NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 313 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapering Codeine Phosphate

1. Quote Originally Posted by Smithy1 View Post
    Hi folks, Just need a little advice so I thought I will put a post up for your opinions.

I'm currently taking 10 tablets off Codeine Phospahte a day 30mg.

The thing is I do a lot off exercise through out the day you name it I do it, I suffer from really bad anxiety so instead of going out to the gym I thought the gym can come to me I have a rowing machine, treadmill, cross circuit, Weights and a few other bits and bobs, I spend about 3 hours a day exercising to get rid off my anxiety and take codeine for the aches and pains from it.

Anyway I've got just over a 100 codeine left and I'm taking 10 a day plus a extra few here and there so maybe a couple more, I'm just wondering what's the best way to taper down? I have a break from my exercise and the codeine for about 3-4 weeks then start back up exercising again along with taking codeine, But the last time I done it I just stopped them all together and went cold turkey the withdrawals where terrible to say the least.

Just say like I'm taking 10 now shall I take 9 tomorrow then 8 the day after that then 7 the day after that and so on and do it that way?

Advice appreciated, Thanks, Luke.
    Hi Smithy1, how long have you been taking 10 tabs of codeine for? 300 mg is not a small dose, and if you only have 100 tabs left, the taper you're planning might be too fast. If it's possible for you to get more, a slower taper would probably be much easier.

One class of medication that can help with opiate withdrawal symptoms are alpha-2 agonists. Opiates directly reduce the activity of the locus coeruleus, which is the brain's main producer of adrenaline and noradrenaline. This is why opiates have a calming effect. Some of the symptoms of opiate withdrawal are caused by excessive activity in the locus coeruleus upon cessation. Alpha-2 agonists like clonidine, guanfacine, and moxonidine trick the brain into thinking the body has more adrenaline than it really has, thereby inhibiting the locus coeruleus. Alpha-2 agonists are very common medications and available from most IOPs.
    Helpful jaders, justaregularguy Rated helpful
    Like rufusshinra99 liked this post

2. This maybe should be moved to the dependency / withdrawal section.

I just wanted to update for other inquiring minds that I am in day 9 of my taper off high strength opiates using DHC (and eventually taper off DHC all together). This morning was one of the toughest mornings I have had in a while. A huge wave of depression overtook me. I guess this is the beginning of the PAWS phase. I laid in bed not wanting to get up and stressed about work / life but decided to just suck it up and face the work day head on. Feeling better now but still feel like there's a cloud stuck over me.

My short term goals are to catch up the work I have been procrastinating during the early phase of my recovery and continue to go to the gym and clean up my house. I let a lot of things go while I was on my medication (albeit only for a few months). Going to try another small reduction today regardless of how I felt this morning.

Hope you are well @Smithy1.

Smithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant future

@Captain Planet I was taking them for around about a month then I try and have a week break with my exercise then get back to taking them with all the exercise I do so i take them every month with a weeks break, but I start to slow down my use of it around the 3rd week, Thankyou for your advice I have just had 2 parcels arrive this morning 412 tablets of 30mg, so I am currently back taking them I lasted 8 days and the 8 days was awful it always is when I come off them, I will look into the Alpha-2 Agonists. Thanks again, Luke.

@rufusshinra99 Hope you are doing well to and keep going to the gym also and do as much as you can I don't personally go
    To the gym because off my anxiety I let the gym come to me and have a fair amout off equipment in my house to use, Thanks for all your advice people on this people.
    Like rufusshinra99 liked this post

I truly feel for you.

Personally, I cannot tolerate the stuff. It makes me vomit.

May you find the help and friendships you need and deserve during this rough time.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Smithy1 View Post
    @Captain Planet I was taking them for around about a month then I try and have a week break with my exercise then get back to taking them with all the exercise I do so i take them every month with a weeks break, but I start to slow down my use of it around the 3rd week, Thankyou for your advice I have just had 2 parcels arrive this morning 412 tablets of 30mg, so I am currently back taking them I lasted 8 days and the 8 days was awful it always is when I come off them, I will look into the Alpha-2 Agonists. Thanks again, Luke.
    It's good to hear that you were able to obtain more tablets. So your routine has been taking them for one month, then taking a week-long break, and then going back to taking them for one month? Is this correct? How long have you been using this routine? The total length of the period that you've been taking the codeine could help determine the optimal tapering process.
    Helpful Denman Rated helpful

Smithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant futureSmithy1 has a brilliant future

@Captain Planet Yeah you have hit the nail right on the head with what you have said regarding my routine I have been doing this for around 6-7 months now, I eat right I exercise just to try and get rid off my anxiety/panic attacks is there any other method that you could suggest with the tapering side off things? When I'm tapering I'll admit when I do start to taper I sometimes tend not to stick to it a few times and just take all
    my pills and then have none left then go into full blown withdrawals which is awful to say the least, My tapering method is just drop a pill a day at a time like just say for instance I'll be taking 8-9 I'll take 7 then 6 then 5 the next day and So on.

Thanks for your help, Cheers Luke.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Smithy1 View Post
    @Captain Planet Yeah you have hit the nail right on the head with what you have said regarding my routine I have been doing this for around 6-7 months now, I eat right I exercise just to try and get rid off my anxiety/panic attacks is there any other method that you could suggest with the tapering side off things? When I'm tapering I'll admit when I do start to taper I sometimes tend not to stick to it a few times and just take all
    my pills and then have none left then go into full blown withdrawals which is awful to say the least, My tapering method is just drop a pill a day at a time like just say for instance I'll be taking 8-9 I'll take 7 then 6 then 5 the next day and So on.

Thanks for your help, Cheers Luke.
    If you've been doing this routine for 6-7 months, I think it would be best to taper over at least 2-3 months. But it's different for everyone. 2-3 months might be too fast for some people, and there's nothing wrong with taking longer. For example, when it comes to tapering from benzos, some doctors recommend using a tapering period equal to the amount of time that benzos have been taken. For example, if someone was taking benzos for 2 years, they could take 2 years to fully taper.

But man, I think the main obstacle is being able to stick to the tapering process. If you don't stick with it and end up taking all your pills and then go into cold-turkey withdrawal, well, that's not good.

It seems like you have reliable sources for all the codeine you need, so all I would say is take it slow and try hard to stick to the process.

@Captain Planet Yes some more codeine have arrived this morning off another U.K vendor so I am stocked right up with it for a while now around 400 30mg pills, so I won't have to worry about any awful withdrawals anytime soon, Yeah your right I do need to stick to stick to tapering when I am running low but like you say people are different I also take benzos for anxiety to I take 10mg a day off diazepam, As you say it's sticking to the tapering that's the thing it's all about willpower some people have it some people don't, Anyway thanks for your advice and info I will post back on this thread when I am starting to taper off them again.

Take Care, Luke.

Morals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant future

With opiates, your taper has to be very slow to be successful. You shouldn’t be dropping any faster than one pill every fourth day. If you dose 3 codiene tabs, 3 times a day, reduce the third dose of the day by one tab. Then, take 3 tabs for your first two doses each day followed by 2 tabs at night for three days. On the fourth day, reduce your second dose to two pills also. Then for three days take your doses like 3,2,2 then on the fourth day again, reduce your morning dose so now every dose is 2,2,2. Then on the fourth day, reduce your last dose of the day by one pill again so it’s 2,2,1 for three days.

Continue this way until you are tak8ng none. I have safely withdrawn from opiates in this way, dozens of times. It works. Some people prefer to flip the taper around and reduce from the morning first, it doesn’t matter which you reduce first, so long as you only reduce one tab every fourth day. Any faster and you are not likely to succeed.

It’s best to figured out the number of pills you’ll need to execute a taper in this manner and not to try and taper until you have enough. If you do it right, you can safely withdrawal to taking none and never get sick. THIS METHOD IS FOR OPIATES ONLY, DO NOT DO THIS WITH BENZOS. Benzo withdrawal can kill you, greater care must be taken to withdrawal more slowly from benzos than opiates.

Thought I will dig this thread back up just to say I’m back on codeine and it’s worse than ever I have been onnit around 2 now after Been 14 month sober from it, On a bad day and this is a serious habit inua e I can neck around 20 30mg a day off it I used to take it for that really euphoria feeling it gave me bit then I was just faking it to feel well and keep the withdrawals off, Yea it’s that bad. I feel ashamed but that can I do well I had my last 6 pills at one last night and I’m planning on going COLD TURKEY I have benzos at hand for the restlessness and things and sleep, I’m literally taking 8 pills at once at times sometimes it can be ten then I’ll take another 10 on the night (All at once) I’m just dreading every syptom off opiates withdrawal special codeine it’s awful, I just had a wobble one day a really bad wobble, so as you can imagine it’s costing me a bomb yet again, Me and a good friend had a taper together I haven’t spoke to her in a while she knows who she is so I will reach out to her.

So I will let you guys know how the withdrawals go probably awful but I know what I’m in for, Thanks for taking the time and listening folks.
    Like Ganesh, RobbieTD liked this post

If you want to get off the roller coaster maybe look into options for methadone maintenance. Maybe the codeine is filling some basic need and that's why you came back to it. Oh, missed the fact you're in England. And that probly means NHS. Brits with money can go to a private doctor and have their privacy and some of them can even get methadone ampoules for IV use at home despite IV being off label.

But then there's also your diazepam use, which you don't have a scrip for. I wish you the best. But maybe there's a good clinic you could find, maybe like a teaching hospital or such could be a decent way to go on MMT.
    Last edited by Trampy; 07-12-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: England
    Treatment-Resistant Depression is not a Disease, It's a Personality Type

Farley is offline Banned Reason: Previously banned user (Missmolly)
    Farley will become famous soon enoughFarley will become famous soon enoughFarley will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy1 View Post
    Thought I will dig this thread back up just to say I’m back on codeine and it’s worse than ever I have been onnit around 2 now after Been 14 month sober from it, On a bad day and this is a serious habit inua e I can neck around 20 30mg a day off it I used to take it for that really euphoria feeling it gave me bit then I was just faking it to feel well and keep the withdrawals off, Yea it’s that bad. I feel ashamed but that can I do well I had my last 6 pills at one last night and I’m planning on going COLD TURKEY I have benzos at hand for the restlessness and things and sleep, I’m literally taking 8 pills at once at times sometimes it can be ten then I’ll take another 10 on the night (All at once) I’m just dreading every syptom off opiates withdrawal special codeine it’s awful, I just had a wobble one day a really bad wobble, so as you can imagine it’s costing me a bomb yet again, Me and a good friend had a taper together I haven’t spoke to her in a while she knows who she is so I will reach out to her.

So I will let you guys know how the withdrawals go probably awful but I know what I’m in for, Thanks for taking the time and listening folks.

I don't know your back strory, But you can get rarely away with taken opiates of higher doses for about 3 weeks, I dunnu what CYPD Gene you have. You may get mild withdrawl systems. I don't think the amount you took was super high, but it is concerning you mixed them with Benzos. Instead of thinking of this as a "OH NO" i'm back to being an addict, try and remember all adults have blips. I went from Morphine PCA, Dilidud, Pethedine and all the good stuff IV'ed. When reduced to pills I took may more than what you did. U decided tio cut cold Turkey as I my sick note rang out. If you are on a LONG flight, take Imodium and fly business or first class if you can. If you are in the states buy one of those AC FAN things and sleep next to that. Have a few buckets ,one for toilet and one for sick. DRINK A LOT, take sugary drinks, try and get a zoplclone. Have lots of baths, take a shower after if you don't feel clean. buy bath salts abd ginger cubes from a health shop, I went fromy pill WD, in the states, 4 days latter I pulled it off. Don't be to hard on yourself. Tomorrow is a new day .

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know your back strory, But you can get rarely away with taken opiates of higher doses for about 3 weeks, I dunnu what CYPD Gene you have. You may get mild withdrawl systems. I don't think the amount you took was super high, but it is concerning you mixed them with Benzos. Instead of thinking of this as a "OH NO" i'm back to being an addict, try and remember all adults have blips. I went from Morphine PCA, Dilidud, Pethedine and all the good stuff IV'ed. When reduced to pills I took may more than what you did. U decided tio cut cold Turkey as I my sick note rang out. If you are on a LONG flight, take Imodium and fly business or first class if you can. If you are in the states buy one of those AC FAN things and sleep next to that. Have a few buckets ,one for toilet and one for sick. DRINK A LOT, take sugary drinks, try and get a zoplclone. Have lots of baths, take a shower after if you don't feel clean. buy bath salts abd ginger cubes from a health shop, I went fromy pill WD, in the states, 4 days latter I pulled it off. Don't be to hard on yourself. Tomorrow is a new day .

Hey @Smithy1 Not sure if you remember me but I saw your other post and sorry you are in such a bad place. You have been through so much so please don't be hard on yourself. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make all this shit go away for you. For both of us, lol.

I don't know anything about codeine but I just wanted to say "hi" after I saw you back again. My best friend lives in the UK (she's not on this forum) and has inadvertently become addicted to codeine. She was given it for pain which has since gone away, but the script was kept going and she didn't realise how much she was depending on it until she ran out for a few days and said she "felt like shit". She and I are both pretty ignorant about it to be honest. I did take it a couple of times for bad toothache (given to me by a neighbour) and I felt like I was flying......until I vomited and vomited, lol. That was the end of my codeine adventure.

Take care,
    Hugs, V x

Oh and PS - Don't feel ashamed! That's an order! I feel ashamed about my xan "habit" but it is what it is. So f*ck it! I am trying to reduce it by eating healthier and getting back to running of course. I'm not just accepting it.
    Last edited by pinkflower; 07-12-2019 at 06:17 PM.

14. The severity of CT withdrawal from codeine is inversely proportional to your rate of metabolism, so symptoms can vary quite a lot from person to person. In my own case, I metabolize fairly rapidly, so the physical aspects of CT are tolerable, though bad enough. The insomnia is another issue, that is brutal, unrelenting, and debilitating physically and mentally. Once you hit that 4th night of no sleep, your body can start to break down, so having some valium around is essential. Unfortunately, I had none on my last go around and I was severely sleep deprived.

My own withdrawal kit contains....

....clonidine, to keep my blood pressure stable and take to the edge off my nerves
    ....tramadol, this hits those same pain receptors as codeine, so having this will greatly reduce symptoms. I would only take this for the first 2-3 days out, so as not to trade habits.
    .....loperamide, for the queasiness and runny stools. At higher doses, this fools your insides into thinking you took a full opiate, since it hits the pain receptors in your gut.
    .....gabapentin, somewhat less active than tramadol at the pain receptors, but will take the edge off the symptoms.
    .....valium, an absolute MUST if you expect to get any sleep the first week or longer.
    .....destromethorphan, active ingredient in tussin syrup, this potentiates the other drugs listed above.
    My mailbox doth run empty.

Farley is offline Banned Reason: Previously banned user (Missmolly)
    Farley will become famous soon enoughFarley will become famous soon enoughFarley will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Trampy View Post
    If you want to get off the roller coaster maybe look into options for methadone maintenance. Maybe the codeine is filling some basic need and that's why you came back to it. Oh, missed the fact you're in England. And that probly means NHS. Brits with money can go to a private doctor and have their privacy and some of them can even get methadone ampoules for IV use at home despite IV being off label.

But then there's also your diazepam use, which you don't have a scrip for. I wish you the best. But maybe there's a good clinic you could find, maybe like a teaching hospital or such could be a decent way to go on MMT.
    I go private doctors and they get in touch with my normal GP, . No one has to pay for their meds. They do have to pay for a private prescription and it is NOT much. Teaching hospitals are run my the NHS, and they are haeavily supervised. My brother will be a doctor in a few weeks. We had to visit out Aunt who does not allow swearing so we spent the time , Mouthing " ****er" and insults at each other and making " wankng signs etc" SOON that twat will be loose on you. ALL because I used his new razor and wore it out, I am not a silverback Ape. Knees to ankles and quick under the arm. How the **** can that blunt a blade. Gorless **** probably out it back in the new package.
    Like pinkflower liked this post

16. @Smithy1
    Hey you! I'm rarely online these days but the lovely Pink lady on here gave me a nudge. I've not read where you are with quitting / reducing yet but I'm glad to see that you've recognised what you need to do. I agree with @Morals
    Don't ever give in. You know how to reach me.
    V X
    Like pinkflower liked this post
    WE is always stronger than I

17. You can certainly taper but it is hard. Id get some good CBD or Ashwaghadha ...etc to help you or well you know what opiate withdrawl is like I would assume? Benzos could help too.

Hope this is going well. I've been there, done that. No fun. Best of luck to you. W

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12