NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1340 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hair loss for women not caused by chemo--drugs available or is it wigs?

1. Default hair loss for women not caused by chemo--drugs available or is it wigs?

i've been hesitating to start this thread because it's such a taboo subject. it seems to be okay for men--there's a whole section on men's hair loss. i could find only one thread on this topic in 2008 and no one posted to it. so i'll take the plunge. a few years ago i noticed too much hair coming out in the drain. i have thin hair but i started out with a lot of it. it also frizzes so it doesn't look too bad (so i tell myself). but it just keeps coming out and it's about as fine as baby's hair: a ponytail is about a quarter of an inch thick. then i was trying on something in the store the other day and got really depressed because i could see the thinning in the back along the part. my other hair mostly covers it but . . .i'm still in my mid-fifties. shouldn't this happen when i'm 75? i'm wondering what other women do. there's rogaine for women and loreal makes a treatment. ulta sells a product to make hair fuller as well. has anyone used these and had success? these are some heavy duty chemicals with some scary side effects and all these treatments are expensive, especially if they don't work. any solutions? do we just have to cope with it? are wigs the only answer? i sure hate getting older.
    Likes Alicenwonderland, Chickibum, Mecha liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Hi @notcharlotte I think I may be able to at least give you some advice about this. Do either of your parents have thinning hair? This could be inherited. You may also want to check with your doctor/dermatologist about this as well. Sometimes medications can also cause hair loss. Stress can cause hair loss as well. Rogaine for women and similar solutions work but they only help for as long as you use them.

Is your hair chemically treated? Thickening shampoos can help hair to feel thicker but not "cure" the hair loss. Many women in your age bracket have this same problem and over the years I've seen many clients with this problem. Just want you to know that you are not alone!

Getting your hair trimmed or maybe a "new-do" could help and make you feel better too!
    Helpful Danie, Lilone Rated helpful
    Likes Mecha liked this post

C&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond reputeC&T has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting blog post about female hair loss recently,

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5846486

Also, a friend of mine had this (female with bald patches at age 29) and I believe her treatment was with corticosteroids.
    Helpful Sheena, notcharlotte, Mecha Rated helpful
    . . . the Jerk Store called, and they're running out of YOU!

taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute
    taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute
    Hi @notcharlotte , I may know a bit about this as well. @Sheena touched on the idea, but I want to emphasize the idea that you should look into the reasons for the hair loss before you start seeking treatment. What may help for one cause of hair loss may exacerbate another. You need to find out if it is hereditary or if it is caused by a medical condition. It could be autoimmune disease, thyroid hormone imbalance or any number of other things. It IS NOT NORMAL at your age, unless there is some reason, so DO find a dermatologist or other medical professional in whom you can trust.

I went through this problem, so I definitely feel your pain. The cause of my hair loss was probably autoimmune. It was horrible, and yes I did resort to hats and wigs for about a year. In my case, the hair loss stopped after a while. Unfortunately, I have no guarantee that it won't happen again, even though my hair has finally gotten close to where it was before.
    Gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked

6. my parents died young so i have no baseline for hair loss but as @Sheena said, it's pretty common. probably a new short style would help a lot. i thought going grey early was bad but this is worse.
    @CoryAndTrevor , read that blog and it made me feel a little better. she's a lot worse off than i am so i guess i should just get used to it. losing hair is hard because women aren't supposed to. i tell myself middle-aged women are invisible anyway, so who will notice?
    thanks for the suggestions.
    Helpful Mecha Rated helpful
    Likes C&T, Sheena liked this post

Alicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant future

I'm 31 and I have the same problem. It worsened after kids. My hair used to be very thick, now like you I could wrap a ponytail holder 6 times around. I'm fearing myself I'll be forced to get extensions or wigs. I've talked to my doctors and they weren't much help. I would say first make sure your thyroid is functioning properly. As far as shampoos and such, I've tried everything and nothing really helps. I did get some relief when I started taking vit E, B12, and Biotin.
    Helpful Mecha Rated helpful
    Likes Sheena, notcharlotte liked this post
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicenwonderland View Post
    I'm 31 and I have the same problem. It worsened after kids. My hair used to be very thick, now like you I could wrap a ponytail holder 6 times around. I'm fearing myself I'll be forced to get extensions or wigs. I've talked to my doctors and they weren't much help. I would say first make sure your thyroid is functioning properly. As far as shampoos and such, I've tried everything and nothing really helps. I did get some relief when I started taking vit E, B12, and Biotin.
    Did the doctors check your hormone levels? Sometimes they play a big part especially after having kids.
    Helpful Mecha, ladyghost Rated helpful
    Likes Alicenwonderland liked this post

Alicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant futureAlicenwonderland has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
    Did the doctors check your hormone levels? Sometimes they play a big part especially after having kids.
    I've had my thyroid checked but no female hormones.
    Helpful Sheena Rated helpful
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.

I've been dealing with hair loss issues for quite a while... About 6 years. It's a wonder I'm not bald.

Anyways, please keep in mind that even though your doctor tells you that your hormone/thyroid/anything else is normal, they are only referring to standard lab ranges. So you can be in the normal range, but still be unbalanced. I recommend getting copies of all labs done and doing your own research on your levels. After years of dealing with being in the normal range of everything, I've finally found I'm hypothyroid, and now that it's being treating, my hair loss is finally slowing.
    Last edited by Chickibum; 11-12-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Missed a word
    Helpful notcharlotte, Lilone, Sheena, MMH Rated helpful
    Likes wintermute liked this post

Lilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to beholdLilone is a splendid one to behold

I went through this 3 years ago. I was traumatized to say the least. I have long thick hair, I went to the doctor and they tested everything- all my tests were fine. I was going through a horrible, horrible time in my life and it ended up being from stress. It literally made me lose my hair and get sick. I upped my protein ( very helpful) I also take biotin and prenatal vitamins daily. It took about 6-7 months for my hair to come back. It is thick and healthy now.
    Are you under stress or taking anything that can cause hair loss @notcharlotte ?
    I'm so sorry you are going through this

- - - Updated - - -

I went through this 3 years ago. I was traumatized to say the least. I have long thick hair, I went to the doctor and they tested everything- all my tests were fine. I was going through a horrible, horrible time in my life and it ended up being from stress. It literally made me lose my hair and get sick. I upped my protein ( very helpful) I also take biotin and prenatal vitamins daily. It took about 6-7 months for my hair to come back. It is thick and healthy now.
    Are you under stress or taking anything that can cause hair loss @notcharlotte ?
    I'm so sorry you are going through this
    Helpful Sheena, notcharlotte, Mecha Rated helpful
    ~Lilone

12. i'm underweight and on disability, so there's that kind of stress. when i was 17 i could always get into bars because i looked older. i never once got carded. i guess i'm paying for it now. i look about 20 years older than i am. no wonder that i haven't had a date for 20 years! i was showing some pictures to my granddaughter and she thought the picture of my grandmother (at age 75) was me. since i'm 20 years younger than that, it was rather depressing. and the worst part was she was right, i do look like my grandmother. i guess if i make it to 75 i'll look 95. but my grandmother did have a full head of hair. enough whining for now. thanks, guys.
    Likes Mecha, Lilone liked this post

sara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to beholdsara22 is a splendid one to behold

I feel your pain, I am forced to wear wigs now. In three months after moving into this apartment, I lost half of my hair, It continues to come out in clumps. There is no getting around it, wigs are my lifesaver. I would not be able to step out of my front door without one on. I hardly have any hair left at all and it is horrifying for me to look at myself without having a wig on.
    Helpful notcharlotte, taralumia Rated helpful
    Likes Mecha, Lilone liked this post
    I stopped trying to explain myself, people can only understand from their own perceptions.

MMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sara22 View Post
    I feel your pain, I am forced to wear wigs now. In three months after moving into this apartment, I lost half of my hair, It continues to come out in clumps. There is no getting around it, wigs are my lifesaver. I would not be able to step out of my front door without one on. I hardly have any hair left at all and it is horrifying for me to look at myself without having a wig on.
    I am so sorry to hear that. I am going through a shedding stage right now. Not clumps, but since I have fine, thin hair, it is distressing. I feel like worrying about it causes stress, which causes hair loss. A vicious circle.

@mistymountainhop and @sara22 check you carrot consumption, my daughter had what you are describing and the doctor told her it was her carrot consumption. She stopped eating them, and wala new hair growth. It is something to check on. I know most people don't like carrots as a rule.

Also my brother (this must be a family thing) one year long ago turned yellow/orange from carrots....seems these carrots have some kind of mystical thing going on.

Also, if I could afford a couple of very good wigs, I would go for it in a New York Minute. I have long, good hair, but God I would love not to have to worry about it. Give me a good wig any day.

Oh yeah, how stupid is this. When I was 8 years old, me and my brother walked up to the wig store on the avenue. I brought this curly short wig and hid it in the back of the house from my mom and dad. In the morning, I left the house, got it from outback and I wore it to school the next day (4th grade, Catholic), got my wig ripped off my head, and had to clean the room for a month after school, I guess I confused those nuns they were not to happy about it. I must admit it was the stupidest thing I ever did.
    Helpful Sheena Rated helpful
    Likes notcharlotte, Lilone, taralumia liked this post
    Listen to the LOVE. Inspired by Harry Irene (2015)

MMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond reputeMMH has a reputation beyond repute

@Mecha

Hah, I should eat so many vegetables/carrots in a day to cause this.

I'm glad I didn't go to Catholic school. I don't recall anyone ever saying anything positive about it!

17. yes, @Mecha , if i ever eat a carrot, it is entirely by accident and because said carrot is disguised in some other dish. in that aforementioned catholic school we were forced to eat all of our hot lunch. usually i brought my lunch, but when i forgot it i was forced to eat the carrots and the string beans, even drink the milk and i've always hated milk. sometimes i put the hated food in a napkin, other times i stuck in all in my mouth so i could spit it out in the bathroom. oh, those were good times. and i still don't eat those foods. @Mecha and i need to start a thread on catholic school horror stories.

i just had a thought: if i became a nun no one would notice my thinning hair. nun or wig? hmmm. . .

@notcharlotte , when I was 15 I could get into night clubs. We used to take our mothers drivers licenses (no picture)and just walk up to the bouncer and hand it to him. It did not matter that it said I was born in 1930. It was the way of the world back then.

Yes, I recall forgetting my lunch. I was told to go to the convent and ask one of those old senile nuns who could not teach anymore, to make me lunch. How's this for you, the nun whips out 2 pieces of white bread, loads both sides up with mayo, slaps one piece of cheese on it, hands it to me and says "God Bless Dear". Its no wonder my cholesterol is high. Wow I rather have a mayo sandwich than a carrot and string bean mixture, ick, ick.

Yes, a Catholic School Horror Thread would be a funny thread.

Mecha
    Last edited by Mecha; 11-16-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    Likes notcharlotte, Sheena, taralumia liked this post
    Listen to the LOVE. Inspired by Harry Irene (2015)

taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute
    taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute
    Yes, Catholic school horror thread, too funny! Actually, I'm going to speak in defense of Catholic School. Mine wasn't so bad. I guess it was after the time of corporal punishment. And how did we get on this topic from hair loss?

I have to second the biotin supplements @Lilone . You have to take quite a bit, and they don't stop the hair loss. What the biotin did do was speed up the regrowth process, and help to keep what was left of my hair in good condition.
    Likes Mecha, Lilone, sara22 liked this post
    Gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked

20. Default Hair Loss For Women Thread?

I feel that the forum "Hair Loss for Men" should say "Hair Loss for Men & Women"
    Reason being is that women have hair loss too and it is even more devastating for them. I have some hair loss myself, and while I'm not bald by any means, my hair is thin.
    A lot of women have the same problem as men do. I read somewhere that about 40% of women have some sort of hair loss.
    Anyhow, that's my 2 cents and I'm sticking with it! I'm going to read some of the threads here to learn any tips.
    Likes Lilone, Spector, wintermute liked this post

21. @Pat , there is a thread i started awhile back called "hair loss for women not caused by chemo." there are some good ideas there. maybe the two threads should be merged, @Kris ?

22. hair loss for women not caused by chemo--drugs available or is it wigs?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast