also presented important information. See if the following information can be of help to you.

From Clinical Psychiatry News :
    Before starting a tapering plan, inform the patient about the risks of withdrawal.3 Abrupt reductions from high-dose benzodiazepines can result in seizures, psychotic reactions, and agitation.1-3 Understanding the tapering regimen enhances compliance and outcomes. Stress the importance of careful adherence and provide close psychosocial monitoring and fail-safe means for patient contact if someone is experiencing difficulties. Supportive psychotherapy improves the prognosis.4 On a clinical basis, additional, adjunctive, symptomatic, or other medications may be required for safe illness management.

Managing comorbid medical conditions and psychopathologies—including addressing other substances of abuse—is important.1-4 Tapering one or more substances at a time—even nicotine—is not advised. Refer patients to a self-help group or substance abuse rehabilitation program.

Slow tapering is safer and better tolerated than more abrupt techniques.1-5 If the patient experiences overt clinical signs of withdrawal, such as tachycardia or other hyperadrenergia during dosage reduction, maintain the previous dosage until the next tapering date.

For persons who take a short-acting benzodiazepine—eg, alprazolam or lorazepam—convert the dosage into an equivalent dosage of a long-acting benzodiazepine—eg, diazepam.1,2 Metabolized slowly, with a long half-life, diazepam allows a consistent, slow decline in concentration while tapering the dosage. This helps avoid severe withdrawal.1-5 For patients who have been taking alprazolam or clonazepam, 1 mg, the equivalent diazepam dosage would be 20 mg; for temazepam, 30 mg, the diazepam dosage would be 15 mg; for lorazepam, 1 mg, oxazepam, 20 mg, or chlordiazepoxide, 25 mg, the diazepam dosage would be 10 mg.1,2

Prescribe the to-be-tapered benzodiazepine at five-sixths of that dose and prescribe one-sixth of the diazepam amount daily. Proceed with tapering
    every 1 to 2 weeks by a one-sixth dose reduction of the tapered medication and a one-sixth increase in diazepam. Continue until diazepam is used alone and well-tolerated.

Once the patient is taking only diazepam, decrease the dosage by 2 mg every 2 weeks until the patient is doing well on a relatively small dosage of diazepam.1,2 Subsequent diazepam reductions are at 1 mg less every 1 to 2 weeks, until the patient is able to completely discontinue the medication.

I wish you success!

Take care,

ST
    Some perfume always lingers on the hand that offers flowers.

@SoTired
    You beat me to it! As I was reading the thread, I was going to post about the endorphins, etc., and caution about tapering too fast. Great post!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    @kevlar, I know this is a late reply to your OP, but I agree with all the other posters here, that it is certainly worth a try to help you, but also want to add to the comments, that you must taper your dosage, unless you've been taking only very small amounts of benzos over nearly 2 decades!! Totally stopping is a great goal, but if your current supply is not adequate to do a proper taper, and you cannot locate a physician to prescribe meds adequate to do a taper, you need to know that there are places in the UK (and, for now, the EU) that you can get access to. I'm sorry I can't provide details, or even point you to a place where you might have more luck in a search, as you have not made enough posts yet to achieve "Senior" status, where there are a few more resources available to research.

You might try getting your post count up, even now, there are many ways to do this, but start by going to the main Forum tab and reading through it... your posts (and replies to others' posts) can be made in many categories, not just in the medicine topics, if you get my drift. But do be familiar with the concept of a "quality post," which you can find through a search of the Forum.

This Forum is here to help people, so try to use it to get help for yourself. Good luck, champ!

/edit/ Oh yes, I totally believe that regular exercise, however you can manage to get it, is so good for your whole body & mind, that you absolutely should pursue it, for real. I've only been going to the gym regularly for a couple of months, after decades of being a (physical) slug, so I'm still at the "it wipes me out" stage, but the overall health benefits are impossible to ignore.
    Last edited by calgal99; 5 Days Ago at 11:40 PM.
    Helpful pinkflower, SoTired Rated helpful
    Likes peppergirl, M77, BingBong, kevlar, temmuz, 4family4 liked this post

Hello all, thanks for the info and great advice, not managed to get to the gym yet but have made some life changes, instead of sitting at a computer 11 hours a day, I have now managed to get some work in the yard which quite physical and being alot more active during the day.

I have managed to find more meds in the house however being on my current dose for 20mg daily, I know it will not be possible to taper via the ashton way or above with what I have got, thanks again, I am still committed to tapering but I think I will need to find a new supplier quick, anyway am feeling good,

great advice and support thank you again.
    Likes 4family4, calgal99, SoTired, djrick liked this post

I go on and off them, approx 6 months on and then taper off. I’ll be ok for months and the have work anxiety or whatever need to start back on, it’s a terrible cycle,but I don’t use all the time.
    Helpful kevlar Rated helpful
    Likes SoTired liked this post

Actually thinking about it, I was in Europe a few months back and never took any meds for a week with only minor withdrawal symptoms, I rarely take at the weekend its just when am out, I think I have to get to the root of my anxiety's

SoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant future

Actually thinking about it, (...) I think I have to get to the root of my anxiety's
    Don't we all, sweetie?

Here is an exercise I recommend:
    funny-Minion-laughing-stress-people_0.jpg

When you run out of stress balls, buy some more and throw them at your psychoanalyst. Either that or take a trip to a place of real delight and happiness : Canada! We keep everything frozen, so delight and happiness last forever!

Take care,

ST
    Likes djrick, Blackbird123 liked this post
    Some perfume always lingers on the hand that offers flowers.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.