Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Shingles

  1. #21
    I was getting ready to roll up my sleeve at the pharmacy for $200 and then they told me id have to come back for a second one. Sticker shock and walked out.

  2. #22
    I am shocked at all the posts with having shingles twice. Supposedly, you can only get it once, and then you have life long immunity. But, that said, it is caused by the same virus as chicken pox, and I had that twice, when I was a kid. The doctor was stunned.

    Also, as touched on earlier, if you get shingles, you have to take the antiviral within something like 72 hours. If not it will either not work, or remotely shorten the attack. I am not posting this to dissuade anyone from the antiviral, but you have to try and get it fast. YMMV.

    As far as the vaccine, if I never had it, I would run, not walk.
    Likes calgal99 liked this post
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Coast Boonies
    Posts
    1,197
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by M77 View Post
    I am shocked at all the posts with having shingles twice. Supposedly, you can only get it once, and then you have life long immunity. But, that said, it is caused by the same virus as chicken pox, and I had that twice, when I was a kid. The doctor was stunned.

    Also, as touched on earlier, if you get shingles, you have to take the antiviral within something like 72 hours. If not it will either not work, or remotely shorten the attack. I am not posting this to dissuade anyone from the antiviral, but you have to try and get it fast. YMMV.

    As far as the vaccine, if I never had it, I would run, not walk.
    @M77, I totally agree with your conclusion. I think the deal is, if you ever actually got chickenpox (say, as a child) then the virus stays, lurking, in your nervous system forever. And if (whatever trigger) *zaps* it, then you can get shingles (not exactly the same as chickenpox, similar but with different symptoms) after having these triggers activated. The single, best prevention is a pox vaxx before you ever get it, as a young child; but many of us oldsters actually had the pox, before there was a vaxx, and so we're at risk of getting Shingles, from our (childhood) pox episode, even to getting Shingles multiple times. Much like HPV - if you get the vaccine before you're ever exposed then you will most likely have immunity, but if you ever had, say, a cold sore, then you're at risk of additional episodes in the future, since (the similar/related) virus seems to set up shop in your body, forever. Given all of this, I understand that the current 2-shot regimen of Shingrex vaccine is very effective in preventing that latent virus from expressing as Shingles in the future. (IANA biochemist, so please forgive me if I've stated this inaccurately from a scientific perspective. LOL.)

    But based on my second-hand experience, Shingles really can be awful, and if you can possibly get the Shingrex vaccine, and reduce the likelihood of actually getting Shingles, that is a Very. Good. Thing. (I had a family member that committed suicide because of multiple, recurrent Shingles episodes, so that does factor into my opinion in my case, but no one I know has ever said that Shingles is "NBD.")
    Helpful M77 Rated helpful

  4. #24
    @calgal99
    You are exactly right. The virus is called Varicella Zoster. After having Chicken Pox, it stays in your spinal canal, and it is triggered by stress, and a few other things.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

  5. #25
    @calgal99
    PS: I’m in the same boat as you are. They didn’t have a Chicken Pox vaccine, when I was a kid. They actually promoted parents having you play with other kids that had it, so you would get it while you were a kid. Apparently, getting it as an adult has much more serious consequences, so they wanted you to catch it. All they had, in my childhood, was MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Smallpox, and thanks to Dr. Salk, Polio vaccine, which eradicated polio. How I got Chicken Pox twice, was so rare, my pediatrician asked my parents if he could write about it in the New England Journal of Medicine! I asked my mother if it was ever published, but she didn’t know.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    30,000 ft above sea level
    Posts
    869
    El Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant future

    Quote Originally Posted by DB Dicey View Post
    I was getting ready to roll up my sleeve at the pharmacy for $200 and then they told me id have to come back for a second one. Sticker shock and walked out.
    @DBDicey Thanks for your comments about the "new" SHINGRIX" 50mcg/0.5 ML Intramuscular Suspension "Kit", as my paper RX..
    states "Administer IM, repeat dose 2 to 6 months later. Refills x 1.............................................

    I went to my local Walgreen's Sat December 28, 2019, and, asked them if they had this specific vaccine, and they told me
    "sure" we got it, and as I pull out my wallet (as I am very used to the state I live in to present my photo ID drivers license,
    and, my Blue Cross Blue Shield, Insurance Card, and my credit card (Am Ex) they told me, geez, your Insurance card is
    expired, which, technically they were correct, as the BCBS card stated good thru 2018, and the funny thing.......................

    I have used this card the Blue Cross Blue Shield premium card all year long, like maybe 20 times, and no medical provider,
    has gone un paid thisparticularWALGREEN'S pharmacy I have used for the past, 10 or so years, and they have
    filled anything from Dex*drine to Amb*ien, this very year. BUT this time they request a BCBS card with a 2019 date, and
    I never actually received one, but I had my 2020 card on me, but of course, it didn't activate until Jan 1 2020, so after they
    checked their state PMP (prescription monitoring program) they saw I was good to go,

    Then, the same pharmacy clerk asks me I needed to show my social card? so far, I am polite, and I live in a high rise condo
    1/2 miles from WALGREEN's and I produce a official Social Security ID card inside the envelope, that was mailed to me, a
    re-issue from the year 2013.

    No, that was not good enough yet, they needed the newer issued card in a rainbow of red white and blue ( I guess for a
    retiree, such as me, (I think I got one quite recently but honestly misplaced it, so they told me, we will accommodate you
    right now, but it will not be free, because the BCBS (the premium Blue Medicare PPO "Enhanced") but they saw my
    Am Ex card, and told me we can administer the shot but each one will cost you out of pocket like $190.00 per shot. and,

    just chilled out, as I have had some other recent issues with Walgreens like, over riding my DEA licensed script for #30
    Amb*en or Zolp*dem with 2 RF's from a cocky young new pharmacist only last month, & I already knew those GD
    Insurance companies, placed a 90 day limit per year on a C-IV (laughable to me) as far as the addiction potential, but,
    I felt I should keep my cool, like, some late legendary movie star (Steve McQueen, etc) as this very pharmacy for the past
    3+ years has let me pay cash after my monthly limit expiring every March of each year, from older seasoned pharmacists.

    I decided, I am not going to play this game of paying almost US 200.00 for a shot I likely need, so I will, wait out this game,
    guess I will have to contact the US social security system to get my precious more recent red white and blue special issue SSAN.
    card. sorry for the long post just venting, as I have been thru 2 Fxxking audits after paying on time almost $20,000.00 and
    the IRS hit me up twice with a Audit for now almost $49,000 for tax year 2018. I am tired of all the damn regulations, and the

    restructuring of the tax laws, maybe I am a rebel at heart but I resent the our government and the authorities, fxxking around
    with the pain patients, from demonizing certain pain meds and, re-scheduling the V*cod*n from a CIII to a C-II and IMO the
    rescheduling of once patented Ultr*m better known as Tram*d*l, to a C-IV is ridiculous. I well remember when my ex a RN
    used to bring samples home from pharm reps by the dozen, in the mid 1990's !

    Now their game plan is to Fxxk around with the instant release stimulants for legit patients, with the FDA being useless, as the
    majority of todays meds often come from India, and are simply repackaged in their so called subsidiaries. (in some cases,not all
    cases) as I have seen this done over and over with a different career I was in way past 9/11/2001 by making shoddy products
    made in China, and our company big shotswould repackage them like the products came from a famous factory in Nashville TN USA.

    IMHO ultimately, if the products fall apart the consumer gets wise from a former great company who live off their reputation,,,,
    I personally know of a HIGH dollar company has ripping off customers for at least 10 years and another
    huge company, once from 99 Park Ave NYC with a huge branch @ 99 Church Street, where Abe Lincoln used to work & they have
    now shrunk from divisions in over 100 countries to only 7 left. (As I was once trained with them and years ago left before the
    major scandal began their slow downfall) end of my rant.

    everyone have a blessed and happy new year and be safe !!!
    Helpful M77, DB Dicey Rated helpful
    "Death is not the greatest loss for life. The greatest loss is what dies inside of us while we live"
    Norman Cousins

  7. #27
    @El Grandote
    Yeah, I just dealt with the same crap today. I went to fill my pk prescription, and they told me my insurance will only pay for 7 days. Period. I guess that makes sense. It is a monthly prescription. So I had to haul out the Amex, and pay for it. I already dealt with a similar thing, where they would only pay for a pk, if I took the one with Tylenol! So I have to pay out of pocket to not blow out my kidneys. These insurance companies should rot.

    That said, Happy and Healthy New Year to you too, and everyone else!
    Helpful El Grandote, Gullible Rated helpful
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Coast Boonies
    Posts
    1,197
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    @El Grandote, ain't "Insurance" the Best Thing, Evah???

    (I hate "Insurance." I want "Health Care," dammit!!) Yeah, I guess that should be my tagline, heh.
    Likes jakemoe liked this post

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Seattle, WA area in the USA
    Posts
    75
    SatAnanda will become famous soon enoughSatAnanda will become famous soon enoughSatAnanda will become famous soon enoughSatAnanda will become famous soon enough

    Quote Originally Posted by El Grandote View Post
    @DBDicey Thanks for your comments about the "new" SHINGRIX" 50mcg/0.5 ML Intramuscular Suspension "Kit", as my paper RX..
    states "Administer IM, repeat dose 2 to 6 months later. Refills x 1.............................................

    I went to my local Walgreen's Sat December 28, 2019, and, asked them if they had this specific vaccine, and they told me
    "sure" we got it, and as I pull out my wallet (as I am very used to the state I live in to present my photo ID drivers license,
    and, my Blue Cross Blue Shield, Insurance Card, and my credit card (Am Ex) they told me, geez, your Insurance card is
    expired, which, technically they were correct, as the BCBS card stated good thru 2018, and the funny thing.......................

    I have used this card the Blue Cross Blue Shield premium card all year long, like maybe 20 times, and no medical provider,
    has gone un paid thisparticularWALGREEN'S pharmacy I have used for the past, 10 or so years, and they have
    filled anything from Dex*drine to Amb*ien, this very year. BUT this time they request a BCBS card with a 2019 date, and
    I never actually received one, but I had my 2020 card on me, but of course, it didn't activate until Jan 1 2020, so after they
    checked their state PMP (prescription monitoring program) they saw I was good to go,

    Then, the same pharmacy clerk asks me I needed to show my social card? so far, I am polite, and I live in a high rise condo
    1/2 miles from WALGREEN's and I produce a official Social Security ID card inside the envelope, that was mailed to me, a
    re-issue from the year 2013.

    No, that was not good enough yet, they needed the newer issued card in a rainbow of red white and blue ( I guess for a
    retiree, such as me, (I think I got one quite recently but honestly misplaced it, so they told me, we will accommodate you
    right now, but it will not be free, because the BCBS (the premium Blue Medicare PPO "Enhanced") but they saw my
    Am Ex card, and told me we can administer the shot but each one will cost you out of pocket like $190.00 per shot. and,

    just chilled out, as I have had some other recent issues with Walgreens like, over riding my DEA licensed script for #30
    Amb*en or Zolp*dem with 2 RF's from a cocky young new pharmacist only last month, & I already knew those GD
    Insurance companies, placed a 90 day limit per year on a C-IV (laughable to me) as far as the addiction potential, but,
    I felt I should keep my cool, like, some late legendary movie star (Steve McQueen, etc) as this very pharmacy for the past
    3+ years has let me pay cash after my monthly limit expiring every March of each year, from older seasoned pharmacists.

    I decided, I am not going to play this game of paying almost US 200.00 for a shot I likely need, so I will, wait out this game,
    guess I will have to contact the US social security system to get my precious more recent red white and blue special issue SSAN.
    card. sorry for the long post just venting, as I have been thru 2 Fxxking audits after paying on time almost $20,000.00 and
    the IRS hit me up twice with a Audit for now almost $49,000 for tax year 2018. I am tired of all the damn regulations, and the

    restructuring of the tax laws, maybe I am a rebel at heart but I resent the our government and the authorities, fxxking around
    with the pain patients, from demonizing certain pain meds and, re-scheduling the V*cod*n from a CIII to a C-II and IMO the
    rescheduling of once patented Ultr*m better known as Tram*d*l, to a C-IV is ridiculous. I well remember when my ex a RN
    used to bring samples home from pharm reps by the dozen, in the mid 1990's !

    Now their game plan is to Fxxk around with the instant release stimulants for legit patients, with the FDA being useless, as the
    majority of todays meds often come from India, and are simply repackaged in their so called subsidiaries. (in some cases,not all
    cases) as I have seen this done over and over with a different career I was in way past 9/11/2001 by making shoddy products
    made in China, and our company big shotswould repackage them like the products came from a famous factory in Nashville TN USA.

    IMHO ultimately, if the products fall apart the consumer gets wise from a former great company who live off their reputation,,,,
    I personally know of a HIGH dollar company has ripping off customers for at least 10 years and another
    huge company, once from 99 Park Ave NYC with a huge branch @ 99 Church Street, where Abe Lincoln used to work & they have
    now shrunk from divisions in over 100 countries to only 7 left. (As I was once trained with them and years ago left before the
    major scandal began their slow downfall) end of my rant.

    everyone have a blessed and happy new year and be safe !!!
    Hopefully you are a rebel. You know who else were rebels Jesus and the Buddha so your in good company lol As for all of the regulations and limitations that are placed on us while inhabiting a human is a huge insult to freedom and the infinite essentially our truest self. But all is well and unfolding perfectly, all of the regulations and limitations that are placed on us are just that limited. They will not last. What I usually try and do when presented with a situation similar to the one you described, I try and look at it as an opportunity to not react. What I recently discovered was that it was never a situation that caused me to suffer but it was my reaction to a situation that caused me to suffer. So if I could control my reactions essentially I could end suffering within myself. I still find it difficult but continue to practice it when I find myself bin them. So from one rebel to another lol We must take back our freedom from those who insult it by not reacting to them
    Helpful El Grandote Rated helpful
    Likes M77 liked this post

  10. #30
    @El Grandote
    It is interesting how states differ in pharmacy rules. I have never been asked for a Social Security card ever, much less a newer type. But, you have mentioned that you are allowed refills. In my state, you cannot get more than a 30 day prescription for ANY controlled substance. Add to that, that a doctor cannot write another prescription without another visit. There are a few exceptions, but not with any PK’s. I have a relative that has ADHD, and they get Adderall. Same thing with no refills, but the doctor can give a new prescription, every 30 days, up to 90 days without another examination. Everything is electronic, as I have mentioned in other threads, so once they send the prescription to the selected pharmacy, it cannot be transferred, if they are out of stock.

    Believe it, or not, you aren’t even allowed to call and see if they have it in! The reason is so drug seeking criminals cannot verify if the item they seek is there for a burglary, or worse. The only loophole is, if a pharmacist knows you personally, and they aren’t too busy to come to the phone, they might tell you if you call. This really doesn’t help much, as the doctor isn’t going to sit there and wait for you to call multiple pharmacies. So, the only thing to do is use a big chain store, that is more likely to have stock, or can get it in a day or so. Sometimes they think your med is coming in a day, and it ends up not on the delivery truck for many days.

    Lastly, you can refill a non-controlled medication after 23 days. But not with any controlled medication, even schedule 5! If you get a 30 day supply, you cannot refill it until day 31. So you cannot even get a few extra, to prepare for an out of stock medication!
    Helpful El Grandote, Gullible Rated helpful
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    146
    liltiki2 is a jewel in the roughliltiki2 is a jewel in the roughliltiki2 is a jewel in the roughliltiki2 is a jewel in the roughliltiki2 is a jewel in the roughliltiki2 is a jewel in the roughliltiki2 is a jewel in the roughliltiki2 is a jewel in the rough

    @El Grandote
    'over riding my DEA licensed script for #30
    Amb*en or Zolp*dem with 2 RF's from a cocky young new pharmacist only last month, "
    I should have seen this thread earlier, I thought I was the only one this happened to. Did my mom & pop pharmacy lie to me?:
    Early December I went to my Mom & Pops to get a refill on Zolpo and was told THEY had a yearly limit (the pharmacy). They can fill it the 27th, they will have it back in stock they said. Sounds weird but okay, so I called around to transfer the script but called re: stock and no one had this in stock but electronically transfered to Walgreens. Stupid of me I know, all hell broke loose, they called the doctor (he was fine and said fill it) and then I got a call from some pharmacy nazi and felt lectured to and agh it was awful. I never got the refill it is stuck at walgreens. I don't know if they had any in stock they wouldn't tell me.
    SO I asked the doc (I told him the situation, that there was a 'shortage' First time he heard about it) for an extended release script of Z. I went to mom & pops on the 27th with the new script & I got the same runaround. No stock, couldn't fill because of THEIR limit which was 1/13. She originally told me 12/27. Hmmmm.... I did get the Z ER one filled with no problem walking into a CVS. But now I'm concerned that I reset some kind of C4 internal clock. I hate the extended release.
    Sorry to hijack.
    I got the series of shingle vaccines thru kaiser and wasn't charged. They said 'no one asks for it'. This last one negates the last years' single shot, apparently it was useless.
    Helpful El Grandote Rated helpful

  12. only medicare part d pays for the shingles shots too folks. i did have chicken pox but haven't really worried about shingles. i didn't worry about the flu, either, and of course, I succumbed. lesson learned?

  13. #33
    @liltiki2
    Believe it, or not, they weren’t making that up. The government rations all controlled substances. It usually surfaces at the end of the year. I use a big chain, and for something like the last ten years, at the end of November, and all of December, I get “we are out of stock.” This happens all year, but at the end of every year, when I ask when they will have it, I have been told “no idea.” I think the reason is they just don’t feel like spending the time to explain the rationing program. I get that, because they usually are too busy to have a dialog over something they have no control over, and probably causes them to have plenty of angry customers. As I mentioned, my state is full electronically submitted prescriptions, and my doctor is less than thrilled when I have to call, and ask for it to be sent to another pharmacy. We cannot transfer any controlled prescriptions, so it has to be resent to another pharmacy. Total nightmare. I had to pick up my PK prescription on 12/31, and I was so happy they had it (the last three months they had to order) that I didn’t even care that my insurance would only pay for 7 days.

    I can understand paying for 7 days, if it is a new prescription for something like a tooth extraction. You know, the insurance companies have to help stop the “crisis.” But a medication, for chronic pain, is now 7 days only? I get 30 days every month. But you can’t expect them to let a crisis go to waste.
    Helpful El Grandote Rated helpful
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

  14. Has anybody encountered an age threshold for the shingles vaccine? I had a shingles outbreak relatively young. It was so painless, I didn't even believe the doctor that it was shingles at first. I thought I'd been bitten by an insect, since it was just a bump on my eyebrow. So I take the Valtrex (which cleared it up in a day) and I take the gabapentin (which helps prevent post-herpetic neuralgia, the REALLY painful post-shingles condition).

    But they won't give me the vaccine. My insurance will cover it. I've ALREADY had an outbreak. But no doctor will give me the vaccine until I hit 50. Then I hit 50 and they've upped the age threshold to 60!

    The doctor can't explain why, just says it's not recommended before that age. I'm thinking this is some bullshit. The vaccine would prevent more outbreaks, which typically worsen the older you get and the more often you get them. I also had it near my eye, which can cause blindness.
    Likes Stevo1, Mrs Parker liked this post

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Very North East
    Posts
    958
    Stevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant future

    Quote Originally Posted by nobknee View Post
    Has anybody encountered an age threshold for the shingles vaccine? I had a shingles outbreak relatively young. It was so painless, I didn't even believe the doctor that it was shingles at first. I thought I'd been bitten by an insect, since it was just a bump on my eyebrow. So I take the Valtrex (which cleared it up in a day) and I take the gabapentin (which helps prevent post-herpetic neuralgia, the REALLY painful post-shingles condition).

    But they won't give me the vaccine. My insurance will cover it. I've ALREADY had an outbreak. But no doctor will give me the vaccine until I hit 50. Then I hit 50 and they've upped the age threshold to 60!

    The doctor can't explain why, just says it's not recommended before that age. I'm thinking this is some bullshit. The vaccine would prevent more outbreaks, which typically worsen the older you get and the more often you get them. I also had it near my eye, which can cause blindness.
    You were extremely lucky!!
    Shingles on your eyebrow can be very bad.
    It can go into your eye & cause Blindness.
    I know because I had shingles on my eyebrow at age 55. Lucky for Us both!!
    The Doctors were freaking out. They had me coming in every day for 2 or weeks.
    I was miserable & in a Lot of pain
    It is rare for young people to get shingles, most young kids get chickenpox.
    To get shingles you must have had Chickenpox in the past. After the virus runs it course it is stored in the small of your back, to possibly re-emerging as Shingles in the future, which you can get more then once & in the same place. Then there are people that have chronic shingles and the virus might show up yearly or whenever & in the same place.
    Last edited by Stevo1; 01-18-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    Helpful Mrs Parker, Gullible Rated helpful
    Stare into my Avatar....Relax

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Coast Boonies
    Posts
    1,197
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by nobknee View Post
    Has anybody encountered an age threshold for the shingles vaccine? I had a shingles outbreak relatively young. It was so painless, I didn't even believe the doctor that it was shingles at first. I thought I'd been bitten by an insect, since it was just a bump on my eyebrow. So I take the Valtrex (which cleared it up in a day) and I take the gabapentin (which helps prevent post-herpetic neuralgia, the REALLY painful post-shingles condition).

    But they won't give me the vaccine. My insurance will cover it. I've ALREADY had an outbreak. But no doctor will give me the vaccine until I hit 50. Then I hit 50 and they've upped the age threshold to 60!

    The doctor can't explain why, just says it's not recommended before that age. I'm thinking this is some bullshit. The vaccine would prevent more outbreaks, which typically worsen the older you get and the more often you get them. I also had it near my eye, which can cause blindness.
    Hey, @nobknee, a lot of this depends on your doctor - I told MY Doc (in no uncertain terms) that I had a family history of shingles at fairly young ages, and then I pushed him to okay the vaxx (the older one, as it happened) making a big deal about how I didn't want to endure what the rest of my family had to, etc. I was pushy as hell, tbh, I basically bullied him into approving it - it worked! (Not like I was a "drug-seeking" patient, lol.) Now, I'm over the age recommendation for the newer 2-dose Shingrex, so I got those with minimal issues, only related to availability of the vaxx.

    [Edit] Don't hesitate to be a PITA for this kind of preventive treatment!!!
    Last edited by calgal99; 01-18-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Helpful Mrs Parker Rated helpful

  17.  
    Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Shingles
    By Nickel in forum Other drugs and health issues
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 03:22 PM
  2. Is shingles bad when you have an autoimmune disease
    By ahottie4u in forum Immunosuppressive drugs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Protected by Copyscape CopySentry. Do not copy.