Thread: "7-Day Opiate Supply" Law. Define?

Snag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to behold

Default "7-Day Opiate Supply" Law. Define?

My state has instituted a "7-Day Opiate Supply" law where a doctor or surgeon can only prescribe 7 days' worth of opiates to patients for ANY reason other than cancer or other terminal conditions. This includes post-surgery situations. If you need more, you have to go to your primary care doctor or a pain clinic. I find this egregious & insulting but it's the law.

My question is, just what IS a 7-day opiate supply? Is it up to the prescribing doctor to determine how many he/she thinks you'll use each day, or is it like, 7 pills total? I can't find this info ANYWHERE on Google so I'm confused and a bit concerned since I have a surgery in my future. What's the absolute maximum amount of meds you could receive under the 7-day law?

I'll probably get oxycodone (Percocet) or hydrocodone after my surgery, fwiw. Just curious if anyone here has this sh!tty law in their state or knows more about it from a legal standpoint.
    Helpful Stevo1 Rated helpful
    Likes jakemoe, ludwig1961, Bawston liked this post
    All posts are for educational purposes and don't necessarily reflect the views of Snag-A-Puss. I welcome PMs but do not give out vendor referrals. Peace!

My state has had this rule in place for awhile. My doctor (PCP) wrote the script for the maximum daily dose with three refills for chronic pain. Surgeons, at least in my experience with 3 recent surgeries, encouraged me to take pain meds immediately after surgery while in recovery but did not send me home with a script. I didn’t worry about it bc I knew my dr would give me one. I think surgeons get a lot of flack for the ‘opioid epidemic’ so I wouldn’t expect a lot. And as far as cancer patients being exempt....I have a family member in her 5th year of fighting cancer and her new oncologist is withholding pain pills. He recommended nsaids...which she can’t take bc of blood thinners. Unbelievable!

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyIrish View Post
    My state has had this rule in place for awhile. My doctor (PCP) wrote the script for the maximum daily dose with three refills for chronic pain. Surgeons, at least in my experience with 3 recent surgeries, encouraged me to take pain meds immediately after surgery while in recovery but did not send me home with a script. I didn’t worry about it bc I knew my dr would give me one. I think surgeons get a lot of flack for the ‘opioid epidemic’ so I wouldn’t expect a lot. And as far as cancer patients being exempt....I have a family member in her 5th year of fighting cancer and her new oncologist is withholding pain pills. He recommended nsaids...which she can’t take bc of blood thinners. Unbelievable!
    My God!! An oncologist that would withhold pain meds? Now I’ve heard everything. I would get a new doctor. Are they worried about addiction fer chrissake? That just seems like malpractice!!!

I’m so glad you have a decent pcp tho! I feel VERY lucky that my surgeon who fixed my broken wrist almost 2 years ago did give me adequate pain meds for at least 3-4 weeks.
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

Snag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to beholdSnag-A-Puss is a splendid one to behold

Oh god. That's disgusting re: the cancer patient. I'm going to DEMAND a take-home script if I get this surgery because I live in BFE nowhere & going back to the doctor isn't easy. If he refuses, no surgery there. This sh!t is inexcusable. Pain & nausea are two things I am a wimp about & refuse to deal with post-surgery; if they aren't going to help with that then they can take a flying leap!

Stuff like this is exactly what makes people WANT to stockpile illegal meds. They have to know this. Not just doctors but lawmakers. It's not that they don't know--they just don't care.
    Helpful north19, Bawston Rated helpful
    Likes Artknowsme, jakemoe, ludwig1961 liked this post
    All posts are for educational purposes and don't necessarily reflect the views of Snag-A-Puss. I welcome PMs but do not give out vendor referrals. Peace!

Artknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to allArtknowsme is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyIrish View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your family member who has been fighting cancer and is still continuing to fight. I think their situation is almost the poster child for why so many seek this forum. Its that or the costs. It seems to me the more you get government involved, the more you cause long term issues. Prohibition was an excellent example, and carried with it the moral responsibility (religion) of protecting people from themselves. Same with the opioid epidemic. Politicians get people throwing facts at them saying "we have to do something to stop this!" and you can't argue with the overdose death numbers. So bureaucrats do what they think(or directed to) is going to make the numbers go down. Look at who finances the lobbing costs to push these changes - you will see religious groups behind them. Again with the moral obligation of protecting people from themselves. Where do we go from here? Hopefully accountability on the part of Americans and legalization on everything. I can always dream, right?
    Likes north19, LuckyIrish, ludwig1961 liked this post
    Counting on someone else for your happiness is a recipe for premeditated disappointment.

6. damn, @LuckyIrish, i hoped you encouraged your relative to get an even newer oncologist. that sounds like a doctor out of control, and the best thing we can do with these doctors is vote with our feet. cancer but no pain meds? bye, doc. hip replacement with tylenol? there are plenty of other surgeons. these doctors will not change until their practices and paychecks suffer. we need to start saying, "you don't believe in pain meds? i don't believe in paying doctors who let people suffer." remember, we are hiring them to take care of us. if they don't, let's take our business elsewhere.
    Helpful El Grandote, Bawston Rated helpful
    Likes jakemoe, jaders, LuckyIrish liked this post

The insurance companies have jumped onto the 7 day bandwagon too. As far as I know, there is extraordinary pressure on doctors, to not prescribe any opiates, but no 7 day rule yet, in my state. But, my insurance will not pay for more than 7 days. I am prescribed a pretty low dose PK by a pain management doctor, but my insurance will not pay for the 30 day prescription. Total BS.
    Helpful Bawston Rated helpful
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by M77 View Post
    The insurance companies have jumped onto the 7 day bandwagon too. As far as I know, there is extraordinary pressure on doctors, to not prescribe any opiates, but no 7 day rule yet, in my state. But, my insurance will not pay for more than 7 days. I am prescribed a pretty low dose PK by a pain management doctor, but my insurance will not pay for the 30 day prescription. Total BS.
    Well, of course insurance companies just jump on, cuz if they can deny anything, they will. I'm sure it isn't a medical concern - just a way to spend less. It does certainly surprise me tho, that they can override what a doctor prescribes. I'm prescribed some (not very many, but it gives me a legit script) low strength PKs that must last 28 days, but no problem getting it paid for (it's very inexpensive too tho. I guess I have to be thankful for the little things... I'm so thankful most of all that we have some options, even if it comes with risk.
    Helpful M77, ludwig1961 Rated helpful
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute
    Bawston has a reputation beyond repute
    I think the 7 day law may be different in each state as far as the guidelines. Any surgeon worth his license is going to give you the max of what he’s allowed knowing exactly what he is doing is going to cause pain. @Snag-A-Puss...you might try googling your state’s database of drug laws.

For example, search for (your state) prescribing laws.

Quote Originally Posted by M77 View Post
    You may want to call your insurance and see if your doctor can’t confirm that. I’ve had that pulled on me where I had to ha e my doctor authorize the medicine before for “large” (I hate saying 30 days is large when I remember 90 days normal) orders are played.

Something even more gross was that for the first two years I went to many pharmacies and I always paid a decent chunk of money my insurance didn’t cover. I switch over to Walmart of all places, and the pharmacist there asked me why doesn’t he just give me the 7 day supply and request for a prior authorization since I didn’t have one. I asked him what he meant and he said if I had a prior authorization for my pain meds that it is all approved and 100% paid for. I was floored. I’ve went to so many pharmacies before. I’ve even went and gotten prior authorization for a few different drugs that didn’t work. I had never been told. Not by a single ****ing person except this new pharmacist at Walmart that didn’t understand why I didn’t just get one of these so all my meds would be paid for and filled without having to ask me his list of 10 stupid questions on opioids.

Just a thought. Not saying it WILL help you but it WONT HURT either. I literally went for years and had no idea and had gotten Prior Authorization in many drugs but just no one told me that it would pay for all my pain meds and also reduce the states questions on my meds meds every refill.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and as a side note, anytime I did run into that 7 day rules it’s been a flat 20 Vicodin 5’s for minor things and Percocet 5’s for major things. I’ve always turned it down because my pain contract but that is what I’ve been offered several times.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.