Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 111-foot asteroid screeching towards Earth at over 22,000 miles per hour

Nitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really nice

Bitcoin?! phew ... they don't take that where I am/ was headed.

Sorry, but that asteroid was actualy my ride and the conehead musta been flying under influence or he got too close to the Sun doubling his speed; Normaly the crusing speed is around 20K, at twice that, not even an extraterrestrial could cope with the sudden accelration causing inability to breath.
    It's called the "FDirty5 effect".

It'll be sometime till the next rondevu (hope not the same bonehead)

As for donations, if you talking moonshine, beer, meat (the meat there don't taste like chicken), Solar Powered blankets and radiation-resistant over/ underwear, even if Made-in-China, that might encourage me to get them to speed up the repairs at the Pit stop.
    Last edited by Nitsuga; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:17 PM.
    Likes M77 liked this post
    We can fool the world but never ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuga View Post
    Bitcoin?! phew ... they don't take that where I am/ was headed.

Sorry, but that asteroid was actualy my ride and the conehead musta been flying under influence or he got too close to the Sun doubling his speed; Normaly the crusing speed is around 20K, at twice that, not even an extraterrestrial could cope with the sudden accelration causing inability to breath.
    It's called the "FDirty5 effect".

It'll be sometime till the next rondevu (hope not the same bonehead)

As for donations, if you talking moonshine, beer, meat (the meat there don't taste like chicken), Solar Powered blankets and radiation-resistant over/ underwear, even if Made-in-China, that might encourage me to get them to speed up the repairs at the Pit stop.
    @Nitsuga
    Unfortunately, I like all the same stuff you do, so I’m keeping mines! Lol
    If you have Netflix, watch Dark Tourist. I guarantee that you will enjoy it!
    Likes Nitsuga liked this post
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

medi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant futuremedi1 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by M77 View Post
    @GreenThumb
    They actually have concierge doctors, on staff, and a fully stocked pharmacy at their disposal. So along with their Cadillac Platinum best on planet, health coverage, while shoving the ACA up our butts, I guarantee they have every med available, at their request. I hate hypocrisy.

Same thing in big sports. As you may have heard, basically all of the Angels baseball team were abusing meds. Similar stuff came up with other baseball teams. NFL Football is worse, they give them pk’s by the boatload, so they can keep playing through pain. Billion dollar business, got to keep them happy.
    Very true and very well said!
    Likes M77, Nitsuga liked this post
    "Hope is a good thing, Maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies."

@medi1
    Thank you. Pretty sad that even in democracy, there is still going to be elitism. But power brings lots of perks!
    Likes medi1, Nitsuga liked this post
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Nitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really niceNitsuga is just really nice

A 65-foot asteroid is set shoot past the Earth at 26,843mph in a close flyby altitude of just 107,850 miles. Worryingly, NASA’s space rock hunters only spotted the asteroid about a week ago.

Asteroid 2019 VD was first picked up by NASA asteroid trackers on October 25, meaning they had little time to crunch the numbers and assess the threat level.

The space rock is roughly the same size as the infamous Chelyabinsk meteor which exploded in the skies above Russia, causing widespread damage to 7,200 buildings and injuring over 1,000 people.

Thankfully, NASA’s Center for Near-Earth Object Studies (CNEOS) determined that, while it will be a close shave, 2019 VD is not expected to hit the Earth, passing its closest point to Earth at 4:44am ET, having passed by the Moon at a distance of 158,100 miles (254,437km) at 1:17am ET.

The average distance between Earth and the Moon is about 238,900 miles (384,472km) so this flyby will be less than half that distance, making it a close call but not the closest we’ve had recently.

A Halloween night flyby came within 3,852 miles (6,199km) of Earth, passing beneath telecom satellite range, though thankfully missing our atmosphere and harmlessly going on its way back out into space.

2019 VD is an Apollo-type asteroid which means it has a much higher potential of being ‘Earth-crossing’, intersecting our orbit around the Sun, though its own orbit takes roughly 1,477 days, or about four years.

Due to its eventual flyby of other larger planets like Jupiter, whose gravity will alter its course, this will likely be both the first and last visit 2019 VD will make to this part of the solar system for some time.

Incoming! Asteroid spotted a week ago to speed between Earth and Moon
    Likes M77, pinkflower liked this post

@Nitsuga
    I’m sending you my doctor and pharmacy bills! Can we just call this thread Anxiety Central?
    Likes pinkflower, Nitsuga liked this post

@M77, you had your chance but chose to be stingy, so I'm still here.

These might appear as "the end of the days warnings" but they are not. I find them stimulating.

There were no eclipses or meteor showers happening, time was running out and had to make that one post; Incidentally, these have become more common and I seldom re-post in the same thread. Thank God for that (for your sake, imagine one awesome thread for each occurrence)

There are other more serious concerns than these pebbles being attracted to Earth, even I, find Earthlings attractive!

Donald not tweeting about them or placing sanctions on these rough space rocks does not make them any less interesting. After all, it could just be the Russians, Chinese or the Iranians?!

(not an invitation to a political debate and I AM NOT a triple agent)
    Last edited by Nitsuga; 1 Week Ago at 09:17 AM. Reason: editing

@Nitsuga
    I actually find them interesting too! I’m basically kidding around, about the anxiety. Not that I don’t have it, but it isn’t being exasperated by large flying rocks.

I would be lying if I said that I couldn’t care less about the planet being destroyed. But as far as space rocks, comets, meteors, etc., as we know and read, most hit the oceans, if they don’t burn up in the atmosphere, so it comes down to this. If a huge gigantic, flaming rock, traveling at speeds over 25,000 MPH, is going to hit us, and cause a second ice age - there’s nothing any of us are going to do about it. I just hope I have enough time to post to the Song Game, and get drunk.

@M77, So, others like me can't kid around?

If bigger ones keep missing us for another decade or two (may be even shorter), by then, Earthlings may be able to break them up, destroy them or even change their course before they are a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuga View Post
    @M77, So, others like me can't kid around?

If bigger ones keep missing us for another decade or two (may be even shorter), by then, Earthlings may be able to break them up, destroy them or even change their course before they are a threat.
    @Nitsuga
    Of course you can. I’m sorry if it came off that way. That’s basically what I’m doing, joking around about it. I actually enjoy this discussion. Of course Hollywood already touched on this with Armageddon, etc. The only problem with that is will we have the time, considering these things get detected sometimes with barely any notice. I think it’s pretty obvious they are working on it, unless they already have some plan for now, that we don’t know about. I’m pretty sure they would try to hit it. But if they missed, we are potentially screwed.

Please don’t take my comments seriously, as far as the discussion. If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t be here! Peace!

@M77, Okay, let's see, M77 so far has liked every post, he mentions about him joking a few times ... the theme of the replies and I still didn't put all the clues together ... hang on a minute ... okay, banged my head against the wall a few times, actually felt things fall in place and I still have my doubts.

Not good you have to mention it a at least one more time but this time, you've got to really try hard.

Well, I don't understand if this is a willy-waving contest or dry humour or what. And I don't understand anything about the space stuff either despite once having a passion for astronomy and studying astrophysics a hundred years ago at my very brief time at uni - before my mind decided it was not its role to help me go forth bravely into the world but to convince me the world was a scary place and I should become a timorous creature and hide away from it. So I went back to washing dishes in hotel kitchens. I think I read a lot of Carl Sagan though. Only 62 when he died.

Pointless post I know but I do TRY to understand this stuff because I used to be enthralled by it.
    Likes M77, Nitsuga, calgal99 liked this post

@pinkflower, pointless? not even close.

Here is a video for you fresh from NASA just to watch; I see the Orion's belt with the 3 Stars (called the three Kings for thousands of years) the 3 kings on Dec 25th and the star Sirius point to the place of the sunrise, hope it is not cloudy this Dec 25th:

The NASA spaceship that’s dedicated to scanning the galaxy for undiscovered worlds has captured our galaxy in stunning detail with a spectacular panoramic view of the southern sky.

The remarkable creation includes over 200 images that were snapped by the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) in its first year in operation. The plane of the Milky Way can be seen arcing across the starry landscape in the mosaic.

The research team poring over the data scooped up by the craft usually take a much more narrow focus with their investigations but they broke the mold to bring us the striking image.

“Analysis of TESS data focuses on individual stars and planets one at a time, but I wanted to step back and highlight everything at once, really emphasizing the spectacular view TESS gives us of the entire sky,” explained NASA’s Ethan Kruse.

Captured in the stunning panorama are 29 exoplanets (worlds beyond our solar system) which were discovered by TESS, and more than 1,000 candidate exoplanets that are now being probed by astronomers.

To create the view, TESS split the southern sky into 13 sectors and imaged each one of them for nearly a month using four different cameras. The incredible machines have the ability to capture a full sector of the sky every 30 minutes as part of its hunt for exoplanets.

After completing its southern survey, TESS has now turned north to begin a year-long study of the northern sky.

Planet-hunter spacecraft captures Milky Way’s southern sky in stunning panorama
    Likes calgal99, pinkflower liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12