Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Our goal is to make your pain tolerable"

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

Default "Our goal is to make your pain tolerable"

So, my daughter had to have emergency surgery a few weeks ago. She was at one of the top hospitals in Boston and the medical team that helped her were excellent. She is recovering and doing well.

I figured I'd share the current pain management strategy in this state right now (thanks to the knee jerk response of our politicians who passed some of the most restrictive laws in the country).

I was listening as my daughter was discharged & the nurse went over the meds. Seems like the go to is high dose ibuprophen alternating with high does Tylenol. At least they acknowledged that that might not be adequate and did give her a small prescription for a very low dose of oxycodone IF she was in unbearable pain...were talking 5 mg!

The nurse actually said "our goal is not to RELIEVE your pain, but to make it tolerable".

Seriously, we've gotten to the point where with current medication we are ABLE to actually completely relieve pain but they have CHOSEN to only make it tolerable. I have to ask - if you're going to get addicted to a pain pill will it matter if it's a dose just adequate that you aren't screaming or if it's a dose that makes you comfortable enough to relieve your pain and allow your to sleep? If you're "at risk" wouldn't you just take everything in the bottle anyway?

Yes our country is in the crapper over a lot if different reasons I don't care to discuss but yes it is awful especially for the chronic pain patients that really truly need pain medicine every day just so they don't put a bullet to their head......and is very sad.....

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

@feisty...and I find it sad and frustrating as a long time chronic pain patient that we HAVE the science and the medicine to relieve people's suffering but we're at a point where doctors feel they can't do that. It seems that unless their patients are having some pain that they'll be accused of overprescribing.

And yet, there are many people who've been shut out by their doctors who'd take even the paltry tolerable pain levels if they could get that!
    Last edited by Bawston; 03-30-2019 at 11:07 AM.

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    So, my daughter had to have emergency surgery a few weeks ago. She was at one of the top hospitals in Boston and the medical team that helped her were excellent. She is recovering and doing well.

I figured I'd share the current pain management strategy in this state right now (thanks to the knee jerk response of our politicians who passed some of the most restrictive laws in the country).

I was listening as my daughter was discharged & the nurse went over the meds. Seems like the go to is high dose ibuprophen alternating with high does Tylenol. At least they acknowledged that that might not be adequate and did give her a small prescription for a very low dose of oxycodone IF she was in unbearable pain...were talking 5 mg!

The nurse actually said "our goal is not to RELIEVE your pain, but to make it tolerable".

Seriously, we've gotten to the point where with current medication we are ABLE to actually completely relieve pain but they have CHOSEN to only make it tolerable. I have to ask - if you're going to get addicted to a pain pill will it matter if it's a dose just adequate that you aren't screaming or if it's a dose that makes you comfortable enough to relieve your pain and allow your to sleep? If you're "at risk" wouldn't you just take everything in the bottle anyway?
    Stories like these just make me want to cry...

Can’t we EVER find some balance?

I remember when they actually told you to make sure you kept the pain meds up in your system because it’s easier to control it that way instead of waiting until the pain got too bad. Also they said that the less pain you have, the quicker you heal because you get up and move more. Funny how facts shift according to the “agenda.”
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

smo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nicesmo1959 is just really nice

This is so typical @Bawston. I work in the medical field and I don’t blame the providers - they are under tremendous pressure never to prescribe opioids. Instead they are forced to hand out silly platitudes like we aren’t here to relieve your pain, just make it bearable. That even sounds stupid. We aren’t here to cure your cancer, just keep you alive a little longer. Bad example but just about as ridiculous.
    Not all those who wander are lost. -JRR Tolkien

blueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud of

Yes, @jaders, you're absolutely right. I was always told not to "chase" the pain but to keep ahead of it. Doctors don't dare recommend that kind of "preemptive strike" method these days, I imagine, not if they value their license. And freedom...
    Like a Bolt from the Blue!

@jaders...not having the spikes and valleys was exactly why OxyContin came out with their extended release pill. It was for 12 hours of continuous release. Then some figured they could get 12 hours of the med by crushing one pill and it was off to the races.

Of course the people who demanded that get corrected don't want to mention that the use of OxyContin dropped when they then came out with their tamper proof pill. And our current problem is street drugs killing people, not the prescriptions.
    Helpful Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes Stevo1, jaders, blueroan17, Nmoes liked this post

8. @Bawston, my daughter had major surgery as well and they told her the goal was to keep her pain at a 5. it's absolute insanity that they recognize that people are going to suffer and they don't care. the media i feel is the major culprit: opioid crisis means prescription meds to them and they totally ignore the illegal meds contributing to daily overdoses. heroin and meth get very little coverage and that is where the problems lie. it's so much easier to keep shooting the fish in the barrel. the problem is that now there are very few fish left and still ods are on the rise. who to blame now?

practically, if your daughter is suffering she needs to be insistent that her pain is uncontrolled and that she needs stronger meds. we need to start insisting we get adequate healthcare. my daughter was finally given an adequate prescription but my state is more lenient than yours. people need to recover from surgery and not be stressed and in pain. i hope she feels better soon.
    Helpful blueroan17, Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes jaders, Bawston, Mrs Parker, karuna liked this post

I often wonder how the doctors are treated when they need to pain medicine....are they treated like scum of the Earth like we are??!!?? Are they told to just tolerate it and shut up??!? I bet not. Oh hell no I bet they get what they want because of the doctor code. Because well.of course docs don't have addiction problems you know.....(horse shit) but....that is their story and they are sticking to it.

10. That's because we have the most repressive governor in the states history, he signed into law a bill that puts the government between doctors and their patients.. He's a creep who works for special interests and doesn't give two shits for the little guy. A real jerk-wad, I can't stand he very sight of the overgrown elf. I campaigned door-to-door against him in the last election for his anti-drug and ant-second amendment stances, as well as his total disregard for working people and I plan to do it again.

If your looking for pain management, stay away from this state.
    Helpful jaders Rated helpful
    Likes Bawston, Nmoes liked this post
    Drug criminalization is modern-day slavery.

11. @Bawston it is a disgrace the way patients are treated in hospitals these days. I had lower back surgery last May. I had literally lived half of my life with a herniated disc. I was in excruciating upon waking up from surgery, and all I was given was a 5 mg vicodin. I had to call the doctor 3 times to get medicine that would allow me to sit and lie down without being in unbearable pain. I know the position your daughter has been put in by the very people who took an oath to care for her, and it is not right what is happening in our medical facilities. People should not be treated like criminals when they have done nothing wrong.
    Helpful Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes Bawston, jaders, snowy, karuna, pippi222 liked this post
    It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you

blueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud ofblueroan17 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I often wonder how the doctors are treated when they need to pain medicine....are they treated like scum of the Earth like we are??!!?? Are they told to just tolerate it and shut up??!? I bet not. Oh hell no I bet they get what they want because of the doctor code. Because well.of course docs don't have addiction problems you know.....(horse shit) but....that is their story and they are sticking to it.
    feisty, that's what I used to think, too. But surprisingly, according to friends in the medical field, doctors are frequently subject to even worse scrutiny than we are when they ask for pain relief, or benzos. And god forbid they should seek any psychiatric care--that's a real sign of weakness!
    Likes Bawston, snowy, karuna liked this post
    Like a Bolt from the Blue!

@notcharlotte...isn't it unbelievable? Having someone at a 5 pain level when they could be at probably a 1-2 easily. That to me seems more like a moral judgment than a medical one.

I think you're right on target with the press fanning the 'opioid crisis' - and of course the politicians are falling all over themselves trying to show how tough but compassionate they are. BULL! As you said, prescriptions are down, so why are overdoses up? Why can't the articles just say illegal street drugs? Everybody jumps to the conclusion that it's prescriptions.
    Likes karuna liked this post

Yeah I've been seeing this more and more. My mom was dying of terminal cancer and was in a lot of pain, and in her last two months, even though she had no chance to live at that point, they took her off the strong painkillers because they "are addictive and bad for you." lol. So stupid. I could barely talk to her in her last few months because she was in so much pain.

I've been dealing with a really bad and painful infection and swelling for the last few weeks, and I've been treated like crap. I keep being told I have to wait weeks for surgery, and at the same time despite them telling I have to wait weeks, they aren't willing to give me anything for the pain in the meantime. I even got one of those "Oh it's proven that ibuprofen and tylenol is more effective than any narcotic" idiots. lol. Everyone is wired differently, and everyone handles pain differently. I also find it funny that a lot of people quote that study, despite the fact the person who led the study that says ibuprofen/etc is just as powerful as a narcotic, also stated that in a last case scenario, someone in pain should be prescribed narcotics. If ibuprofen/etc is a miracle cure-all-pain drug like they say, why would they say that it's okay to prescribe narcotics if the pain is bad enough? lol.

While it'd be amazing if we discovered a painkiller that cured all pain and had no bad side effects, it's obvious providers are now just pretending we have a cure-all pain reliever, when we don't. And so many people are being left in pain because of this stupidity.
    Likes Bawston, jaders, pippi222, Blackbird123 liked this post

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Its a terrible problem caused by brain dead politicians who will not do anything that might cost them an election because being "soft" on drugs might make the media go after them so bye bye to feeding at the trough and cash under the table. Therefore they will do nothing useful

The answer is go around the politicians, order off the dark net or clearnet iops who will sell you what you need. That is the quick fix. Another way is to grow your own poppies and make tea behind closed doors. You will never get into trouble that way. Another method is to research herbs that they haven't banned yet like corydalis extract. If you are lucky enough to be in a mj legal state you have a nice resource there. Or you may be able to get it by hook or crook even if not in a legal state, lol.
    Helpful snowy Rated helpful
    Likes blueroan17, jaders, notcharlotte, karuna liked this post

@Naji...it's interesting that all of a sudden ibuprophen is the miracle pain killer. Unless and until your stomach ends up with bleeding ulcers. All of the standard sites that people might reference for pain recommendations - like the arthritis foundation - have updated their info to recommend Tylenol & Ibuprophen.

It's funny though because I have a copy printed out from years ago in my file that recommends OxyContin for arthritis pain, especially if the patient is over 60. As we age, we don't process Tylenol or ibuprophen as well as an opioid and we're more likely to get organ damage - liver and kidneys.

I just live when my doctor says "well there's a study that SAYS...". Her latest (and my neurologist too) is that this study says opioids don't help pain at all and actually make it worse.

Really? I wasn't in any double blind study. I have tapered myself off Oxy after 20 years because I'm tired of the required appointments and hassle. I can verify that my meds which I did not abuse, did indeed make a huge difference to my quality of life enabling me to do things that I no longer can do. Now my activities are limited and my guess is my lifespan is probably shortened because of that.
    Helpful snowy, Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes notcharlotte, Naji, karuna, pippi222 liked this post

"Our goal is to make your pain terrible" seems more appropriate...
    Likes jaders, Mrs Parker, feisty, candygram liked this post
    The War on Drugs™ is a TOTAL farce.

18. @Bawston, i recently saw yet another pcp who didn't blink when i told him i take 12 ibuprofen a day. they simply don't care: they just don't want to write a pain script. how do they not see quality of life as an issue?

i'm with @Gullible here. we are left treating ourselves. i refuse to pay to be treated like a drug addict. they can keep their steroid shots, lyrica, and antidepressants. i went to the doctor because my osteoporosis needed evaluation and treatment. however, until they start treating pain patients properly, i refuse to give pain docs any more dollars. we have options.

@Naji, refusing to treat terminal patients' pain should be against the law. period. also, tell your doctor that ibuprofen and tylenol is not working, that your pain needs to be controlled, and that it is unacceptable to leave you in constant pain. the more we vocalize our dissatisfaction, the more doctors might begin to think of their bottom lines. when they lose patients because of their treatment, then they will think of changing. right now they are just patting themselves on their backs. make them aware of your pain and then consider a new, more compassionate doctor. leave the doctor a bad review online. we need to stop being complicit in their malpractice.
    Helpful snowy, Bawston Rated helpful
    Likes Naji, Gullible, pippi222, Phantasia liked this post

snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    snowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond reputesnowy has a reputation beyond repute
    @Bawston Whenever you make a helpful thread like this one regarding pain, it gets filled with posts. At least we have each other for support because we sure are treated poorly by most
    "medical professionals".
    Likes Bawston, karuna, candygram liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by notcharlotte View Post
    @Bawston, i recently saw yet another pcp who didn't blink when i told him i take 12 ibuprofen a day. they simply don't care: they just don't want to write a pain script. how do they not see quality of life as an issue?

i'm with @Gullible here. we are left treating ourselves. i refuse to pay to be treated like a drug addict. they can keep their steroid shots, lyrica, and antidepressants. i went to the doctor because my osteoporosis needed evaluation and treatment. however, until they start treating pain patients properly, i refuse to give pain docs any more dollars. we have options.

@Naji, refusing to treat terminal patients' pain should be against the law. period. also, tell your doctor that ibuprofen and tylenol is not working, that your pain needs to be controlled, and that it is unacceptable to leave you in constant pain. the more we vocalize our dissatisfaction, the more doctors might begin to think of their bottom lines. when they lose patients because of their treatment, then they will think of changing. right now they are just patting themselves on their backs. make them aware of your pain and then consider a new, more compassionate doctor. leave the doctor a bad review online. we need to stop being complicit in their malpractice.
    I honestly think it should be against the law. I've barely slept over the last week.

I went to the same doctor 4 times in the last week. I tell them repeatedly ibuprofen 800mg with tylenol isn't working. They just smile and nod, repeat that I need to take ibuprofen/tylenol. I've never snapped at anyone before, but I got INCREDIBLY close when they just kept repeating that, when I've been the one who has been getting no sleep and dealing with almost constant pain. I got fed up and went to two different places, and they told me the same thing. I spoke with two people who I know in the semi-close general area of where I live who have pain issues and they've run into the same issue. I think it's especially bad in the area I live in (even though it's a pretty good place, with not much crime or drug issues), where doctors and etc fear losing their license. Which I can't say I blame them completely, I definitely blame the people who threaten to take doctor's licenses away more than I do the doctor, but it still gets to a point where enough is enough.

Had a buddy who told me he had a 4 teeth pulled recently, and they weren't willing to prescribe him anything at all. Dentist stated the "ibuprofen/tylenol is just as strong as narcotics" BS.

It's just so upsetting, lol. I wish there could be more attention in the news to the people who are constantly suffering from pain, instead of focusing on the recreational users (who I think probably just use the internet now anyways).
    Last edited by Naji; 04-02-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Likes Bawston, Blackbird123 liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast