Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good ole colonoscopy

therealchillax is offline Banned Reason: Had Issues with PR Rules and Moderators
    therealchillax has a spectacular aura abouttherealchillax has a spectacular aura abouttherealchillax has a spectacular aura abouttherealchillax has a spectacular aura abouttherealchillax has a spectacular aura about

Anyone try the Cologuard colon screening kit yet?

petenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    petenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    Thanks to all again to all who gave info, advise and well wishes as it was done today. Will post tomorrow about it as I am still trying to get back to 100% after the prep I had to take and the procedure. Post self imposed stress and anxiety, the info was a gold mine.

One piece of advise may have possibly saved my live with the anesthesia DR.

Love all of you and again the shows the true power of this forum-people helping each other which is hard to find.
    Helpful Pat, Delta L1011 Rated helpful
    Likes VEDA, H20shed65 liked this post
    A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life - Unknown

Thanks for checking in with us @petenyc. Rest up, and we'll be here for you, when you're ready to share.

Peace
    Likes rais4, petenyc liked this post

rais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to all

Seriously -thank you for asking this question! (and to all who shared their experiences) I need to get mine and I keep putting it off, Not looking forward to the prep as I have my share of stomach issues already
    Likes petenyc liked this post

petenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond reputepetenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    petenyc has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by rais4 View Post
    Seriously -thank you for asking this question! (and to all who shared their experiences) I need to get mine and I keep putting it off, Not looking forward to the prep as I have my share of stomach issues already
    Even though I have some slight issues from the endoscopy with stomach problems either from the procedure or that they removed some polyps in stomach and esophagus. Also removed some during the colonoscopy. No pain just bloating and at times feel like vomiting, I would read the post by @H20shed65 as it is as detailed and inclusive as you will get Good ole colonoscopy. I don't remember the prep being as uncomfortable as it was. But the procedure was a breeze, and recovery took no time 30min later I was getting a cab.

For me and the the procedures, the bark was worse than the bite. But the opposite for the prep which I will save for another post when this clears up. Not stressing due to the polyps and relieved that it is over and I can find out what is going on when all the results are in. For now just get past the bloating and if I do "expel the contents of my stomach" more than once will contact DR ASAP.

rais4 take my advise and just do it as the amount of fear I had was overwhelming for the procedures, but old fears die hard. Just read the link to Sheds post I put in this post above. You will be glad you finally did it.

Side note on the prep, Scott tissue has more than the advertised 1000 sheets. Thinking of getting stock in the company as a reminder or get a roll bronzed with a date on it.
    Helpful H20shed65 Rated helpful
    Likes rais4, VEDA liked this post
    A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life - Unknown

rais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to allrais4 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by petenyc View Post
    Even though I have some slight issues from the endoscopy with stomach problems either from the procedure or that they removed some polyps in stomach and esophagus. Also removed some during the colonoscopy. No pain just bloating and at times feel like vomiting, I would read the post by @H20shed65 as it is as detailed and inclusive as you will get Good ole colonoscopy. I don't remember the prep being as uncomfortable as it was. But the procedure was a breeze, and recovery took no time 30min later I was getting a cab.

For me and the the procedures, the bark was worse than the bite. But the opposite for the prep which I will save for another post when this clears up. Not stressing due to the polyps and relieved that it is over and I can find out what is going on when all the results are in. For now just get past the bloating and if I do "expel the contents of my stomach" more than once will contact DR ASAP.

rais4 take my advise and just do it as the amount of fear I had was overwhelming for the procedures, but old fears die hard. Just read the link to Sheds post I put in this post above. You will be glad you finally did it.

Side note on the prep, Scott tissue has more than the advertised 1000 sheets. Thinking of getting stock in the company as a reminder or get a roll bronzed with a date on it.
    LOL Too funny but very helpful! I will be making a call after this weekend, I will find 50 excuses not to make the appt so I'm thinking some flushable tush wipes on my desk (I work from home) will keep me on track ~ Thanks so much!
    Likes VEDA liked this post

djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    djrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond reputedjrick has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by H20shed65 View Post
    @petenyc

Glad it was useful.

I think you'll find the most up to date GI physicians have largely agreed; and studies demonstrate that the most effective and safest combination of meds for Colonoscopy are as follows:

1) Introduce Midazolam ( Versed First )

2) Next introduce a narcotic. Fentanyl is the medication of choice. Demerol was once used , but it's largely lost favor for many reasons, all valid.

3) Finally introduce Propofol to induce anesthesia.

Remember, Versed is a benzo, so it neither offers any Anesthetic Effect, or pain management; It just relaxes you. And when used on a patient with a history of recent or current Benzo use, is even less effective.

Fentanyl is a synthetic Opiate which provides excellent pain relief. Unlike Demerol ( rarely used much anymore ), Fentanyl does not leave around the toxic metabolites frequently seen with Demerol. This lessons the chance of nausea, vomiting and possible aspiration post procedure.

Finally, propofol, a true Anesthetic is generally infused throughout the procedure. An Anesthetic provides no calming " Benzo like calming effects, nor does it offer pain relief. It is simply a drug to induce sensory deprivation which ensures you will sedated throughout the procedure as well as have no memory of the actual process.

Some physicians try to get by using just higher doses of Versed and Fentanyl because this is faster and cheaper for them since the presence of an Anesthesiologist or Nurse Anesthetist is usually not required. That may benefit the doctor, but likely not you.

One last note of caution. Depending on your health insurance , insurers are required to provide Routine Colonoscopy Screenings at no charge. Be mindful that , if required by your insurer, , you verify that the GI Doc, Anesthesiologist , Facility costs are ALL In NETWORK! That is something most folks overlook until they get a $1,300.00 Charge because the Facility was NOT " In Network" or a " Preferred Provider". DO NOT EXPECT THE PHYSICIANS OFFICE TO VERIFY THIS- That falls to you.

Finally, it sounds as though this procedure will be Billed as Diagnostic- Not Screening. That MAY be appropriate, but many GI doctors have learned to tell their coders who bill for a Diagnostic Procedure and not a Routine Screening. That may be legit, but the difference could end up being a $65.00 Co-Pay for the whole procedure if billed as a Screening. If they bill it as Diagnostic, it could easily result in you receiving many expensive copays due once your insurer has paid up. And I'm talking $700+ dollars---JUST for the Physician fee. Anesthesiology and/or facility charges could easily another $2,000K to your price.

Contact your GI doctor and ask for the Office Manager or billing department and let them know that unless they find a lot of issues, you expect them to code your procedure as Screening. They may legitimately have to code and charge for Diagnostic, just be sure to ask prior and pin them down on what -- -EXACTLY--- defines how they code and submit this to your insurer.

Otherwise, I expect you'll be just fine. A little knowledge and knowing what to ask can often save you Thousand of dollars!! You'll be fine and no doubt posting horror stories of the prep here for weeks!!!

Good Luck; but you wont need it.

H20

There is so much great info in this post, I am bumping it. Someone was asking me about what drugs are used to put a person 'out' for a Colonoscopy. I remembered a detailed conversation about that and found and re-read. As always, H20 offered a fountain of great info and more. I don't even remember reading his great advise on the coding but I went rounds with an eye doctor's billing dept several months ago and got them to re-submit which lowered the part of the bill I had to pay by quite a bit. I questioned the original billing as it was sooo much higher than what I was expecting to be a covered item.

You are missed, @H20shed65
    Helpful snowy, Gullible, Delta L1011 Rated helpful
    Likes H20shed65, petenyc liked this post
    "All cruelty springs from weakness." --Seneca (4 BC - AD 65)

8. I have become an evangelist for the colonoscopy. I just had my first one after putting it off for a few years past the time they recommended it. And it’s a good thing I did it because they found a polyp. Luckily not cancerous, but still kind of on the large side. They were able to remove it during the colonoscopy which was quite fortunate. If it were much larger, that might not have been possible and it would have been a much bigger deal to get it removed. So please don’t put it off if your doc says to do it.

The experience itself was much less bad than I thought it would be. I used something called “bowl prep” two bottles of magnesium citrate solution that you drink with water. One at 6:00 Pm the day before and the other 4-6 hours before the procedure. Except for the taste of the stuff which was quite horrible, the actual “elimination” part was not so bad. It wasn’t like having diarrhea when you are sick, when there can be pain, nausea, etc. basically it was just really liquid. After drinking the stuff, it was about 3 hours of many trips to the bathroom, but I brought my iPad and played video games to distract myself.

The day of the procedure, I was given a Valium to take at home 1 hour before. I’ve never used it before so it was quite strong and pleasurable. They put me in a hospital gown and on a big comfy bed with blankets. They stuck an IV in my hand and they wheeled me into the room. The nurses were incredibly friendly, and one reassuring me that she’d had two herself already, so we “bonded” over that. Then they told me to roll on my side. Next thing I remember is being groggily awake looking at a monitor with weird images. Since they had to remove the polyp I was in there a bit longer than usual and woke early, but I was still too out of it to be concerned. I felt nothing at all during or after the procedure. As a tram user I was a little concerned about pain control but it was fine.

I’ve just learned that a friend was diagnosed with rectal cancer and his treatment will not be pleasant, surgery, chemo and radiation. If he had gone for a colonoscopy at the recommended time He may have caught it before it got bad.

Please don be afraid or too shy to get one. Do some research and pick a good clinic and it really will be much easier than you might think.
    Likes H20shed65 liked this post

9. Overall the procedure is not that bad. You just have to drink a nasty solution you have have a very limited diet a few days before the procedure. Other than that, you will have some discomfort in your abdomen immediately after the procedure from all the air they blow into your intestine. Nothing a few big farts can’t fix : )
    Helpful petenyc Rated helpful
    Likes PaisleyDaisy liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234