Thread: Food as medicine/how I healed my gut

1. Default Food as medicine/how I healed my gut

Hi all,

just thought I would share my story how I cured myself with changing my diet alone and I would love to hear your experiences about diet as well.

I was diagnosed with CFS/ME and a lot of other issues (thyroid/celiac disease/mental health problems) some years ago, didn't accept it and began to research on my own. Looking back, I now know all of my problems were a gut, microbiome issue (leaky gut).

First I did an elimination diet and found out I do not tolerate gluten at all. I felt a lot better after eliminating gluten from my diet. Then I found out about homemade milk kefir made with real grains, it's the most probiotic food there is on the planet.

Then I researched about herbs and spices and was astonished about their antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. I didn't know about this before. I always believed in healthy eating, but in hindsight I can't believe how I underestimated the healing power of spices and herbs. You just have to take enough of them to do their work. Cloves (https://www.nature.com/articles/srep09253), cumin seeds, cinnamon, oregano oil, turmeric, they all are antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal. So I started to take 1 heaped teaspoon of these herbs a day for several weeks and boy, did it work. I felt so much better.

My gut was finally healed. The last piece of the puzzle for me was sulforaphane, after hearing about it from Dr. Rhonda Patrick on Youtube. I started to sprout broccoli seeds and I feel like a new born ever since.

This is my story in a nutshell and how I healed myself and my gut in a period of about 5 years. Of course I could add a lot of additional details to it like drinking a lot of green tea instead of only water, etc.

I'm very curious if anybody here had positive results with changing their diet as well?
    Likes peppergirl, jaders, pmpl, karuna liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    @radieshen Amazing story. Good thread to start. I hope to see more true life posts. There's so many ads on herbs , that we don't know what really works.
    Likes radieschen liked this post

4. You would be surprised how much better you feel just from actually drinking recommended amount of water each day. I have to drink about 10 16oz bottle according to my weight and height, I do not know if its placebo effect because i have only been getting 10 down for 2 days now(just started) but I already feel just better in general. Like , I am actually impressed with how much its helping me so far.
    Likes radieschen, peppergirl liked this post

calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, all. In addition to drinking enough water, (and eliminating gluten or other triggers if you have a sensitivity to it,) I have found over these (many) decades that limiting, if not eliminating, "simple" sugars from my diet has done wonders for my overall physical and mental health. My mom always told me "you are what you eat," and I thought she was a silly old person, but as I've gotten old(er) myself, I think she was really onto something. If you are a true "sugar addict," it can be hard (or almost impossible) to cut these carbs out of your diet, but OMG, what a difference it can make in your whole health. (And there are ways to cut back on sugar more gradually, that won't make you feel like you're having cold-turkey w/d's, that are worth checking out.) JMO, of course, IANAD or a Psych, either, just someone who was a carb addict for years.
    Likes radieschen, peppergirl, karuna liked this post

6. Quote Originally Posted by coolguy_spkvalley View Post
    You would be surprised how much better you feel just from actually drinking recommended amount of water each day. I have to drink about 10 16oz bottle according to my weight and height, I do not know if its placebo effect because i have only been getting 10 down for 2 days now(just started) but I already feel just better in general. Like , I am actually impressed with how much its helping me so far.
    Hey, yep, drinking enough fluid alone makes you feel so much better, I agree.

Maybe you want to try to add herbs to your water, like green tea, hibiscus or chamomile or mint or whatever you like, and you're giving your body an extra portion of polyphenols. All herbs are healthier than just nothing/water. You don't have to boil the water first, just add a few tea bags of your favorite tea in a jar with cold water in the evening, put it in the fridge and in the next morning you have iced tea. This method is called "cold brewing" and it works really well.

I add a little bit of stevia for the sweetness.
    Likes peppergirl, karuna liked this post

7. Quote Originally Posted by peppergirl View Post
    @radieshen Amazing story. Good thread to start. I hope to see more true life posts. There's so many ads on herbs , that we don't know what really works.
    Yes I agree, you really have to research on your own and even read med studies to find what works for you. What I have found to be true is the claim by Hippocrates “All Disease Begins in The Gut.” All herbs are better than none, we all are deficient in herbs and spices and the micronutrients that come with them, the polyphenols etc. and their anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that heal our guts.

Turmeric, oregano oil and cloves are probably three of the most beneficial herbs you can find for your gut.
    Likes peppergirl, karuna liked this post

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread, I agree with all of what I read. Eliminating excess sugar is good for the health and also good for waistline. Flour; bread, pasta, etc turns into sugar right away and has lots of gluten so cut back on that too and eat lots of veggies and some fruit each day.

Drinking loads of water is good for you and an easy fix for constipation. I take turmeric every day also oregano oil and many other herbs and spices. More than kentucky fried chicken, lol. Look for colorful veggies, they have more antioxidants and general goodies in them. Blueberries are possibly the most healthy food, wolf berries too and akai but those are not as easily found in the grocery store.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention probiotics which are very important too. I take a multi probiotic call reuteri.
    Likes karuna, wintermute liked this post

9. @radieschen
    I am in a similar boat!
    I have been brewing kombucha, sprouting and making water kefir and it's not only healthy but really fulfilling to make your own food/drinks
    Probiotic beverages like kombucha seem to really take my anxiety down a notch too.
    I can't seem to get my milk kefir to turn out though. It never really thickens up no matter what I do!

I'll have to reasearch more about some of those herbs/spices.
    Black cumin seed oil has been incredibly helpful for me in reducing inflamation and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

You also mentioned that you had thyroid issues. Did dietary changes also help with those issues? I am hypothyroid and I think it exacerbates a lot of my other issues (ocd, anxiety etc) so I'm willing to try anything that might help my thyroid
    Last edited by eggplants; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:54 PM.

10. Food as medicine/how I healed my gut