NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1731 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Cat scan/lung xray diagnosed Kidney infection!?

mel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud of

Default Cat scan/lung xray diagnosed Kidney infection!?

So I went to the ER Thursday 3 days ago for a high fever extreme pain in my muscles and achey skin. No sore throat no cold symptoms no cough. My stomach was a little nauseous. In-between my shoulder blades is thus intense pain. I can't explain. They did a Cat scan, an exray, drew some blood and did A urinalysis. They come in and tell me it's a kidney infection ( the paper says UTI) My question is, wouldn't I be having a burning sensation when I go...and more lower back pain not up high?? I'm still in pain really bad on day 3. I've been taking keflex and tramadol and ibuprofen for pain. Do these symptoms really add up to a uti. I'm sure I do have one( test showed it) but also something more??? These aches and pains are almost unbearable and then trying to run around after my toddler all day. Please help me. Hopefully it is just UTI and by Monday I'm way better. I just have never had my skin and teeth and even hair ache like this before. Thanks PR!

2. the kidney is part of your urinary tract but a kidney infection is not the same as a bladder infection. the left kidney is up rather high in your middle back; that accounts for the pain. you have no pain when urinating because your bladder is not infected. a kidney infection will make you nauseous. actually you have the classic features of a kidney infection.

kidney infections can get serious quickly and affect your whole system. that's why it's important to treat them quickly. bladder infections are localized and don't usually affect the rest of your body.

i thought i had one a few months ago and read up on them. @mel114, if you don't start feeling better in 3-4 days, return to the doctor because some infections have grown tolerant to certain antibiotics. you might need a different med.

hope you feel better soon!

Mira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond repute
    Mira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond repute
    @notcharlotte you took the words right off my keyboard LOL
    My daughter used to have bad kidney infections due to the valves in her ureters not working properly. The pain in her back, nausea, very high fever were all symptoms and she never had burning.

Good info and I hope you feel better soon!
    Helpful mel114, SpaceMatters Rated helpful
    Likes notcharlotte liked this post

H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    @mel114
    @notcharlotte is correct, although Keflex is a little odd for a kidney infection, but you mentioned your Skin Hurting, so perhaps there is something else I'm missing. Keflex is normally written for UTI's , skin infections, URI , ear infections. But I expect they cultured before they wrote for Keflex. However, if after 3-4 days your symptoms worsen or do not improve, I agree with @notcharlotte that a different antibiotic may be in order.

Be Well~
    Helpful Mira, mel114, snowy Rated helpful
    Likes notcharlotte, Ravenousbird liked this post
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

mel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud ofmel114 has much to be proud of

Wow thank you both so much! I was laying bed sweating in pain can't fall asleep and so I posted this. I feel alot better just knowing the real difference in the 2!! I guess they just printed out the UTI paperwork by mistake. I always though they were almost the same! Now I know. By Tuesday if I'm not better I will be on my way to a Doctor not Er. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. @Mira how,did they diagnose her? Maybe I should mention these concerns to my Dr.! Thanks @notcharlotte any advise on how,to avoid this again? Besides water maybe vitamin or all natural remedy?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks @Watershed65. I have only had keflex a few times. Thanks everyone!
    Likes H20shed65 liked this post

Mira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond repute
    Mira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond reputeMira has a reputation beyond repute
    @mel114
    What my daughter had was congenital--underdeveloped valves in her ureters and she eventually outgrew it. That makes it a little different from run of the mill infections. When the infections kept coming back every few months, they did a few different cystograms and nuclear studies of her kidneys. The last cystogram which was a voiding cystogram (not easy for a 5 year old...) showed urine flowing back up into her kidneys and thats not supposed to happen. That was when they finally figured out what it was. The only thing they ever did for her was to treat the infections with antibiotics and within another year or so, it just stopped happening. She had the craziest high fevers. My mom thought the thermometer was broken.

UTI covers the whole urinary tract (kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra) and is kind of broad but infections of different parts do have their own terms (pyelonephritis-kidney, cystitis- bladder, urethritis- urethra) and even get more specific than that sometimes but usually a more specific diagnosis requires a little more testing. My point being that UTI is not really incorrect, its just not specific.

Give the antibiotics a few days to work and if you dont notice anything improving in a few days, go back to the doctor. As @Watershed65 mentioned, they can (or should) do a culture and sensitivity test to see which antibiotic will work the best. There may be one that works better for whichever organism you have.
    As for preventing it... drink lots of water, make sure you fully empty your bladder and have some cranberry juice every once in a while. There are some risk factors, like age (menopausal or post menopausal) or diabetes and your physician would be best to advise you on that.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment LOL. I hope it helps some!
    Helpful mel114 Rated helpful
    Likes notcharlotte, H20shed65 liked this post

Wow @Mira your daughter was only a baby when this started!! I can't imagine poor baby. I'm glad she had the right doctors that diagnosed this! I sent the hubby out for cranberry juice and a case of Ozarka this morning before he went to work. I still feel very bad the tram hardly touches the pain but 3 ibuprofen helps alot. Thanks everyone. Let's hope my 2 toddlers take it easy on mommy today!

8. @Mira, my daughter had the same exact test when she was four and the high temps. as an adult she was diagnosed with ci and still gets infections.

yes, @mel114, 6-8 glasses of water, pure cranberry juice, and yogurt with live cultures is supposed to help. also, they sell this pain killer called azo--pyridium- otc. i tried to see if it would help with a kidney infection but it just says "uti." it really relieves the pain of a uti--maybe @Watershed65 knows if it might help with kidney pain?

i hope you start to feel better soon. it's hard to watch little kids when you feel bad.
    Likes Mira liked this post

Thank you @notcharlotte. I actually love the real pure cranberry juice. I had to tell my husband 3 times. Not mixed with other fruits not diet pure juice. Thank goodness my Lil ones are pretty good at playing together and have tons of toys. My 2 yr old daughter keeps,saying. Love you mommy. Poor Mommy. Kissing my hands. Even tried rubbing my back . That makes me feel immediately better. This is probably the 1 time I wish for a Norco or 2 above a tramadol. :-/ Oh and I have to add I got the AN627 Tramadol ( A whole 20 of them) from Cvs Friday and this is just my honest opinion- can't tell any difference in the capsule 💊 I get online and these. I used to be able to tell a huge difference. I think my body is adjusted to the Thai and Indian trams finally!!! Nap time good night for a few hours I hope
    Likes Mira liked this post

H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by notcharlotte View Post
    @Mira, my daughter had the same exact test when she was four and the high temps. as an adult she was diagnosed with ci and still gets infections.

yes, @mel114, 6-8 glasses of water, pure cranberry juice, and yogurt with live cultures is supposed to help. also, they sell this pain killer called azo--pyridium- otc. i tried to see if it would help with a kidney infection but it just says "uti." it really relieves the pain of a uti--maybe @Watershed65 knows if it might help with kidney pain?

i hope you start to feel better soon. it's hard to watch little kids when you feel bad.
    Hi @mel114 & NotCharlotte

AZO or Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride is an OTC Analgesic/Mucosal Anesthetic used to relieve the pain, burning & itching often associated with common UTI's. It is NOT an antibiotic and unless your physician specifically recommended this drug, I would avoid it. Otherwise, it can be used in conjunction with an antibiotic for no more than two days. It's purpose is to relieve the pain of a UTI while the antibiotic is doing it's work. It will have no effect ( positively ) on kidney infections and is therefore not appropriate therapy for this condition.

***** FYI- It will often turn urine ORANGE/REDDISH in color and can wreck havoc on some urine cultures/tests -So ALWAYS TELL YOUR PHYSICIAN IF YOU ARE TAKING THIS MEDICATION. *****

Otherwise, this is a relatively safe OTC medication for most women. Just remember that it does not CURE anything- It is designed to provide temporary relief of UTI associated pain while your antibiotic is working.
    Helpful Danie, notcharlotte Rated helpful
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.