NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 794 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Spironolactone/Aldactone For Hair Regrowth in Women

taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute
    taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute

Default Spironolactone/Aldactone For Hair Regrowth in Women

It has antiandrogenic effects, similar to finestride, but I'm more comfortable with the side effect profile for spironolactone. There isn't a whole lot of comparison research I can find regarding hair regrowth. What I did find is that it won't cause unwanted hair growth as it has been successfully used to treat hirsutism.

It's not for everybody, but if you don't mind the feminizing and the other possible effects, here is a good article and a rundown by the American Hair Loss Association on some treatment options for women. Good luck finding a doctor to prescribe Spiro in the U.S. though. Good luck finding a doctor to take female pattern hair loss seriously.

I'm also attaching a PDF from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. It's the best information sheet I've found detailing how to take it and what to expect.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Helpful caseycasey Rated helpful
    Gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
  3. Thank you for this information! I take spironolactone for hormonal acne but somehow I am still losing hair As a young woman this is a very distressing problem.

taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute
    taralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond reputetaralumia has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by caseycasey View Post
    Thank you for this information! I take spironolactone for hormonal acne but somehow I am still losing hair As a young woman this is a very distressing problem.
    I've heard that spiro is good for acne, but I've never met anyone who has tried it. How is that going for you?

Re hair loss, you may need to add another treatment if the spironolactone isn't enough. Do you know why you're losing hair? I just posted about this in another thread which addresses alopecia in women. In large part, teatment depends on the source of the problem.

Hair loss is especially hard for women. It's not so surprising for a man to lose hair, but it's just not socially acceptable (at least in my culture) in a woman. To make matters worse, doctors don't always take it seriously. Maybe they figure that since it's not life threatening, you shouldn't worry about it. They don't know what's normal for you, so it may take some doing to convince them that your hair loss is really problematic and that it really affects your quality of life.
    Last edited by taralumia; 10-06-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    Gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked

5. It has actually been working quite well for my acne. This is my second time on it after taking half of my current dose in my late teens for about a year in my late teens. Despite taking a few months to start working, it has really been awesome at keeping my ridiculously sensitive and breakout prone skin clear. I took it along with Bactrim in the past but I cannot and will not take any long term antibiotics for acne ever again due to being allergic to most of them. Since hormonal BC is also a no-go for me I am left with Spironolactone and topicals (I just moved from Tazorac to Retin-A Microsphere) and I'm finally the clearest I've been while not full of antibiotics.

As for my hair... There are numerous possible and likely causes for my hair loss and breakage. I take Topiramate (Topamax) for migraine prevention which is known to cause hair loss in many people. However, the first few years I was taking it I had no issues so I'm not sure if it can be to blame or not. I also have hypothyroidism that was diagnosed almost 4 years ago but it's currently well controlled with both Synthroid and Cytomel. I doubt it's related to my hypo since it is very closely monitored.

My hair has always been quite thick and curly and I prefer to wear it natural. It is not heat damaged in the slightest and it's totally virgin. Around the same time i noticed an uptick in my hair loss (and breakage around my temples) I had recently moved to a new town for college and mostly stopped using sulfates and silicones in my hair. I'm mentioning this simply because I'm not sure if it could be related.

Do you have any experience with Rogaine or generic Minoxidil? I've been considering starting it but I honestly don't know much about it!

6. Quote Originally Posted by taralumia View Post
    It has antiandrogenic effects, similar to finestride, but I'm more comfortable with the side effect profile for spironolactone. There isn't a whole lot of comparison research I can find regarding hair regrowth. What I did find is that it won't cause unwanted hair growth as it has been successfully used to treat hirsutism.

It's not for everybody, but if you don't mind the feminizing and the other possible effects, here is a good article and a rundown by the American Hair Loss Association on some treatment options for women. Good luck finding a doctor to prescribe Spiro in the U.S. though. Good luck finding a doctor to take female pattern hair loss seriously.

I'm also attaching a PDF from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. It's the best information sheet I've found detailing how to take it and what to expect.
    you should be applying vaginal estrogen to your scalp. Much more effective than spirinolactione, if you aren't worried about side effects.

7. Spironolactone/Aldactone For Hair Regrowth in Women