NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 367 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Belviq the holy grail

1. Default Belviq the holy grail

Anybody seen an article in the Guardian today about Belviq? I was wondering if any forum users tried this one? I'd love to hear about your experiences.

MarySue
    Likes Stlgirl liked this post

Lumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of lightLumo is a glorious beacon of light

Never tried it but it really does look promising for people after weight loss. Stimulates the feeling of satiety / fullness.
    Primarily works on a very specific serotonin receptor subtype (5HT-2C) but may become scheduled due to being hallucinogenic at higher doses (where it has some affinity for 5HT-2A).
    Helpful Stlgirl Rated helpful

3. Yes, I’ve gone through the article. It’s pretty inspiring to know about Belqiv. However, I’ve heard a lot about Xenical being one of the best medicines for weight loss and rightly so. That’s because it allows the body to lose fat much quicker as it works on certain enzymes, whereas Belqiv works on the nervous system to suppress appetite. I reckon Xenical is a better option along with healthy lifestyle.

4. I’m curious about this also. How does it compare with other meds like phentermine? Is it an entirely new class or form of weight loss drug?

I ask this because it sounded similar to an SSRI on the ad I saw and I don’t do well with those. I’d like to know what my options are before I see Dr. Thanks!
    Last edited by Stlgirl; 10-06-2018 at 08:25 AM.

H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlgirl View Post
    I’m curious about this also. How does it compare with other meds like phentermine? Is it an entirely new class or form of weight loss drug?

I ask this because it sounded similar to an SSRI on the ad I saw and I don’t do well with those. I’d like to know what my options are before I see Dr. Thanks!
    Hi-

This drug is relatively ineffective and with a more concerning safety profile than much older, longer established legend drugs like Phentermine, Diethylpropion Hcl . Although newer Weight Loss drugs such as Qsymia or Contrave are approved for longer term use, this is a simple matter of the fact that when Phentermine and Tenuate were originally approved long ago, the original drug companies who sought FDA approval for them did no long term studies.

There is a growing trend among both General Practitioners and Physicians who specialize in Bariatric Medicine that long term prescribing of phentermine or Tenuate are not only safer than the co-morbidities associated with obesity, but have fewer side effects and are significantly less expensive than some of the newer drugs like Belviq, Qsymia and Contrave.

Like all medications, no medication is appropriate for all patient populations, so it’s always best to discuss such things with your personal physician.
    Likes Gullible, MarySue155 liked this post
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

6. Thank you! I’m happy to hear that the docs are trying to go back to more simple, helpful drugs. I really need medical assistance with my weight and my loss of energy in general. I will not take psycho somatic drugs for depression just so they can keep from writing a “controlled substance” script.
    Likes H20shed65 liked this post

H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    Thank you! I’m happy to hear that the docs are trying to go back to more simple, helpful drugs. I really need medical assistance with my weight and my loss of energy in general. I will not take psycho somatic drugs for depression just so they can keep from writing a “controlled substance” script.
    I have honestly rarely found a GP these days who will not RX phentermine long term. It’s important to understand how Physicians think when approaching this question with your doctor. First, any GP who announces they will NEVER PRESCRIBE “ Insert Drug Class Here” is a Physician to avoid. That is a function of one or two possibilities:

1) The Physician is just a bad practitioner who does not keep their education current and assumes that because a drug is scheduled, it is defacto addictive. ( Modafinil, a CIV medication in the U.S, is far less addictive than caffeine, nicotine or alcohol )

2) The Physician equates obesity with a lack of willpower or is passing a Moral Judgement on their Patient. These Physicians should have skipped medical school and opted to head to the Seminary.

That said, you should not expect any physician to continue to prescribe drugs like Phentermine, Tenuate or Bontril long term if you are not either actively losing weight, or actively maintaining a healthy weight. The reality isn’t complex. I could not even begin to count the numbers of patients I have treated in either a Hospital Setting or Hospice who are there as a direct result of horrible illnesses like Type II Diabetes, Uncontrolled High Blood Pressure and a host of Cardiovascular Diseases brought on, or made worse by a lifetime of uncontrolled obesity.

In the many years I have worked in medicine, I cannot recall once treating a patient for phentermine or Tenuate related diseases where it was clearly obvious they were either grossly abusing such medications ( and even then, generally in the context of Poly Drug Abuse ) and although Phentermine had nothing to do with the Phen/fen issues of the 1980s, I have even heard of or treated a tiny number of patients who suffered from either Valvular Disease or PPH due to fenfluramine.

The science simply does not support the fact that for some patients ( no drug is appropriate for all patients ) long term or lifelong use of diet medications with very low abuse potential offer benefits which vastly outweigh any potential risks.
    Helpful Call, Stlgirl Rated helpful

8. Thank you, I have “pre-diabetes” and I was always thin until I had my 2nd child at age 35 with which I had gestational diabetes. My goal is to avoid getting full fledged diabetes. I’ve steadily gained weight for the past few years and it’s making me crazy. I’m hoping to find something that will give me the energy to work out and raise my metabolism. I have zero energy and am not able to do basic things anymore. Somethings going on, I did just turn 41 but I’m not ok with being overweight ever. I waiting for my next doc appt and I hope we can figure it out. Thanks for your post, it helped me feel a little less hopeless

Thank you, I have “pre-diabetes” and I was always thin until I had my 2nd child at age 35 with which I had gestational diabetes. My goal is to avoid getting full fledged diabetes. I’ve steadily gained weight for the past few years and it’s making me crazy. I’m hoping to find something that will give me the energy to work out and raise my metabolism. I have zero energy and am not able to do basic things anymore. Somethings going on, I did just turn 41 but I’m not ok with being overweight ever. I waiting for my next doc appt and I hope we can figure it out. Thanks for your post, it helped me feel a little less hopeless

You should tell your physician precisely what you just posted here. The Federal Government as well as the vast majority of State Medical Boards in the United States do not expressly limit physicians prescribing ability. There are some exceptions, but they are really quite rare. The DEA, FDA and Federal Government have no authority to dictate to Medical Doctors legally licensed to practice medicine and with a valid DEA number if Controlled Substances are involved, what legally FDA approved medications may or may not be prescribed to a patient.

Where there is overwhelming evidence that a legally licensed Medical Physician or Practitioner has knowingly illegally caused any DEA classified Controlled Dangerous Substance to be diverted, misused, abused or effectively “sold” such drugs to any of their patients, the DEA CAN & WILL REVOKE THAT MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS DEA NUMBER, which prevents that practitioner from prescribing any DEA Controlled Dangerous Substances. However, the DEA has no ability to revoke the Medical License of any legally licensed practitioner. Only the State Medical Board where the practitioner is licensed may legally suspend, limit or revoke that practitioner’s medical license.

Physicians are fiercely protective of this unique power granted only to State Medical Boards.

This should not be confused with FDA or CDC “ BEST PRACTICE” Guidelines. Those are just that: Guidelines. Even in most States that try to Limit Physician’s Ability to prescribe a predefined quantity of any Controlled Dangerous Substance, Physicians can normally easily override this and prescribe as they see fit. As long as a body of their peers would view this type of incident as “ Meeting the Appropriate Standard of Care “ , there is little anyone but that State’s Medical Board can legally do.

I mention this only because some Physicians will attempt to dodge the subject with a patient by blaming the DEA, FDA, CDC or whomever as the reason that they cannot prescribe something. That is a simple dodge some practitioners use when they either do not want to directly tell a patient that they are uncomfortable for whatever reason prescribing an FDA approved drug, or want to set Guidelines especially with new patients, regarding that particular practitioner’s philosophy when it comes to prescribing Controlled Drugs.

If your physician hesitates, ask them if they would consider a 2-3 month “Trial Period” where they would prescribe you a particular Weight Loss Drug with the understanding that you will agree to see them at least once monthly, let them check your weight to be sure you are indeed losing weight and if after 3 months you have indeed lost weight, and likely lowered your A1C that they will continue to prescribe the medication as long as you adhere to those guidelines. Be very clear that you also agree that if after 2-3 months you have neither lost weight, abused the medication or your A1C has become worse or remained the same, that you will not ask them to prescribe such medications to you again. This is a very honest approach and any physician who would summarily rule this type of unwritten contract out ( without a compelling medical reason, and there may well be ) should have you looking for a new physician.

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    We are lucky to have someone so knowledgeable in the medical field here to help us. Thanks H20.

I will put in a plug for my fav weight loss method. Its drug free, does not require a lot of will power, you don't feel hungry and the pounds fall right off. Since it does not involve any drugs there are no side effects to worry about, no doc to see and no bills to pay. Sounds good right? I'm serious, it does work but soon as I explain it 99% will say no I can't do it. This is for the 1% who will do it and will benefit

Its very simple, give up sugar, flour and wheat. Also cut back on fatty food like cheese and nuts. Eat all the veggies and fruit you want, stuff yourself if you wish. That means no bread, no rolls, pasta, etc along with cake and desserts.

The reason it works is because sugar gives you food cravings and flour turns instantly into sugar in your digestion. People who give up sweets then turn to bread and pasta and wonder why they don't lose weight or not much. The first week is the hardest, you miss your fav foods and it takes a few days for the hunger cravings to go away. But then you step on the scale after a couple weeks and lo and behold you lost some weight. If you feel hungry grab an apple, some blueberries, salad, bake a sweet potato etc

I was borderline obese 6 years ago and have lost around 60 lb and kept it off except for minor fluctuations. I lost 5 lb a month the first few months, then it tapered and went to 2 lb a month and stayed at that rate. I did not feel hungry, I ate when I felt like eating but no more junk food

It helps if you also go to a weight loss group for encouragement from the others and to encourage yourself. Pitfalls to avoid are well intentioned people offering you stuff you can't eat. Accept the pie from aunt edna to avoid hurt feelings and regift it to someone or give to a hungry homeless person

@Gullible

Excellent and sound advice! I dislike the word “Diet”, as it presumes that whatever the regimen in question is, will be a short term exercise in discipline leading to a lifetime or long term resolution of a chronic health issue. What you describe would indeed be challenging, but it also is a Lifestyle Change.

And doubtless, would be very challenging to many people, but congrats on finding and sticking with a method which has clearly worked for you and sounds very healthy!

I think there are many methods to achieving long term weight loss and for some patients, medication may prove helpful. But I fear that anyone who has ever struggled with quitting smoking, losing weight, quitting drinking, etc. inherently understands that there is no one “Magic Formula” which works for all. I surely do wish there was though!

12. Oh how I wish I had seen your post before my appt! Not that it would’ve made any difference in the outcome. The Dr ordered a blood panel on me and wants to wait 3 months before I return if there’s nothing going on with the panel. He wants me to do a sleep study, which I know I don’t have sleep apnea but I’ll find the time to do it if he wants. Since I’m pre diabetic he also suggested we switch to a more aggressive form of diabetes meds instead of the metformin (even though my A1C hasn’t risen in years).

Idk what to do. Wait 3 months in fatigue and misery? This’ll be great especially during the holidays and two kids with bdays on Xmas eve. This is when I could’ve used the most help since it’s my most stressful time of year. I guess I just don’t understand what waiting 3 months will do? I’m so frustrated. I wish I knew of another doctor. We have literally 100s of drs here, it actually makes it more difficult to find one that’s a good fit than if there were less. Especially because they are all in 3 major clinics, you can only move around so much.

Oh well, thanks for listening to me and your advice was spot on. I’m in Illinois and idk what they are like regarding strict drug policies, but I guess I’m finding out the long, arduous way.

@Stlgirl

I cannot imagine why your physician wants to wait 3 more months? Did they see something in ( I’m guessing they ran a CBC and CMP as well as an A1c? ) your results that gave them pause? Was your BP high? Or, if you have a History of Cardiovascular Disease or perhaps Seizure or Stroke that might be an overly cautious prescriber.

You might try checking in your area to see if there are any Medical Practices that specialize in bariatric medicine. I’ve seen more of these types of practices in the last 2 years than previously. In my state Advanced Practice Registered Nurses ( usually referred to here as NPs ) are legally allowed to practice and prescribe without any physician supervision. This is not the case in all states. But I know several colleagues who know fellow RNs who practice in this field exclusively. They are by no means ALL good Practitioners, but most are.

As long as you inform your GP and the other practitioner that you are being treated by both, there is really nothing they can do. In fact, it’s just smart to advise every practitioner you see of every other one so they can coordinate.

Unless there is some compelling medical reason that your physician was willing to RX another Sufonaurea Class Drug ( like Glucophage. ) or something more efficacious then what you’re currently using , but not an appetite suppressant on a trial basis, that would send me hunting for a new GP.

I hope you can find a good practitioner to at least RX you an appetite suppressant on a trial basis before you try to purchase something online that may, or may not be both real and far more importantly, safe for you to take. It’s one thing to purchase meds online that you are currently taken or have an extensive history of taking safely, and quite another to order a drug as simple as an Antibiotic to attempt to treat something that may not only not help you, it may in fact harm you.

Good Luck and Google Weight Loss Clinics in your area. You may be pleasantly surprised.

14. We do have in the clinic actually, but I tried it years ago and it’s not for me. The amount of appointments they want you to have with various practitioners is ridiculous. Plus, they won’t prescribe anything unless you’re morbidly obese. My BMI is 29, which to me is far too high. Until a few years ago, it was 18. I know, full well, that exercise and good diet are the best way to deal with this, but it’s not happening until next year and everyone’s in school all day. Right now, I have 2 hrs 3-5 days a week to get things done, run errands, appts, clean.

I have no underlying health problems that would keep him from prescribing an appetite suppressant. I’m assuming it’s the clinic he works for that has heat on the drs because they have their own weight loss program. I’m sure they don’t want to see the drs giving out weight loss drugs, as the clinic has its own program I “should” be going to.

Thank you for the advice. I will check and see if there are any other weight loss clinics in the area. Maybe I’ll get lucky!

Mikedan is offline Banned Reason: Previously banned member Chris100
    Mikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to allMikedan is a name known to all

Hi , i was reading the comments on here and wanted to know what would be the best drug for loosing weight? So many different ones are out on the market. Also if someone has Thyroid issues, can you still take weight loss meds?

16. Yes I'm looking as well. Thinking phentermine is one of the better ones....any thoughts?

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.