Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To VPN or not to VPN that is the question

1. Quote Originally Posted by SWAT View Post
    I love Nord. It has a kill switch and even has a Tor Over VPN option. Not that I need it, I don't partake in any any hardcore Dark Market stuff. Nice to know it's available though. Last time I used Tor without a proper VPN, I got some very creepy phone calls. After using Nord, it all stopped. Like anything else, you get what you pay for and Nord is far from being a low tier VPN.

DISCLAIMER: I'm by no means an expert. Just sharing my experience.
    Hi, I have Nord VPN and I did not take notice of the Tor over VPN function. Can you offer some advice on this function?

Thank you!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Funkyfish View Post
    Exactly. VPN services that claim not log are just marketing. Feds have more or less proven this. Unless you someplace like China that controls what you see, I think VPN is overkill for regular folks.
    No offense but this is terrible advice. Take it from an IT pro, always use a VPN (and more if you can). And yes, be sure of the country governing their business, no logs of course. Quality per brand will vary based on your location. Also know that TOR and Tor-VPN (company) are not the same thing.

temmuz has a spectacular aura abouttemmuz has a spectacular aura abouttemmuz has a spectacular aura abouttemmuz has a spectacular aura about

To side-step artifical access blockings in certain juristictions (e.g. in China) a VPN service abroad is a feasible option. But to cover your tracks, VPN provides nothing more than a false sense of security, which is worse than no security at all.

No government would let a VPN provider alone, in their juristiction.

Instead of jumping through loops in an attempt to cover your tracks, which takes a security expert, I have another, solid and simple solution: Just use a connection that can't be associated with you.

This doesn't necessarily entail stealing your neighbor's bandwidth. You can find a free public WiFi spot around your place, take your laptop with you over there and use the connection while sitting in your car.

This is not with its caveats, though. Never use your regular operating system for stealth connections, as it will probably have some information somewhere in it that can give you away.

Instead...

Either use a "clean" laptop, into which you have never entered a single word about real you, and which you have never EVER used to login to internet sites with your personal info (like Facebook, Twitter, email accounts, banks, etc.)

Or use a likewise "clean" second OS in your regular laptop. I.e you can have two installations of Linux (sorry if I sound like a Windows contempter While booting, you can select which OS to boot. Boot into your regular Linux installation for regular work, boot into your "clean" Linux installation for dirty work.

You can substitute Windows for Linux, but then you have to install a lot of anti-malware (which are malware themselves sometimes) and you may need to pay for them, and this financial transaction will associate your "clean" Windows with real you. So, either use Windows + free anti-malware or use Linux (no anti-malware needed). In any case don't do anything that can hint your real identity in your clean OS.

So again, just use a connection that can't be associated with you (doesn't belong to you).
    Likes Gullible liked this post

4. Seriously tho, a burner-laptop or boot-drive with a geek-tweaked OS isn't very practical for most people ordering personal meds. Maybe you should teach them to put TOR on top of all that too?

Zen_Life II is on a distinguished road

I have used several VPNs, including: Ip Vanish, Nord VPN and Express VPN. I just had a conversation with our head of IT the other day and asked what he used. Like several of you, he uses PIA. He said it was because "it fit in his budget" and "does what it is supposed to do." Anyway, 2 things he told me that I thought I would add to the conversation 1) If someone wants to hack you, they will find a way, even with a VPN (which now has me thinking whether it is really worth the money - except that by switching my location, I am able to watch BBC, CBC, CTV and several other networks outside of the US that otherwise could not be accessed); and 2) What's most important, in addition to tracking, selling info and being on a server outside of the US, is who owns the company. He said that it is common practice for the competition to buy out other competitors and not disclose this info. For example, say you want a VPN with a server outside of US jurisdiction. Well, that VPN could very well be bought out buy a company that is based in the US and then your efforts to keep your data out of the US government's reach would be for nothing. His conclusion was that you not only really need to research your provider, but also stay on top of the industry. As if anyone really has time to do that. I know I certainly don't.

That being said, I think I will stick keep mine, even though it can cause latency issues. Anything I can do to make it harder for someone to watch what I am doing online or hack any of my accounts is worth it. Keep in mind that his is coming from someone who has been hacked 4 times in the past 3 years - all due to servers not within my control.

6. Personally I think it's best to hide in plain site. Not many people that I know can install a "clean" partition, let alone install a drive. The so called good guys have so much traffic to search through it's almost impossible to find anyone in particular without knowing their IP address. If they want to tie up tens, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars tracking my puny shipments there is little that I can do to prevent it.
    Helpful Zen_Life II Rated helpful

7. I use mine for certain things. To me logically most of us are minnows. I assume that unless your package or order has some serious amounts or substances involved that they aren’t going to waste their time tracking what you do online.
    I use mine mainly because I feel it’s nobody’s business to know what I’m doing.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Tor. I won’t check tracking on Tor and rarely use it. Tor is a great tool to avoid censorship. But it’s also has a negative stigma for its other uses. Your ISP and websites can see you’re using TOR just not see what your doing.
    Likes Seychelle liked this post

8. I was sort of joking about Tor, sort of. Using a VPN is about as basic as it comes, it's not special IT tech-ery. Even without the fishy international transactions most of us are here for, these days a (carefully chosen) VPN is mandatory for even minor security. I wouldn't download my regular email or even surf uncontroversial websites without a VPN connection. It's kind of like locking your car, occupied or not, thieves and thugs will likely move on to the next one that's unlocked instead of robbing/hijacking yours.

Seychelle has a spectacular aura aboutSeychelle has a spectacular aura aboutSeychelle has a spectacular aura aboutSeychelle has a spectacular aura aboutSeychelle has a spectacular aura aboutSeychelle has a spectacular aura aboutSeychelle has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by lezmy View Post
    I use mine for certain things. To me logically most of us are minnows. I assume that unless your package or order has some serious amounts or substances involved that they aren’t going to waste their time tracking what you do online.
    I use mine mainly because I feel it’s nobody’s business to know what I’m doing.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Tor. I won’t check tracking on Tor and rarely use it. Tor is a great tool to avoid censorship. But it’s also has a negative stigma for its other uses. Your ISP and websites can see you’re using TOR just not see what your doing.
    Hi @lezmy,
    good strategy IME
    most ISP's are aware of TOR exit nodes, If not hiring up a hit man or something, should be OK
    something to be said for flying under the radar
    Last edited by Seychelle; 8 Hours Ago at 12:23 AM. Reason: add mention
    We are not prisoners of fate, just prisoners of our own minds
    FDR

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123