Thread: Ruptured appendix

wintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud of

Default Ruptured appendix

I had abdominal pain that I assumed was an ulcer, so I didn't go to the doctor. When the pain spread to my kidneys a week later, I finally went to the ER. Long story short, my appendix ruptured a week prior and my body managed to wall off the infection which saved my life.

The doctor didn't perform surgery because he said that the CT scans didn't provide a clear image of the appendix. The surrounding organs were visible, but they couldn't see the appendix. After spending three days in the hospital, I was discharged with my drain still attached. I'm taking a high dose of antibiotics and have to clean my drain daily, and I have an appointment to see my doctor in a few days. While I'm relieved that I didn't have to have surgery, I'm also nervous about having a ruptured appendix still inside of me. I've done online research, and I've found articles saying that it's common nowadays for doctors not to perform surgery on a ruptured appendix, but then I also found contradicting articles saying that it's rare to not have the surgery performed.

Does anyone have experience with keeping a ruptured appendix and not having surgery?
    Helpful Gullible, VEDA Rated helpful

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Carter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond repute
    Carter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond repute
    @wintermute Sorry to hear you are going through all this. I've never heard of it being left in but then it something I know very few people who have had a ruptured appendix.

I saw the same thing (rare, but sometimes left in) as you when I did what was almost certainly a much less internet search. Here is one link (almost 5 years old) I saw where someone asked the same question.

https://ehealthforum.com/health/rupt...n-t390937.html

I have zero medical training but if it was me, I would be try to get a second opinion from another surgeon as I would also be nervous about long term daily living a ruptured appendix inside of me.
    RULE 63: Don't Take Carter Too Seriously

Stevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant futureStevo1 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I had abdominal pain that I assumed was an ulcer, so I didn't go to the doctor. When the pain spread to my kidneys a week later, I finally went to the ER. Long story short, my appendix ruptured a week prior and my body managed to wall off the infection which saved my life.

The doctor didn't perform surgery because he said that the CT scans didn't provide a clear image of the appendix. The surrounding organs were visible, but they couldn't see the appendix. After spending three days in the hospital, I was discharged with my drain still attached. I'm taking a high dose of antibiotics and have to clean my drain daily, and I have an appointment to see my doctor in a few days. While I'm relieved that I didn't have to have surgery, I'm also nervous about having a ruptured appendix still inside of me. I've done online research, and I've found articles saying that it's common nowadays for doctors not to perform surgery on a ruptured appendix, but then I also found contradicting articles saying that it's rare to not have the surgery performed.

Does anyone have experience with keeping a ruptured appendix and not having surgery?
    When my son was about 10 he had his appendix ruptured. The reason it wasn't diagnosed properly was due to his appendix being in the wrong place. It was ultimately found tucked under his colon! He did have emergency surgery to remove it and the infected lesions throughout his abdomen. He fought those infections for 15 days after surgery. He came very close to death. Never heard of not removing it. I don't think I would be able to sleep at night knowing it was still in there!!
    Definitely get a second opinion!!!
    Good luck
    Helpful songsiren, wintermute, VEDA Rated helpful
    Likes Carter liked this post
    Stare into my Avatar....Relax

wintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud ofwintermute has much to be proud of

@Carter , thank you for the link, I hadn't read that yet. My case sounds very similar to his, like my doctor saying that he didn't operate because he thought the appendix had disintegrated.

@Stevo1 , I'm glad to hear your son recovered completely. My dad is the one who is worrying the most about the doctor not performing surgery on me. I'll ask my doctor if it's possible that my appendix is in a location that isn't showing up on the CT scan.

I will go to my appointment this week and if I'm not satisfied with the proposed course of action, I'll get a second opinion. Prior to this, I never realized how serious a ruptured appendix was. I'm surprised that I never learned about the symptoms and how important it is to see a doctor if I ever had pain in that area. I've had multiple people tell me that I'm lucky to be alive after not receiving treatment until a week after the rupture occurred.

6. i hope you get that second opinion, @wintermute . the current opinion is that an inflamed appendix can be treated with antibiotics but a ruptured one should come out. perhaps the doc meant that sine he couldn't see the appendix it might not be ruptured? hope you are feeling better.

do you also deal with chronic pain? i do and i've found that it makes it difficult to distinguish types of pain. people with chronic pain are so used to being in pain they don't realize when something else happens.

@notcharlotte , thank you for the kind words. I had my Dr appointment today, and he told me that the appendix had definitely ruptured. He said that if a person doesn't receive medical care soon after the rupture, the body creates a sack-like barrier around the ruptured appendix to contain the infection. Since I have one of these sacks in my abdomen, the Dr is certain that my desintigrated appendix is contained inside of it and they have been draining out the contents.

He said if they had performed surgery while I was at the hospital, the incision would have been huge (around 8") and I would have had to stay in the hospital for a week. If I wait 6-8 weeks and wait for the inflammation to go down, they should be able to perform the surgery with a few tiny incisions and discharge me the same day. He said there is a possibility that I may not need surgery at all.

Yes, I have chronic pain in my spine due to an injury and surgery. I agree that my chronic pain caused me to be unconcerned about the pain in my abdomen that I thought was an ulcer. I think I must have a high tolerance to pain at this point.
    Helpful calgal99, VEDA, djrick, notcharlotte Rated helpful
    Likes Keith K Stone, Carter, Gullible liked this post

calgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    @notcharlotte , thank you for the kind words. I had my Dr appointment today, and he told me that the appendix had definitely ruptured. He said that if a person doesn't receive medical care soon after the rupture, the body creates a sack-like barrier around the ruptured appendix to contain the infection. Since I have one of these sacks in my abdomen, the Dr is certain that my desintigrated appendix is contained inside of it and they have been draining out the contents.

He said if they had performed surgery while I was at the hospital, the incision would have been huge (around 8") and I would have had to stay in the hospital for a week. If I wait 6-8 weeks and wait for the inflammation to go down, they should be able to perform the surgery with a few tiny incisions and discharge me the same day. He said there is a possibility that I may not need surgery at all.

Yes, I have chronic pain in my spine due to an injury and surgery. I agree that my chronic pain caused me to be unconcerned about the pain in my abdomen that I thought was an ulcer. I think I must have a high tolerance to pain at this point.
    @wintermute , holy carp!! Keep a close awareness of your physical wellbeing, I hope that your body can assimilate this and render it inert until it can be dealt with more permanently. But, please, if you get any more/other/new symptoms, go to the ER ASAP, please, even if the additional pain doesn't seem impossible. I lost my best friend in college to appendicitis, in less than 12 hours. Appendicitis is a creepy, horrible infection. Good luck and best wishes!!

Peace
    Helpful wintermute Rated helpful
    Likes Carter liked this post

@calgal99 , thank you! I definitely learned a lesson from this awful experience, and that is not to ignore mysterious pain in my body. If I feel any pain in my abdomen or get a fever, I will go to the ER. I wish there was more awareness about appendicitis, considering how common it is and how it can be potentially fatal.
    Helpful VEDA, Gullible Rated helpful
    Likes calgal99 liked this post

10. Glad to hear you are ok and recovering. I went to the ER about 2 years ago with very intense stomach pain. I was given meds and even a CT scan and released a few hours later with them thinking it was viral. Released. Went home and slept and then received several calls from Hospital that I needed to come back in that I was having appendicitius. They had reviewed CT scan a second time. They operated and nothing had ruptured. Lots of lessons to learn. Always trust your body if something doesn't feel right.
    Helpful ludwig1961, wintermute Rated helpful

11. Ruptured appendix