Thread: Hair loss question

Default Hair loss question

So I was visiting TN and had a conversation with this lady that owns a salon. She makes a pretty good living doing it so I assume she knows what she's talking about.
    But she mentioned taking Rogaine- or a chemical that's in Rogaine. And I said.. well, I already looked into that and apparently it doesn't help hair grow back. Only the prevention of it.. I thought.

And she said that there's a new ..thing or formula ..or company.. that's very similar to Rogaine but IT ACTUALLY WORKS to grow hair back.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Lifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of light

Hair grows back but if you stop it, it all falls out.

What does that mean? Hair grows back if I stop ..what?

5. @lobabe , If you stop using Rogaine.

I don't know.. I'm so confused. I thought the jury had been out on Rogaine for a minute and it was basically... nope, no good. It only prevents hair loss.

Anyone else have experience with this?

7. @lobabe , I am sure that others will post but this is what I know.

My sisters uses Rogaine. She said that for her , she has seen some new growth.

Although that is not true for everyone. For some, it only prevents more loss.

And as @Lifeliver posted, once one stops using it , the new growth falls out.
    Helpful Mrs Parker Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by lobabe View Post
    I don't know.. I'm so confused. I thought the jury had been out on Rogaine for a minute and it was basically... nope, no good. It only prevents hair loss.

Anyone else have experience with this?
    How it works/what it does depends on why you have the hair loss. If you have the male pattern baldness gene in your family, like I do, then it can help grow new hair or help
    fill in places where the hair is sparse. Even though I'm female, that stupid pattern baldness still shows up, just to a lesser degree than most men. If you have hair loss because
    of thyroid issues or Alopecia areata or hair loss after weaning a child, then I don't think Rogaine helps in those situations.

The take away from this that I want you to have is: if you can, go to your doctor and have them look and see what they think. They may want to run blood tests and make
    sure that your hair loss isn't caused by any medical problem, and if you check out ok, and the doc says you have the right scenario happening to maybe receive benefit
    from it, then you can use Rogaine. But even with the right scenario, not everyone responds to Rogaine in the same way. It's just kind of the luck of the draw.

I started a month ago and I apply it twice a day. I have thinning along my part, in my bangs, and at the crown of my head so those are the spots I focus on. I'm just starting
    to see little blonde baby hairs come in where it's been sparse and in another month or so (if I understood correctly...) those baby hairs will become my natural dark color and
    will be like normal hair, growing and doing its thing, and getting in my eyes, and stuff.
    If I was to stop applying it forever, I would lose the new hair that's grown in since I started Rogaine, but I wouldn't lose any of my original, pre-Rogaine hair.

Go to your doc- get checked out and if you have any questions- feel free to @ tag me and I'll be glad to answer or help you find answers, ok?
    Last edited by Mrs Parker; 09-30-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Helpful Blackbird123, lobabe Rated helpful
    Likes Kessa liked this post
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, b_tches!

sillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to all

Hey guys,

This is the easiest way I know to explain Rogaine to people. But first a little hair anatomy & important info........

Hair grows in 3 cycles;
    - ANAGEN PHASE or growth phase which lasts approximately 3-5yrs. Hair grows around 1/2 an inch a month, and faster in the summer than in winter. The growth phase, or anagen phase, lasts an average of 3-5 years, so a full-length hair averages 18 to 30 inches. The anagen phase generally lasts longer in Asians & can last as much as 7yrs w/hair being able to grow to 3+ feet.
    - CATAGEN PHASE. At the end of the anagen phase, your hair enters the catagen phase. A short transitional phase that lasts approximately 10 days. Hair growth slows & the hair follicle shrinks.
    - TELOGEN PHASE. Last, your hair enters the telogen phase, a resting phase when your hair is released & falls out. The follicle then remains inactive for approx 3 months & the whole process is repeated. Each hair follicle is independent & goes through the growth cycle at different times, otherwise all your hair would fall out at once. Instead, you only shed a certain number of hairs a day.
    - Diet, illness, shock, trauma & genetics can also alter these phases somewhat. Like your ANAGEN phase could be shorter & your TELOGEN phase longer thus not allowing the hair pieces to grow or mature to their full length before they fall out.

It is normal for us to shed anywhere from 80-150 hairs a day. Different factors like nationality can effect the density of each piece of your hair. If you were to slice a piece of hair in half & look at it under a microscope you would see the medulla or the core of the hair, the cortex which surrounds the medulla & then the cuticle, the hard outer shell of the hair. Hair is mainly made of keratin protein, like our fingernails. Different nationalities of hair also look very different under a microscope, like most white peoples hair is round w/the medulla center, the cortex & cuticle surrounding everything. Genetics & backgrounds effect how thin or thick each piece of hair is as well as if the cuticle lays flat on top of the cortex or if it is slightly raised, slightly raised cuticle is why some hair breaks &/or dries out easily or is real frizzy looking. Asian or Asian decent hair has a very thick compact cuticle that lays down very flat along the cortex which is why their hair is so beautifully long, straight & glossy.
    I won't go into it here but there are a lot of ridiculous myths that people say can or cannot effect the hair. Just like our nails hair is dead when it grows out of the scalp. Black hair actually looks flat under a microscope & often has a very minute medulla & does not have a cuticle that goes all the way around the cortex. This is why the hair has a kinky frizzy texture & why it has to be treated much different than any other type of hair, especially when it comes to chemical services.
    Thank God modern science has come up w/some truly amazing innovations to reduce damage during chemical services for anyone's hair as well as offer excellent nourishment & protection.

-Things that can have a negative effect on hair growth;

* Alopecia areata: Round patches of total hair loss, usually from the scalp. The cause of alopecia is unknown; the hair usually grows back. There are different theories as to why this happens, everything from major illness or their treatments, major shock or trauma to the body or to that area of hair loss. It is common for many women who get really tight weaves, done by braiding & sewing in tracks of hair, will experience patches of hair loss due to the stress from the hair being pulled so tight for so long. Also not keeping the scalp clean under the weave can cause or add a whole list of problems.
    * Male pattern baldness: The most common type of hair loss in men. Male pattern baldness usually includes either a receding hairline, hair loss at the crown, or both.
    * Female pattern baldness: In women, hair loss usually includes uniform thinning across the scalp, with a preserved hairline. The crown may be affected, but hair loss rarely proceeds to baldness as in men. See a picture of female pattern baldness.
    * Dandruff (seborrheic dermatitis): Ongoing mild inflammation of the scalp, resulting in scaly skin that may be itchy and flake off. Seborrheic dermatitis may also affect the ears and face & can also be caused by a fungus!
    * Tinea capitis (ringworm): Ringworm is NOT a worm! It is a fungal infection of the scalp, creating round patches of hair loss. Although the patches can appear in a ring shape, no worm is involved in tinea capitis.
    * Trichotillamania: A mental disorder that includes the irresistible urge to pull out one's hair. The hair pulling results in patches of noticeable hair loss; its cause is unknown.
    * Head lice: Tiny insects that live on the scalp and feed on blood. Preschool and elementary school-aged children and adults who live with children are most susceptible to catching head lice, which are only spread through close contact.
    * Telogen effluvium: A month or two after a personal shock (such as surgery, childbirth, severe stress), hair can abruptly fall out in large patches. Typically, new hair starts regrowing right away.
    * Postpartum alopecia- hair loss after delivering a baby: is a form of telogen effluvium and usually resolves without treatment.
    * Folliculitis: Inflammation of hair follicles, usually due to an infection. Staphylococcus aureus is a bacteria that frequently causes folliculitis. Acne is a form of folliculitis that is caused by inflammation. This inflammation can sometimes be worsened by the bacteria Propionibacterium acnes.
    * Piedra (trichomycosis nodularis): Fungal infection of the hair shaft. Hard nodules made of fungus cling to hair fibers, sometimes causing hair loss. There is also a WHITE Piedra & a BLACK Piedra, 2 different types of the fungus w/different causes.
    * Hirsutism: A condition in which women develop male-pattern hair (such as facial hair). An excess of testosterone due to a medical condition is usually responsible.
    * Other things that can effect the hair are: sudden shocks to the body like major & too fast weight loss, an unhealthy diet, major illness, chemotherapy (I've seen chemo patients hair come back black when it used to be blonde, curly when it used to be straight & vice versa!)

There are many things one can do to help hair grow as healthy as possible. This could potentially become a really long list & because this question was about Rogaine, I won't list them here, maybe in a different thread if anyone is interested. There are also many fallacies out there as to things that have a positive benefit on our hair or it's growth.

So Rogaine. Rogaine works by extending the ANAGEN or growth phase & reducing the TELOGEN or fall out phase allowing hair to fill back in & not fall out too soon. BUT when you stop using it your hair will go right back to where you began PLUS there is a good chance you could end up losing even more hair once you stop thus ending up in a worse position than when you started. (A little bit of info in the tiny fine print people don't usually read, but it's there!)
    Rogaine or any products that use the generic version of it, called Minoxidil, in their special product are all things I would tell people NOT to use if they can help it. I personally would never recommend it to anyone.

Just like any other part of the body & because we're all different, diagnosing someone's hair loss will vary from person to person. What may work great for me may not work at all for you so just as you would go to an eye doctor to get your eyes checked or an orthopedic Doc for your bones, diagnosing someone's hair loss & coming up w/a treatment plan will be individual & is important to talk w/a professional about your specific situation. There are a huge ton of products in the industry that promise hair growth & are nothing but crap. Until you've gotten some insight as to why you're experiencing hairloss it's pointless to waist money on things that may not have any impact on your specific situation. There are some things that won't hurt your hair, scalp or body, you just have to know some basics to make sure you're buying quality & the right type of products. These are eating healthy, ingesting beneficial vitamins, minerals, proteins, EFA's & the correct type of collagens from the right source. This will give your hair the boost it needs to grow as full & healthy as it possibly can. Keeping your scalp healthy, clean & free from inflammation will keep your follicles from becoming clogged or blocked preventing growth or causing some hair loss.

Anyhow, as I said this is a subject that could go on for ever, all the pros, all the cons & this post is now a long blog post, sorry. I just wanted to provide some basic understanding of hair, what it's made of, it's structure, how it grows, what effects it's growth & then some info about Rogaine or Minoxidil.

Hope this is of some help to those on the hunt for some good ol hair cures. I wish everyone a nice full head of healthy shiny hair! Best of luck to you!
    SP
    Last edited by sillypuppiez; 01-16-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Grammar, darn spell check!

Wow! That's some Cracker Jack info! Thank you so much, @sillypuppiez !
    What kind of doctor or what specialty should a person look for for in person advice, consultation? Staying away from quacks and snake oil peddlers
    seems like it'd be a minefield in this field.
    Thanks again!
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, b_tches!

sillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to allsillypuppiez is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Parker View Post
    Wow! That's some Cracker Jack info! Thank you so much, @sillypuppiez !
    What kind of doctor or what specialty should a person look for for in person advice, consultation? Staying away from quacks and snake oil peddlers
    seems like it'd be a minefield in this field.
    Thanks again!
    Hello!

Well thanks for that. Yes this is a multi billion dollar industry & everyone seems to have a cure for every problem under the sun & as I said there are so many fallacies & half-truths that float around out there. There are some good products & places to get info though, you just obviously don't want someone trying to tell you "oh ya this product is amazing for hair growth!" when it really is worthless but they wouldn't know enough to tell you why it's garbage or why it works.
    I'll have to look this stuf up cuz I haven't had time in quite awhile to partake in all the groups I used to be involved in w/in the health/hair/skin/nutrition arenas but I will gather some good websites & post them here if you're interested.
    In the mean time some different professionals that can help (just ask your primary care Doc for a referral to a good one or ask around some of your friends & family to see if any of them have gone to one that they really liked) or do an online search for 1 in your area, check reviews for them too, but here's a few different kind of professionals;

* Hair Stylists are among the first professionals to notice signs of hair loss. While these individuals are not licensed medical professionals, they can help you determine whether or not certain hard-to-see areas are receding, losing volume, or becoming thinner. It is recommended that you see a licensed medical professional if a stylist or hairdresser notices such signs.

* Trichologists are professionals who have studied trichology, or the health of the hair and scalp. Not all trichologists are licensed medical professionals, however. For effective hair loss treatment, we recommend patients choose a hair loss clinic and/or licensed medical professional to ensure accurate diagnosis and treatment.

* Endocrinologists are licensed medical professionals who specialize in the endocrine system, hormones, and the diseases that result from hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance can often cause hair loss, so it is common for this type of physician to see patients who suffer with thinning, shedding, or balding. They do not specialize in hair restoration, however.

*Dermatologists are licensed medical professionals who provide specialized care for the skin, nails, and hair. Physicians who are Board Certified in Dermatology are the most qualified to diagnose the root cause of hair loss and provide an effective treatment recommendation.

As far as hairstylists go, some do take xtra education to learn all about hair loss, the best products to use & ways to treat it. You could do a search of salons in your area to see if any advertise that they specialize in hairloss. Be vigilant though cuz there are all kinds of products sold at the supply stores (where stylists go to buy wholesale products to use on customers & sell to them) and there are a bunch of crap products out there, even on the proffesional end.
    Also some dermatologists will have more experience with or specialize in hairloss. Again you have to ask around w/your docs, friends, family or check the net to see if any advertise as having a lot of hairloss experience, then look for reviews on them to see if they have a bunch of satisfied customers. Many times consults are free, especially if you have insurance & get a referral from your Doc. A hairstylist may or may not charge a consult fee, everyone is different. I would just want to know if I do have to pay a small fee for a consult then that stylist better have good experience in the hair loss area.

The other day when I was at one of my docs office we got into a conversation about stem cells & all the things they're using them for now. Eventually he said they're now using them to inject into bald areas pr thin areas of people's scalps to regrow hair! Much better than transplanting hair grafts! I remember learning about this many yrs ago, I didn't know they're actually doing it now though. Pretty cool. I have no clue how much it costs though.

Well, I hope that helps some. Thinning hair stinks. I used to have such pretty hair until I got pounded w/a bunch of health issues, surgeries & major stress. It's amazing what these things do to the body! Oh and aging, a process I wish they'd event something to slow that process too! I'd give anything to have my nice thick healthy hair back. Maybe we should all start praying to the hair gods!

Good luck. Have a great day!
    SP
    Last edited by sillypuppiez; 01-20-2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Grammar

12. Actually I had lost some of my hair it had gotten very thin after I lost a lot of weight, I started to take Vitamin E about 1200 IU's a day. Just make sure you can safely take Vit. E first from your doctor. My hair really started to grow a lot in a few months. I remember reading back in college for the men, losing hair can be from too much testosterone, or hereditary. But hey give the Vitamin E a try. :-)

13. Hair loss question