NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 818 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: what really stops male hair loss? - help

hi @alleycat , your absolutley right there is a laser comb/brush, well it kind of looks like a brush and i am watching one at the moment on ebay. it is a lot less to buy here (the uk) than $400, ill check and let you know the exact price. the success rate it claims ie over 90% for both men and woman sounds great i know but as you say it is fairly new and that always makes me a bit wary. it gives off a red light and you just comb it through the hair. i havent read any horror stories about it on the internet mostly just how great it is if it works for you. so maybe ill bite and buy the one on ebay, if i do i will post and keep everyone updated on how good it is and if it works. i think i would be safer buying it directly from whoever the company is that has come up with the technology rather than an ebay seller (no offence to ebay seller's), so again i will have to check back in ebay as maybe the seller is legit and safe to buy it from. it definatly impressed me. so i will post again will all the details of the one on ebay ie - price, how it claims it works, who the seller is, everything that may be of help. thank you for your input and help @alleycat .
    all the best
    Helpful HarryIrene Rated helpful
    Likes SamCro, Allycat liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    COSGringo is offline Banned Reason: Reluctantly had to kick off COSGringo because he became consistently belligerent
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    @algreen123
    They've been around for years just so you know.

Get in a forum dedicated to this subject. I spent time on it. The overall consensus was fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and when you read FDA approval- are you really understanding what the approval is?

It's approved as SAFE.
    Last edited by COSGringo; 06-05-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: bad grammeer

@Jeremy Fisher : There is a positive correlation between free testosterone and male pattern baldness. I believe this is well documented. I remember hearing that from somewhere and a quick Google search confirmed it. Of course it's not a straight cause-and-effect deal. Many factors involved.

hi @COSGringo , thank you very much for telling me that, as i did from everything ive read think that the laser comb was the newest technology out there and i would impulsively just buy something to be doing something about it, if you know what i mean, so its very good to find out thats not true. your right that i should get in a forum dedicated to male hair loss - and do the reading and reading and research lazy people like me are allergic to!, but i will. as im uk based i wouldnt of thought straight away to go check out all the information available under the american FDA data. so more helpful information - thank you. did you mean that the overall consensus was fail for all male hair loss products/treatments or just for the laser comb, so that even though its FDA approved as safe it doesnt work or maybe hasnt been around long enough for an extensive enough trial to prove that it does work for over 90% of both male and female folks who have hair loss. anyway ill find the right forum and do the reading i need to rather than just holding out my hand hoping someone is gonna show me the way, laziness again. im sort of thinking i should get my husband david to join and do the work himself but to be honest i dont think he cares a two hoots (maybe a bit though - i swear ill die knowing ive never figured out men -oops controversial), about losing his hair and for a man of 56 he still has enough and yes im biased but he's a fine looking man hair or no hair so im starting to wonder if im just being a bully wife who wants him to look as fine as he does for as long as he can, which is probably a bit shallow of me really. thanks again for your post.
    take care and all the best.
    ps love the edit of you and your grammeer - very funny and nice bill murray pic.
    Helpful SamCro Rated helpful
    Likes COSGringo, HarryIrene liked this post

hi @Jeremy Fisher , i just wanted to say that i love this post and its very interesting. im a woman in your age range ( 40's but only admit to 38 and dont care who doesnt believe me which is most folks - oh vanity its an affliction. i take my hat of to you for posting as i lost a lot of hair from medical treatment and i ended up getting it back by using a tablet you take 2 of a day on an empty stomach called - pureclinica tricolopure dual strength + , it is more of a herbal/nutrient based treatment filled with masses of natural stuff thats good for hair and hair growth. but i wouldnt rule out getting teeth problems myself and taking 2mg of testosterone a day for lovley thick hair, please dont think im making light Jeremy Fisher im just trying to be funny and i guess its maybe the vanity affliction again. i really appreciate your post from woman to woman and cant wait to see if any guys do comment, because if it worked for men it sounds like probably one treatment that they could try without all the frightining side effects which stops them trying other treatments and rightly so. my hubby has had serious teeth problems not helped and probably exacerbated by his being a long time smoker. so this could well be an option for him and im excited but i make him take so many vitamins and supplements a day he says if i buy or hand him any more he'll bin the lot, its just bravado though as he takes them faithfully everyday but i dont want to push it to far but i want him to have as much protection as possible as he had cancer in his 20's and now suffers from copd. ive now got him of the marlboro's and on to an electronic cigarette which he loves and he's always making jokes about it being a great idea of his not mine, usually after a couple of glasses of wine, but i just laugh and thank god he is of the cancer sticks. well ive gone on way to much as usual and told to much personal stuff but i dont care, im just glad that there are women on here like you that i respect who are kind enough to post to help others.
    thank you take care and all the very best.
    Helpful SamCro Rated helpful
    Likes SpaceMatters, NeauxDoubt liked this post

Allycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond repute
    Allycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks for the info @COSGringo , that's a lot of money to invest if it really does not work. I guess we just have to accept ourselves flaws and and all.

It's a much easier solution.
    Likes SamCro, COSGringo, Molly W, HarryIrene liked this post

Molly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really niceMolly W is just really nice

you're right @Allycat ...I've had plastic surgery to correct some what I felt were massive deformities in the way I looked. Hasn't helped me feeling better about my body. Think it has to be confidence issues rather than a looks issue. We're never going to be perfect. And everyone in magazines is airbrushed
    Helpful Allycat, COSGringo, HarryIrene, SamCro Rated helpful
    Likes SpaceMatters, j2thalea, JackB liked this post
    Let us always be a little kinder than is necessary

COSGringo is offline Banned Reason: Reluctantly had to kick off COSGringo because he became consistently belligerent
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    @algreen123 @Allycat

So what I've read is some folks have some luck with it. However, some also feel it could simply be that you are combing and stimulating your scalp daily with this treatment. I've read really mixed reviews with this thing. Is it HairMax you are looking at?

They really have been around since around 2007/8. You know if you have the money and you want to try it I don't think it's the worst thing you could do. I am not sure I would expect a miracle from it. I really have not seen too many miracle reviews that aren't a a little sketchy. Again, you are stimulating it daily so it make not be a bad thing. I have not come across too many saying they actually lost hair from it.

They were more $ at one time. I am just apprehensive about it after reading about it a couple years ago. I really was looking into things then. Now, meh, I don't sweat it too much. I seem to be in a holding pattern which would not be bad actually. I am taking the proscar. I have not had any noticeable SE's. It's cheap for me. It's another pill you have to take everyday. I spoke to 2 dermatologists about it. One of them (the one I liked and had hair) said he's seen it work very well. He also said it may do little more than keep what you have. You do have to keep taking it. To me it's worth the few $'s a month it costs me.

I don't do much else. I use a mild shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes that nizoral. It's good enough for me. If I lose my hair then I will just have to get in darn good shape to support that "bald" look. That's how I look at it.

My brother had plugs and other mess done. I won't spend that kind of $. I don't see him often but he looked kind of "odd" the last time. It did not look worth it.

I think you should do what you think is worth it to you. Please do research it. Don't just google it as you will get mostly blog sites promoting that gizmo. Get on the forums. I don't recall them now to be honest. Do your best but don't dwell on it IMHO. I guess if I was a woman it might be more of an issue to me. Not for me to say. I can only give you my point of view.

Good luck! Could be worse, you could be this guy.

Robin Williams.jpg

Oh and algreen- thanks for the avatar and edit mention. It's the little things...

Allycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond repute
    Allycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond reputeAllycat has a reputation beyond repute
    I have to agree @Molly W , there is nothing more attractive than a person who is at peace and accepting of themselves. I rather enjoy peoples

'imperfections', it makes them unique. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    Likes Molly W, COSGringo, HarryIrene, SamCro liked this post

I don't have any issues with my hair @COSGringo , thank god for small favors! I jut love Robin Williams, whats with all this manscaping now? lol.

I kinda liked the Robin Williams look!
    Likes COSGringo, SamCro liked this post

HarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond repute
    HarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond reputeHarryIrene has a reputation beyond repute
    @COSGringo

You Friggin' crack me up Amigo..HA!

There is always the Ben Franklin look as well...Hey at least the Dude is on some Dough.....Not Mork from Ork

franklin.gif
    Likes COSGringo, Allycat liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Allycat View Post
    I don't have any issues with my hair @COSGringo , thank god for small favors! I jut love Robin Williams, whats with all this manscaping now? lol.

I kinda liked the Robin Williams look!
    Watch "Moscow on the Hudson" and get back to me on that, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Deceased View Post
    @COSGringo

You Friggin' crack me up Amigo..HA!

There is always the Ben Franklin look as well...Hey at least the Dude is on some Dough.....Not Mork from Ork

franklin.gif
    If Mork ends up on legal tender I may seriously consider leaving this country but I'd probably do the same if Nixon ended up on some.

Back in the day, men wore wigs. Perhaps one of us can bring back that look? Any takers?
    Likes HarryIrene, SamCro, Allycat liked this post

I saw that movie @COSGringo , I rather enjoyed the bath tub scene, the acting not so much! Hmm, think I'm going to pass on the wigs.
    Likes COSGringo, HarryIrene liked this post

SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by algreen123 View Post
    hi @Jeremy Fisher , i just wanted to say that i love this post and its very interesting. im a woman in your age range ( 40's but only admit to 38 and dont care who doesnt believe me which is most folks - oh vanity its an affliction. i take my hat of to you for posting as i lost a lot of hair from medical treatment and i ended up getting it back by using a tablet you take 2 of a day on an empty stomach called - pureclinica tricolopure dual strength + , it is more of a herbal/nutrient based treatment filled with masses of natural stuff thats good for hair and hair growth. but i wouldnt rule out getting teeth problems myself and taking 2mg of testosterone a day for lovley thick hair, please dont think im making light Jeremy Fisher im just trying to be funny and i guess its maybe the vanity affliction again. i really appreciate your post from woman to woman and cant wait to see if any guys do comment, because if it worked for men it sounds like probably one treatment that they could try without all the frightining side effects which stops them trying other treatments and rightly so. my hubby has had serious teeth problems not helped and probably exacerbated by his being a long time smoker. so this could well be an option for him and im excited but i make him take so many vitamins and supplements a day he says if i buy or hand him any more he'll bin the lot, its just bravado though as he takes them faithfully everyday but i dont want to push it to far but i want him to have as much protection as possible as he had cancer in his 20's and now suffers from copd. ive now got him of the marlboro's and on to an electronic cigarette which he loves and he's always making jokes about it being a great idea of his not mine, usually after a couple of glasses of wine, but i just laugh and thank god he is of the cancer sticks. well ive gone on way to much as usual and told to much personal stuff but i dont care, im just glad that there are women on here like you that i respect who are kind enough to post to help others.
    thank you take care and all the very best.
    Morning @Algreen . What a lovely post and thank you! To clarify though, my pcp did not script the testosterone for my hair. I doubt any doctor would. It's just a lovely side effect.

I was scripted it, a woman, to help balance out hormones. Then after a hyster at 50, I went off of it. My teeth which I clench (another story) started to hurt. I did some research and testoterone (sp?) is an anti-inflammatory which is secreted from one's salavia's (sp?) glands. So I went back on it.

Gosh I can't spell at all today! Morning everyone!

Oh and one of the posters (guys did post about the connection). Said it's sort of proven I think?
    "We have not inherited the earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children".

hi @kmontayne , i wanted to thank you for your help and advice and also for giving to the site by giving all the time and good advice that you have for the people on here, not just myself. i think that everybody on pharmacyreveiwers owes you and all the other moderators a huge debt of gratitude for not least keeping the site making sense by keeping the threads right or otherwise as i have previously said the site would descend into a mess of undecipherable chaos which would be of no help to anyone trying to use the it but for everything else that you do as well. thats not me being brown nosed person its just the truth. i am also grateful to you for talking to me personally and again the good advice you gave me which i will not forget. so here's a big shout out to all of the pharmacyreveiwers moderators who deserve our respect, gratitude and appreciation each and every day.
    once again thank you and take care. x
    Likes HarryIrene liked this post

core2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond reputecore2duo has a reputation beyond repute

This may well be the most uninformative post on PR (funny though). To the OP asking. I have tried everything over the years and not much works but perhaps slows down the balding process. I tried finasteride last year and had almost irreversible sexual side effects. Very scary for any man. Minoxidil seems to slow the hair fall but I don't get any re-growth from it.
    Likes HarryIrene, NeauxDoubt liked this post

18. I think there is no any solution for male baldness because it is very natural due to hormonal imbalance that occurs in male body due to this whitening of hairs is also happened in very less age there is no absolute solution but we can reduce the hair fall by using hair oil, shampoos, conditioners, various therapies prescribed by a doctor.

NeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond repute
    NeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond reputeNeauxDoubt has a reputation beyond repute
    I keep stumbling across these funny threads. One of the joys of being new I guess. This one is seriously funny.

A couple of things that stood out.

My boss has the David Crosby long hair/smooth top thing going on. Around the office we call it a "skullet". (half mullet half skull)

The best way to avoid male pattern baldness in my opinion is pick better genes. Oh. That's right. That's predetermined. Damn. I'm lucky. Got my hair from my moms side. Good thing. My dad was balding in High school.

I would totally let the baldness take over if it were to happen. BUT I have a lumpy head and its better I'm not bald. But there are men that look better bald in my opinion. Anthony Edwards from ER comes to mind Ben Kingsley just doesn't have the same effect with hair. The list goes on.

And my uncle used to say "I don't care what color it turns. As long as it don't turn loose."

And vanity is a good thing. I have a deep frown line that I have pumped full of Botox every ninety days. There. I said it. And since he's already all up in my grill with those needles I go ahead and get my crows feet done too.

Peace everyone. Funny thread.
    Here there be tygers!

Blues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to allBlues is a name known to all

stop masturbating and you'll have long flowing hair.
    You might even get a gig for a shampoo advert
    Likes NeauxDoubt liked this post
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

21. Just to make you laugh. I told my nephew that he could grow a moustache quicker by rubbing dog poo on his top lip. He was 14. Well, hey ho.

22. what really stops male hair loss? - help
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast