Thread: Which anti-depressant for multiple issues?

dearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to all

Default Which anti-depressant for multiple issues?

Soooo...finally I saw a psychologist, and though he was nice, I don't think much will come of it. I can't afford it for one thing, on an ongoing basis. What the government says is $20 per session or free is actually more like $60 and you only get 6-10 a year. And no psychiatrist.

But the point of this post is, I mentioned I'd had Zoloft and Lexapro and neither really worked too well. The dr asked if I'd tried Effexor. Nope, I said, but I'd be open to anything. He also mentioned an anti-psychotic. I KNOW I'm not psychotic and he agreed, but said they can help stabilise moods. But...my moods ARE stable. They're just always no good. lol.

My question now is...it seems anti-depressants do EITHER of the following...

1. Calm, sedate, slow down, make you lethargic, good for sleep issues like insomnia, good for anger issues, they can also result in anhedonia and/or lack of motivation.

2. Motivate, energise you, make you feel a bit "above" your problems, and feel a bit more "alive", but they can also make you feel irritable, angry, impatient, intolerant and restless due to the extra energy.

So what do you do when you're me, who is a lethargic lump who can't get out of bed before midday, has absolutely no desire to do anything and doesn't enjoy anything anymore.

I DO also have energy once I actually force myself to get up, and am also extremely irritable, impatient, naggy, easily angered and stressed, and SO intolerant of most people and things. I walk really fast to get past all the slow walkers. I rush around and get my things I have to do done so I can get back home and lump on the couch again and do...nothing. Which I don't enjoy either.

So...oversleeping, difficulty getting out of bed, lack of motivation, pleasure and anhedonia SHOULD equal an energising antidepressant, right?

But then the existing intolerance, impatience, anger, excess restless energy that has nowhere to go because despite HAVING some energy, it still doesn't make me want to actually DO anything or enjoy the things I used to. So it comes out in those negative ways. Plus my lifelong insomnia that I now take meds for (antihistamines and benzos) but prior to that, I would be wide awake until 1am and then unable to sleep after 4am, for years. And then (even without pills), I'd be exhausted and unable to get up before 11am or later.

So NEITHER type of pill would help those opposing issues. Would it?

Is anyone else on both ends of the depression spectrum, eg, impatient and irritable with energy but still getting no pleasure from things, oversleeping and feeling no interest?

This isn't even including the chronic severe anxiety, social anxiety, PTSD, BPD and OCD that I've now pretty much also been diagnosed with. (the BPD and OCD are mild and don't bother me at the moment).
    Last edited by dearie23; 03-19-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Likes KarMar, Carter, pinkflower liked this post
    But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm - Stevie Nicks

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Utopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to behold

@dearie23

The two antidepressants you've tried are SSRIs so they're in the most popular class of antidepressant. I know of one other in that class with a reputation for covering more bases: duloxetine. Look it up and see if it might be a good option for you.

With the lethargy really seeming to bother you, a different type of antidepressant might be worth looking at, bupropion is fairly unique and non-serotonergic, it works on the dopamine instead of the serotonin. It might not help as much with the anxiety related issues but it has a good honest reputation for results.

Another option would be to find the conventional antidepressant that does the most good for you and add a eugeroic like nuvigil. It can help a lot with focusing energy and getting things done.

Hope you get some progress going in your direction and enjoy life!
    Helpful millyeleven11, pinkflower Rated helpful
    Likes Carter, dearie23 liked this post

dearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to all

Thank you.

I went to the doctor and am going to try one of the newer MAOI. Hopefully that might do something.
    But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm - Stevie Nicks

Well, it's been a year and I tried that MAOI (Moclobomide) for 3 weeks before having to revert back to the Sertraline due to the fact it literally put me to sleep ALL DAY EVERYDAY. I had guests coming to stay so had to give up. Meh.

Lumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of light

Have you tried mirtazapine @dearie23? Some people find it one of the most powerful outside of the MAOIs. It can be sedating, but taking it at night can also help with sleep and many don't notice the sedating properties the next day. Increased appetite, rather than lack of effect, is perhaps the most common reason for people stopping it.
    Likes dearie23 liked this post

I've actually been too nervous to try it as I fear it's one of the irreversible MAOIs so I won't be able to eat anything, and I'm also scared of eating too much and putting on weight!

8. Which anti-depressant for multiple issues?