NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2015 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Avara / leflumonide......anyone using it?

1. Default Avara / leflumonide......anyone using it?

My Rheumatologist has put me on Avara (as I could not tolerate Methotrexate). It seems to be working, however, from the research I have done on the internet it doesn't appear to be a very up-to-date / popular drug to use for rheumatoid arthritis / reactive arthritis (my autoimmune disease has still not been properly diagnosed).

I am currently living in rather a 'backward' country and I am not 100% confident that this is what I should be on. I would really appreciate any advice on this drug.

Welcome @Redrum. All the available meds for RA are scary as all hell! They are very strong meds and they can have some strong side effects. Not surprised you couldn't tolerate the methotrexate. Nasty stuff.

Arava is a newer drug compared to methotrexate. The next step up would be biologics like enbrel and remicade. They are VERY expensive drugs (Enbrel is $3500 per month in US altho the Amgen company has a great program for people who cant afford it)

I would say that, if you are taking Arava by itself and it WORKS, stay with it. Just keep up on the regular blood tests that your doctor will want you to take. (He should be keeping a very close eye on your liver.) And, don't take any other liver damaging things. like alcohol and tylenol!

I've taken Arava and I've taken methotrexate (very hard on liver too) and I've taken them both together (nowadays, that's a no-no). My liver survived. Never had any elevated results. I also take an herbal suplement called milk thistle that supports the liver. There's several threads on liver health that are very interesting. Here is one:

https://pharmacyreviewer.co/forum/ot...ous-organ.html

By the way, I now take Enbrel (finally have insurance) and I still take Arava. I seemed to need that little extra to keep my RA under control, even with the Enbrel (which works VERY well, none the less)

How long have you had RA, @Redrum? If you feel like talking about it, I'm always here for a fellow RA sufferer.

Kind Regards
    KCGinger
    Helpful Danie, Redrum Rated helpful

3. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post @KCGinger, it was very kind of you.

I am pleased to hear that you are using Arava and that it works for you (along with Enbrel). My main concern regarding this drug is that it doesn't seem to be one of the top/more popular drugs used for RA which rather concerns me. After Methotrexate did not work for me, this was the only other drug my rheumatologist was willing to prescribe. I just didn't want him to fob me off with a less effective/cheaper drug.....which I suppose he is really if you compare it to Enbrel, which at $3,500 per month....is a crazy amount!

I have had rheumatoid arthritis/reactive arthritis for approx 2 years now. It came on very suddenly (within weeks actually) so I am inclined to think it is Reactive Arthritis. Sounds nuts but it actually started after I had a tooth implant.

Anyway, many thanks for your post it is much appreciated and I shall continue with the Arava.
    Last edited by Redrum; 06-04-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    Likes sodisenchanted liked this post

Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
    Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Thank you so much for taking time to reply to my post @KCGinger, it was very kind of you.

I am pleased to hear that you are using Arava and that it works for you (along with Enbrel). My main concern regarding this drug is that it doesn't seem to be one of the top/more popular drugs used for RA which rather concerns me. After Methotrexate did not work for me, this was the only other drug my rheumatologist was willing to prescribe. I just didn't want him to fob me off with a less effective/cheaper drug.....which I suppose he is really if you compare it to Enbrel, which at $3,500 per month....is a crazy amount!

I have had rheumatoid arthritis/reactive arthritis for approx 2 years now. It came on very suddenly (within weeks actually) so I am inclined to think it is Reactive Arthritis. Sounds nuts but it actually started after I had a tooth implant.

Anyway, many thanks for your post it is much appreciated and I shall continue with the Arava.
    You might want to get a second opinion on the RA. I've had RA since I was 9 and it is not a "sudden" on set disease. There are several tests that need to be taken to properly diagnose including, but not limited to: RA factor (70-90% of folks with RA test positive for this), SED rate, ANA profile, T-cell, etc etc
    September 9, 2015

sodisenchanted has a spectacular aura aboutsodisenchanted has a spectacular aura aboutsodisenchanted has a spectacular aura aboutsodisenchanted has a spectacular aura aboutsodisenchanted has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post @KCGinger, it was very kind of you.

@Redrum, I am currently taking Arava and have been for while. I have also taken methotrexate which worked for me for about 3 years and then stopped. I took Plaquenil when I was first diagnosed for a year and it did nothing and the side effects for the eyes scared me to death.

I didn't think the Arava worked so I stopped taking it for almost a year and then started again and I found out it does work at least fairly well. I definitely feel better on it than off. I helps me with pain and energy. I would like to try Enbrel but the combination of no insurance and no ability to get a regular ride the 40 miles I would need to travel to get the injections makes that all but impossible.
    Likes Redrum liked this post
    and if I swallow anything evil put your finger down my throat. The Who

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.