Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Our goal is to make your pain tolerable"

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

@tedh...oh no no no, we can't let them know when we help others with their pain. It only would we get in trouble but we'd get the person we're helping in trouble too and it would go on their "permanent medical record"!
    @Ellyn...I agree with you that a number of surgeries only need a 3-5 day supply although I'd say it depends on the patient and their overall condition. I've had multiple survives and I'd say a hysterectomy done with laparoscopy, uncomplicate, sure 3-5 days.

I've had a lung removed and had a continuous epidural spinal infusion for 2 days until the surgeon who didn't believe in anything other than ibuprophen had them pull it out. After that it was begging for pain relief IF I could get a nurse's attention. The hospitalist finally stepped in and said this was ridiculous and had a pump put in. I was sent home on day 5 with a week's worth of pain meds!

Then I had a hip replaced at a major hospital in Boston and was sent home with a month's worth of meds and instructions to call a week ahead when they were low so they could mail me a new written script. This allowed me to be comfortable AND do my PT which got me back on my feet and moving along well at 6 weeks.

So if someone is going to remove a major organ from my chest, you'd better believe I'm going to ask for those meds up front.

If someone is going to saw off the top of my leg bone, screw in a new ball joint, and put a new hip in, then yes, I want adequate pain meds appropriate for the assault on my body.

And that's exactly why I think this all needs to be individualized and between the doctor and patient. I don't need a congressman to approve anything.
    Helpful Ellyn Rated helpful
    Likes jaders liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    @tedh...oh no no no, we can't let them know when we help others with their pain. It only would we get in trouble but we'd get the person we're helping in trouble too and it would go on their "permanent medical record"!
    @Ellyn...I agree with you that a number of surgeries only need a 3-5 day supply although I'd say it depends on the patient and their overall condition. I've had multiple survives and I'd say a hysterectomy done with laparoscopy, uncomplicate, sure 3-5 days.

I've had a lung removed and had a continuous epidural spinal infusion for 2 days until the surgeon who didn't believe in anything other than ibuprophen had them pull it out. After that it was begging for pain relief IF I could get a nurse's attention. The hospitalist finally stepped in and said this was ridiculous and had a pump put in. I was sent home on day 5 with a week's worth of pain meds!

Then I had a hip replaced at a major hospital in Boston and was sent home with a month's worth of meds and instructions to call a week ahead when they were low so they could mail me a new written script. This allowed me to be comfortable AND do my PT which got me back on my feet and moving along well at 6 weeks.

So if someone is going to remove a major organ from my chest, you'd better believe I'm going to ask for those meds up front.

If someone is going to saw off the top of my leg bone, screw in a new ball joint, and put a new hip in, then yes, I want adequate pain meds appropriate for the assault on my body.

And that's exactly why I think this all needs to be individualized and between the doctor and patient. I don't need a congressman to approve anything.
    It really is a crap shoot, unfortunately. I get a VERY small dose of PK from my doc. If she ever cuts me off, I'll likely tell her I'll be buying it thru the net. I WANT them to know what people are doing and are having to do. I think I'm lucky with my doctor tho. At my last "yearly" I had been going thru a lot of anxiety and my doc asked how I was dealing with it. I told her I was meditating (they always love that, but it was true too,) but I also told her when I was really spun out I took some klonopin that I had left over from many years ago (14 or so.) She surprised me later in the appt. and offered me a new prescription for the benzo since she thought the old ones probably weren't even effective any longer (they are tho.) Anyway, I don't like benzos unless I'm really anxious, so it won't be an issue, but I'm very happy to have a doctor that would actually give me those along with giving me some pks. (She may've forgotten I get those too tho.)

I broke my wrist last year and I feel like I got pretty adequate pks too, from the orthopedist. The ER doc gave me 24 percs but cautioned me to try to tolerate some pain, as "this med is very addictive."

One day I am sure we are going to finally find that it's a BRAIN ISSUE why some drugs cause addictions in some folks, and other folks take the meds without any issue at all. It's just not THE DRUG, imho. I'm quite certain I could take meth every day for a month and would hate every minute of it. That was certainly true for me in my younger days when I imbibed cocaine just because it was cool. I couldn't WAIT for the effects to wear off altho I could sense in the beginning the positive "hit." To me, the folks that get "hooked" are obviously missing something that the drug fills. Personally, I am as certain of this as I am my name, but we continue to assume it's the drug itself. I'll probably be long dead before they figure this out, but the fact that medication-assisted-therapy is getting more and more popular - that might finally lead to thinking this issue out in new terms with better solutions.

I sure fear getting old in this climate of pk fears tho...I continue to wish there was a way to "unite" and fight back!!
    Last edited by jaders; 6 Days Ago at 06:42 PM.
    Likes Bawston liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

@jaders... you are lucky and it sounds like you have a doctor who actually listens to what you're saying. Right now though I think what we can have as far as painkillers depends on what state you live in.

In my state they've taken it completely out of the doctors hands and have issued 'guidelines'...not really, it's law - as to how much can be prescribed. Even then a pharmacy can step in and deny you a prescription if they decide it doesn't meet their corporate guidelines.

Definitely depends on the State. I've talked to several friends who have undergone knee replacements and shoulder surgery and they were sent home with just a few days of pain killers. Docs now say take ibuprofen.

jakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by catboy View Post
    Definitely depends on the State. I've talked to several friends who have undergone knee replacements and shoulder surgery and they were sent home with just a few days of pain killers. Docs now say take ibuprofen.
    Sorry Dr. I'm going to pass on the surgery if I'm denied decent post surgery pain control. Of course there are the times when we don't have a choice about denying surgery. Like most of the time.
    F**k the DEA

Well I had an appointment with my neurologist who was not the doctor prescribing my pain meds. As I've mentioned on other posts I've tapered myself on my own initiative because I wanted to do it on my own terms in my own sweet time (and bank some backup meds for future emergencies). Although this doc wasn't the prescribing doc she always asked if I was STILL on THOSE meds.

Well I was able to tell her that I was off them. She just lit up like a Christmas tree and exclaimed "congratulations! That's great!"

She was so happy with the big smile until I looked at her with as perplexed a look as I could and wiped the smile off by saying ... "now why are you so happy that I'm in pain?"

She looked shocked then perplexed and said, well it's good to not be dependent, to which I explained that unfortunately my quality of life is less and my activities are very limited.

At least we then had a decent discussion about how I wasn't responsible for this "epidemic" and that I have too much pride to be subjected to the treatment people in pain are now subjected to. I also detailed how the required appointments, travel, and tests wiped me out for that day. I told her about the things that I no longer do and events that I have to pass on.

I was surprised that she seemed to finally be listening and asked if I had talked to my primary about staying on. I again explained that I was the one who had decided because I didn't want to be in the situation of a forced taper or being pushed to a warehouse pain clinic. Also, if I move there is no way I'd find another's doctor is this state who'd prescribe or even take me on as a patient - she even agreed about that.

So I guess maybe we just need to keep raising our voices, being calm but firm in how we're affected and maybe someday someone will listen.
    Likes notcharlotte, jaders, Jazie, MRNUTTY, jakemoe liked this post

MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    People really don’t get the whole pain thing. I’m in very little pain lately so I don’t need a lot of meds. But it’s not that I got better, it’s because I literally don’t do sh*t anymore. I sit and read most of the time, get out an walk several times a week, and quit candy so I can maintain a minimum amount of gut weight. It’s either meds or a sedentary lifestyle. So, if I have to die early, at least I won’t hate the wait.
    Helpful Whisperliner Rated helpful
    America’s golf bill for Trump is $93 Million in two years.

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by MRNUTTY View Post
    People really don’t get the whole pain thing. I’m in very little pain lately so I don’t need a lot of meds. But it’s not that I got better, it’s because I literally don’t do sh*t anymore. I sit and read most of the time, get out an walk several times a week, and quit candy so I can maintain a minimum amount of gut weight. It’s either meds or a sedentary lifestyle. So, if I have to die early, at least I won’t hate the wait.
    Yes, and now we're all back where we started about 15 - 20 years ago, when it was "discovered" that so many folks had untreated pain. That was big news, and about the time doctors actually started giving out narcotic pain meds with much greater ease. Now almost everyone is going to be back in the "untreated" situation again. I'm hoping the pendulum swings again because I'm just entering my "twilight" years and I'll buy street drugs before I live with untreated pain...
    Likes MRNUTTY, Bawston, jakemoe liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

@MRNUTTY...that's the exact situation I'm in too. It's also what I explained to my neurologist the other day when she was so joyful about me stopping my prescription.

As I explained what I used to do and what I now do - same as you...read, occasional walk, make a meal if I've got the energy... vs what I had been doing I saw that it started to dawn on her the impact it was having on my life. She actually suggested I have a talk with my primary care doc about going back on to which I told her that the new rules were humiliating and the appointment requirements aggravated my pain.

I'm in a fully legal weed state but frankly I haven't found a dose that helps my pain yet allows me to function. When I was on OxyContin, I was clear headed, relatively pain free and able to live a full life.
    Helpful MRNUTTY Rated helpful
    Likes jakemoe liked this post

MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    @Bawston, I stopped asking for meds when it got too stupid with the checking. I was on a random pee test that they never took because I just didn’t fit the stereo type meds seller - but, like you, it’s a personal harassment I can do without.
    America’s golf bill for Trump is $93 Million in two years.

12. "Our goal is to make your pain tolerable"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123