Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shingles

Default Shingles

Not sure if this is the right place for this post so if anyone would like me to move it, let me know.
    What I would like to know is, does anyone here have reoccurring shingles? I had my initial attack some years ago, can't remember exactly when it was, around 2012?
    Since then I sometimes get a rash on the original site which usually settles without too much trouble. This time though, it's come back with a vengeance. Burning pain, very itchy pimple like rash, can't sleep on that side, lifting my foot/leg sends shooting pain, etc.
    Nothing like the pain a lot of people with shingles suffer by any means. My mother, for one, who was pretty tough when it came to pain, ended up bedridden and was finally put on oxy's for it.
    Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?
    Helpful CrayonBox Rated helpful

KarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud ofKarMar has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by trish5959 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this post so if anyone would like me to move it, let me know.
    What I would like to know is, does anyone here have reoccurring shingles? I had my initial attack some years ago, can't remember exactly when it was, around 2012?
    Since then I sometimes get a rash on the original site which usually settles without too much trouble. This time though, it's come back with a vengeance. Burning pain, very itchy pimple like rash, can't sleep on that side, lifting my foot/leg sends shooting pain, etc.
    Nothing like the pain a lot of people with shingles suffer by any means. My mother, for one, who was pretty tough when it came to pain, ended up bedridden and was finally put on oxy's for it.
    Me!
    Lol it’s not funny but I totally relate. I get it on my shin and have had it twice in 8 years. It’s very painful, hot to touch and pimpley and hot to touch. I was given a strong antibiotic and oxys. They actually thought it was mrsa or cellulitis prior. I just remember how wiped out and throw uppy I got. I was lowkey going crazy because it messed with my body so much.
    RIP Pangaea my one and only
    The BGThe DB

3. Quote Originally Posted by trish5959 View Post
    Yes , this sounds like Shingles for sure. Had it twice. Blisters, do not touch. Do not get near a child or anyone who has been without a them being vaccinated for Chicken Pox or ever having them also. Get some meds as soon as possible they have meds to stop it if you act soon enough. Trust your instincts. Awfully painful for many.
    My best to you

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I am really ill right now. Hope this made sense.
    Helpful Binky, Mrs Parker, trish5959 Rated helpful
    Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Yep. Sounds like shingles to me too. The good news is you don't have to suffer! Get to a dr asap. They will likely give you
    something in the Valcyclovir family, possibly antibiotics, and possibly pain meds. If you can take it, Valcyclovir is your friend!
    It'll make a huge difference. My doc squared me away with an ongoing script so if it ever comes back, I can lay hands on
    relief in a no time at all instead of suffering or waiting for a doctor's appointment! Good luck and I sure feel for ya!
    Helpful trish5959, DB Dicey Rated helpful
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, b_tches!

Thanks all. Because it's a re occurrence I've been somewhat stupid and been putting up with it rather than going to doctor as thought there was nothing they could do! Talk about dim. Will see doctor today although might be a bit late as it's been about four days.
    I have had the sense not to go near anyone just in case, especially concerned for anyone young or elderly.
    @Pokie9999 - sorry to hear you're feeling so ill. Hoping things get better soon and thinking of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokie1999 View Post
    Yes , this sounds like Shingles for sure. Had it twice. Blisters, do not touch. Do not get near a child or anyone who has been without a them being vaccinated for Chicken Pox or ever having them also. Get some meds as soon as possible they have meds to stop it if you act soon enough. Trust your instincts. Awfully painful for many.
    My best to you

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I am really ill right now. Hope this made sense.
    I see I've been very clever (yet again) in not being able to highlight your name @Pokie9999. Please do let us know what your problem is - or if you'vet told it elsewhere - it's awful to read of a fellow poster feeling ill.

Treatments include pain relief and antiviral medications such as acyclovir or valacyclovir. Like a chickenpox vaccine in childhood or a shingles vaccine as an adult can or will minimize the risk of developing shingles learn a lot by going through shingles myself
    Helpful trish5959 Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
    Treatments include pain relief and antiviral medications such as acyclovir or valacyclovir. Like a chickenpox vaccine in childhood or a shingles vaccine as an adult can or will minimize the risk of developing shingles learn a lot by going through shingles myself
    Thanks @blueboy. As I said above, I simply didn't take it seriously enough this time. Thought it would go away in a couple of days whereas I realise it's been a week now. Couldn't get to see anyone yesterday - weekend, booked out etc - and wonder if it's too late for antiviral now?
    I read different reasons for shingles occurring and while I'm loathe to go down the 'stress' route (it all too often seems to be the catch all phrase) the last couple of months in particular could definitely fit into that category.
    Can't complain too much as I've seen people suffering way more pain than this.
    Helpful blueboy Rated helpful
    Likes Mrs Parker liked this post

Thanks @blueboy. As I said above, I simply didn't take it seriously enough this time. Thought it would go away in a couple of days whereas I realise it's been a week now. Couldn't get to see anyone yesterday - weekend, booked out etc - and wonder if it's too late for antiviral now?
    I read different reasons for shingles occurring and while I'm loathe to go down the 'stress' route (it all too often seems to be the catch all phrase) the last couple of months in particular could definitely fit into that category.
    Can't complain too much as I've seen people suffering way more pain than this.
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor if anti-virals might help, even at this later stage.
    You might also want to ask if you are eligible to get the shingles vaccine.
    I've heard that the new one is far more effective than previous versions and, if I remember
    correctly, it's a 'one and done' kind. If you can't get the vaccine,
    you might want to ask your doc if they'd be willing to Rx you antivirals to keep on hand for
    next time. That helps a bunch.
    Helpful trish5959 Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Parker View Post
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor if anti-virals might help, even at this later stage.
    You might also want to ask if you are eligible to get the shingles vaccine.
    I've heard that the new one is far more effective than previous versions and, if I remember
    correctly, it's a 'one and done' kind. If you can't get the vaccine,
    you might want to ask your doc if they'd be willing to Rx you antivirals to keep on hand for
    next time. That helps a bunch.
    You are a fount of information @Mrs Parker and I'm sure there are many of us here who appreciate your generosity and knowledge.
    I fully admit that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to my health which has also contributed to my not seeking help with this latest episode.
    Thanks so much again.

Shingles have ended up to be quite bad. Can hardly sit, walk, burning pain in my right hip that spreads down into my groin and across into my spine. Can only sleep on my left side or on my back with my right leg up.
    Been to see two doctors, and just getting there was a problem, driving is tricky. Neither of much use. One gave me an OTC gel and the other Lyzalaon capsules that should help with the nerve pain. Nothing that would help here and now for the pain. Apparently it's a wait and see situation. In desperation, I've taken another tramadol this morning as the early morning is the worst.
    Will post later as can't really concentrate at the moment.

12. Sorry to hear. I've only had shingles once after passing of a family member. This was when I was 26 (quite young for that age) Luckily it has never reoccurred.
    Likes trish5959 liked this post

I realise I've been a total fool for not taking this bout of shingles more seriously. The initial rash was so minor and as I've had it several times before I didn't think much of it.
    What really ticks me off is that our government - Australia - is such a nanny state that they've even taken codeine off the over the counter list so you now need to go to the doctor for a script. Not only does this cost money but the doctors are now very reluctant to prescribe. I could barely walk or sit when I saw two doctors this week and when I asked for something to help with the pain, they said there was no need as what they had given me would help. What a joke!
    Thank God I had some trams. They at least dulled the pain enough that I got some sleep.

I am really at my wits end. I emailed my sister yesterday to say I was having a bad case of shingles, this morning she rings to question me about what doctors I've been seeing, whether I should go back to seeing one I was with years ago, how her doctor has her notes to which I said, so do mine but as there is a revolving list of doctors each one has their own take on things, on and on it went until I was in tears.
    It simply amazes me that people who profess to love me just can't be supportive and loving. That's all that needs to be said.

El Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant futureEl Grandote has a brilliant future

I am really at my wits end. I emailed my sister yesterday to say I was having a bad case of shingles, this morning she rings to question me about what doctors I've been seeing, whether I should go back to seeing one I was with years ago, how her doctor has her notes to which I said, so do mine but as there is a revolving list of doctors each one has their own take on things, on and on it went until I was in tears.
    It simply amazes me that people who profess to love me just can't be supportive and loving. That's all that needs to be said.
    @trish5959 @Mrs Parker "I realize the last few posts are about one year and four months old" I had my annual physical, in August of 2019, and my new PCP (primary
    care physician" prescribed me (without my requesting so) a hand written RX for this drug "SHINGRIX (PF) 50 MCG/0.5 ML INTRAMUSCULAR SUSPENSION, KIT" for me to
    take to any USA pharmacy, for the pharmacy on duty, to administer, this, I.M shot, for ICD-10 code Z23 (Encounter for immunization) administer IM, repeat dose, 2 to
    6 months later. QTY: 0.t M Refills one DAW: NO

I have now qualified for USA BCBS Medicare Part A, B, C, & D. The Doc told me it would save me a lot of $$ to get this preventive shot. (as well as my occasional Flu shot) at
    my local pharmacy of my choice.

The question I have is this: are there many side effects? (as I have no symptoms) but in my adult history, I have had from the years around 2004 to 2014 of less severe
    skin allergies, from a AMA board certified Dematologist,sp? and once by a well known USA medical M.D (the head of a allergy clinic) I much later discovered by the year in
    early 2014, that I was having multiple DX;s of facial and scalp issues, that required, large doses of such things as Prednisone, daily, Vistaril/Atarax, brand name for generic
    hydroxyzine, and, also, the former brand name of Allegra 180 mg daily, for (in short what new testing in 2014 discovered I was highly allergic to ANY KIND OF HAIR DYE,
    after even the last 6 months of KENOLOG I.M shots in my hip, I saw the results of the 2014 tests, and I gave up dying my hair a deep dark jet back & moustache, for US
    $150.00 for about ten years.

My symptoms disappeared almost overnight ! The various dyes I had tried was 100% of my problem. Does any PR members here have tried a dose X 2 of this preventive
    for "Shingles" which I don't remember ever having this DX? (I have had zero use of any anti allergy medications in over 5 1/2 years now). Is there a difference
    in BRAND name SHRINGRIX vs a possible generic substitute ? (just a tad anxious about side effects) .....................I thank you in advance........................................

former DX's from dying my hair from the year late 1990's every 30 days until March of 2014.

DSM-IV Vasomotor Rhinitis 477.9 these 4 (four DX"S) were given to me to me on June 08, 2005 by the year 2007 a 5th DX was added Rosacea. (mild).
    " " Angioedema, Allergic with Urticaria 995.1
    " " Pruritus, Unspecified 698.9
    " " Urticaria, Unspecified 708.1
    "Death is not the greatest loss for life. The greatest loss is what dies inside of us while we live"
    Norman Cousins

16. Quote Originally Posted by El Grandote View Post
    @trish5959 @Mrs Parker "I realize the last few posts are about one year and four months old" I had my annual physical, in August of 2019, and my new PCP (primary
    care physician" prescribed me (without my requesting so) a hand written RX for this drug "SHINGRIX (PF) 50 MCG/0.5 ML INTRAMUSCULAR SUSPENSION, KIT" for me to
    take to any USA pharmacy, for the pharmacy on duty, to administer, this, I.M shot, for ICD-10 code Z23 (Encounter for immunization) administer IM, repeat dose, 2 to
    6 months later. QTY: 0.t M Refills one DAW: NO

I have now qualified for USA BCBS Medicare Part A, B, C, & D. The Doc told me it would save me a lot of $$ to get this preventive shot. (as well as my occasional Flu shot) at
    my local pharmacy of my choice.

The question I have is this: are there many side effects? (as I have no symptoms) but in my adult history, I have had from the years around 2004 to 2014 of less severe
    skin allergies, from a AMA board certified Dematologist,sp? and once by a well known USA medical M.D (the head of a allergy clinic) I much later discovered by the year in
    early 2014, that I was having multiple DX;s of facial and scalp issues, that required, large doses of such things as Prednisone, daily, Vistaril/Atarax, brand name for generic
    hydroxyzine, and, also, the former brand name of Allegra 180 mg daily, for (in short what new testing in 2014 discovered I was highly allergic to ANY KIND OF HAIR DYE,
    after even the last 6 months of KENOLOG I.M shots in my hip, I saw the results of the 2014 tests, and I gave up dying my hair a deep dark jet back & moustache, for US
    $150.00 for about ten years.

My symptoms disappeared almost overnight ! The various dyes I had tried was 100% of my problem. Does any PR members here have tried a dose X 2 of this preventive
    for "Shingles" which I don't remember ever having this DX? (I have had zero use of any anti allergy medications in over 5 1/2 years now). Is there a difference
    in BRAND name SHRINGRIX vs a possible generic substitute ? (just a tad anxious about side effects) .....................I thank you in advance........................................

former DX's from dying my hair from the year late 1990's every 30 days until March of 2014.

DSM-IV Vasomotor Rhinitis 477.9 these 4 (four DX"S) were given to me to me on June 08, 2005 by the year 2007 a 5th DX was added Rosacea. (mild).
    " " Angioedema, Allergic with Urticaria 995.1
    " " Pruritus, Unspecified 698.9
    " " Urticaria, Unspecified 708.1
    I can't speak to possible side effects to the med. given your particular medical history, but after my second shingles go around since this
    thread was started, I can can tell you, I'd be crawling over broken glass to get that vaccine! Your mileage may vary, of course,
    but I would call your doctor and tell them everything you wrote here and see if there is anything that is contraindicated or might present
    problems! Otherwise, from what I've heard anecdotally, this new vaccine is the bomb!

(Bear in mind that that the plural form of anecdotal evidence is not data, but my mom had no problem with it and her body
    is in rough shape right now from breast cancer treatments.)

If you get it, or if your doctor says it might be a better idea not to, will you keep us posted on what you decide and how to works out for ya?
    Good luck to you!
    Helpful El Grandote, Gullible Rated helpful
    Likes calgal99 liked this post

My medicare discount for the new vaccine amounted to about $8 a shot. 2 shots required...I think about [email protected] I had the old vaccine. I can afford it, but cant get myself to pull the trigger.
    Helpful El Grandote Rated helpful

calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by DB Dicey View Post
    My medicare discount for the new vaccine amounted to about $8 a shot. 2 shots required...I think about [email protected] I had the old vaccine. I can afford it, but cant get myself to pull the trigger.
    @DB Dicey (et.al.), I also had the old vaccine, and subjected myself (!) to the current two-shot regimen this year (at a net copay of $0, but I would have certainly paid a lot more real money, had it been necessary!!) The newest vaccine really does have a higher "success rate" than even the older shot from a couple of years ago, and even a mild case of shingles is something that I, at least, would like to avoid at almost any cost...

I've been in touch with a lot of folks who did the current two-dose Shingrex vaccination, and some of them had a fairly strong reaction to one/both shots (like, feeling very sore, or like they were having a touch of the flu) but my own experience was only a mildly painful upper arm, which I treated with a day of OTC (Advil) and a good workout at the gym, both times. However, in my family, all of my other older relatives have already had shingles, and in most cases a "bad case," so I don't want to ever have to even try my own luck here. I didn't even ask my Dr., I just got the new shots when they were available at the local pharmacy (so not even a Dr visit copay, here.) YMMV, of course.
    Helpful El Grandote, Mrs Parker, DB Dicey Rated helpful

Upon googling, medicare doent seem to kick in until you hit your deductible, which I never do, thus $400 out of pocket for new duo of shots.
    Helpful calgal99, El Grandote Rated helpful

calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by DB Dicey View Post
    Upon googling, medicare doent seem to kick in until you hit your deductible, which I never do, thus $400 out of pocket for new duo of shots.
    Oh man @DB Dicey, that truly suxxx... But, IMHO, even at $400 oop, I might consider putting aside some $$ to get the shots - as I noted, everyone else in my (extended) family has had shingles at least once, and one has had neurological syndrome for many years afterwards... I'd actually pay any reasonable amount (like, a couple of IOP orders' worth, heh. ) to avoid that level of pain and incapacitation.

That said, I don't understand our medical insurance system in the USA at all!! How is it that these vaccines are covered by my (BCBS) insurance, but not by Medicare? (Or is it Medicaid?) I know, that's just a generic question, I actually thought that the ACA added these kinds of preventive vaccines for everyone across the board, but clearly I was wrong. Gah, I hate "insurance!!!" I want "medical care," dammit!!!
    Helpful El Grandote Rated helpful
    Likes DB Dicey liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast