Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open letter from a chronic pain patient

blueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud of

@Bawston, you know, with the way things have tightened up, access to PKs by any route, legal or otherwise, becomes more difficult on nearly a daily basis. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to find someone had taken a job in the medical field as a way to gain access, and you gotta figure there is much less supervision in the veterinary world--no HIPPA to deal with, for one thing. Electronic prescription tracking is done according to people, not the drugs, right? So that also would be a major loophole.

About 30 years ago I had a beautiful border collie who suffered from epilepsy, and for a long time she was medicated with phenobarbital. It was a low level dose but daily, and couldn't be stopped abruptly. So when her meds were mislaid during a move, I was in a panic, almost in tears, as I told my sad story to my new pharmacist in the little town I'd just moved to. She was reluctant but compassionate, and finally agreed to give me enough pills to get my pup thru the weekend while I got in touch with my vet. She did tell me she could get in a world of trouble if I told anybody about it, but she gave me the pills nonetheless--IIRC, she did not charge me for them Even way back then I had the sense to be very thankful. Can you imagine that happening today? Both the pharmacist and I would be arrested on the spot, probably!
    Helpful Bawston, Gullible Rated helpful
    Likes jakemoe, bluu liked this post
    Like a Bolt from the Blue!

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Dexter Smith is offline Banned Reason: Multiple forum accounts not allowed
    Dexter Smith will become famous soon enoughDexter Smith will become famous soon enough

my friend Andrew have chronic pain issue. after young age injury his body keep hurting weeks, months. but the current doctor discovered chronic diseases or infections can also cause chronic pain like arthritis, diabetes, shingles etc. treatment is still going on. god bless him long life.
    what i believe is if over-the-counter drugs do not provide relief, your doctor may prescribe stronger medications, such as muscle relaxants, anti-anxiety drugs.
    Regards,
    dexter.
    Likes jakemoe liked this post

Bawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant future

@blueroan17... excellent point about no HIPPA and no drug database for dogs. Waaay back I actually had the same sort of situation with my oxy prescription. Pharmacist knew me and my prescription pattern - in this case it was my own fault because the drug was not any big deal then. Anyway he gave me a weekend supply on the promise that I'd go get the written script and bring it in which of course I did.

Good point about someone taking a job that has access to the database. Believe me, I've even thought through if I know anyone who's a pharmacy cashier and who could just tell me which doctor is prescribing. They don't even need access to the database - just look at the slip on the outside that says what the med is & who the prescribing doctor is.

Technically the database is secure because you need a special login & it tracks who logged in & when but the info isn't secure. Tomorrow I'm going to my neurologist & when I check in they will hand me a clipboard w/all my prescriptions listed & ask me to verify it. Now some admin printed that out for the day's appointments, put them on clipboards, and they sit all day in a pile for when each patient comes in. That's not privacy!
    Likes blueroan17 liked this post

As required by the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act of 2016 (CARA), the public has an opportunity to provide comments on the Draft Report on Pain Management Best Practices: Updates, Gaps, Inconsistencies, and Recommendations (Draft Report) during this 90 day public comment period. The Pain Management Best Practices Inter-Agency Task Force developed the Draft Report which identified gaps or inconsistencies, and proposed updates to best practices and recommendations for pain management, including chronic and acute pain as required by CARA.

https://www.hhs.gov/ash/advisory-com...rts/index.html
    Likes heliarc, jakemoe liked this post

It makes me feel like I am under a microscope and a criminal even when I am following their rules. It seems to me like it is a no work in situation, I am going in circles. I firmly believe this political “war on drugs” is pointing in the wrong direction and patients are suffering. I may be wrong who can say. It crosses my mind that maybe my thinking is off base. To be honest I just want to be comfortable and I want that for everyone without a label being attached.
    Last edited by Peaceful Rose; 01-15-2019 at 12:44 AM.
    Likes jakemoe liked this post

Bawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant futureBawston has a brilliant future

@DW4210...chronic pain patients ARE under the microscope as are any doctor, particularly primary care who try to help them.

Today I go for my required 3 month face to face with my doctor to continue my script. I'm going to just go down to one lousy 10 mg pill per day after which I'll continue to taper and hoard some for emergencies. Why am I doing this when I could probably have continued with my 60 mg/day? Because at some point in my state they're going to outlaw primary care doctors from treating chronic pain with opioids and force us all to drive twice the time and distance to a pain center which will require monthly visits, urine samples, and force shots on you instead of effective pain med prescriptions.

I'll probably be moving in the near future and there is no way a new primary would continue even if they had my records/history.

So, I'd rather do this on my own, on my own terms and just be done with jumping through hoops and being blamed, personally, little,old me all by myself...for the opioid non-CRISIS.

My doctor also told me that another doctor she works with took on chronic pain patients who couldn't get help from any other doctors. Every month he gets warning letters from the state attorney gerneral's office saying that he is prescribing at a higher rate than other primary care doctors.

Well duh!!! No other doctors are prescribing!
    Helpful grannyof2boys, jaders Rated helpful
    Likes jakemoe, Mrs Parker liked this post

Interesting that I just had my 3 month required check in with my primary care as required by law and everything was going alone fine until she TOLD me that after a short period of time, that my prescription no longer helped me with the pain. Oookay...

I know we've been over this and I've given her all kinds of stats and different studies from the ONE class she took on pain meds (her class was on how to get patients off the meds, not what works or helps). Anyway I just looked at her & said "you're citing ONE study that's got NO corroboration and here I am sitting right in front of you telling you that having reduced my dosage by 2/3 my pain level has dramatically increased...yet you believe that study rather than me?"

Then she suddenly reverted back to her spiel from 6 months ago about they're being told to send patients to clinics, etc etc and that we've got to find SOME way to get me off these.

And she explained that finally my state has allowed them to send the prescription to the pharmacy electronically, which she did and because she was so concerned with a study rather than my well being, I didn't bother telling her I've cut down to 1 pill per day. So that'll give me an extra 28 day backup for when I break a leg and they tell me to take Tylenol.
    Likes jakemoe, Mrs Parker, Anne Onomis, jaders liked this post

jakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of light

@Bawston, I love hearing when a patient has a secret advantage over a doctor! Even though it's a small advantage, it's such a positive for us in this dystopian prescribing age. My advice would be to never tell her you've cut down to one pill per day. I've been cut off before and thanked my lucky stars that I had backup so I could taper and avoid withdrawal.
    F**k the DEA

Quote Originally Posted by jakemoe View Post
    @Bawston, I love hearing when a patient has a secret advantage over a doctor! Even though it's a small advantage, it's such a positive for us in this dystopian prescribing age. My advice would be to never tell her you've cut down to one pill per day. I've been cut off before and thanked my lucky stars that I had backup so I could taper and avoid withdrawal.
    @jakemoe...I'm going to let it go at least until the next refill now that it can be done electronically & I don't have to spend half a day driving to pick up a paper copy but at some point I want out because of all the BS in my state with required check ins and "donating" urine samples. That's the one that just fries my butt!

If someone has consistently tested positive for what they SHOULD have and negative for what they shouldn't, and their prescription not only hasn't gone UP but DOWN...do you think we could stop wasting money on stupid tests? Thing is I keep a script for my fioricet and of course it tests positive but for some reason for that one in particular they run a special (expensive) additional scan and of course it comes back with the butalbital which is in the fioricet.

I'm not paying for the tests as I'm on Medicare but it's interesting that I've never seen any EOB from them or my supplemental. Only thing I can figure is because my state's gone so overboard that they've got some special fund they pay these tests out of cause they're not going through my insurance.

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    Interesting that I just had my 3 month required check in with my primary care as required by law and everything was going alone fine until she TOLD me that after a short period of time, that my prescription no longer helped me with the pain. Oookay...

I know we've been over this and I've given her all kinds of stats and different studies from the ONE class she took on pain meds (her class was on how to get patients off the meds, not what works or helps). Anyway I just looked at her & said "you're citing ONE study that's got NO corroboration and here I am sitting right in front of you telling you that having reduced my dosage by 2/3 my pain level has dramatically increased...yet you believe that study rather than me?"

Then she suddenly reverted back to her spiel from 6 months ago about they're being told to send patients to clinics, etc etc and that we've got to find SOME way to get me off these.

And she explained that finally my state has allowed them to send the prescription to the pharmacy electronically, which she did and because she was so concerned with a study rather than my well being, I didn't bother telling her I've cut down to 1 pill per day. So that'll give me an extra 28 day backup for when I break a leg and they tell me to take Tylenol.
    Again, this post just makes me so crazy I want to do SOMETHING, but what? Doctors all of a sudden ONLY CARE that you GET OFF a med that helped for YEARS, with nothing to replace it with, and no thought other than, STOP TAKING THAT MED. You can "self report" that the med works. You've done absolutely NOTHING wrong, and yet... Our government has lost its mind and the doctors are not pushing back enough, fer Chris' sake. The fact that your doctor's colleague is actually going out on a limb for pain folks tho is sure something to admire!
    Helpful Bawston Rated helpful
    Likes Anne Onomis, jakemoe, Mrs Parker liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

blueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by jaders View Post
    Again, this post just makes me so crazy I want to do SOMETHING, but what? Doctors all of a sudden ONLY CARE that you GET OFF a med that helped for YEARS, with nothing to replace it with, and no thought other than, STOP TAKING THAT MED. You can "self report" that the med works. You've done absolutely NOTHING wrong, and yet... Our government has lost its mind and the doctors are not pushing back enough, fer Chris' sake. The fact that your doctor's colleague is actually going out on a limb for pain folks tho is sure something to admire!
    That last sentence is a heartbreaker: the doctor's colleague IS behaving admirably, but how shameful that treating patients adequately, with medication that works to alleviate their pain, requires so much bravery on the doctor's part. Unfortunately, I believe he or she is risking everything. I'm afraid those letters from the state's attorney general are only the beginning of the harassment to come.
    Likes jakemoe, Bawston, Mrs Parker liked this post
    Like a Bolt from the Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by blueroan17 View Post
    That last sentence is a heartbreaker: the doctor's colleague IS behaving admirably, but how shameful that treating patients adequately, with medication that works to alleviate their pain, requires so much bravery on the doctor's part. Unfortunately, I believe he or she is risking everything. I'm afraid those letters from the state's attorney general are only the beginning of the harassment to come.
    @blueroan17... I agree that this doctor is probably going to get his license yanked the minute one of his patients dies and a family member blames him and sues. Like I've said, you can do a lot with stats and make them prove whatever your point is to win an argument. Like doctors at the very top hospitals in Boston are constantly getting scrutinized and sued because they're the ones able and willing to take on the riskiest patients with conditions that no other doctor is trained or capable of treating/performing surgery on.

They're sued because a family member doesn't like the outcome rather than true malpractice. I'm all for being able to go after a doctor for malpractice but juries sometimes aren't qualified to determine the difference.

It reminds me exactly of how we got to this place with pain prescriptions. A lot of middle and higher income parents didn't like the fact that their kids stole their prescriptions, partied hard at a friend's house and OD', and went on to get even better highs. These parents needed someone to blame so...doctors & pharma. Where was the outrage when black kids in the ghetto had a problem with crack?

I also think that every person in a recovery program just happens to have gotten hooked on heroin because of a pain med from a sports injury.
    Likes jaders, Mrs Parker, Anne Onomis liked this post

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    @blueroan17... I agree that this doctor is probably going to get his license yanked the minute one of his patients dies and a family member blames him and sues. Like I've said, you can do a lot with stats and make them prove whatever your point is to win an argument. Like doctors at the very top hospitals in Boston are constantly getting scrutinized and sued because they're the ones able and willing to take on the riskiest patients with conditions that no other doctor is trained or capable of treating/performing surgery on.

They're sued because a family member doesn't like the outcome rather than true malpractice. I'm all for being able to go after a doctor for malpractice but juries sometimes aren't qualified to determine the difference.

It reminds me exactly of how we got to this place with pain prescriptions. A lot of middle and higher income parents didn't like the fact that their kids stole their prescriptions, partied hard at a friend's house and OD', and went on to get even better highs. These parents needed someone to blame so...doctors & pharma. Where was the outrage when black kids in the ghetto had a problem with crack?

I also think that every person in a recovery program just happens to have gotten hooked on heroin because of a pain med from a sports injury.
    That’s the ticket. If we just get rid of ALL sports, viola - no more heroin problem...
    Likes Bawston, bluu, Mrs Parker, Anne Onomis liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    When this "Opioid Crisis" first came along, the news channels would show doctors being brought out in handcuffs from their clinics for prescribing too many opioids. I'm sure their intention was to have doctors see what could happen to them if they kept prescribing opioids. For many doctors, the easy solution is to not prescribe any opioids at all and ignore those with chronic, life-long pain
    Last edited by snowy; 01-18-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    Helpful Hymee, Gullible, Anne Onomis Rated helpful
    Likes Bawston, Mrs Parker liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    When this "Opioid Crisis" first came along, the news channels would show doctors being brought out in handcuffs from their clinics for prescribing too many opioids. I'm sure their intention was to have doctors see what could happen to them if they kept prescribing opioids. For many doctors, the easy solution is to not prescribe any opioids at all and ignore those with chronic, life-long pain
    @snowy...I was just reading a story about fentynal yesterday but the picture with the story showed a bottle clearly marked oxycodone with white pills spilling out and a hyperdermic needle dripping liquid.
    Likes Mrs Parker, snowy, Anne Onomis liked this post

17. Open letter from a chronic pain patient
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12