NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1090 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Cymbalta

ilovebobsaget has a spectacular aura aboutilovebobsaget has a spectacular aura aboutilovebobsaget has a spectacular aura aboutilovebobsaget has a spectacular aura aboutilovebobsaget has a spectacular aura aboutilovebobsaget has a spectacular aura aboutilovebobsaget has a spectacular aura about

Default Cymbalta

I just started cymbalta today. It's one of the few antidepressants I haven't tried. I like that it can help with nerve pain, as well as depression and anxiety. My GP gave me a months supply to last until I see a psychiatrist. I have heard pretty split stories about it, some people say it's wonderful and others say it has terrible side effects. I've been reading up, it took me 2 weeks to decide to fill the prescription and start it. I just wondered if anyone had any personal experiences or advice. I haven't been on antidepressants for at least 5 years.
    .too.weird.to.live.too.rare.to.die.

Olivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of lightOlivia1 is a glorious beacon of light

@ilovebobsaget

I tried it for lower extremity nerve pain. I am somewhat sensitive to all medications. I haven't been able to tolerate lexapro, venlafaxine, and the antidepressant effects of tramadol. So my doctor started me off on the lowest possible dose, 20mg, to try and prevent side effects. He also told me I could even start taking it every other day at first and slowly increase the amount. It still didn't work for me. It seems like all these meds exacerbate my anxiety...make me hot...have nausea...etc I have heard good things about cymbalta and hoped it would be good, but I just can't seem to ever make it past the first few weeks and adjust. the next suggestion was gabapentin because I think that also helps anxiety. I'm just somewhat opposed to taking something around the clock. I prefer as needed meds. If you're prone to having side effects from medications like me...you could talk to your doctor to see if you're on the lowest possible starting dosage and frequency. The side effects should decrease when the drug level in your system stabilizes. I think they would have but I just couldn't make it past two weeks. My doctor also suggested I take it right before bed initially hoping I would be asleep if/when the side effects started. I hope cymbalta works for you. I know a lot of people take it for depression and pain and it works great.

@ilovebobsaget

I tried Cymbalta a few years ago and wasn't on it for very long (weeks or few months). I don't remember if it didn't work for me or if I was just not in a position to pay for name-brand drugs at the time or what, but what I DO remember is when I abruptly stopped the drug. I had these bizarre "brain zaps" that occurred several times a day for probably a week or two after I suddenly stopped taking the medication. I was very concerned, but then it stopped. I was discussing this with my PCP a few months ago and he emphatically nodded when I described my symptoms and told me that was a common problem when stopping that med. I just wanted to let you know in case you stop taking it and experience this, because it was very scary when it happened to me.

Hope it works for you, though, and you find some relief. I've heard of people having good experiences with taking it.

MayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond reputeMayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond repute
    MayreeAngel2 has a reputation beyond repute
    I tried Cymbalta years ago. I could not lift my head off my desk at work for 3 days.
    My Dr. said possibly I was allergic to it.
    I'll never try it again.
    Luckily I've found a new med.
    Likes Mecha, Sassypat liked this post

Spain has a spectacular aura aboutSpain has a spectacular aura aboutSpain has a spectacular aura aboutSpain has a spectacular aura aboutSpain has a spectacular aura aboutSpain has a spectacular aura about

@ilovebobsaget I was on Cymbalta for about 1 and a half years, it took about 2 months to really start working. Side effects were migraines more often and lack of appetite, weight loss and upset tummy. I felt tired to start and after about 2 months had more energy. I slowly felt more positive about life and much less worried about things and more confident. I tried other meds such as Prozac which did not work. Cymbalta really helped me recover from depression and anxiety but I was glad to finally get off them as I felt kind of numb inside after a while. I wanted to just feel normal again. Coming off them was done over 2 months and was not a problem at all. I still suffer from anxiety but the depression is completely gone. I give Cymbalta 9 out of 10 and the side effects were bearable and got less as time went on. Hope you are doing ok on Cymbalta?

Ashley_Koxx has a spectacular aura aboutAshley_Koxx has a spectacular aura aboutAshley_Koxx has a spectacular aura aboutAshley_Koxx has a spectacular aura about

The first 2 weeks were terrible. I felt like I was going crazy. Maybe just the body getting used to it? Anyways, after that the side effects started getting better and started to feel a whole lot better.

I was on venlafaxine for about a year and knew that things weren't going well and I did not want to move up to a higher dose due to certain side effects. I ended up tapering off venlafaxine (the first week or two wasn't a great experience) and I also started on wellbutrin XL.
    I was prescribed propranolol for anxiety as needed a year ago, which helped in certain situations. But in weeks/months down the road, I started to become very anxious, which impacted my quality of life.
    After meeting with a new psychiatrist for a consultation, he gave me a choice of starting on venlafaxine again but this time moving up to a higher strength gradually, or I could try duloxetine, which I ended up choosing. Although they're in the same class, I'm hoping to see some improvement in a month or two. I was also prescribed alprazolam, but it will probably be for a month or two until I'm at a therapeutic dose and in better health.

I was put on cymbalta a few years ago for aniexty and nerve pain mostly in my feet. I don't think I even lasted a week. The side effects were so bad I couldn't take it. I remember trying to pretend everything was cool at work but yet I felt like a zombie. I couldn't sleep, had this strange tightness in my jaw, and just over all felt terrible. When I told the doctor he said ok so your refusing treatment? That was the last time I went back to that Doctor.
    Likes mancman liked this post

Sassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond repute
    Sassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond reputeSassypat has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    I was put on cymbalta a few years ago for aniexty and nerve pain mostly in my feet. I don't think I even lasted a week. The side effects were so bad I couldn't take it. I remember trying to pretend everything was cool at work but yet I felt like a zombie. I couldn't sleep, had this strange tightness in my jaw, and just over all felt terrible. When I told the doctor he said ok so your refusing treatment? That was the last time I went back to that Doctor.
    @Racerx What a jerk! I know many people around me who could not take that drug. Lordy be, what an a$$ of a doc.
    Likes Racerx, mancman liked this post

After so many Antidepressants and other meds over the past two decades I was prescribed this around two years ago after withdrawing off another med. I'd already had a good look at its profile researching it on the net and due to the reports of difficulties withdrawing off this I didn't take it..I still have an unopened box. I'd told the p-doc about what I'd heard about and like @ladypilot - the 'brain zaps' (not uncommon on SSRI's @ SNRI's etc); she said she'd never heard of them and kind of suggested I wasn't being resistant to the treatment offered...which I never am - I'm always too polite for my own good...Anyway I'm glad I didn't start another med regime with Cymbalta....I imagine there will be some fallout in the future regarding this medication...It's short half-life seems to be the problem with people getting off it.

Cymbalta is a great med for depression, plus the other pain relief aspects of it. I do see some people above have posted that it didn’t work for them, and that’s fine, not every med is a fit for everybody. But for most people, this is a great tool to help with a variety of things, and the side effects are minimal, if any.

Raspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant futureRaspberry has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by middle_aged View Post
    Cymbalta is a great med for depression, plus the other pain relief aspects of it. I do see some people above have posted that it didn’t work for them, and that’s fine, not every med is a fit for everybody. But for most people, this is a great tool to help with a variety of things, and the side effects are minimal, if any.
    What??? That is fine if the side effects are minimal and it is a great tool to help with a variety of things, but many people cannot tolerate this great tool of yours that is so helpful.

I never took this medication but I know someone who has started taking it and is having maximal side effects. I took Effexor before and it was the most horrible experience and basically ruined my life for a couple of years. I think it is great to say what was helpful for you, but to blanket statement about how 'great' it is, is your experience. I think there are many things that are ungreat about it. The SNRI withdrawal is especially 'ungreat'...That was my personal experience, but not an uncommon one.
    Last edited by Raspberry; 03-16-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    Helpful mancman Rated helpful
    Likes ludwig1961 liked this post

You only have to do a little research on Cymbalta (Duloxetine) to see the fallout thats already occurring....Too many painful and negative experiences to discount, including impending lawsuits especially regarding withdrawing from this med. I'd advise anyone to research this med before deciding to take it.
    @Rasberry I totally agree with you regarding Venlafaxine withdrawal (an SNRI)....I've had trouble coming off SSRI's in the past but this was a different level....
    Last edited by mancman; 03-16-2017 at 02:41 PM.

14. I was lucky I pulled myself off Cymbalta after about 45 days. This was 5 or so years ago. I've had chronic pain, anxiety, & major depression now for 30 years. I've tried every narcotic, & non- narcotic ( omit a few) but the Cymbalta was showing all the signs of a medication that may well help a few, but now that more information is coming out the true issues that go w/ this medication is really bad. After being on 150mg's 75 in the a.m. & 75 in the p.m. I was waiting for it too start working on the severe chronic pain & neuropathy but it never did. The s/e's how ever instead of decreasing were actually starting to pile up. Bloating, weight gain, & a state I've never had before like disassocitive kinda feeling. I'm on several other med's but the s/e's & to my surprise a w/d syndrome that lasted 7 full day's of 5/10 scale w/d symptom's. None of my other med's had been changed or missing.
    Helpful mancman, Lumo Rated helpful

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.