Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stockpiling meds

1. Quote Originally Posted by cookiegirl View Post
    I live in pain the majority of almost every day. But I responsibly take what I am prescribed by my primary care physician. If I don't need it, I don't take it. It's when the weather goes awry or I overdo things is when I seem to have to take one. Yes due to this "crisis" nowadays due to those who abused drugs, we who truly need them are being punished for other's actions. To me it doesn't make sense one iota. What I take for pain is not the heavy duty stuff at all. I save aside in case I need them and also have gone days without taking any, in case one day they decide to take everything away from people for pain. I thank God for having these, because some days I cannot stand up straight or walk without them.

Hi Cookiegirl,

I’m new on the site and just wanted to say I am in a similar position and take my meds because I really need them and don’t actually take the max that I can because of the fears from a New doctor already trying to cut mine following my Doctor leaving. I don’t get any benefit other than pain relief and even that is not much because of being on them long term and a tolerance building to them.

It is really difficult because of Doctor’s being so wary and due to people abusing meds then leading them to refuse giving them to those who badly need them for pain etc or to cut doses. I feel for you as I am in a similar position and try to just do my best to grit my teeth (so to speak) just to try to take less than I’m allowed to ensure I have some for emergencies. There is always that fear looming with Doctor’s though despite me showing I can be trusted.

Sometimes its good (if thats the right word) to know we aren’t alone in this as it can feel like it. Feel free to message me anytime if you wish for someone to vent to. I’m not sure when I’m allowed to private message as a new member but want to help to support others going through this and this forum seems a great place to do that.

Best Wishes,
    Sadie x
    Likes calgal99, peppergirl, SoTired, bluebell, kevlar liked this post

bluebell will become famous soon enoughbluebell will become famous soon enoughbluebell will become famous soon enough

Just commenting about thw stock-piling meds title.

I was RX’ed a med once well maybe several more than once and I did not take it but saved it and refilled it so that i would have it if needed but I did not tell the doc about that plan.

I suppose he wrote that I was profiling it all those times.

Biuyt what is one to do, when they are so stingy .

well I hope this is not out of being correct to post on ths thread.

my stockpiling post
    Likes peppergirl, jakemoe, SoTired, Toby2000, kevlar liked this post
    Have a nice day.

SoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant future

Hello stockpilers,

Here is some info from the site drugs.com

Do expired medications lose their potency?

The American Medical Association (AMA) concluded in 2001 that the actual shelf life of some products is longer than the labeled expiration date. The AMA stated the best evidence resides in the Shelf Life Extension Program (SLEP) undertaken by the FDA for the Department of Defense.2,7

The original purpose of the SLEP program was twofold: to determine the actual shelf life of stockpiled military medications for future use, and to save government dollars.5 Over 3000 lots, representing 122 different drug products, were assessed in the SLEP program. Based on stability data, expiration dates on 88% of the lots were extended beyond their original expiration date for an average of 66 months. Of these 2652 lots, only 18% were terminated due to failure. Examples of common drug products that were tested with no failures included amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, diphenhydramine, and morphine sulfate injection. Drug expiration extension dates on these products ranged from 12 months to 184 months (over 15 years).8 Biologics are not included in the SLEP program.

These results suggest that many drug products may have extended shelf lives beyond their expiration date. However, it is difficult for any one consumer or health care provider to know which product could have an extended shelf life. The ability for a drug to have an extended shelf life would be dependent upon the actual drug ingredients, presence of preservatives, temperature fluctuations, light, humidity, and other storage conditions. Additionally, the drug lots tested in the SLEP program were kept in their original packaging. Once a drug is repackaged into another container, as often happens in the pharmacy, the shelf-life could decline due to environmental variations

There is more to this article, but I believe this excerpt contains the most helpful information for the purposes of this thread.

I stockpile. I have for a very long time.

I've had quite a few surgeries in the last dozen years or so. In most cases, I did not use all the painkillers I was prescribed but, like @jc776 does, I filled all the prescriptions. By the way, there is nothing dishonest about doing that. I have also bought some from IOP's.

As @seashells is saying, DO NOT KEEP your medication in the fridge unless otherwise indicated. It's damp, it's too cold and it gets exposed to light many times a day.

I developed a very time consuming - and probably obsessive - method to store my medication :

- I sort them according to their use : stimulants, pain killers, sleep / anxiety and those to be taken daily (high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.)

- I transfer them to regular pharmacy vials, which I have lined with opaque coloured paper. Four colours for fours categories.

- Absorbent cotton on the bottom of the vial and on top of the pills.

- Each vial is identified with a label printed in big typeface - in the proper colour, of course - stating the name of the drug, dosage, peak effect, ½ life, date of purchase and name of prescribing doctor or supplier. It is extremely easy to read and there is a lot lest risk of taking the wrong dosage or the wrong pill. It also makse rotation more efficient.

- If the pills came in a vacuumed pack, I leave them in there an stick the label on it until I'm ready to use them. If they came in blister strips, I put the strips in a labelled ziplock.

- If I bought the medication at my local pharmacy, I stick the pharmacy prescription label on the other side of the coloured paper, inside the the vial.

- I store the vials in black, totally opaque cheque storage boxes; each box is identified, discreetly, according to the category of the drugs it contains.

- Said boxes are stored in a closet that is private enough so that children or visitors will not feel tempted to snoop. Said closet is dry and never overheated, as it is not adjoining an exterior wall.

- And this is were you'll think I've gone nuts: I keep an inventory in an Excel file: one sheet is sorted by category/alphabetical /date; the other is sorted by the place where they are kept / alphabetical / date.

- Considering that I keep the "current" medication either in my night stand (sleeping aids or anxiety), on a counter for the regular meds I have to take in the morning or before bed time, and finally in the kitchen, for those which I have to take in the day time, it's not that silly.

- Also considering that I have drugs that date back from as far as 2010, before I rotate from the storage boxes to the more convenient place where I remember to take them, this inventory is very useful and takes very little time to update every time I finish the content of a vial or I add a fresh purchase to my stockpile.

I have read the previous posts from members who can't afford to stockpile, and they have my sympathy. I rarely use painkillers stronger than what I can find on my local pharmacy shelves and, even though I rarely can get to sleep without a sleeping aid of some sort or another, I am not addicted to benzos. I don't have to fear withdrawal.

Still, because I have gone through spans of hell -even if they were short - when a doctor or another would not give me what I needed, but really, really needed, at the moment I needed it, I started ordering online. I even have a stock of drugs I will never use. I probably could have used the money more productively or more pleasurably. I don't care. I feel secure that I will never have to depend on unfeeling practitioners in ER or in OR.

Take care now,

ST AKA The squirrel
    Some perfume always lingers on the hand that offers flowers.

seashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond repute
    seashells has a reputation beyond repute
    @SoTired...girl you got yourself a system honey. OCD MUCH??? lol...I am and do. This is awesome! Im doing it..!
    Thank for sharing that hon.
    Likes SoTired, bluebell, windowpane liked this post

SoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by seashells View Post
    @SoTired...girl you got yourself a system honey. OCD MUCH??? lol...I am and do. This is awesome! Im doing it..!
    Thank for sharing that hon.
    Well, if I am, I've never been diagnosed. I admit that in certain areas of my life, I can overdo the "organization/logistics" thing. It had been a great asset in my professional activities, because I tend to be absent minded. I just have to be careful to keep it simple, as being over-organized can be more inefficient than being sloppy.

In other areas of action, I'm not as tidy as I should be.

Just for you seashells. Examples of the finished products.

Meds top.jpg Meds side.jpg

Let's take the much too obvious OCD dimension out of my system. Since the beginning of time, women have been told that they should never be idle : they embroidered, mended, knitted... While, of course, the men of the house would smoke a pipe or, more recently, watch the game on TV. There are still young women around me who will make sure that they have something to keep their hands busy, should they succumb to the temptation of enjoying a leisurely moment watching the screen or even contemplating a sunset.

I don't knit, so, I cut out little rectangles and circles of coloured paper lining for my vials, while watching Master Piece on PBS or old Perry Mason's on ME TV.

Take care,

ST
    Likes bluebell, kevlar liked this post

ludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the roughludwig1961 is a jewel in the rough

@SoTired I am so glad I'm not the only one who watches metv. I think it is a great channel, and it's free.
    Likes SoTired, jakemoe, windowpane, Mecha liked this post

medi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant future

I always stockpile my meds, I keep a lot of extras of every med I buy, It's like a compulsion. I have a lot of different meds that I've kept. It's just like you said @bwaterson19 "It's like a safety blanket"
    I have tapered of benzo's and class A's a couple of times I had no choice and other times I tapered myself through my own decision - using my own method of what my body and mind could handle. So I know what my will power is capable of. I always think it's a wise idea to stock pile if you take meds that you are not prescribed, I am prescribed one benzo for my anxiety but it's not enough after being on it for years which is why I use other meds every few days, I don't take every day day because I'd become addicted and my tolerance would build.
    Anyway I always stay ahead with my medication. "Edited" I've read a lot of comments about storing meds and about them becoming expired. I keep my meds in air tight bottles that pharmacies give and I keep them in a dry place with no light at all. I change around some meds my stock pile once in a while and have been lucky so far.
    I hope any other members who stockpile have been lucky with no meds expiring too!
    Last edited by medi1; 1 Week Ago at 09:43 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing, Maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies."

seashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond reputeseashells has a reputation beyond repute
    @SoTired...oh you shouldn't have......very nice! I meant OCD in a good way hon. meaning you well organized ect. I meant no offense, That's a awesome way to stockpile.
    I like your style honey. Ty for the pics. Didn't PBS, have sesame street? I don't know other channel sorry.
    Last edited by seashells; 1 Week Ago at 09:09 PM.
    Likes windowpane, Mecha liked this post

@SoTired...oh you shouldn't have......very nice! I meant OCD in a good way hon. meaning you well organized ect. I meant no offense, That's a awesome way to stockpile.
    I like your style honey. Ty for the pics. Didn't PBS, have sesame street? I don't know other channel sorry.
    But, but, but.... seashells, I wasn't offended at all. You gave me a good laugh. I think there are obsessions of a sort or another hidden - or not - in everyone of us. They sometimes manifest themselves in the most unexpected ways. I have a lot of respect, not to mention compassion, for those who manage to live with pathological OCD : the permanent, terrible anxiety, insecurity, the judgement of others and the perpetual quest for the proper medication and therapy.

PBS : Public Broadcasting Services Yes, it has a lot of kids programmes. My son learnt English from watching the Canadian version of Sesame Street on the CBC (Canadian Broadcastig Corp.) ! They have great classical productions from the BBC, science such as NOVA and Nature and the BEST local, national and world news programming in the U.S.A.

ME TV: "Memorable Entertainment Television". Anything from the early fifties to the late eighties.

I have NEVER, EVER paid to watch television : no cable, no satellite, etc. I find it incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial.

We did buy an antenna from Radio-Shack (this should tell you something about how long ago that was ) that we stuck on our roof. We get all the Canadian broadcast channels, French and English, plus a few American ones. Reception is usually impeccable. I guess were are located in a spot where the waves don't encounter any obstacles.

By the way, just today, I watched an episode of NOVA about the Dead Sea Scrolls : wouldn't you know it? They were preserved because they were kept in complete darkness, in dry caves where the temperatures did not suffer from the scorching temperatures of the Judean desert. They suffered more damage in the last 70 years because of exposure to light than in the previous 2,000 years! They are now out of the clumsy hands of scholars and stored by scientists.

No, gentlemen, "men caves" are not a good place for storing and preserving drugs.

Keep cool and dry and... take care,

ST
    Helpful windowpane, Mecha, seashells Rated helpful

So @medi1 , you rrrrealy are a squirrel. Great avatar!

Likes windowpane, Mecha, medi1, seashells, amy43 liked this post

11. I used to stockpile. If you remember the old p4u IOP

out of the UK. The products, prices, reliability were

unreal. For me the best of all-time. I couldn't pump

out orders any quicker. I had such a stash I could of

opened my own pharmacy......but the real

p4u is long gone and so is my little warehouse......
    Helpful Mecha, ludwig1961, seashells Rated helpful
    Likes SoTired, jakemoe liked this post

I used to stockpile but now my supply is dwindling to an all time low, I took as and when required, I like many others always felf loads better when the stocks were up and the same goes for in reverse, I feel really anxious when low but am kind of learning that I dont want to have a stockpile as I wont reach my goal which is med free, take care
    Likes SoTired, jakemoe, ludwig1961, seashells liked this post

Stockpiling is nice, no matter how many I have. I only take what need. I'd rather have a few hundred then worrying week to week. Maybe thats just me.
    @SoTired, that's amazing about those documents. I love documentaries and learning about history.
    Likes SoTired, amy43 liked this post

Stockpiling is nice, no matter how many I have. I only take what need. I'd rather have a few hundred then worrying week to week. Maybe thats just me.
    @SoTired, that's amazing about those documents. I love documentaries and learning about history.
    Obviously, that's not just you. There are a few birds of the same feather on this thread, including me.

images.jpg

Take care,

ST
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes amy43, seashells liked this post

15. STOCKPILE!!!! :-)

Always stockpiling, it’s just habit, somethjng I dont think I’ll ever stop doing.
    Likes amy43, seashells liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234