Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a afterlife after the life we have lived when we die?

Smithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud of

Default Is there a afterlife after the life we have lived when we die?

I've been reading a cracking book and it's mind blowing, One professor had explained it as simple as this,

Say for instance say a mobile phone is still on but when the mobile phone breaks the phone is still there but not working it's dead technically , It's just the phone that was once used with a perfectly fine signal has just had the signal destroyed but the phone is still there Do you get my drift? I think this is the case with us humans with our brains, once the signal is destroyed (dead) from where ever the signal is going (who knows where it is) that signal and your brain is still there am and that signal eating to reconnect with another being. Like we could be all living beings joined up to a antenna somewhere we don't know about.
    In my opinion there is WAY more to life than we know it. Or when you did die is it just a world off blackness like before like before you wernt even born?

I've Also been watching documentary 's about a 13000 year old satellite that was put their to orbit the earth to apparently spy on humans, I think its called the Black Knight or Dark Knight or something its just goes to show you if extarestial being where putting satellites 13000 years ago to spy on us, Just imagine what their technology could be like it could may well be 10 20 maybe 30 year millionaires ahead off our technology and we are just coming into our technology race when you think about it with iPhones and Ipads or whatever , I mean we didn't have light switches 150 year ago we where roaming around with candles.

Look it up its a satellite that NASA itself admits never put their and when we did start putting satellites out their to orbit the earth these astronauts where seeing it with their own eyes.

I've read a book for 5 hours now about physics and afterlife and what not I've read a lot off books.

I may get slated for this post but in just wasn't peoples opinions on the unknown such as the Afterlife and UFO's

Thanks folks, Luke
    Last edited by Smithy1; 1 Week Ago at 12:40 AM.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Utopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy1 View Post
    . . . a 13000 year old satellite that was put their to orbit the earth to apparently spy on humans, I think its called the Black Knight or Dark Knight or something its just goes to show you if extarestial being where putting satellites 13000 years ago to spy on us, Just imagine what their technology could be like it could may well be 10 20 maybe 30 year millionaires ahead off our technology and we are just coming into our technology race when you think about it with iPhones and Ipads or whatever , I mean we didn't have light switches 150 year ago we where roaming around with candles.

Look it up its a satellite that NASA itself admits never put their and when we did start putting satellites out their to orbit the earth these astronauts where seeing it with their own eyes.

I've read a book for 5 hours now about physics and afterlife and what not I've read a lot off books.

I may get slated for this post but in just wasn't peoples opinions on the unknown such as the Afterlife and UFO's

Thanks folks, Luke

You're talking about ?Oumuamua, right? As I understand it, she was just passing by and boomeranged around the sun. It's not like the thing is in an earth orbit where it could really watch what is going on down here. I guess it's like the way a comet passes into our solar system, attracted by the sun. After swinging around the sun it goes back out into the vast distances before coming back, if ever comes back. But, the idea that it is from a different star system is a huge deal none the less. I read that it would have to have been out there sailing toward us for over a million years. Difficult to imagine how that would work from such long way out. But I never got beyond Algebra II, I have to leave the knowing of things like that up to the astronomers.

Another point on the concept you started with . . . that our minds are like signals seeking points to connect . . . radio waves really are like a type of immortality, the original waves from the beginning of time still exist.
    Helpful ludwig1961 Rated helpful
    Likes Anne Onomis, rainey51 liked this post

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this doesn't speak to what you wrote exactly, @Smithy1 , but the question about afterlife? I listen to a lot of youtube videos about near death experiences. The most interesting ones are ones that "professional" folk have or report, as they tend to not be biased by some religious beliefs. Especially interesting is a guy named Eben Alexander, who ended up writing a book called Proof of Heaven. I haven't read that book, but listening to his NDE is pretty damn amazing, given he was a neurosurgeon, so he already knew a thing or two about human brains.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I agree 100 percent with you, that we really know or understand very little about the universe and our place in it. The only thing I would have to say is for myself, I am completely convinced that consciousness exists independent of physical form, and just uses physical forms to experience different dimensions. (I also believe we reincarnate, but that's a whole 'nother discussion...)
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

Denman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond repute
    Denman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond repute
    If there is an afterlife I just hope they have my meds...

Oh and no customs enforcement.
    See the young man sitting in the old man's bar, waiting for his turn to die...

MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    I like the theory where I’m the only one in existence, and my schizophrenic mind creates other identities to talk to to keep it from going insane. Lol! Like that’s not insane to begin with :-)

Or the one where Fox News is real, and everyone else is fake! Now that’s insane!
    Patriotism is the opposite of nationalism. Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism.

I do not believe in death. I will never ever die .

Actually I have this theory that any time we die, our consciousness jumps over to another timeline where we didn't. If you've ever played the PC game Soma, something similar is discussed in that, though there its about where perspective continues when more than one copy of the same person exists.
    Likes Anne Onomis, snowy, rainey51 liked this post

My personal hunch is that consciousness is, like a few authors I've read have argued, at least partly a quantum phenomenon. I'll try not to make this post too long but can elaborate more if anybody is curious about what I'm saying. Basically, the way we experience time, the way things seem to operate, how it actually works violates all our common sense.

I'm not traditionally religious, really don't know as far as higher powers go, but certain psi phenomena I'm convinced are real from what I've seen and certain studies. Telepathy for certain - probably involves entanglement, maybe some fields we can't detect at play. Other animals have retained more of this it seems. Anyways, without even having to invoke anything higher or whatever, we can explain a continuation of consciousness of some sort by extreme time dilation or leaving this timeline altogether. Reason I started leaning this way and researching this stuff is personal experience of precognition in dreams on a couple occasions and some pretty serious time dilation at times. I've said it in other posts, but I already dream incredibly vividly and the tramadol I take bumps it up through the roof. I can't prove this and people should be skeptics, but my suspicion is that sometimes in a dream state we can slightly overlap into the realm of death. I've only had the slightest glimpses of this, but a different sort of dream entirely that is completely real and where I've been able to be with a close relative that died a few years ago. This world fades away and that becomes the real one, just as in this experience that world and it's memories fade away. Think of tuning into a different channel on the radio, that is maybe what our brains are doing. The dead are on a different wavelength, not on ours, outside of our line of time.

Just my $.02, which with another five bucks might get you some Starbucks.

Utopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to beholdUtopiate is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Onomis View Post
    My personal hunch is that consciousness is, like a few authors I've read have argued, at least partly a quantum phenomenon. I'll try not to make this post too long but can elaborate more if anybody is curious about what I'm saying. Basically, the way we experience time, the way things seem to operate, how it actually works violates all our common sense.

I'm not traditionally religious, really don't know as far as higher powers go, but certain psi phenomena I'm convinced are real from what I've seen and certain studies. Telepathy for certain - probably involves entanglement, maybe some fields we can't detect at play. Other animals have retained more of this it seems. Anyways, without even having to invoke anything higher or whatever, we can explain a continuation of consciousness of some sort by extreme time dilation or leaving this timeline altogether. Reason I started leaning this way and researching this stuff is personal experience of precognition in dreams on a couple occasions and some pretty serious time dilation at times. I've said it in other posts, but I already dream incredibly vividly and the tramadol I take bumps it up through the roof. I can't prove this and people should be skeptics, but my suspicion is that sometimes in a dream state we can slightly overlap into the realm of death. I've only had the slightest glimpses of this, but a different sort of dream entirely that is completely real and where I've been able to be with a close relative that died a few years ago. This world fades away and that becomes the real one, just as in this experience that world and it's memories fade away. Think of tuning into a different channel on the radio, that is maybe what our brains are doing. The dead are on a different wavelength, not on ours, outside of our line of time.

Just my $.02, which with another five bucks might get you some Starbucks.

I'm sure you're right about quantum entanglement. A reality that is so abstract and concrete at the same time seems very likely to lead toward a greater world of unknown and unimaginable truths.

As for dreams, I remember reading some dream studies long ago, I think they were actually Freud's, and one of the findings was really interesting to me. The subjects recorded their dreams upon awakening and then again, once or twice later in the day. The differences in the dream descriptions showed that dreams continue to develop even after we awaken. The material events can change along with locations, origins and outcomes. They seemed to have a life of their own, independent from the dreamer's experience of time after awakening. Dreams may be our personal contact with places we are otherwise poorly aware of.

Or maybe they're just transient images and notions bouncing around in our heads when we sleep.
    Likes jaders, Anne Onomis, Flower, rainey51 liked this post

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Utopiate View Post
    I'm sure you're right about quantum entanglement. A reality that is so abstract and concrete at the same time seems very likely to lead toward a greater world of unknown and unimaginable truths.

As for dreams, I remember reading some dream studies long ago, I think they were actually Freud's, and one of the findings was really interesting to me. The subjects recorded their dreams upon awakening and then again, once or twice later in the day. The differences in the dream descriptions showed that dreams continue to develop even after we awaken. The material events can change along with locations, origins and outcomes. They seemed to have a life of their own, independent from the dreamer's experience of time after awakening. Dreams may be our personal contact with places we are otherwise poorly aware of.

Or maybe they're just transient images and notions bouncing around in our heads when we sleep.
    I'll go with answer number 1... That old saying - I dreamt I was a butterfly, but then when I woke up, did the butterfly fall asleep and dream of being a man?

To me, religion has extremely little to do with "spirituality." It's just some rules mostly meant to control women and the lower "masses" IMHO. However, I also think "spirituality" is most likely just phenomenon that we have yet to understand and we also don't pay attention to all the times we actually experience telepathy and precognition, etc. I've had MANY experiences of both of these in my lifetime.

I doubt humans have the capacity to really understand the universe very well from our limited capacity, but i also think our knowledge continues to evolve. If you tried to explain electricity to someone living in the stone age, they would only see it as magic, whereas it's really a natural phenomenon we've come to know and accept. I have the feeling there's a whole lot more of things like this in our future as well...
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

Morals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant futureMorals has a brilliant future

A guy at work told me something he believes and I like it a lot. Basically, when we die, our consciousness transfers to another human being born. But that the “journey” from one brain to another wipes our memory from our previous brain. He went on to explain that deja Vu is your current brain remembering experiences from your previous consciousness and applying it to your current experiences. This is why places or things you’ve never done feel familiar.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Morals View Post
    A guy at work told me something he believes and I like it a lot. Basically, when we die, our consciousness transfers to another human being born. But that the “journey” from one brain to another wipes our memory from our previous brain. He went on to explain that De Ja Vu is your current brain remembering experiences from your previous consciousness and applying it to your current experiences. This is why places or things you’ve never done feel familiar.
    I think De Ja Vu is closely related to current places or current people you know. That being said, I can't imagine a transfer of consciousness from a perhaps 80 year old to a new born to then experience something in your say 30's that the 80 year old experienced in their 30's. That would be an 80 year time difference, such places may never have existed or looked as they did.

De Ja Vu for me would be better placed in a parallel universes where your existence is happening millions, billions, trillions of times over, each with perhaps one slight variation of action and consequence. You may never die here, you could have died so many times over in each universe but you could still be living on through countless universes where a cure for old age was discovered.

The parallel universes would all be linked and every now and then your consciousness traverses a universe where you experienced that place or emotion a little earlier in that existence.
    Likes Utopiate, rainey51 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dewpoint View Post
    I think De Ja Vu is closely related to current places or current people you know. That being said, I can't imagine a transfer of consciousness from a perhaps 80 year old to a new born to then experience something in your say 30's that the 80 year old experienced in their 30's. That would be an 80 year time difference, such places may never have existed or looked as they did.

De Ja Vu for me would be better placed in a parallel universes where your existence is happening millions, billions, trillions of times over, each with perhaps one slight variation of action and consequence. You may never die here, you could have died so many times over in each universe but you could still be living on through countless universes where a cure for old age was discovered.

The parallel universes would all be linked and every now and then your consciousness traverses a universe where you experienced that place or emotion a little earlier in that existence.
    I just wish!!!! one son if a bitch would come back after dying and tell the truth about the after life....
    Helpful toby Rated helpful
    Likes amy43, rainey51, jaders liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
    I just wish!!!! one son if a bitch would come back after dying and tell the truth about the after life....
    Yes, nobody does (except when Helen Shucman claimed till she herself was almost dead that Jesus dictated A Course in Miracles, in which he says "I did not die") That was 70-80s New Age I took seriously through a hard stretch of time, but which I don't believe any more. It also supports reincarnation 'if it heartens you', which is spurious, because that doesn't mean it's true. I'm sure I still need it too, even if I can't actually think that what heartens is necessarily the truth; bad things happen. The same for 'psychic phenomena'. All sorts of folk believed what she said was really true (it being Jesus who actually wrote it, that is) based on the fact that she was an atheist at Columbia Presbyterian, and had 'conflicts' with her colleague William Thetford, and they decided 'there must be a better way', after which she had all these vivid dreams and started 'taking it down' for 7-8 years. The fact is, she may have been inspired about something, but a bit of dissonance between 2 professors is hardly major news and happens all the time (hardly an event to inspire a giant new-Christian tome), and it's clear she wrote it, even if she hadn't finally admitted it after descending into a state of psychosis the last 2 years of her life. By now, I see that book as a kind of 'eccentric novel', but it still has a big following, and is all about 'forgiveness', so that the villains always end up doing the profiteering, getting forgiven so they can go on about their business.

In reading big histories, religions and their spin-offs, whether heresies or New Age, I find what is closer to what I really believe, even if 'if it heartens you' was something I needed as well. Religions and their offshoots, as with Christianity and the Arians and Manicheans, go through different phases. It's true, that after physical death you don't get to 'do anything' physically anymore, and the thing that troubled me even when I wanted to believe in reincarnation is that you don't identify as the one from whom you've reincarnated, so what good is it even if it exists? You can't remember the thoughts and experiences of your previous self, which is obviously what anyone wants--a seamless continuity from your previous life into 'this new one'. Even Shirley MacLaine wasn't very convincing about having been a 'hooker 3 or 4 times', in that she just talked to these various snake-oil types and believed it, but nobody has remembered it in their conscious state.

Anyway, reading Edward Gibbon, which covers some 13 centuries (I'm now up to post-Mohammed's death in the 8th c., about p. 950), you see religion and spirituality as very similar, a need people have to comfort themselves with what they consider a 'true belief', especially one that wards off the fear of death. Yet there are so many of these different ones, almost as many as there are people, and there's nothing but fighting and slaughtering each other and condemning the other religions, at least until science was finally recognized, as per Paul Virilio, as 'the only religion of the future'. But rather, it still exists, with Christians feeling persecuted, Jews feeling persecuted, Muslims feeling persecuted, and the rest--and every single one of them 'persecuting back'. The New Age 'spiritualities' never make it into the mainstream, or they'd solve those pesky problems like endless war and there wouldn't be politics and nations.

That one will definitely be explored, because of people like Ray Kurzweil, who want to work toward immortality in a thoroughly scientific way, but the net result is still that the being simply somehow morphs into 'living on disc', which sounds pretty 'dead' too, just like when @Smithy1 talks about the phone no longer working being 'dead', but it was dead even while it was working. But the scientists working on these mechanical yet conscious beings are somewhat more convincing as an evolutionary phenomenon than any of the religious or spiritual things are--because they've always existed (both) and they've never solved death, nor made people stop grieving for the dead, which has to mean they think that it's the end in a very profound way.

I think it is built in to all of us to know that everybody dies, but that, as part of continuing to live and want to live, there's a part of us that says "well, I will be different, I won't die". I have that all the time, no matter how stupid my rational side sees me as being. Some have it to so great a degree that they really do become thanatophobes. There was a NYTMagazine article by David Rieff, Susan Sontag's son, whose ego was big enough to say, when she finally heard a prognosis that she knew meant she would die, screamed "That means I'm going to die. I'm not special anymore."

As for things going back to 13th c. B.C., I don't know why they're not documented at least as well as the First Babylonian Period, which still has objects from the 10th c. B.C. And you can find reports of the 25th c. B.C., the advent of agriculture, etc., which is somewhat painful to think about (too damn long, these eons.) I have found that seriously and professionally researched history sobers you up--if you're ready for it. I'm not ready for it, but I'm stuck with it anyway, and the perception is something to weep for, even if you've had a good life. Some Himalayans claim to have extended life into the thousand-years, but I don't know how this is possible without someone finding out. Maybe it is, though; they may have also mastered the art of becoming invisible when 'officialdom' starts nosing about.

Yet it's undeniably a fair question that philosophers often ask: "Why is there this 'something' instead of nothing?" Maybe nothing exists as well as all this 'something'. Maybe death is the nothing, and as Smithy also mentions, the pre-birth state may or may not have been nothing. For the ego, neither of these has anything in it for itself. But if there is an afterlife (of any kind of description), 'pre-life' would be the same, because neither has a practising ego in a body.

Mae West said "It's true you only get one life, but if you do it right, it's enough". She was often wise, which is probably why she was so free, but that one's not any easier to take than the usual in its finality. Death may itself by the 'afterlife', without anything spectacular happening that would keep from making it so different from life. I wonder if that's what we hate most--doesn't seem enough like what we're used to while living. I know I don't like it, but am not particularly reassured by anything I have ever heard of, because we still go on about life in the material world as if we really do believe that this is the one reality.
    Last edited by toby; 1 Week Ago at 06:11 PM.
    Helpful Smithy1 Rated helpful

Smithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud ofSmithy1 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Yes, nobody does (except when Helen Shucman claimed till she herself was almost dead that Jesus dictated A Course in Miracles, in which he says "I did not die") That was 70-80s New Age I took seriously through a hard stretch of time, but which I don't believe any more. It also supports reincarnation 'if it heartens you', which is spurious, because that doesn't mean it's true. I'm sure I still need it too, even if I can't actually think that what heartens is necessarily the truth; bad things happen. The same for 'psychic phenomena'. All sorts of folk believed what she said was really true (it being Jesus who actually wrote it, that is) based on the fact that she was an atheist at Columbia Presbyterian, and had 'conflicts' with her colleague William Thetford, and they decided 'there must be a better way', after which she had all these vivid dreams and started 'taking it down' for 7-8 years. The fact is, she may have been inspired about something, but a bit of dissonance between 2 professors is hardly major news and happens all the time (hardly an event to inspire a giant new-Christian tome), and it's clear she wrote it, even if she hadn't finally admitted it after descending into a state of psychosis the last 2 years of her life. By now, I see that book as a kind of 'eccentric novel', but it still has a big following, and is all about 'forgiveness', so that the villains always end up doing the profiteering, getting forgiven so they can go on about their business.

In reading big histories, religions and their spin-offs, whether heresies or New Age, I find what is closer to what I really believe, even if 'if it heartens you' was something I needed as well. Religions and their offshoots, as with Christianity and the Arians and Manicheans, go through different phases. It's true, that after physical death you don't get to 'do anything' physically anymore, and the thing that troubled me even when I wanted to believe in reincarnation is that you don't identify as the one from whom you've reincarnated, so what good is it even if it exists? You can't remember the thoughts and experiences of your previous self, which is obviously what anyone wants--a seamless continuity from your previous life into 'this new one'. Even Shirley MacLaine wasn't very convincing about having been a 'hooker 3 or 4 times', in that she just talked to these various snake-oil types and believed it, but nobody has remembered it in their conscious state.

Anyway, reading Edward Gibbon, which covers some 13 centuries (I'm now up to post-Mohammed's death in the 8th c., about p. 950), you see religion and spirituality as very similar, a need people have to comfort themselves with what they consider a 'true belief', especially one that wards off the fear of death. Yet there are so many of these different ones, almost as many as there are people, and there's nothing but fighting and slaughtering each other and condemning the other religions, at least until science was finally recognized, as per Paul Virilio, as 'the only religion of the future'. But rather, it still exists, with Christians feeling persecuted, Jews feeling persecuted, Muslims feeling persecuted, and the rest--and every single one of them 'persecuting back'. The New Age 'spiritualities' never make it into the mainstream, or they'd solve those pesky problems like endless war and there wouldn't be politics and nations.

That one will definitely be explored, because of people like Ray Kurzweil, who want to work toward immortality in a thoroughly scientific way, but the net result is still that the being simply somehow morphs into 'living on disc', which sounds pretty 'dead' too, just like when @Smithy1 talks about the phone no longer working being 'dead', but it was dead even while it was working. But the scientists working on these mechanical yet conscious beings are somewhat more convincing as an evolutionary phenomenon than any of the religious or spiritual things are--because they've always existed (both) and they've never solved death, nor made people stop grieving for the dead, which has to mean they think that it's the end in a very profound way.

I think it is built in to all of us to know that everybody dies, but that, as part of continuing to live and want to live, there's a part of us that says "well, I will be different, I won't die". I have that all the time, no matter how stupid my rational side sees me as being. Some have it to so great a degree that they really do become thanatophobes. There was a NYTMagazine article by David Rieff, Susan Sontag's son, whose ego was big enough to say, when she finally heard a prognosis that she knew meant she would die, screamed "That means I'm going to die. I'm not special anymore."

As for things going back to 13th c. B.C., I don't know why they're not documented at least as well as the First Babylonian Period, which still has objects from the 10th c. B.C. And you can find reports of the 25th c. B.C., the advent of agriculture, etc., which is somewhat painful to think about (too damn long, these eons.) I have found that seriously and professionally researched history sobers you up--if you're ready for it. I'm not ready for it, but I'm stuck with it anyway, and the perception is something to weep for, even if you've had a good life. Some Himalayans claim to have extended life into the thousand-years, but I don't know how this is possible without someone finding out. Maybe it is, though; they may have also mastered the art of becoming invisible when 'officialdom' starts nosing about.

Yet it's undeniably a fair question that philosophers often ask: "Why is there this 'something' instead of nothing?" Maybe nothing exists as well as all this 'something'. Maybe death is the nothing, and as Smithy also mentions, the pre-birth state may or may not have been nothing. For the ego, neither of these has anything in it for itself. But if there is an afterlife (of any kind of description), 'pre-life' would be the same, because neither has a practising ego in a body.

Mae West said "It's true you only get one life, but if you do it right, it's enough". She was often wise, which is probably why she was so free, but that one's not any easier to take than the usual in its finality. Death may itself by the 'afterlife', without anything spectacular happening that would keep from making it so different from life. I wonder if that's what we hate most--doesn't seem enough like what we're used to while living. I know I don't like it, but am not particularly reassured by anything I have ever heard of, because we still go on about life in the material world as if we really do believe that this is the one reality.

Cracking post that @toby my friend was a very imterestimg reading it. Ive only just peaked back at this thread i thought id leave it a few days and see what people opinions are then reply back.
    Likes toby, rainey51, CrayonBox liked this post

amy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by MRNUTTY View Post
    I like the theory where I’m the only one in existence, and my schizophrenic mind creates other identities to talk to to keep it from going insane. Lol! Like that’s not insane to begin with :-)

Or the one where Fox News is real, and everyone else is fake! Now that’s insane!
    @MNNUTTY I think you are describing the mental state of a new born baby who thinks they are the centre of the the universe and does not realise that others are separate but extensions of him. Also fits the minds of narcissists many of which I have had the misfortune to encounter.
    Last edited by amy43; 6 Days Ago at 11:55 PM.

amy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
    @RAZZEL I don't think that anyone would believe the son of a bitch and think him/her an imposter using the deception of technology that is available now! Ironic but I can see it happening, or not happening!

Well this threads took a turn lol
    Likes snowy, CrayonBox liked this post

Personally, I don't believe in life after PPE or TTM.
    Helpful snowy Rated helpful
    Listen to the LOVE. Inspired by Harry Irene (2015)

medi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud of

I wasn't brought up to be religious and we didn't go to church on Sunday. I went to Church with my Primary school. But I have my own faith kinda like hope
    And I definitely think their is life after death, There are scientific studies that have came to the conclusion that after someone is dead and minuets after the body is just a little lighter than it was before but nothing has left the body...and some people believe that it is the soul that has left the body.
    I've always kept an open mind about the possibilities of life after death, Aliens, and other myths and folklore.
    When people ask if I believe in God, It's not a yes or no answer for me, I tell them - I just have faith.....
    "Hope is a good thing, Maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies."

Artknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really niceArtknowsme is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Yes, nobody does (except when Helen Shucman claimed till she herself was almost dead that Jesus dictated A Course in Miracles, in which he says "I did not die") That was 70-80s New Age I took seriously through a hard stretch of time, but which I don't believe any more. in a body.
    Damn! I tried hard to get into Course of Miracles, but I felt in over my head. I would read a little, think about it and try to apply. It was like trying to put a round peg in a square hole. My brain just doesn't have that depth. Besides being stupid, I allegedly drive...so watch out!
    Likes jaders, CrayonBox, Anne Onomis liked this post
    Counting on someone else for your happiness is a recipe for premeditated disappointment.

22. Is there a afterlife after the life we have lived when we die?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast