Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Our goal is to make your pain tolerable"

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by djrick View Post
    I’ve heard the same from a nurse that used to work the Orthopedic ward. I asked her about hip replacement and she said some get discharged with ibuprofen. I specified hip replacements as my understanding is the top of the leg is cut to get to the joint, sounded very painful to me. She said some patients have been in so much pain prior to surgery the do ok with ibuprofen. Idk, seems cruel to not adequately treat after. I’d say if going in for something to force the conversation with that doctor before hand and try to have someone come with for support and to ask what you don’t think of . I was with someone thru this process last winter and in this case the surgeon was very rushed when asked questions.
    @djrick...I can only speak for myself but I was in incredible pain before my hip replacement...bone on bone, multiple cysts and the bone was actually sliding out of the socket when I walked. So yes, definitely in pain prior to surgery but when I woke up, even on a pain pump, I still had a lot of pain. The pain then rockets back up though when you must get up - and that’s required or you don’t go home.

You have to pass basic daily living activities such as walking with a walker, using that to climb up a,few,stairs, and being able to pull yourself up. Otherwise, you have to be. Over to a rehab hospital. My motivation was to be in my own home which I was able to do with appropriate pain meds. Also, I had in home PT to get my mobility and strength back. I do believe I would not have been able to advance my recovery without the pain meds. But, that’s just me.
    Helpful Binky, djrick, Whisperliner L1011 Rated helpful
    Likes ludwig1961, snowy, karuna liked this post

djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks @Bawston. Congrats on your recovery. The little I know about hip replacement,to me, just common sense would dictate that some\most ? would need more than otc pain relief. Everyone, in today’s medical industrial complex, needs to advocate for themselves. If facing something major be sure to bring along an advocate.

Best wishes on continued good health.
    Helpful Binky Rated helpful
    "All cruelty springs from weakness." --Seneca (4 BC - AD 65)

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

@djrick...a friend of mine had his knee replaced recently. He was given opioids but found he was allergic to them. My guess would be that there are synthetic opioids that might be in a different class that could have helped him but he’s one of those who thinks one pill makes you an addict. Long story short, although he did the best he could with PT he developed scar tissue and still can’t fully extend his leg 6 months later. I know he worked hard but I wonder if stronger meds could have helped him do full range of motion. Who knows?
    Helpful djrick, ludwig1961 Rated helpful
    Likes Binky, karuna liked this post

djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    @djrick...a friend of mine had his knee replaced recently. He was given opioids but found he was allergic to them. My guess would be that there are synthetic opioids that might be in a different class that could have helped him but he’s one of those who thinks one pill makes you an addict. Long story short, although he did the best he could with PT he developed scar tissue and still can’t fully extend his leg 6 months later. I know he worked hard but I wonder if stronger meds could have helped him do full range of motion. Who knows?

I know a few like that too, one pill and you need addiction treatment, MSM and TPTB have done a good job with their blab. It is un fortunate that he will have to live with the consequences but let us all be informed consumers for our own health journey. Not every thing requires an avalanche of RXs but treat patients with some compassion and dignity.
    Helpful Binky, Mecha, Gullible, snowy, chell55 Rated helpful
    Likes jaders, Bawston, karuna liked this post

5. i keep reading stories online about oh my relative broke a finger, got 60 oxy, now he's a drug addict. doctor's fault! this is the pervasive myth right now. false because i've never been given an irresponsible prescription for pks (lol @whisperliner) and only 3-5% of people become addicted.

right now i'm looking at a hip and knee replacement. they will not happen in this environment. only 8 years ago i fractured my pelvis and was prescribed all the oxys i needed. and let me tell everyone, that hurt to move. i took them for 2 months and then stopped. what a miracle, no addiction!

i agree with you, @djrick. anyone facing surgery needs to have a serious conversation about pain relief with their team. as with the example of @Bawston's friend, he needed to move to recover. the same with my pelvis: i needed to use my walker and go to the bathroom. healing properly is important when mobility is at stake.

now i'm reading stories about terminal patients being denied relief because the doctors says they'll become addicted. well, letting someone die in pain so she's not addicted when exactly? in the coffin? the one story i read the people changed doctors instantly. we just all have to start challenging doctors who trot out the addiction scare-mongering. i'd rather be able to walk than listen to addiction fairy tales.

@notcharlotte...yeah it was all those people who got prescriptions they didn’t need that caused it (yes, that’s sarcasm). I keep reading about older people dying after hip fractures & it’s been bugging me as to why that should be. Well, I seem to have found some answers and it’s making me pretty mad because if you die from not moving after a fracture, wouldn’t the same hold true from surgery?

One in three adults aged 50 and over dies within 12 months of suffering a hip fracture. Older adults have a five-to-eight times higher risk of dying within the first three months of a hip fracture compared to those without a hip fracture. This increased risk of death remains for almost ten years.

Beyond suffering pain, a hip fracture results in a loss of physical function, decreased social engagement, increased dependence, and worse quality of life. Many people who have a hip fracture need to change their living conditions, such as relocating from their home into a residential aged care facility.

Ultimately, the often rapid regression of an older person's health following a hip fracture means outcomes are poor.
    Together with controlling immediate post-surgery pain and symptoms, patients should receive therapeutic rehabilitation and functional training for the best chance of regaining mobility.

Taking individual capabilities, physical health and function into account, therapeutic rehabilitation may include improving the range of motion, pool therapy, and strengthening and progressive resistance exercises. Functionaltraining will include gait training, and resistance and balance exercises.

Even if the patient has not had surgery, rehabilitation is necessary to begin moving as quickly as possible to avoid the serious complications of being immobilised.

Some data suggest beginning physical activity as soon as possible post-surgery will reduce the likelihood of death. What we don't yet know is the type, intensity and duration of physical activity that will give the best results.
    Helpful snowy, Mecha, djrick, notcharlotte Rated helpful
    Likes karuna liked this post

snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    My daughter was in a car accident about 10 months ago. The insurance company finally agreed to pay for her teeth that were broken in that accident. Along with caps on her front teeth, she needed 2 root canals. I remember thinking the dentist
    better give her something for pain.
    We went home and I asked her what they prescribed for her. She said they told her to take Advil. Why not give her maybe 2 days worth of something? What's the harm?
    I didn't make a fuss in front of her, she's young and doesn't understand this stupid "opioid crisis" situation. But, she's a minor and I called the dentist.
    I could not get past the receptionist to speak to someone. She just said that's their policy. I told her my policy is to go elsewhere the next time we need a dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by notcharlotte View Post
    anyone facing surgery needs to have a serious conversation about pain relief with their team. as with the example of @Bawston's friend, he needed to move to recover. the same with my pelvis: i needed to use my walker and go to the bathroom. healing properly is important when mobility is at stake.

now i'm reading stories about terminal patients being denied relief because the doctors says they'll become addicted. well, letting someone die in pain so she's not addicted when exactly? in the coffin? the one story i read the people changed doctors instantly. we just all have to start challenging doctors who trot out the addiction scare-mongering. i'd rather be able to walk than listen to addiction fairy tales.

Theses stories are really disturbing. This forum is so valuable for members to share info, the last thing our feckless “leaders” want is a thinking, informed populace as fear makes people more easily manipulated.

@Bawston

Reading that age of 50, well short of retirement age but you would still have paid into the majority of your social security taxes as your work life is over half over, reminds me of this. At least half (if not more) of the national debt is owed to the social security trust fund, yes, to us. For decades the criminals and cons running things (this is not a party thing, both sides of the aisle————-big frown——-)have raided the ssn piggy bank.
    Sounds nefarious but it would suit TPTB to lighten up on the aged.

One thing we do know irrelevant of age is we must stay informed and demand a better level of care.
    @snowy
    I do hope your daughter is doing well.
    Likes karuna, Bawston, jaders, pippi222 liked this post

@djrick...I’ve always wondering what that dollar amount is - the total amount of all the people who’ve paid into social security and Medicare yet never made it to retirement age.

I’m always shocked at how uninformed many people are and you’re right, it makes it very easy to manipulate people. One think I was very surprised at was the Business Roundtable where Jaime Diamond (what an appropriate name) said that corporations had better step up to the plate and do better for workers instead of just catering to stockholders.
    Likes djrick, jaders, karuna liked this post

@snowy i am sorry to her abuot yur daugters accident and insurnce co r not yr advocet. u mustb yr own. sad

i hve so much2 say btu havin dif typing so i shuol wait4 caregivr2 type4 me. but.. nsaids =bleedgn . dont undersntd tht use.
    dependecny isdiffnert than addiction...
    i dont c 2 much positve outcme presurgury discus about pain mgmt . one wil be disappinted expcting samet reeatment and medicaton as previous given. 4 my surgures treatmnet was dif -allergic 2 opioids , ibut as mucch as i need, comfoorti s optuim and phy thrpy is limtd n liht. i m lucke. 4 pateint who mustmve impropr painmgt hindrs healing.

we can and mutsfghit 4 fairtretmnt mving forwadr nd grandfther those with lifelng cronic, debitaing pain and new prescrbng stndrds

iwil writ whn coherent.
    Likes snowy, jaders, Bawston, djrick liked this post

snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by karuna View Post
    @snowy i am sorry to her abuot yur daugters accident and insurnce co r not yr advocet. u mustb yr own. sad

i hve so much2 say btu havin dif typing so i shuol wait4 caregivr2 type4 me. but.. nsaids =bleedgn . dont undersntd tht use.
    dependecny isdiffnert than addiction...
    i dont c 2 much positve outcme presurgury discus about pain mgmt . one wil be disappinted expcting samet reeatment and medicaton as previous given. 4 my surgures treatmnet was dif -allergic 2 opioids , ibut as mucch as i need, comfoorti s optuim and phy thrpy is limtd n liht. i m lucke. 4 pateint who mustmve impropr painmgt hindrs healing.

we can and mutsfghit 4 fairtretmnt mving forwadr nd grandfther those with lifelng cronic, debitaing pain and new prescrbng stndrds

iwil writ whn coherent.
    Don't worry about your typing. I read it and I got what you were trying to say. It's a bad situation to have to fight for our meds but I think eventually, it will get better for pain patients.
    I was reading in our local newspaper that a 67 year old woman has had Rheumatoid arthritis for 10 years. She was taking some medications including Lortab for pain. Her doctor told
    her NO MORE Lortab. He said he weaned her off (what a great guy huh?) and for 2 weeks she was in so much pain that she took her entire bottle of sleeping pills one night. She left
    a note saying she couldn't understand why they had done this to her. What was she hurting? I don't know how this will turn out but her daughter is suing the doctor and his clinic.
    Likes jaders, Bawston, djrick, karuna liked this post

pippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the rough

All the stories in this thread make me so sad and furious at the same time. I am another who has been treated like a drug addict by ER docs who don’t even know me because I wasn’t satisfied with the ibuprofen they decided to prescribe for my acute pain. I understand that there is a problem with opioid addiction in our current society, but automatically assuming everyone who seeks help for pain is a junkie just goes against the purpose of the profession in my opinion. I suspect in the future we will look back at this point in our history as a sorry stain on the medical field.
    Helpful jaders Rated helpful
    Likes snowy, djrick, karuna liked this post

@snowy...what a doctor! I’m liking the part about the woman’s daughter suing the doctor and maybe if some people win these suits we just might start to see some reasonable pain relief. Right now the lawsuits have all been in the other direction.

I hope people find this article from the pain network about opioid withdrawal. It does mention the very real problem of suicide as well as the need for slow tapering.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stor...oid-withdrawal
    Helpful Stevo1, pippi222 Rated helpful
    Likes snowy, djrick, karuna liked this post

Stevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant future

Been there done that!
    Too many fxxxin times.
    Likes snowy, jakemoe, djrick, karuna liked this post
    Stare into my Avatar....Relax

@djrick...I’ve always wondering what that dollar amount is - the total amount of all the people who’ve paid into social security and Medicare yet never made it to retirement age.

I’m always shocked at how uninformed many people are and you’re right, it makes it very easy to manipulate people. One think I was very surprised at was the Business Roundtable where Jaime Diamond (what an appropriate name) said that corporations had better step up to the plate and do better for workers instead of just catering to stockholders.

There are a lot of stats around, if I ever see that info I would post. I would think there are fed bureaucrats somewhere keeping track.

Dimon’s name has come up a few times in regards to running for POTUS. LOL Why would most Americans vote for a bankster who paid himself and fellow executives huuge bonuses when he took massive taxpayer bailouts, and while numerous Americans were losing their homes and jobs. Wasn’t his employee, Blythe Masters, the one who created the CDS market and wasn't his bank unloading repackaged subprime mortgage derivatives on pension plans and municipalities? Just let him or Blankfein try to run, and see what happens. It would be fun for a while, for the public, not him. I guess he forgot about that brilliant idea of taking twitter questions from the public, such as if he eats babies for breakfast.

A (((banker))) thinks he's going to win an election in the US? Oh lawd, I'd love to see him try. He'd poll lower than Congress.

On topic, it would seem there is not much said by the health professionals re liver/kidney damage a lot of otc pain relievers can cause. IDK, maybe they feel their hands are tied but it is a very painful, cruel death to be waiting for a transplant and never get it. SAD
    Helpful snowy, Gullible Rated helpful
    Likes Bawston, karuna liked this post

@djrick...I hit like for your post but I don’t like it, I LOVE it!

I remember when the 2nd tier bankers and Wall Street types held a press conference to moan about how they felt hurt and upset that people didn’t understand that they deserved their bonuses because they’d worked so “hard to earn them”. Oh cry me a river!

I at least came up with a chart of percentages of making it to retirement age. Hard to get an actual headcount since most of the stats are based on percentages.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...293164663.html
    Helpful snowy, djrick Rated helpful
    Likes karuna liked this post

Farley is offline Banned Reason: Previously banned user (Missmolly)
    Farley will become famous soon enoughFarley will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Don't worry about your typing. I read it and I got what you were trying to say. It's a bad situation to have to fight for our meds but I think eventually, it will get better for pain patients.
    I was reading in our local newspaper that a 67 year old woman has had Rheumatoid arthritis for 10 years. She was taking some medications including Lortab for pain. Her doctor told
    her NO MORE Lortab. He said he weaned her off (what a great guy huh?) and for 2 weeks she was in so much pain that she took her entire bottle of sleeping pills one night. She left
    a note saying she couldn't understand why they had done this to her. What was she hurting? I don't know how this will turn out but her daughter is suing the doctor and his clinic.
    Did she die after taking all those sleep meds?

It's nice to see Ms @djrick posting again.
    Likes djrick, chell55 liked this post

@djrick...I hit like for your post but I don’t like it, I LOVE it!

I remember when the 2nd tier bankers and Wall Street types held a press conference to moan about how they felt hurt and upset that people didn’t understand that they deserved their bonuses because they’d worked so “hard to earn them”. Oh cry me a river!

I at least came up with a chart of percentages of making it to retirement age. Hard to get an actual headcount since most of the stats are based on percentages.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...293164663.html

Thank you for posting that! Great info. I had thought about coming back and toning down my post. Nothing was corrected or learned from the GFC-great financial crisis by anyone running anything. These guys Must be Masters of the Universe as they believe to be able go to the fed window, borrow money at about zero, our money, lend it to us, ie tack 20+%. + prime, pay granny nothing on a savings a/c, then use fractional reserve banking to lend out multiples of what they actually have as capital. I didn’t make it back on so I’ll leave as is.
    Ps if you want a lol google Jamie Dimon Twitter sh** storm

Nice to see you @snowy
    Likes Bawston, chell55, snowy, Gullible liked this post

@djrick...I remember opening my first checking account with a small local bank (pretty much what was available in 1970). Sure enough, I made a math error and overdrew the account. So I got a phone call from the bank assistant manager and I went down to see her. She sat as we went over my paltry account which was started with less than $100 (I got a free toaster too!). After explaining that I didn’t mean it, that I made a subtraction error, and promising not to do it again she just asked me to not write any more checks until my next deposit. No fee, no big deal, just ok, let’s correct the math and move on.

Today, when I transfer money from my linked savings to checking I get a notice that I can only do that 6 times per statement month...by LAW. You know why? Because savings is for savings and it pays a “higher” interest than checking so they don’t want me making too much money off that. Most of my money sits with my investment guy so these accounts are just monthly bill paying. My interest last month in saving was 6 cents...I’m a real wheeler dealer, yes I am.
    Helpful djrick Rated helpful
    Likes karuna, jaders, ludwig1961 liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast