Thread: Favorite Wines and Why

Default Favorite Wines and Why

Inspired by another thread. I because curious about what varietals or regions of wine all of you prefer drinking and why.
    What characteristics -flavor profile, cost, availability, etc., - everything that contributes to your favorites interests me!

I’ll go first. I love good wine, which can range from a jugged wine (Preston Vineyard’s jug is a terrific low cost California option) to Blanc de Blanc Champagne (Pierre Peters is a favorite producer) . I don’t discriminate but favor champagne overall I love blanc de blanc the most, but find that rose and brut champagnes pair with food better. Second choice would probably be probably Burgundy (French, not Carlo Rossi lol) and Piedmontese iterations of the barbershop, dolcetto, and of course Nebbiolo (Barbara/Barbareaco)which is very similar to Pinot grape in it’s expression). I love Riesling, interesting Sicilian wines, basque whites. Oh yeah, life rose, Joseph Roth used to make a great Tose of Pinotbut haven’t been able to find it for a while. Usually enjoy high acidity/salinity, but recently had a cab by Decoy that I was shocked that I liked. It was really well-balanced and not overpacked and flabby (too little acidity) Ok, enough about me! Your turn.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    I like a roscato it is a chilled red wine and is a bit sweet. It is bubbly and it is my favorite. Second fav is Mascato. It is chilled white. Iike sweeter wines.
    Last edited by feisty; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:21 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I like a roscato it is a chilled red wine and is a bit sweet. It is bubbly and it is my favorite. Second fav is Mascato. It is chilled white. Iike sweeter wines.
    Thank you for your response. I’m glad at least one person besides me is interested in discussing wine!
    Likes feisty liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Polina View Post
    Thank you for your response. I’m glad at least one person besides me is interested in discussing wine!
    I see that no one else wanted to chime in..... Which is weird. There is the Biltmore house in Asheville NC and I love to do their wine tastings...they have some awesome wines that they make there. I usually end up buying s couple cases. That is the only wines I will buy in by the case.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I see that no one else wanted to chime in..... Which is weird. There is the Biltmore house in Asheville NC and I love to do their wine tastings...they have some awesome wines that they make there. I usually end up buying s couple cases. That is the only wines I will buy in by the case.
    @feisty Hi, thanks for chiming in. Yes, strange that more people aren’t responding but whatever. I’m going to look up the Biltmore House. Never heard of it; this is why I started this thread - so fun to learn about new places and anything related to gastronomy/oenophilia. Thanks again, and nice to meet you.

- - - Updated - - -
    @feisty the sparkling wines look really interesting, the chenin blanc too, it’s a bargain.
    Last edited by Polina; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:19 PM.

Kind of depends on what you are pairing the wine with- kind of.
    If you are drinking it without food, I guess I would go with an easier wine. Perhaps a Riesling or perhaps a light red like a Pinot.

Sure love a sparking wine. My better half likes the sparklings. I had her loving the Bruts but times got touch and often grabbed an overly sweet Prosecco or such. Still- stands up well with eggs benedict and so on.

Do you like to splurge now and then? They offer some deals with Wine . com . I am not a huge fan but every year or so they give a huge discount. I got $160 off a modest order not too many months ago. They give you some interesting sommelier service that was of some use on the Tuscany or other Italian wines. Can't complain. I will not pay for another year for this service and I have done it before but I am not a bad person for it. They make a good bit of money either way I assure you.

I find that 2nd wines are a good deal at times. Like "Decoy". If you know Duckhorn- well there's Decoy. More affordable, yummy, though it still won't touch their first - Duckhorn.

I realize I will get smacked in the face for liking some of the "location" wines but Phinney does a good job on his blends. They come together and worth the price. If you are a wine snob I won't argue it as I know I am out of line but one likes what one likes.

A good Jordan Chard yums. I think that is a better priced white but what do I know? I can still taste and smell. Just can't get through the day.
    @Polina
    So you like Spanish wines-- why not?! Some great ones no doubt at all.
    Even just your table stuff and overdone Marques Crianza- reserva if possible of course (no longer table I guess). Juicy yet not over the top and not too tannin as far as I can read it.
    Been drinking that one as a standard for ages. One could do worse don't you think?

Have you tried the Phinney "E" location wine? Pretty decent.
    Still as far as Phinney goes on location wines- I have to go with the "I" aka Italian wine he blends. Not sure why but I usually have loved the generations.

You mention you love the sparklings so I am assuming you love chards and other whites.
    I really do like some of the Santa Barbara wines. Of course a nice Vouvray when the pocket is not empty- sadly mine is anymore but who cares? Mr. D T took 20K away from my wine bucket.

What are your favorite countries for wine? Any one in particular? Any special wines for you?

If you like reds and like to drink them with good Italian food (as one should hahaha)- some great ones from decent prices:
    Affordable but very drinkable with pasta and such- Falesco Vitiano Rosso . Talking like $12- $16 a bottle and I bet you'll like it if you like a balanced "biteable" red
    Toasted Head Chard is quite drinkable for a chard at $14-$18
    And to round it off so you get a heavier red but "cheap"= Canoe Ridge The Expedition Cab Sauvignon only about $18 - $22.

I based the prices on what I paid that last time I filled my wine cabinet.

Anyways----- DO TELL ME about the sparklings.
    I don't drink them that often and could use some education. I mean I know the old school stuff / standby's- but love a new one.

I appreciate it. I love a dry but hey- I am not a snob and love an easy to drink brunch type sparkle. My wife sure does and why not? I don't do the drinks like mimosa's, poinsettia's. bellini's although they are quite yummy. Nothing like a peach bellini but more work than I care to do in the morning - or afternoon knowing me as of late.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I'd love to hear about some wines you love. I'd love to share some. I don't do many lately due to healthcare bills and much more but still.

Thanks so much. I feel like I overstepped my bounds typing so much and wearing my heart or spilled red wine on my sleeve.
    LTD
    Likes Polina liked this post
    Call on God, but row away from the rocks

@lividthedream Loved reading through your reply; I am going to respond as soon as I have the time to write something detailed! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Polina; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lividthedream View Post
    Kind of depends on what you are pairing the wine with- kind of.
    If you are drinking it without food, I guess I would go with an easier wine. Perhaps a Riesling or perhaps a light red like a Pinot.

Sure love a sparking wine. My better half likes the sparklings. I had her loving the Bruts but times got touch and often grabbed an overly sweet Prosecco or such. Still- stands up well with eggs benedict and so on.

Do you like to splurge now and then? They offer some deals with Wine . com . I am not a huge fan but every year or so they give a huge discount. I got $160 off a modest order not too many months ago. They give you some interesting sommelier service that was of some use on the Tuscany or other Italian wines. Can't complain. I will not pay for another year for this service and I have done it before but I am not a bad person for it. They make a good bit of money either way I assure you.

I find that 2nd wines are a good deal at times. Like "Decoy". If you know Duckhorn- well there's Decoy. More affordable, yummy, though it still won't touch their first - Duckhorn.

I realize I will get smacked in the face for liking some of the "location" wines but Phinney does a good job on his blends. They come together and worth the price. If you are a wine snob I won't argue it as I know I am out of line but one likes what one likes.

A good Jordan Chard yums. I think that is a better priced white but what do I know? I can still taste and smell. Just can't get through the day.
    @Polina
    So you like Spanish wines-- why not?! Some great ones no doubt at all.
    Even just your table stuff and overdone Marques Crianza- reserva if possible of course (no longer table I guess). Juicy yet not over the top and not too tannin as far as I can read it.
    Been drinking that one as a standard for ages. One could do worse don't you think?

Have you tried the Phinney "E" location wine? Pretty decent.
    Still as far as Phinney goes on location wines- I have to go with the "I" aka Italian wine he blends. Not sure why but I usually have loved the generations.

You mention you love the sparklings so I am assuming you love chards and other whites.
    I really do like some of the Santa Barbara wines. Of course a nice Vouvray when the pocket is not empty- sadly mine is anymore but who cares? Mr. D T took 20K away from my wine bucket.

What are your favorite countries for wine? Any one in particular? Any special wines for you?

If you like reds and like to drink them with good Italian food (as one should hahaha)- some great ones from decent prices:
    Affordable but very drinkable with pasta and such- Falesco Vitiano Rosso . Talking like $12- $16 a bottle and I bet you'll like it if you like a balanced "biteable" red
    Toasted Head Chard is quite drinkable for a chard at $14-$18
    And to round it off so you get a heavier red but "cheap"= Canoe Ridge The Expedition Cab Sauvignon only about $18 - $22.

I based the prices on what I paid that last time I filled my wine cabinet.

Anyways----- DO TELL ME about the sparklings.
    I don't drink them that often and could use some education. I mean I know the old school stuff / standby's- but love a new one.

I appreciate it. I love a dry but hey- I am not a snob and love an easy to drink brunch type sparkle. My wife sure does and why not? I don't do the drinks like mimosa's, poinsettia's. bellini's although they are quite yummy. Nothing like a peach bellini but more work than I care to do in the morning - or afternoon knowing me as of late.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I'd love to hear about some wines you love. I'd love to share some. I don't do many lately due to healthcare bills and much more but still.

Thanks so much. I feel like I overstepped my bounds typing so much and wearing my heart or spilled red wine on my sleeve.
    LTD
    @lividthedream I think I have bought wine on wine.com once quite a while ago. Yes, I love Champagne (sparkling is good too but I prefer Champagne), but as mentioned in my original post, second to Champagne, I really enjoy Italian reds, especially from the Piedmont region. Jordan wines are nice, understated but expensive! I am fairly picky about wine in general but even more so about California wines. If you are interested in California sparkling, Roderer Estate makes a couple of decent sparklers, a brut and rosé, and Schramsberg also makes several sparkling wines. They're expensive though, so I think $$ are better spent on Champagne. There are some good Proseccos out there too that are dry, not sweet, but nothing compares to Champagne! I don't drink to often either but I have spent a lot of time exploring wines in years past.

It really depends on what I am eating while drinking the wine, but I like several Pinot Noirs from Oregon and Washington State. Domaine Drouhin makes several lovely ones that are pricey as all get-out and for the most special occasions. Seriously, they rival the good Burgundies and they have prices to match. For every day dinners I like Big House Red (which is the best pizza wine I've found), or Pacific Rim Dry Reisling.
    Likes Polina liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyn View Post
    It really depends on what I am eating while drinking the wine, but I like several Pinot Noirs from Oregon and Washington State. Domaine Drouhin makes several lovely ones that are pricey as all get-out and for the most special occasions. Seriously, they rival the good Burgundies and they have prices to match. For every day dinners I like Big House Red (which is the best pizza wine I've found), or Pacific Rim Dry Reisling.
    @Ellyn I love Burgundy too, not too familiar with Oregon/Washington wines but can recommend a few good California Pinot producers: Littorai, Rochioli, Ant Hill Farms, Williams Selyem, Gary Farrell (though I think things have changed there so not sure if the wines are what they were 10 years ago). The thing is, there are some fantastic values in European wines, and I think you have to spend much more to get high quality US wines. For example, I recently purchased a mixed four pack of Burlotto Barbera d’Alba and Dolcetto d’Alba for 89.95. I would much rather drink a nuanced, complex wine that is derived from a grape that isn’t a “noble” varietal but nonethelesshas many of the same characteristics as a more expensive wine, be it Pinot/Burgundy or Nebbiolo/ Barbaresco /Barolo. Although, I do have a handful of Barbarescos and Barolos that I’m cellaring until they are mature enough to drink. Regarding US pinots, it is such a delicate grape and I have frequently tasted many Pinots that are out of balance, over oaked or fruit bombs. I definitely favor old world wines.

12. Favorite Wines and Why