Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk depression

When I go back to my doctor, I'm going to ask him about maybe adding testosterone shots. I been reading and I understand that long term subutext treatment can cause low testosterone and in turn that can cause depression.
    I dunno, I'm just trying to figure this out. I know things are different and it's putting a strain on my marriage. I just don't have drive, or the want to, to live life like I use to.

Quote Originally Posted by evertking View Post
    I am going through this right now. It takes everything to get me out of bed and I just don't feel myself. I am a 45 yr old father of 5 and my wife and I were always on the go with the kids. I have a photography business and love to do landscape photography on the side. Photography is my passion and not even that can not get me out.

My wife and I have talked about it but it's kinda embarrassing to bring up at the doc. I can't explain it, I just don't feel myself anymore. Now, I not talking bat shit crazy, suicide and all of that but just in a funk and in all honesty I have been dealing with this for a few months. Gabapentin seems to help me but then I think.. I didn't need junk to get me out living life like I used to. I work or I am in my bed and I miss my kids, it's hard to hear them playing and laughing in the next room but I just can't get out of this funk.

I suffered from anxiety and when I was young I discovered hydro and how it would just take everything away and at that time i was best friends with a hospice nurse and things spiralled way out of control and I ended up on subutext.. so 10 plus years later here I am. A depressed mess and don't know what to do. The guilt of addiction and then the "I dont want the kids to know dad's a mess" I honestly don't know if I need to say screw it and go to rehab or try and get my depression fixed. My sub doc is just in it for the money..

Well, there is my mess. This is the first time I just laid it out, other than my wife. I know something has to give, I just don't know what or how.
    I can relate to this a lot. 45 years of age as well. I’ve chalked up my depression the last 5 years or so due to living with chronic pain. But then I see others older than me who’ve dealt with physical aches and pains much longer than I have, and who manage their lives better and still soldier through.
    I have a good life, an awesome & supportive wife, great kids, solid career... yet I too have mornings that it takes everything in me to just mentally and literally get out of bed and start my day. I’ve lost count the number of days when I didn’t have a heavy workload that I’d just waste away the day in bed in my own pile of misery.
    I’ve figured out part of what helps like others have posted, is that even simple exercise is beneficial. I also do worse in the grey cold winter months when the days are shorter and there’s less available daylight.
    My PM doc has had me try a few things in the A.D. lineup of meds, but I didn’t find any positive effects from them.
    I see in your second post you mention trying testosterone replacement therapy. My doc had me on that for roughly 4 months, but again I noticed zero improvement. Perhaps you’ll have a more positive experience with that if you try it.
    I ended up last winter meeting with a counselor for 4 or 5 sessions. She had a lot of helpful suggestions, and a ton I’ve already tried. I connected with her though because her husband deals with a similar chronic pain issue as mine. One of her suggestions that I’ve just recently decided to see if it would help is a low dose of adderall. Surprisingly my doc was on board with it.
    We started out with 5mg in the first week. I’ve been taking a low dose for about a month now, and have settled on 7.5 mg IR (30mg broken into quarters), about 2-4 days a week, and sometimes a second early afternoon dose on the hardest of days. It’s had a big impact in helping me get going in the mornings. I often will wake up somewhere between 4-6am, take the dose, and by the time 7am rolls around I just get up and get going. It’s nothing special, just enough of an energy boost on the dark mornings when I feel that heavy weight of mental fatigue and depression that would normally make getting out of bed seem exhaustingly implausible.
    Whatever you find out, I would suggest just be open to new ideas, and not just the ones that come with an R/x. Perhaps it will be a combination of things. I’ve read of life changing results for patients, some who have lived with crippling depression for decades, in getting ketamine infusions.
    Best of luck to you in your search, and everyone else that deals with mild or severe depression. It’s a difficult life, especially if there are others that depend on you for support in their lives too.

** One other suggestion, it wouldn’t hurt to get your yearly physical exam from your gp. I re-read your post and noticed you mentioned this was a fairly new development in your life, the low energy and depressed feelings.
    Not to cause any alarm, but my neighbor and good friend last year passed away. He found out Dec. 17th that he had stomach cancer, and we buried him April 11th. He pushed the fatigue and low energy in the back of his mind for a couple months, I believe he said he first started to notice a change the previous September. I don’t think we can be too cautious, especially when we need to be there to support our spouse and kids.
    Last edited by Doc_Rogue; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:47 AM.
    Helpful Whisperliner L1011, pippi222, mani Rated helpful

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mikedan View Post
    Hi , the best thing for me for depression was not medications and i my doctor tried many on me. Medication actually made me feel worse. One thing that did help me was talking with people who were going through the same thing as me. I felt better about it cause i wasn’t alone. Other people were dealing with the issues as me witch made me feel not being alone. A lot of us think that talking about it won’t help but you would be surprised on how much it helps people opening up about how they feel. If medication works for you, great. It was pretty amazing on how many people were going through the same as me and that’s what helped me get through depression. I obviously deal with it every day but some days are worse then others but know i have more positive days then negative because i opened up to others and it was the best thing I ever did. So if your dealing with depression and medication is not working for you , try different things for yourself until you start feeling better. Don’t give up cause you can beat depression. Stay positive.
    It seems that when i heard anyone in a position of teaching or informing the use of anti-depressants in people who are clinically depressed it was always couched in the fact that psychotherapy MUST be in accordance with the script. But out here in the real world I have not seen any DR request or do any psychotherapy along with a anti-depression script. Its really so sad that one who put trust into this person fpr help they are somewhat missguided. The reason counseling along with the pill was encouraged together because most research has shown results for improvement is always when the two is combined. But , i say again-in the reality of the real money focus world its alot quicker, which means more appointments and more money to just write a script.

Its so sad when this commercial comes on for another anti-depressant which explains the reason to take this new anti-depressant is because 2 out of 3 people have no help from taking present medications. So the answer to the new legal drug dealers is to shove another pill down your throat along with the 2-anti-depressants which have been totally void for the user but the fda is laughing all the way to the bank.

The people i know who wanted therapy-"counseling" seemed to find it very difficult to get approved by insurance and always being shoved the chemical answer.
    Helpful mani Rated helpful

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    There are other things besides drugs to help depression. The latest thing is using a tiny electrical current on your ear. No, that is not a joke and it does work. Look in the alternate therapies forum for more details. It works even on hard to treat depression. May not be a cure all but I have used it and gotten results. I'm not depressed but even so I noticed a definite improvement in mood and energy levels using it. It also helps with other conditions, too much info to repeat here, read the thread.
    Helpful pippi222 Rated helpful
    Likes pmpl, djrick liked this post

pippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the rough

I too suggest alternative therapies as @Gullible has said. They are proving very helpful for many people, especially those who do not respond to antidepressant medications. Rtms (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation) is another option that on the surface may sound a little wacky but has given significant relief to some: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/psyc...s/faq_tms.html
    Likes Gullible, djrick, mani liked this post

6. I felt this. In the last 5 years i have lost a father figure to suicide, sister to depression/suicide, and a very close friend just attempted hanging her self. I have struggled with depression my entire life and have taken numerous meds but i seems to grow these complex negative impressions about everything and i eventually convince myself that everything just potentiates the depression. The only thing that has ever truly worked is art. Playing music, writing, talking about books gets me kind of high. Cant tell if it's mania (see, perfect example), but for these moments i am lost in passion and forget about problems all together. All i know is i wouldnt wish it for anyone and maybe trying to transcend with anything youre passionate about can help the fight. Love yall.
    Last edited by opiatesandchopin; 1 Week Ago at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typos

7. I have been struggling myself lately.

Anyway, my doctor recently scripted me low dose Wellbutrin to take in addition to my 60mg of Cymbalta.

I decided not to take it and instead started exercising every day and taking my vitamins. Helped for a while but now I am getting hit hard with all of my DD's problems. Kids can really put us through the wringer.

SIGH
    Last edited by Blackbird123; 1 Week Ago at 08:52 AM.
    Helpful Whisperliner L1011, Binky Rated helpful
    Likes jakemoe, djrick liked this post

8. For me it was hard to talk with people about my depression cause i felt it was my fault but reading more about it i felt opening up with people cause they were going down the same road as i was. I felt very refreshed opening up and talking about it. That was my first big step. Please talk to anyone about the way you feel cause it helps.
    Likes jakemoe, pippi222, mani, Binky liked this post

pippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the rough

My avatar comes from a really funny cartoon about depression that I think explains it perfectly. If you’ve experienced it, this will probably make you smile: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...-part-two.html
    Helpful jakemoe Rated helpful

mani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of lightmani is a glorious beacon of light

I can relate to so many things said on this thread.

my first breakdown was about 25 years ago. I also suffered from anxiety and my doc prescribed Paroxetine (Seroxat). It made me 100 times worth but my employer sent me to a doc and said I might feel a little worse for a while before they started working. It turned into a month.

I then turned into a alcohol and drugs to me make me better. My biggest mistake ever. Ive been to at least 4 rehab centres due to the fact I didn't taper properly. to cut a long story short Iv'e had a fit. Anyone who has a fit they will tell u it's the worst feeling ever when/if u come around. I was taken to hospital each time where I suffered more fits even on large doses of Librium.

The last 2 years have been the worst even knowing that first drink could be the end. I actually died one time only to a paramedic giving me CBR. One fit in hospital injured me somehow I nearly lost my eye and had to call the on call plastic surgeon to stitch me up just above my left eye. I think I had about 12 stitches. Iv;e also smashed my face up breaking my nose, and the worse one was a few months ago when I woke up in my house with half my face on the floor, from my my chin to my mouth, 14 stiches followed. I should be dead but someone up there likes me. All I caused with misery my friends and family have suffered to. I'm 51 and talking to a doctor he said I was probably suffering from Serotonin Syndrome.

At the moment I have decided to taper of the anti-depressents and are down to 10mg from 60mg,yeah 60mg. I already feel a lot better and have been of the booze for a while. Apparently the are the hardest of all AD's, and I swear when I'm off them i will never take these evil pills again. Famous last words? Really I can't do this stuff again. No wonder they have been banned from under 18's due to the amount of suisides.

I also concur with other members that exercise, keeping busy, have a decent diet, don't lay in bed all day and TALK to people, a problem shared and all that.

Sorry for the rambling but this is part of my therapy. Yeah talking to you does make me feel just a little better. Thanks for listling.
    Helpful Binky, Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes jakemoe liked this post
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand - Homer Simpson

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12