Thread: Drug Test "SOMA"

1. Default Drug Test "SOMA"

I went in for more normal 6 panel drug test (monthly) and had my doctor said to me. Hey by the way, you have come up positive for "SOMA" the past two drug tests (which happened to be two days apart so I discounted the timing). He showed me the positive result and the confirmation and I sat their wondering how this could happen as for years it never did (Not non stop)? Anyone have any ideas? I've taken SOMA maybe a two dozen times over two years, but I did take it two days last month not together of course. Thank You

2. Seems as if SOMA was added to the test. Or discovered in a further analysis?

3. That is what is baffling me. It is a standard 6 panel. I have taken the same medications and test for years now all of a sudden it shows up? Are they offering free Soma testing as a bonus? What about Tramadol will that come up next I mean if I took it? Muscle Relaxers? Why is Soma showing up all of a sudden. I saw the 6 panel standard drug test right on the paperwork he showed me a copy?

SurferGirl will become famous soon enoughSurferGirl will become famous soon enoughSurferGirl will become famous soon enoughSurferGirl will become famous soon enough

Is this a pain-contract drug test with your pharmacy/doctor or something for work? Curious as I'm recently on pain contract for hydrocodone and have to outsource my own soma since they stopped prescribing it. The soma is more beneficial and keeps symptoms from flaring far better than the HC

Omega_Human will become famous soon enoughOmega_Human will become famous soon enoughOmega_Human will become famous soon enough

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but when I looked at my roughly 25 panel pain management urine screen there was a note for carisporodol (sp) in that the particular test was unable to differentiate between it and something else. I'm on the road for the holidays so don't have the exact notes but there is obviously something which can cause a false positive. I'm unable to cite sources for a few days.
    I can sit here and try to remember the metabolic pathway - but part of what makes Soma so, well, pleasant... is that at some point converts to a different drug which can cause euphoria. No sources here so take with a grain of salt.
    With some research you might be able to make a case, but 6 months later it might not do you any good.

Omega_Human will become famous soon enoughOmega_Human will become famous soon enoughOmega_Human will become famous soon enough

This time I counted the lines, it was a 44 panel pain management screen.
    Here is the line about Carisoprodol / Soma:
    "The carisoprodol immunoassay has cross-reactivity to carisoprodol and meprobamate and cannot distinguish between the two drugs."

Extra note - I found interesting - "This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by ARUP Laboratories. The U.S. FDA has not approved or cleared this test; however, FDA clearance or approval is not currently required for clinical use. The results are not intended to be used as the sole means for clinical diagnosis or patient management decisions."

After more digging, found a copy of a test by Cordant Health Solutions (can't view their website without exposing myself) and their test does differentiate between carisoprodol and meprobamate. If I counted correctly it is a 73 drug panel. Method is listed as Liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Cost of test, over $7500.

Quote Originally Posted by Figuretheworld45 View Post
    I went in for more normal 6 panel drug test (monthly) and had my doctor said to me. Hey by the way, you have come up positive for "SOMA" the past two drug tests (which happened to be two days apart so I discounted the timing). He showed me the positive result and the confirmation and I sat their wondering how this could happen as for years it never did (Not non stop)? Anyone have any ideas? I've taken SOMA maybe a two dozen times over two years, but I did take it two days last month not together of course. Thank You
    They used to prescribe Equanil, and Milltown. These were the brand names of the generic drug Meprobamate. It fell out of favor, because of "abuse potential." As strange as it may seem, the scheduling has no bearing on how well anything works. It could be the best thing ever developed, but they actually use people that have had drug dependencies to "test" new Meds. If they report euphoria, they would like to take it again, etc., they schedule it higher based on this data. Schedule 1 is no legitimate use at all.

After they phased out Meprobamate, they discovered Carisprodal a/k/a Soma, is metabolized into Meprobamate, after its first metabolic pass. So, instead of being prescribed Mepro, Soma becomes the same exact thing. The reason it was added to the test you took, is they look for anything scheduled, as they consider the higher the schedule, the higher the risk for "diversion," which simply means that it has the potential to be abused, or can cause physical, mental, or both, dependency. Therefore, it might be "diverted" to others that are seeking a medication to abuse. All of the Benzos where originally schedule 4, but as it turned out, despite no change in formulation, many states treated them like schedule 2, even though they weren't. Why? People like them! I kid you not!
    Helpful Gullible, sillypuppiez, Gladheart Rated helpful
    Likes Omega_Human liked this post

I am tested by my pain management clinic. For years soma was not detected in the test. I took it regularly. My last appointment the doctor said, "are you taking Soma because it showed up in your test'? I had to come up with a fast explanation. It is on most tests for pain management now.
    Last edited by chell55; 12-27-2018 at 01:31 PM.

sillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to beholdsillypuppiez is a splendid one to behold

Hey all!

A 2 part question for you all....

So if you don't normally take Soma regularly & take just 1 tab here & there on rare occasion, have no tolly to it, how long does it take to clear the system? How long in this scenario would you need to make sure you've stopped taking it before your pain mngmt appt??

Also I've read this many times but can't remember where now. There's an over the counter med that has part of what's in Soma, anyone know which over the counter product it is??? If you got pegged for Soma w/a surprise UA from your pain clinic, is the over the counter product something you could use as a potential reason??

Thanks so much!! Happy New Year!
    SP

Quote Originally Posted by sillypuppiez View Post
    Hey all!

A 2 part question for you all....

So if you don't normally take Soma regularly & take just 1 tab here & there on rare occasion, have no tolly to it, how long does it take to clear the system? How long in this scenario would you need to make sure you've stopped taking it before your pain mngmt appt??

Also I've read this many times but can't remember where now. There's an over the counter med that has part of what's in Soma, anyone know which over the counter product it is??? If you got pegged for Soma w/a surprise UA from your pain clinic, is the over the counter product something you could use as a potential reason??

Thanks so much!! Happy New Year!
    SP
    You are definitely thinking of Soma. It was only recently (within the last few years, maybe a little longer) changed from Non-Scheduled to Scheduled. I don't know exactly how long it takes to be out of your system, and even if you find the general answer, remember that everyones metabolism is different. It starts with Carisprodal, but your body metabolizes it into meprobamate, which is scheduled.

When I was dealing with one of my Pain Management doctors, as I mentioned in another thread, one really wanted me to stop my Xanax. I pushed back, after I actually tried to do a quick taper, that it was ridiculous, and unfair, that I should be fighting off panic attacks, because this doctor decided that I should not take a legitimately prescribed medication. He let it slip, and I can tell you it was a slip, because it was obvious from his demeanor, that he regretted telling me this, but he actually said "Do not take it 72 hours before an appointment" So he thought I would fly through a test, with a simple 72 hour window. The half life of Alprazolam is definitely less than 72 hours. He may have added some time to be sure, but the half life, and complete clearance, are two different things.

I suggest just a simple search of the same question, but do not rely on one answer. It is usually tied to its half life, but what they look for in a gas chromatography test is the metabolites you excrete, after using a med. For example, the very short half life of any med may not line up exactly with when your body is done excreting metabolites. I remember that Halcyon (generic name Triazolam) has an extremely short half-life of 2 to 4 hours. Does that mean you would pass a test the next day? I don't think so. The half life is the exact time it works, as intended, in your system. But many meds have a longer excretion, because as your body filters it from your system, it may stop its functionality, but you may still be excreting harmless metabolites from your system. They may be harmless to you, but they are the tell tale markers that are looked for in testing panels. I would guess that maybe 24 hours would be good, but that is only a guess. The best thing you could do is search for, with any specific med, what would be "the time to fully excrete all metabolites." I would have gladly looked for you, but the problem arises that you may have different answers from different sources. You basically have to look at a lot of answers, asses the credibility of each source, as is it just an opinion, or is it from a study done by the actual patent holder, manufacturer, or a qualified research lab, just as examples. So spending a lot of time, and factoring in a lot of data, is the best way to come up with an answer that you can somewhat rely on.

Happy New Year to you, and everyone on the forum, including the amazing Mods, and Doc B!
    Helpful Qtrgirl Rated helpful
    Likes Mike Stayn liked this post

Uncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura aboutUncle Rob has a spectacular aura about

On average, carisoprodol has an elimination half-life of approximately 2 hours, but may vary between 1 and 3 hours. With this information we can estimate that it’ll take an average of 11 hours to eliminate carisoprodol from your system. Considering the 1 to 3 hour range, it the carisoprodol elimination may be slightly quicker in just 5.5 hours or longer in 16.5 hours.

This means that Soma’s active ingredient carisoprodol should be out of systemic circulation in around half-a-day after taking it. However, it is important to acknowledge that carisoprodol is metabolized by hepatic enzymes (CYP2C19) to form the prominent metabolite “meprobamate.” The meprobamate metabolite has a elimination half-life between 6 and 17 hours, but is sometimes reported as ~10 hours – meaning it is eliminated at 5 to 8-fold slower speed than its parent “carisoprodol.”

To fully clear meprobamate metabolites from your system, it’ll take between 1.38 days and 3.9 days. If we were to go by the reported ~10 hour average elimination half-life, meprobamate would remain in systemic circulation for approximately 2.29 days after cessation. Due to the relatively short half-lives of both parent drug carisoprodol and its metabolite meprobamate, Soma is likely to be eliminated from your system in under 4 days.

Source: hxxp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21396230
    Source: hxxps://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/carisoprodol
    Source: hxxp://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/job185drugs/carisoprodol.htm

I would go with 5 days to be real safe
    Helpful M77 Rated helpful

joebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of lightjoebob is a glorious beacon of light

I was taking Soma for the better part of 4 to 5 years with drug tests monthly. I was also on bens0s the entire time and several pain meds. Never once did they bring up me taking s0ma specifically or I would have been removed as a patient. They even did advanced testing on me to see which specific bens0 that I was taking and that did land me in hot water but nothing for the S0ma. So for me I've always felt safe taking them regardless.
    Likes seashells liked this post

14. Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I was taking Soma for the better part of 4 to 5 years with drug tests monthly. I was also on bens0s the entire time and several pain meds. Never once did they bring up me taking s0ma specifically or I would have been removed as a patient. They even did advanced testing on me to see which specific bens0 that I was taking and that did land me in hot water but nothing for the S0ma. So for me I've always felt safe taking them regardless.
    Same here. Had regular 9-panel tests done each month and passed every time. Granted they used the standard “dip” style testing kits

Mike Stayn is offline Banned Reason: Previously banned member Chris100
    Mike Stayn will become famous soon enough

I also take Soma but i learned not to take 2 or 3 at a time just because it will make me very tired. Now i only take 1 500mg a day with some other medication i take and it works well. My doctor will not give me this medication because i take Temazepam so he feels it’s not needed and the Temazepam should do the trick. It does help me for my sleep but i think i’am missing something cause of the anxiety or panic attacks i believe i get. He doesn’t think that they are panic attacks. When you feel your heart racing and you get the feeling you’re chest is going to explode in certain circumstances, then i can’t explain it anymore then that’s the feeling i get. I don’t know what i need say so he will try something with me. We know it’s not a depression issue and it is a anxiety issue but he feels that the Temazepam should be helping with that for me. He is very careful on what he gives me. We both know that depression medication is not the answer for me. My guess is he doesn’t like using Benzodiazepines on me. One is enough to be on and should help me but the problem is it’s not helping with my anxiety or panic attacks. That’s why i’am also on this site. I need to read what others have done if they have been in this situation as i’am. So much information on this website to read and it helps so much. Thank you PR.

Mike Stayn is offline Banned Reason: Previously banned member Chris100
    Mike Stayn will become famous soon enough

I wanted to mention that my Soma has never showed up on test i ever did at a doctors office. They have never mentioned anything about me taking this medication before. I would think it’s a test that they need to test for if they wanted to know you were taking Soma or not. I don’t have a problem getting it, i’m just not sure if Soma is what i need for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Junepei View Post
    Same here. Had regular 9-panel tests done each month and passed every time. Granted they used the standard “dip” style testing kits
    @Junepei
    The gas chromatography testing is the gold standard. Without being boring (Google it for more info) it doesn’t miss anything that they look for. The mepr0bamate, that your body metabolizes caris0prodol (Brand name S0ma) used to be prescribed as the actual medication mepr0bamate, which is the generic name. There were many brands, but the most popular I know was Millt0wn. I had a doctor prescribe it to me in the 90’s for anxiety attacks. It is rarely used, if not totally discontinued, because while it was originally considered safe, it turned out to have very real dependency issues, and withdrawal similar to barb1turates. So S0ma, is now scheduled, because it metabolizes into the same med, but is still prescribed. You will get by on the dip test, but you won’t on a gas chromatography test. There are different types of testing done this way, and you can find what they look for on the comprehensive tests, easily enough by searching on the internet. Even legal research meds are on some of the tests. Good luck to all.
    Last edited by M77; 10-12-2019 at 02:57 PM.

18. @Mike Stayn, temazepam is a sedative, not an anxiety drug. the benzos usually prescribed for anxiety are diazepam, alprozolam, and clonazepam. librium too, i guess. my son has had a few anxiety attacks and was given ativan (lorazepam). most docs are worried about addiction. those who will prescribe prefer the longer acting benzos which stay in your system.

people having panic attacks often mistake them for heart attacks: trouble breathing, sweating, feelings of doom. my son was given an ekg he was so sure it was a heart attack. i used to have them years ago and was prescribed valium. obviously there's more than i mentioned, but it's strange your doc went with what is basically a sleeping pill.

a lot of doctors try prescribing antihistamines too for panic or anxiety. perhaps you could suggest trying valium or klonopin? i think if you do some reading you'll find they work well for a lot of people.

soma is a weird med because it is a muscle relaxer and used mostly for bad backs. it does have an overall relaxing feeling, but it's more bodily relaxing, not mental relaxing. i'm not a md but soma is usually used for pain rather than anxiety/panic.
    Helpful Mike Stayn, M77 Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by notcharlotte View Post
    @Mike Stayn, temazepam is a sedative, not an anxiety drug. the benzos usually prescribed for anxiety are diazepam, alprozolam, and clonazepam. librium too, i guess. my son has had a few anxiety attacks and was given ativan (lorazepam). most docs are worried about addiction. those who will prescribe prefer the longer acting benzos which stay in your system.

people having panic attacks often mistake them for heart attacks: trouble breathing, sweating, feelings of doom. my son was given an ekg he was so sure it was a heart attack. i used to have them years ago and was prescribed valium. obviously there's more than i mentioned, but it's strange your doc went with what is basically a sleeping pill.

a lot of doctors try prescribing antihistamines too for panic or anxiety. perhaps you could suggest trying valium or klonopin? i think if you do some reading you'll find they work well for a lot of people.

soma is a weird med because it is a muscle relaxer and used mostly for bad backs. it does have an overall relaxing feeling, but it's more bodily relaxing, not mental relaxing. i'm not a md but soma is usually used for pain rather than anxiety/panic.
    @notcharlotte
    You are exactly right, Temaz is classified as a hypnotic. Some of the other Benzos are for anxiety, and some are both for anxiety and have muscle relaxant tendencies too. Diaz - yes, alpraz - no. And as you pointed out, some are strictly hypnotics.
    Helpful notcharlotte Rated helpful
    Likes Mike Stayn liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.