Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the COVID-related situation where you are located?

liztaylor will become famous soon enough

I'm in Canada and things are pretty chill. I mean there are definitely people buying TP, but we still have some in stock. All schools, offices, restaurants, etc have closed. But the groceries seem to be fully stocked. That said, I think the number of cases in Canada is still pretty low, less than 200 maybe?
    Likes Lord, jaders, rainey51, Binky liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Danie View Post
    @toby
    This just flashed up as a news alert.
    Same thing they just started in CA. You can still do the things we’ve
    all been doing anyway. Grocery store, pharmacy etc. We’ve pretty much
    been doing that anyway, not much else. Can also go to work. Not sure how you would be protected
    in NY. I’m sure many have to use subway to get to work.
    New York City mayor says 'shelter in place' decision coming in next 48 hours
    Mayor Bill de Blasio in recent days made sweeping declarations to close schools through April 20, limit restaurant service and halt other forms of entertainment.

New York City shuts down while Bay Area 'shelters in place'
    March 17, 2020, 2:50 PM EDT
    By Erik Ortiz and Corky Siemaszko

The City That Never Sleeps could be shutting down in 48 hours.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday that he was considering whether to impose a shelter in place order which would essentially require residents to stay in their homes and keep outside social contact to a minimum to slow the spread of the coronavirus in the nation's largest city.

Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

"New Yorkers should be prepared right now for the possibility of a shelter-in-place order," de Blasio. "The decision will be made in the next 48 hours."

If imposed, the New York City order would be following the lead of several counties in the Bay Area, including San Francisco and Oakland, which are now prohibiting anyone from leaving their homes "except for essential needs."
    Thanks, @Danie, I just got in from getting my first-ever probiotic, so this is first I heard about deBlasio's eomments. Almost sure they will happen if they are already proposing it. But you're right, I stopped almost all of my regular outdoor exercise as of about 4 days ago, and just go to pharmacy or supermarket anyway. 'shelter in place' sounds ghastly', but then walking around with everything shuttered is not so great either. Although I can go far enough for shopping that I can manage to lengthen it because terrible to be without exercise totally. When I had gastroenteritis last week, all I kept thinking about was how that would lower my immune system and I'd definitely get coronavirus. It seemed the 'vomit mechanism' wasn't there, but that's what took the incredible stomach pain for 16 hours away, but...that leaves the 'esophagus burn', acc. to my brother-in-law who is a pharmacologist, not quite a doctor, but goes to all the big conventions and keeps up with the latest. I often call him before going to my doctor, he will often know. In fact, I was sure I had coronavirus too, but I've gotten all my strength back. Plus, just the stress of this drastic change in our lives has disheartened us, that and every time the stock market rallies (as today), it only recoups less than half the previous day's losses.

This is the only time I've ever been through (and most everybody else) where it seems as if there's only one subject that can really taken seriously. All the movies seem outmoded by now, they are from another world.

Had to pick up a plain manila envelope for something I have to send to my remaining brother. They were charging $2 each, I'm pretty sure that's gouging. But I asked him and this was a Mail Boxes type place, he said yes, lots of problems throughout the postal system. But, as usual, no way to really know anything definite yet. Probably about anything, and not till it's going down from peaking, which it's far from now.

UPDATE: Cuomo is saying NO. We'll just have to wait. I don't know how things like this are decided. Your Florida parks are closed, San Francisco is already 'shelter at home', they've got a homeless epidemic there for some years now too, but LA's is horrible too (I think LA has the biggest homeless population in the US, and I've seen their Skid Row--walked into it by accident in 2008.) I do think that party at WDW sounds pretty irresponsible as recently as Sunday. Cuomo and De Blasio always at each others' throats, but once something like that is brought up and if things increase here, as they are certain to, I don't see how they'll avoid that. It's still not like total quarantine the way those who are infected or tested positive have to live.
    Last edited by toby; 1 Week Ago at 06:21 PM.
    Likes rainey51, Binky, peppergirl liked this post

@liztaylor I saw on the news this morning that Canada closed it's border. They didn't mention number of covid19 cases but they seem to be very proactive
    Likes Danie, Seychelle, jakemoe, rainey51 liked this post

bamorris will become famous soon enoughbamorris will become famous soon enough

Current Mood: Mayor announces all bars, nightclubs, amusement parks, arcades, billiard halls, movie theaters, entertainment venues, and gyms/health clubs to be closed. Restaurants can remain open just for drive thru and take out/delivery. We also are doing our job at work to flatten the curve so we are all working remotely.
    Likes Bawston, teresita, Danie, Seychelle, rainey51 liked this post

5. For anyone who is running low on the hand sanitizers, I think a brilliant alternative item is now on the market. Just have a look/see and tell me different (lol)

Humor is *sometimes* still the best medicine (unless you have legitimate PKs.. LOL)

….………...pr cutee.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    A TEN-MILE RADIUS? Are you SURE? If people were forced into self-quarantine because they were within a 10-mile radius of an infected (or infected-dead) person, there would not be a single person in Manhattan who wasn't in quarantine! Most of us still go out whenever we please, although an infected person must surely be no more than 500 feet away and in quarantine.

This is not a 'potentially serious virus'. It is a 100% serious virus already. The PANIC occurred to people who did not bother to listen to how serious it was, and gradually hoard things which they may well need. Shutdowns of large groups were absolutely necessary. The buying panic intensified after Trump declared the National Emergency, and people knew it had to be, because he was the last person who wanted to admit that it was!

I find all of your claims spurious except that the bill just passed does not fully cover lost wages, only some people's. They will have to work on that, and I'm sure they will. It has to be bi-partisan, and complaints will begin to flow from much more than just NYTimes columnists (there's one right now, and that will call a lot of attention to this problem. If NYT is critical of a Pelosi bill, it has to be seriously flawed)

It's as though you haven't looked at the lesson of Italy alone, much less South Korea. The PANIC is perfectly natural, for those who didn't start preparing for this weeks ago. I did do so, and now am missing only Vitamin C from necessary stores of things.

Lockdown is precisely what got Wuhan under control, and then Hong Kong and Singapore and South Korea.

People being so cavalier about it at this point really are mind-boggling. I guess some can't see what is so obvious--that it is getting exponentially worse every single day.
    I really is not spurious, just not complete so here are more details.
    The situation in SoCal was that the person who died was in a hospital ten miles away. He was all over the western LA/Hollywood Hills area where my daughter was staying and ate at a restaurant her and her boyfriend
    ate at the same day about 6 days ago.
    Even before the total shutdown in California of restaurants this one was shutdown once the LA County HD and CDC learned of the contact and the possible people the deceased had been around.
    My daughter and her boyfriend were detained at O'Hare for two hours on Saturday while they were screened and tested by the CDC. Their tests came back negative, but based on the incubation
    time they are still on self quarantine for what is now ten more days. I had Amazon send them a hefty list of groceries. I am working 200 miles away and my wife has a respiratory issue that is preventing her
    from leaving the house. Luckily her employer is great and is paying her through April and longer if needed.

These are crazy days indeed and totally unprecedented in any generation from the 20th-21st century.
    Likes toby, teresita, rainey51, Binky liked this post

Hi teresita,
    Yes, i believe that was after our PM getting influenced by Mr. T. Otherwise Canada is usually pretty open with borders.
    Canada is being very proactive though in terms of telling everyone to stay home and ensuring they will get paid. Health care is also free, so if someone gets sick they don't have to pay a cent out of their pocket for any illness.

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I got the last hand sanitizer today at Rite-Aid--which hasn't been running out of things as bad. But Bklynites were right to panic-hoard 2 weeks ago, and I did some every day, then just thought I'd go in and get some doughnuts. 125 groaning carts lined up for one checkout. I split, came back the next morning early (Fri.) when lots of rain, even then about half-hour line, but I was lucky, that finished all my absoluite necessities.

But lots of places had people waiting outside for blocks to even get in the store. They actually listened to the Fed. Govt. saying this would 'disappear like a miracle'. Such horse manure, and I knew it at the time.

Think people should stock up on food they don't voluntarily usually like, some canned things. Never get canned pears, for example, but did, plus 12 cans of tuna, 16 rolls of TP, sardines. Think the strangest thing is the panic on water. This is not likely to cause water or power outages.

I wash hands regularly but am not going to worry about touching my face, no way I can live like that when I'm indoors (outdoors I discipline myself about it.) Had some legal business to clear up, managed by 15 mins. this morning. Who knows what banks will even be open by Monday? NYC a *Dark Town* now, and Cuomo and DeBlasio keep thinking they can keep from closing down schools, but it's only days they'll have to. B'way should have been shut down last week

I had terrible stomach virus but none of the symptoms of corona, in terrible pain for 16 hours, couldn't figure it out, finally vomited and it got better, but I was on verge of Urgent Care o ER, things I most want to avoid, and are already overwhelmed, as this is 2nd worst epicenter and will probably surpass WA soon.

Fortunately, had placed meds orders so I have 4-5 months supply and dr. gave me new Rx just in time. Got 5 boxes of thera-flu before there was even a run on it, and they replenished again and sold out again. Don't want any alcohol at times like this, though, makes it more depressing. You can't party and I can't go to my clubs either.

Miserable to even think about, but I intend taking long walks again in a few days, but not going in stores or getting close to anyone. Can't believe people didn't believe this was happening till Nat'l Emergency was declared, it was already so obvious.

Late-night streets here are like the old crime-ridden days. I was pushed and shoved and screamed filth at by an Irish-drunk-type homeless last Saturday about 12:30, had to run into a deli and call the police. No more nighttime strolls.

Was interested to know that the panic-buying is occurring in every kind of environment, not just claustrophobic ones like this one.

No usual liquid soap left, so I decided i could live with Irish Spring for the duration.

Good luck. You know, the 'keep calm' was so overdone, that some people got so calm that then they panicked! They needed to be semi-calm, semi-worried.
    Yesterday was St Paddy's so Irish Spring seems about right
    sage advise.
    Likes rainey51, toby liked this post

jakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud ofjakemoe has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by teresita View Post
    @liztaylor I saw on the news this morning that Canada closed it's border. They didn't mention number of covid19 cases but they seem to be very proactive
    From my understanding it's a mutual agreement between USA & Canada. Essentials only.
    Likes Seychelle, teresita, rainey51 liked this post
    F**k the DEA

Quote Originally Posted by jakemoe View Post
    From my understanding it's a mutual agreement between USA & Canada. Essentials only.
    @jakemoe correct sir. Trump and Justin had a productive tête-à-tête. Best outcome.
    Likes teresita, jakemoe, rainey51 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Danie View Post
    The parks are closed, but the resorts & hotels at WDW are closing. Either Thursday or Friday.
    I guess to give guests time to make travel arrangements.

That wasn’t the plan. They intended to leave hotels, resorts & Disney Springs (shopping area) open.
    I have a friend that does the display setups at resort stores, & today was her last day till end
    of March. All FT employees will be paid.

Our regular stores & restaurants are still open. Publix & Walmart have shortened their hours. Publix was super busy again today.
    I got TP yesterday. A group of us were waiting for them to stock shelves. I don’t think any made to the shelves.

My sister has hernia surgery scheduled for March 24th. We keep expecting them to cancel & checked on it today. It’s still on.
    The dr said it would take 3-4 hours & that’s robotic. Will be in hospital 1-2 nights. Her stomach has pushed up into her diaphragm.
    He doesn’t want to put it off since she could/is susceptible to pneumonia. She coughs constantly & has been since she
    moved in with us (close to 3 years)

I’m sure it won’t be long before we start seeing restaurants close& be pick up only, or some delivery service.

I think this is going to last longer than end of March. Some town in MN they closed schools for rest of year.

@Danie, hoping it is as seamless as possible for your sister.
    The province closed the Provincial parks including Banff and Jasper.
    It is outdoors, strange measure.
    Isolation is soul crushing.
    Likes Danie, rainey51 liked this post

@Seychelle

Thank you. They cancelled my sister’s surgery this morning. I knew it was coming, she had her preop bloodwork on Tues.

They are closing beaches, but I think they are waiting a couple days for one of them. Not sure why. Probably because there are so
    Many spring breakers there.

Most fast food restaurants are strictly drive thru only.
    Other restaurants are open but tables have to be spaced 6 ft apart, & no more than 10 to a group. Eating out right now does not appeal me.
    I am enjoying less traffic on the roads. That is the ONLY positive thing.

Take care!
    Likes El Grandote, rainey51, Seychelle, Binky liked this post
    People who choose to treat you poorly, are defining their story, not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanov View Post
    From a rough straw poll. A minor ailments corner where you can speak directly to an MD or PhD GPin my case seems pretty popular. I’ve conversed at length with a couple of MDs on the forum, 1 I believe, and one is how u say???? Full of shit. I’d be offering my advice to all who ask. Please please please always get a second opinion. This is after all only friendly advice. I would like an MD to join in on my advice seminars, as I’m unfamiliar with how healthcare functions in the states. I’d be eternally grateful if some of u old timers cud get your weights behind it and convince the mods. After all it’s only advice I’m giving u, and it’s free. Please guys let me know what u think

Dobre
    Rom
    Howdy @Romanov
    Saw my GP 2x for respiratory in last 3 weeks. Due diligence. Usually afllicted yearly, people know their own bodies. Had H1N1 around 09/10, prepared my will.
    always appreciate other point of views.

Just a thought. Probably some real medical talent on this great forum. What about a spokesperson, to digest and disseminate. I trust the brain matter present in concert with our leaders. Thoughts?

Proverbial ghost town, Fuel costs at a 25 year low. Yes, some good initiatve to travel in country. Bring your own perogies
    Likes Blackbird123 liked this post

15. I live in Colorado. Both my DH and DC are considered high risk. We are sheltering in at home. DD is back from college and not that glad to be here. As I am the only not at risk person in my house, I will likely have to go out about once a week for groceries.

TBH, it bothers me that more people are not just staying home for 2 weeks if they can afford to and/or if their jobs support work at home. Seems like it would be a small sacrifice.

Seems to me that it will be months b4 we are back to normal. Assuming our economy does not completely collapse. Scary times I so agree.
    Last edited by Blackbird123; 1 Week Ago at 11:04 PM.
    Likes Binky, Mrs Parker, rainey51 liked this post

Put it this way, I am glad I got my overseas order two says ago and won't risk ordering anything important until this thingy settles.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird123 View Post
    I live in Colorado. Both my DH and DC are considered high risk. We are sheltering in at home. DD is back from college and not that glad to be here. As I am the only not at risk person in my house, I will likely have to go out about once a week for groceries.

TBH, it bothers me that more people are not just staying home for 2 weeks if they can afford to and/or if their jobs support work at home. Seems like it would be a small sacrifice.

Seems to me that it will be months b4 we are back to normal. Assuming our economy does not completely collapse. Scary times I so agree.

Hits home. community transferred? getting big,

difficult times, reconnect with folks & family
    Last edited by Seychelle; 6 Days Ago at 08:38 PM.
    Unchartered lands ahead, Pay it Forward

Deaths. Hundreds of cases. State recommending (ordering?) not leaving homes.

Yes our PM (Trudeau) has suggested that option is not off the table; that being limited movement and curfew.

I believe Canada might get firmer on the border given what is happening in NY. Right now our transmission rate is steady and NY's is going up. Not good.
    Likes Seychelle liked this post

Our Shelter in Place, for 2 weeks, starts Thursday at 11pm.
    Nothing much different than we’ve already been doing.

Parks (WDW, Universal) have extended their closure thru April 9th ??.
    I’m sure based on Trump wanting everything to be open by Easter April 12th.

Numbers have increased since they’ve finally started to test in our county. One of the drive thru
    testing centers opened this week with
    150 available test.

We have more than 1680 covid-19 cases in FL & 22 deaths.
    Likes Binky, rainey51, Seychelle liked this post
    People who choose to treat you poorly, are defining their story, not yours.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast