Thread: Soma addictive? withdrawals?

timbletoes is offline Banned Reason: Started arguments, made mostly pointless posts
    timbletoes will become famous soon enough

Default Soma addictive? withdrawals?

I have 2 herniated discs and am permanently partially disabled with a category 2 permanent cervical impairment due to an on the job injury. I was preceded oxyconten for 3 years and I took myself off, as I was being given 400 mg/ day. The detox was hell, but I suffer from spasms like Charley horses in my neck which are excruciating and make my life unbearable. I chose to only take Soma as it takes away these spasms and baclifen, flexoril, etc. Didn't work. I choose to live in pain and manage the spasms. Now my new doc has just taken me off the soma which I only take as needed. I took it every day 350 mg X2 twice daily. I have taken it for 2 years straight, then 6 months here and there, but always had it as I can screw my neck up just washing shampoo out of my hair. It's crazy. Anyways, my doc says it's highly addictive and has major withdrawal symptoms. I have never experienced any of these regardless of how long I took it for. Opiate withdrawal from the Oc was amazingly painful and horrible. I chose soma as the alternative, as I won't go through those withdrawals again. But my doc is flipping crazy telling me that I am addicted to Soma. I have never had ANY withdrawals from stopping its use suddenly. Naturally my doc cut me off suddenly, which was amusing being that his reasoning for cutting it off was that it shouldn't be used for more than 8 weeks. I have zero withdrawals, just pain. And irritation with my 25 year old doctor. Has anyone else experienced this? Have you had withdrawal from soma? If so, what were the symptoms and has anyone else had their doc take them away for these reasons?
    Helpful persnip Rated helpful
    Likes mrturnup liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Yes, Soma addiction is very possible and withdrawals can include vomiting, insomnia, cramping and intense craving. Your dose did not seem high which is likely why you avoided these symptoms.
    Its recent scheduling by the DEA has caused some doctors to re-examine its long-term use with chronic pain patients. Increased evidence does exist of abuse and diversion of Soma. Did your physician suggest alternative muscle relaxants or other therapy?
    Also, have you found that your permanent cervical impairment from a job injury (which resulted in disability) has caused you to refrain from physical activities which were former hobbies? Have you been unable to work at all?
    Just curious.
    Helpful Cash Rated helpful

gumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to beholdgumbeaux is a splendid one to behold

I talked with my PM Dr. about soma that was given to me by my ortho Dr. awhile back. I showed him I only had about 10 left and he said I'd better treat them like gold. He said they are almost more strictly controlled than opiates. Don't know if that's true, but it sure is very hard to get them prescribed now. The only option left is to get it thru IOP's.
    It seems like every med that actually helps with pain is being taken away, or so hard to get.

It makes me so angry to see so many legit people suffering because of those that have abused these meds. Making everyone suffer is just not right or humane.
    And like I've said before, people in so much pain will end up buying street drugs for relief. When you get desperate enough, what other option do you have? I believe it will make their "drug war" blow up in their faces. Good luck with that DEA.
    Helpful persnip Rated helpful
    Likes daryl55, File Error 500 liked this post

Nothing is as uncomfortable as opiate withdrawal

Reigning Blood will become famous soon enough

Back when I first started having chronic migraines, my Dr. prescribed Depakote to try to reduce their occurance, and at the time it worked - but when I stopped taking them I had withdrawals that were even worse than when I stopped the hydrocodone I had taken prior. It was awful. I never thought it could be as bad as the opiates were, but it was even worse.
    Likes File Error 500 liked this post

7. IME the following are the worse to withdrawal from:

Benzodiazepines
    Tramadol
    Depakote
    Antidepressants and Antipsychotics

Then opiates.

@timbletoes I have found Soma to one of the most addictive medications around. The withdrawal (for me at least) is different tun others - muscle aches, insomnia, visual disturbances (i.e. hallucinations), debilitating anxiety (literally unable to move). These symptoms lasted for 3 months. It is not as rough as xanax but it last a lot longer. And the hallucinations are pretty scary - try working while actively hallucinating - not easy. Anyone else have these symptoms?

- - - Updated - - -

Like @gumbeaux (must be from LA) my docs stopped prescribing Soma for legit back problems 3 years ago. I haas been taking them through my doc for sometime and inquired about the change and he said they are highly addictive and new FDA regs discouraged there use. Anyone been able to get a real script for those lately? Doubtful, should be a big clue that they are bad news.

I need some help from any members on this topic as I have never experienced this:

I can say from personal experience it is very addicting. I dont know if it's physically addicting (i'm sure it is but I have never wd from it), but it's definitely psychologically addicting. I'm currently taking it and can't go wo it. I can go 12 hrs wo it, but after that I feel all weird. I'm ok with coming off it as it has become a problem, but am worried about seizures only. I'm embarrassed to say the amount I take, about 8 a day. Is this causing organ damage? Does it hurt the liver? And finally, would Flexeril be a good taper med? It's a strange drug, very effective sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work. It also causes confusion like crazy.

Any info would helpful,
    Thanks,
    J

10. Some is definitely something that has withdrawal symptoms but the worst withdrawal I have ever experiences was Benzodiazepines. That is a solid 6 month withdrawal. Not to be taken lightly. As with any medication you have to be careful and take as directed. If you feel your spiraling out of control then you need to seek professional help.

Soma can definitely give you withdrawal symptoms it must be much harder if your in pain. I have done that too with a serious neuro-surgery which put me on opiods legitimately for two years. That was not fun to come off of. It was horrible but believe it or not opioid withdrawal feels horrible but your life isn't in danger as much as other drugs / alcohol.

Benzo's was the worst though. At least for me. I'd google SOMA withdrawal I don't know how serious it is. I know benzo's and alcohol are very serious and dangerous.

I didn't take Soma very long but I would definitely not quit cold turkey without some professional help or a lot of research. Of Course, this is just my opinion, I am no doctor or medical professional.

Quote Originally Posted by jayther View Post
    I need some help from any members on this topic as I have never experienced this:

I can say from personal experience it is very addicting. I dont know if it's physically addicting (i'm sure it is but I have never wd from it), but it's definitely psychologically addicting. I'm currently taking it and can't go wo it. I can go 12 hrs wo it, but after that I feel all weird. I'm ok with coming off it as it has become a problem, but am worried about seizures only. I'm embarrassed to say the amount I take, about 8 a day. Is this causing organ damage? Does it hurt the liver? And finally, would Flexeril be a good taper med? It's a strange drug, very effective sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work. It also causes confusion like crazy.

Any info would helpful,
    Thanks,
    J
    Some people find withdrawal from Soma to be much worse than other barbs/benzos. However, much like discontinuation from those drugs, a taper can be effective.
    I would access a physician or detox facility and be switched over to a more typical benzo like Valium and get on a supervised taper.
    I'm not aware (or a doctor) but have not heard of seizures or organ damage if properly tapered. Do not stop cold turkey, especially at your current dose.
    The weird psychological symptoms you describe are often cited.
    Unlike typical benzos, overdose is very possible even without concurrent alcohol use. Don't drink alcohol. Please.
    Helpful core2duo, Rylee Rated helpful

I didn't find Soma to be as addictive as opiates such as hydrocodone and especially tramadol. However, what I have found is that it loses its effect completely on me after more than 3 or 4 days of continuous use. I can take two or three pills at a time and feel nothing. Does this happen to anyone else? (It can also happen to me with Ambien.) Apparently I have very strange chemistry.
    Last edited by megg; 05-25-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    Likes notcharlotte liked this post

Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Roz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond reputeRoz has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by megg View Post
    I didn't find Soma to be as addictive as opiates such as hydrocodone and especially tramadol. However, what I have found is that its effect completely on me after more than 3 or 4 days of continuous use. I can take two or three pills at a time and feel nothing. Does this happen to anyone else? (It can also happen to me with Ambien.) Apparently I have very strange chemistry.
    No you're correct IMO.
    Mrs Roz took Soma for headaches and it did nothing.
    Now it's Vicodin & Valium only.
    Ambien too.
    Likes notcharlotte liked this post

It is a strange drug, It's all over the place for me, I feel like shit when I take it....and feel like shit when I don't take it??? I'm trying to taper but get this horrendous Fuzzy\foggy fealing. I know I need to cut back otherwise I will be at 10 a day next week for sure.

I read one post on a forum where this guy was taking 180 a week! wtf?? I absolutely believe it too, tolerance builds faster than anything I have used. I dont know how people function at that dose,
    If anyone has a taper plan I would love to hear it. I've come off many drugs but this one has me baffled, I have a few etizolam and gabapentin
    @alumni, good to hear from you. You have given me great advice over the years
    J
    Likes pearlsjam liked this post

Well, here's an update if anyone is interested. I stopped cold turkey 4 days ago (not by choice, my parcel never showed). It has been rough but nothing like opiates or benzos. I was down to 3-5 a day when I stopped. I was mostly worried about seizures the first 72 hrs but I guess i'm clear of that. I have just felt really out of it and disconnected with the world. Hoping a few more days of this and i'll be back to normal.
    Likes Kessa, Rylee liked this post

16. I used to take huge doses of Soma. And, what others have said about not being able to get it prescribed anymore is correct. My doctor said it was now considered a "demon drug". But, when I went off those large doses I didn't really have bad withdrawals other than insomnia for a few days and being a little nervous. It definitely wasn't too bad...for me anyway. If you have some other kind of benzo to take temporarily (with caution of course) you should be fine. And I took Soma like that in high doses for several years. It sounds like you are doing ok. Congrats!
    Likes Rylee liked this post

dearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to alldearie23 is a name known to all

The most I've ever had of soma is a half and it just made me a bit sleepy.
    But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm - Stevie Nicks

18. Valium (benzodiazepine) is very difficult when it finally gets out of your system-very bad some cases.

I function very well on Soma do to my work, which is backbreaking, so running out of that is not fun either. Not as strong as benzodiazepines withdrawals but a noticeable effect....Soma just really helps the pains with the CNS/spinal column/ all over ache. Imo, one of the best meds out there for pain and being able to function on it (according to your dosing) that I have ever used.